• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Taunting Disrespectful?

OGPlumber

Smash Cadet
When I taunt after killing my friends, they get hella mad and I've never seen anybody taunt in a tournament.

Tails_Glados_Puff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Console ban tho
I made this thread a couple days ago LOL. Anyways, I don't think so. If you don't want to get humiliated, don't lose. Get better. We should respect each other as players however.

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
It is
Do it to people you don't like
Don't to it do people you do like

Always do it with Falcon

Massive

Smash Champion
Gotta taunt after KO to get those sweet, sweet points.
I taunt all the time; Game and Watch can even get two taunts in after KO before someone's out of halo.

Taunting is harmless, timing someone out is the ultimate sign of disrespect, IMO.

SpiderJerusalem

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NewBabel
3DS FC
4124-5499-0990
Nah, taunting isn't that big of a deal. Like others are saying in the thread, how you play w/your opponent can be more disrespectful (like if you're obviously toying with them), or just being a jerk IRL.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
It's not the taunting itself that is disrespectful. It all depends on how your opponent reacts. Most people don't mind taunting, but I remember playing against at least one person who said during a smashfest: "Seriously, if you do that one more time, I will never play with you again." He had anger management issues. ^_^

dkuo

Smash Lord
taunting is mildly disrespectful but pretty harmless overall

if you know your opponent gets mad easily and plays bad when mad you can use it to get a psychological edge :p

<LyKos>

Smash Cadet
Depends on how and why you taunt. Taunting after a kill isn't really that disrespectful, just a tad troll-ish at worst. Thennnn if you, say, taunt after getting a hit instead of following up with another hit and continuing the combo (like I do if I'm REALLY feeling it), it might be disrespectful. Might be.

ManicRaider

Smash Cadet
I haven't played with a whole lot of people before but I've never known anyone to get mad about it. I don't think I could play with anyone who does because something may not be right with them.

Kitsune91

Lone Smasher
3DS FC
4270-1611-3292
I personally don't find it insulting nor disrespectful when someone taunts me in a match. If anything I find it funny. Now if it were a verbal taunt from the player then that would be a different story..

RadVillain

Smash Rookie
NNID
RadVillain
I only taunt if i get a sick KO so i don't think that is disrespect.

KRBAY

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SSBBSonic
3DS FC
0774-4477-0228
Only if you spam it, I guess.

"YOU'RE TOO SLOW!"

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
The only time it is disrespectful is when you hit someone with Luigi's taunt.
Lol I got 2 taunt KO's on 2 different people in the past month. Taunting is not a big deal and shouldn't get under someone's skin, but it depends on who you are playing against (aka how childish they are), and actually, which taunt it is (I wouldn't be surprised if say, Ganon's taunt can be laughed at/laughed off sooner than falco's taunt which comes off as more cocky/prideful of the KO). I think taunting is funny myself and can provide motivation for the opponent, but at the same time if I sense that it is truly bothering someone I won't do it.... and probably won't play friendlies with that person quite as often lol.

Landry

Smash Ace
It is slightly disrespectful, but no than many other things you can do in the game.

All taunts are inferior to Fox's - easily the most badass

Last edited:

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Nah, who cares about taunts.

You can use taunts for a psychological advantage. Do it after every kill with a stone cold face. Makes people uncomfortable.
Or you can taunt ONLY when your opponent SD's. Then run away and play as lame as possible. That can REALLY get under some people's skin.

Metasponge64

Smash Rookie
I've seen vudujin approach with a wavedashed taunt once

Needless to say it didn't work,

Top Bottom