• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Samus really THE worst character in the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
ummm okaaay
wait down smash?? who uses down smash? you need to chill brah

Lets ignore this Loon

Last edited by a moderator:

Tonetta

Smash Apprentice
as if the "serious posting" wasn't bad enough around here lol

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
as if the "serious posting" wasn't bad enough around here lol
hey at least some intellectual thought has been used in the "serious posting".

If I dont believe your.... what? Lol

Y

YoshiStar5000

Warning Received
id be glad to spar with you, one quick question my angry little friend, do you even know how to use BB code? your [/quote is showing
WTF IS BB CODE

No seriously Wut is it

Suicidal_Donuts

Smash Ace
NNID
IfItIsntBryson
Popping in from SassBoards the Zelda boards since you all think she is worse. Hi. :secretkpop:

In my opinion, Samus is the worst character in the game. Her moveset and overall design is good (even though she could use an update), but the execution of it in this game was horrible. Some things to point out:
  • Jab. Why? There's no reason for it to be that awful.
  • Dsmash is abysmal and grants little to no reward.
  • Ftilt is also abysmal unless you sweetspot it.
  • Pretty much everything she does is slow and laggy, and won't kill.
  • Fair, Uair, and Usmash have trouble linking together.
  • Brb dash attacking through my enemy.
  • Her throws will never kill in a realistic setting.
  • Good luck hitting anyone with Nair.
Those are just a few things, I don't feel like pointing out everything because it's 6 in the morning, but all of that is just absurd. It's like she was made bad on purpose. Because of most the bottom tiers getting buffs while Samus remains the same, it's putting her farther back with each patch. On the case of Zelda: her major setbacks are more on her design rather than moves not working like they should, or lacking KO power. What makes Zelda bad is how laggy she is, coupled with her reliance on accuracy when her mobility is so horrible, and her lack of a proper projectile. They fixed her moves that didn't work correctly, such as Fsmash, Usmash, and the Phantom, which have helped her a lot, but don't completely address why she's so bad. Samus is far easier to fix, she just needs added knockback, fixed hitboxes, and better frame data on a few moves and she'll be in a much better position. Zelda on the other hand... She's a mess, but gives more reward for dealing with her shortcomings because of her few good strengths. Samus in this game is just so ridiculous it's not even reasonable. She needs the most fixing out of anyone in the cast right now, and until then, will remain the worst (IMO).
Samus has been my Day 1 secondary, so I'm not saying all this to defend my main, I'm saying it because I actually believe she is terrible on purpose when she shouldn't be.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
She has a lot of things that need fixing, but she also has the tools to overcome her design flaws, Zelda doesn't, and unless she gets some **** like autocancel lightning kicks from a short hop or a major design overhaul no amount of slight buffs or fixes to damage will put her above samus

Y

YoshiStar5000

Popping in from SassBoards the Zelda boards since you all think she is worse. Hi. :secretkpop:

In my opinion, Samus is the worst character in the game. Her moveset and overall design is good (even though she could use an update), but the execution of it in this game was horrible. Some things to point out:
Those are just a few things, I don't feel like pointing out everything because it's 6 in the morning, but all of that is just absurd. It's like she was made bad on purpose. Because of most the bottom tiers getting buffs while Samus remains the same, it's putting her farther back with each patch. On the case of Zelda: her major setbacks are more on her design rather than moves not working like they should, or lacking KO power. What makes Zelda bad is how laggy she is, coupled with her reliance on accuracy when her mobility is so horrible, and her lack of a proper projectile. They fixed her moves that didn't work correctly, such as Fsmash, Usmash, and the Phantom, which have helped her a lot, but don't completely address why she's so bad. Samus is far easier to fix, she just needs added knockback, fixed hitboxes, and better frame data on a few moves and she'll be in a much better position. Zelda on the other hand... She's a mess, but gives more reward for dealing with her shortcomings because of her few good strengths. Samus in this game is just so ridiculous it's not even reasonable. She needs the most fixing out of anyone in the cast right now, and until then, will remain the worst (IMO).
Samus has been my Day 1 secondary, so I'm not saying all this to defend my main, I'm saying it because I actually believe she is terrible on purpose when she shouldn't be.
I agree there. She needs buffs

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
When Ganon and Zelda exist who have basically no Favourable match ups, I dont think Samus can be worst. Even if her future is as a pocket character, the fact she has a fair few Favourable match ups makes her definitely not the worst imo, and I don't think she's bad to begin with since most of her problems come from poor up close options, but this can be overcome with good use of her zoning tools
LOL ummm :4zelda: beats :4dedede::4jigglypuff::4robinm::4samus::4charizard::4mewtwo::rosalina: and probably more. Please do research before you start straight out false facts. Yes, many of Zelda's MUs are slight disadvantages but she doesn't any REALLY bad MUs.
She has a lot of things that need fixing, but she also has the tools to overcome her design flaws, Zelda doesn't, and unless she gets some **** like autocancel lightning kicks from a short hop or a major design overhaul no amount of slight buffs or fixes to damage will put her above samus
isn't samus the one with her best approach as walk > dtilt?

Tonetta

Smash Apprentice
So the samus has bad positioning as well? So in your theorized situation where one player perfect shields everything and the other is too terrible to figure out how to position properly, yeah samus needs to approach.

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
So the samus has bad positioning as well? So in your theorized situation where one player perfect shields everything and the other is too terrible to figure out how to position properly, yeah samus needs to approach.
Even if the samus positioned the still can shield, jump, spotdodge, or roll. Have you been playing on FG lately?

Tonetta

Smash Apprentice
playing on FG is a waste of time, similarly to this conversation.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
I said basically none, not none, and I'll need a justification for why those are favourable MUs, and even if all are true that's still like half the favourable MUs Samus has, so my point remains

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408

tumblr_mopz7tCwMB1svu1pro2_500.gif

The only other thing I'd add is that missiles are just lacking. If they were more like Mii Gunner's, they'd be better. But Gunner just has better missiles overall.

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
I said basically none, not none, and I'll need a justification for why those are favourable MUs, and even if all are true that's still like half the favourable MUs Samus has, so my point remains
Samus, favorable match ups against who?
playing on FG is a waste of time, similarly to this conversation.
similar to you saying your invalid points

Rizen

Smash Legend
His jab may come out slow, but it combos into itself as well as having kill and combo setups,
^That got patched out sadly but Link did gain Dthrow>Uair kill combos. Link's lower mid tier and better than Samus imo. I'll disappear into the shadows now.

Last edited:

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
Samus, favorable match ups against who?

Luigi...
Don't bother arguing with that.

And why are people coming here and telling us dash attack and uair are bad? I haven't whiffed a dash attack in months.

Last edited:

Tonetta

Smash Apprentice
Look I understand that you truly believe in what you're saying, and that somehow samus' best approach is down tilt (which is totally wrong). However, I would like if you looked at this conversation from my perspective. A poster who posts 26 times a day comes onto my mains' board to talk **** with broad baseless claims and acts as if one player is god at the game and the other player is dog****. How am I supposed to take you seriously? Just on your post count alone I can tell you do way more talking than listening. If you go the the gameplay thread for samus, you can watch the videos of what good samus play looks like. I have videos in that thread of my own play vs top players in the game, and I can compete with them. Other players like AfroSmash have similar videos. I suggest you take some time off posting to read (or watch) for once.

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
Zelda is my second most used character and honestly Samus is a whole lot better. I'm not saying this because I personally want Samus to be better, but because it's true. Take Tonetta's advice and watch her, Afro, KayJay, etc.

-_ellipsis_-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HCLargesse
Anyone else here think that a general buff in mobility would be godsend? I mean, jab linking would be nice, but if Samus was, for instance, fast enough to follow missiles, it would be good times. It would also be awesome to advance and retreat faster than turtle speed. I think if Samus should get any buff, they should start with mobility. My $0.02

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
Anyone else here think that a general buff in mobility would be godsend? I mean, jab linking would be nice, but if Samus was, for instance, fast enough to follow missiles, it would be good times. It would also be awesome to advance and retreat faster than turtle speed. I think if Samus should get any buff, they should start with mobility. My $0.02
That will never happen. They don't change basic character traits like air speed, jump height, run speed, etc. but it would be nice ofc lol

-_ellipsis_-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HCLargesse
It does mean that it won't happen
You're wrong, plain and simple. Precedence never indicates permanence. Correlation does not mean causation. The developers have the tools to increase run speed for Samus, and all they would need is the will to do so. Saying it won't happen is a decent prediction, I'll give you that, but it's not close to being factual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom