• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Smash 4 Still the most fair game?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Yes a game with only rushdowns will die. That is why Melee died. Oh wait, no it didn't.
Either you've never played let alone seen Melee play or your definition is broader than an SJW's definition for healthy bodies.

Last edited:

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
Yeah, Samus probably isn't the worst in the game (in my opinion, that'd be non-custom Palutena), but she's definitely no Sheik. She's basically a worse Mii Gunner, albeit with a better Charge Shot. Will patches balance the game? I sure hope so, but that doesn't seem to be what Sakurai wants to do. He just wants to nerf what people find excessively annoying (Mac, hoo-hah, Sonic (needs more nerfs)) without much regard to actual balance. "Smash as a competitive game has no future", after all.

By the way, there are worse characters than Mewtwo. He definitely needs his up air, back air, and up tilt hit boxes fixed, though.

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
If we are talking about balance, 64 is the most balanced for sure (Hell people even use Samus and Luigi and they are considered bottom of the barrel)

Smash 4 is pretty balanced though and it keeps getting more and more with each patch (the recent ones seem to be more concerned with buffing mid tiers step by step rather than nerfing the higher up chars eg: Ike, Falco, Kirby, Charizard, Robin, etc.)

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Yeah, Samus probably isn't the worst in the game (in my opinion, that'd be non-custom Palutena), but she's definitely no Sheik. She's basically a worse Mii Gunner, albeit with a better Charge Shot. Will patches balance the game? I sure hope so, but that doesn't seem to be what Sakurai wants to do. He just wants to nerf what people find excessively annoying (Mac, hoo-hah, Sonic (needs more nerfs)) without much regard to actual balance. "Smash as a competitive game has no future", after all.

By the way, there are worse characters than Mewtwo. He definitely needs his up air, back air, and up tilt hit boxes fixed, though.
Palutena is more of a lower mid tier... America has kinda thought that she was unviable just because she didn't have her customs until recently, but Japan has her in lower mid pretty much since the beginning.

And, like... Who's worse then Mewtwo? Because he's the closest to having nothing then any other character is.

Last edited:

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
Mewtwo definitely doesn't have nothing. He may not have much, but what he does have is good. Shadow Ball is a great projectile with big damage, knockback, and shield damage. D-tilt sets up very nicely, jab sets up for a grab, Disable isn't as hard to land as it seems, and obviously Shadow Claw is great. Dash attack is good, and back air is alright for edge guarding. His recovery is one of the best in the game. His neutral is terrible, though. I usually just tomahawk until they approach, then I either Shadow Claw or D-tilt. He's not as bad as most people think, but really, none of the low tiers are, so it's definitely reasonable to say this game is balanced/fair, just not as much as 64, when all twelve characters basically have 0-deaths on every other character.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
It's boring honestly. All that seems to matter in the end is having better timing and reaction time.

I used to love learning how to destroy different charaters in brawl. Weather it was an infinite chain grab or not having an answer to edge-hogging. There always seemed to be a way that I could win through knowledge and strategy.

But now in smash 4 it feels like it's all up to improving your reaction time by playing the game constantly, and that gets old fast.
BOY
http://8wayrun.com/threads/the-basics-of-soulcalibur.15258/
that all pertains to smash in fundamentals.

LuLLo

Smash Ace
It's boring honestly. All that seems to matter in the end is having better timing and reaction time.

I used to love learning how to destroy different charaters in brawl. Weather it was an infinite chain grab or not having an answer to edge-hogging. There always seemed to be a way that I could win through knowledge and strategy.

But now in smash 4 it feels like it's all up to improving your reaction time by playing the game constantly, and that gets old fast.
There's much more to it, no real abusive strategies makes for a healthy game. Brawl wasn't healthy because of those mentioned above, that game had 90/10 matchups. If you think Smash4 is boring because no chaingrabs/no edgehogging/planking/whatever, then you should just keep playing Brawl.

Top Bottom