• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is shine spiking cheap???

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
Shine spiking is in no way, I repeat, no way cheap. If it was considered as so, that would be like saying using smashes is illegal in tournaments.

You're simply exploiting and taking advantage of the best move in the game. Tell your friend to learn to get around it or take it like a man.

Airo

Smash Lord
Richmond, BritishColumbia, Canada (williams+railw
pfff ofcourse not. killing people at 15% isnt cheap at all.

jokes

well to shine spike, you still need to knock your opponent off stage first.
most foxes dont rely on shine spiking too much when making their kills.
besides, shine spike takes timing and a good chunk of experience.

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
The only thing cheap about shinespiking is that they can recover if their quick enough.
Not true. The shinespike cannot be meteor cancelled, or cancelled in any other way. The only characters that could possibly live after being shine spiked are samus, possibly mewtwo, and DK, if horizontal distance allows.

Vall3y

Smash Lord
is it cheap? yes
should you not use it? deffintly not.
play to win son. do whatever it takes.

Jeremy Feifer

Jeremy Feifer
I shine spike when i use fox cuz i suck at doing everything else with him. My noob friend always complains that im cheap so i want to know wat the community thinks. Is shine spikiing cheap or is it skills?:confused: :confused: :confused:
Um...Fox as a character is cheap... so having that said use whatever you want, cause from anyone not God tier....your gonna be considered cheap no-matter what you do... even you nutreal a is cheap...tilts cheap...smashes cheap...recovery cheap...taunt....cheap...so dont worry about a move.

CDorrian

Smash Apprentice
Not true. The shinespike cannot be meteor cancelled, or cancelled in any other way. The only characters that could possibly live after being shine spiked are samus, possibly mewtwo, and DK, if horizontal distance allows.
I mean the FOX player recovering back from the shine. He shines you, gets back, then takes you down when you re-appear. Or he'll take you down with another shine-spike if the first didn't kill ya.

Cleared it up?

NadaisaGod

Smash Apprentice
I dunno. I just shined a DK, he tried to recovered, shined him through his recovery, he tried to recover, shined him through his recovery. Then I just left him alone because he was too low to make it back that time.

Link-101

Smash Apprentice
Not just anyone can shine spike, it takes a certain level of skill on your part to get the timing down. Your friend is just going to have to deal with it man, plain and simple. Shine is part of the game and nothing is fair! =P

Link-101

Smash Apprentice
especially if your friend is using Link/YL.... just tell him to use the grappling hook that will at least add some mystery to his next move.

Wolf_FTW

Smash Journeyman
Its not at all cheap. Saying its cheap is like saying falcos spike is cheap, marios spike is cheap, ganons/falcons spike is cheap. just cause foxs happens to be the shine dose not make it cheap also fox as a char. is not cheap. Hes the hardest to master, sure he can be played cheap but so can most other people also pro players use him with tech. Also his save moves suck they can be countered mad easy if your a good player

Link-101

Smash Apprentice
Well I main Fox and I can't shine spike so obviously not ANYONE can do it -_-" it does require timing... especially if your opponent is falco-fox and is using firebird/firefox...it usually hits me before I can do anything.

Wolf_FTW

Smash Journeyman
Ya some of my friends main with fox and cant do it sooo ya you really cant beg to differ also to do it to sum chars. you need good timeing like zelda, shiek, mewtwo,pikachu/pichu

OmegaXangel

Smash Journeyman
Lawl, it's not too hard. Just get the timing down.

It does take a little skill to get down to spike them though. You don't see scrubs doing it. And Falco's dair spike is the real "cheap" move.

Miharu

Smash Hero
You don't have to play Fox to be able to shinespike.

I play with Frozenserpent. The man has the worst tech skill, and even though it's getting better, it's still pretty bad XD. Anyways. He decided to play Fox for a bit. He was shinespiking within a minute. Is it hard? No. You just need to get the timing down. Just jump into their recovery, and press downB. Free kill.

And no, it's not cheap. It's actually not that hard to avoid for the majority of the characters.

Jeremy Feifer

Jeremy Feifer
You don't have to play Fox to be able to shinespike.

I play with Frozenserpent. The man has the worst tech skill, and even though it's getting better, it's still pretty bad XD. Anyways. He decided to play Fox for a bit. He was shinespiking within a minute. Is it hard? No. You just need to get the timing down. Just jump into their recovery, and press downB. Free kill.

And no, it's not cheap. It's actually not that hard to avoid for the majority of the characters.
^Throw some dee's on that B****...agreed.

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
Of course shinespiking is cheap, I would never use it, I see that Fox doesn't need to use it in his game, and whoever does use it, has no skill. Watch this vid, I never use one shine to do anything.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aA1STBWtjnc

Lol, just messin, It is cheap, but everyone else is cheap to.

ApolloX54

Smash Apprentice
Seriously, every character has a cheap move, or a move somebody will consider cheap. Like if shine spiking is cheap and it actually requires skill, then what would you consider Doc's cape?

Abuani

Smash Apprentice
Shine spiking is in no way, I repeat, no way cheap. If it was considered as so, that would be like saying using smashes is illegal in tournaments.

You're simply exploiting and taking advantage of the best move in the game. Tell your friend to learn to get around it or take it like a man.

exactly,

Not to mention, if you get shinespiked
Its your fault.

Example of this in another character: I have a friend that spams d-smash as peach, if I get hit by it, its my fault, i was an idiot and didnt shffl right or shine quick enough, tell your friends to stop crying.

Ijuka

Smash Ace
The opponent's fault for getting hit in the first place. Why'd he get hit? Either it's his lack of skills or your superior ones. It's cheap to be a john.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
You also forgot Jiggly Puff and Pichu.

shinespike takes a big risk so tell your friend that he should take advantage of it and get around it.

Smash Master
Cheap - yielding results disproportionately greater than the input skill.
I think that considering the results (a KO against most characters) the shine is cheap, but according to my definition, many moves are "cheap," and being cheap is what makes the move good, so that shouldn't stop you from using it.

A-Laon

Smash Master
The only gripe I can ever possibly have with the legitimacy of shinespiking is its exclusive feature of being equally effective at all damages. Regardless, like any move, it doesn't really matter how effective it is as long as you don't get hit by it, and the shinespike is more than avoidable.

skrach8

Smash Lord
The shine spike does get the job done, its an awesome move. Is it cheap... i dont think so, but when someone only uses that as a killing move then you are basically doing yourself damage by not exploiting foxes best techniques. It does require skill to shine spike but make sure you use his other moves. Some of the foxes that i play with are so noob because all they do is try to shine spike. Learn the other moves its just takes practice. As for you friend that gets destroyed by the shine tell him to just wait some time. Marth can stay in the air forever if he has his second jump and his forward b. Ive been shined while on the level then once more off the level and was still able to recover.

sometimes i get shined on purpose to throw them off. its all bout the mind games.

GanonPWN!

Smash Journeyman
If a 0 % kill isn't cheap, nothing is. Everyone who claims that brings balance to the game is being stupid too.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Shine spiking is in no way, I repeat, no way cheap.

You're simply exploiting and taking advantage of the best move in the game.
I'm confused, haha.

Yeah, shine-spiking is cheap, but it takes skill to do it well at the competative level, so it doesn't really bother me.

Top Bottom