• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is PM your main game?

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I main Melee. I have mixed feelings about Project M. Sure it's a cool mod of Brawl to make it seem like its own game and have players play it like Melee, but I don't really see it having an identity outside of being a mod for Brawl for the sole reason to make it more like Melee.
Being the best balanced version of smash with more tourney viable stages and the most individual characters and mechanics not present in other games isn't "an identity outside of modding brawl to be like melee"?

l3thargy

Smash Journeyman
Ever since I found out about Project M its been the main Smash game that my friends and I play, but if we're talking about outside Smash then I'd have to go with Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3, M.U.G.E.N, or Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition

C_Mill24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C-Mill24
3DS FC
3609-1632-1621
Being the best balanced version of smash with more tourney viable stages and the most individual characters and mechanics not present in other games isn't "an identity outside of modding brawl to be like melee"?
To me, it doesn't really feel like its own game. It may just be me but I don't find Project M very charming. I kind of have a hard time trying to argue my opinion, but the deal is is that I can't get past the fact that Project M is a mod. Given the fact that it was meant to make Brawl and Smash in general "better," as in more competitive, kind of takes away the charm. Project M, in my eyes, gives the idea that all the other Smash games aren't good enough. That's just my opinion though (not like it really matters or anything).

Also, the Wavedash mechanics in P M are pretty bad, if you ask me.

AstraEDM

Smash Ace
I main PM now, after playing all of the other popular brawl mods (plus, minus) I figure I might as well main the one with an actual scene lol

Gallo69

Smash Apprentice
I only play PM for now.
Started in 2008 with brawl, didn't like it. Tried melee, didn't like it. Went from brawl plus to brawl minus, and had fun with those but they didn't have much of a scene. When PM demo 2.0 came out I enjoyed it so much that I decided to put time and effort into getting good. When I first started, I met amazing players like Eli, Gurukid, Zhime, the rest of the FS crew. They would consistently trash me for months. I learned and improved thanks to playing them. Not only did they help me get better at the game, but they're also some of my closest friends to this day and we chill outside of smash as well. If it wasn't for PM I probably would have never met them =(
That's the reason I "main" PM. If I enjoy smash 4 when it comes out, I'll be playing that alongside PM.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Project M renders every other smash game almost obsolete. It is that much better. Of course it is my main.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
I played a bit of Brawl, was good but something missed... Only found out how good Melee is after PM 2.5 when I started watching PM videos (PAL version) so Melee would feel like a downgrade. Managed to play PM in 3.02 and it is by far my main Smash and in general fighting game (as far as you can consider Smash a fighter). Otherwise, I have a few other games of different genres which I swap through when I played one game too much (for example Age of Empires 2, Minecraft and sometimes a RPG). I always have chess which I really love (although I am not really good) and rotating between games really helps me playing them again :)

Spralwers

Smash Ace
I only play PM for now.
Started in 2008 with brawl, didn't like it. Tried melee, didn't like it. Went from brawl plus to brawl minus, and had fun with those but they didn't have much of a scene.
I love brawl minus so much. It's really too bad there isn't much of a scene for it, but who knows, maybe as smash keeps getting bigger more people will get pulled into it.

Justkallmekai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ProjectM3.0
3DS FC
0473-8282-3242
I main Pm I play it more than Melee, but I still love Melee. There's a lot of people that main Pm, come on Prog you're better than this!

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
To me, it doesn't really feel like its own game. It may just be me but I don't find Project M very charming. I kind of have a hard time trying to argue my opinion, but the deal is is that I can't get past the fact that Project M is a mod.
I kind of have a hard time trying to argue my opinion, but the deal is is that I can't get past the fact that Project M is a mod.
I can't get past the fact that Project M is a mod.

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
Since demo one I've played PM pretty exclusively.

And associating mods with poorer quality than those with shiny stickers is a pretty popular logical fallacy so don't feel lonely. Plenty of other people make the same mistake.

Of course the reality of the gaming industry is most of the progress made in the last few decades can be almost wholly attributed to mods or indie developers, that developers are human beings just like anyone else, and the literal difference between triple-a titles and mods/indie games is a name.

Sai_

Smash Apprentice
I think Project M is a pretty cool guy
he kills things and doesnt afraid of anything

Fortress

Smash Master
I find the 'it's a mod' argument to be legitimate in its own right; it is a mod, it's not a finished product. It's subject to change, anytime for any reason. Players shouldn't be faulted for their reservations of the game because of that, as it's not their fault that the game is in such a state of development.

fabulouspants

Smash Apprentice
drinkingfood should spend more time getting good at the game instead of talking **** about other games. its the reason i body you constantly in the game you main with only 3 weeks of experience you loser.

Fortress

Smash Master
Hasn't Drinking not posted for, like, an entire page now..? How many accounts does Christian Stewart's Fan have?

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I find the 'it's a mod' argument to be legitimate in its own right; it is a mod, it's not a finished product. It's subject to change, anytime for any reason. Players shouldn't be faulted for their reservations of the game because of that, as it's not their fault that the game is in such a state of development.
People use the same argument for finished mods.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Eh, it's still an appropriate point of view.
I don't see how.

This quote pretty much sums it up
Associating mods with poorer quality than those with shiny stickers is a pretty popular logical fallacy so don't feel lonely. Plenty of other people make the same mistake.

Of course the reality of the gaming industry is most of the progress made in the last few decades can be almost wholly attributed to mods or indie developers, that developers are human beings just like anyone else, and the literal difference between triple-a titles and mods/indie games is a name.
That's literally what it is.

The mod isn't official
The mod wasn't made from scratch
The mod was made using someone else's work as a base.
Etc...

Because of those type of gripes, they don't like mods.
They should be judging it based off of it's own merits as a game instead of it's "social status" in the gaming industry.

Almost as bad as not playing a game because it's made by a certain company.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I don't see how.

This quote pretty much sums it up

That's literally what it is.

The mod isn't official
The mod wasn't made from scratch
The mod was made using someone else's work as a base.
Etc...

Because of those type of gripes, they don't like mods.
They should be judging it based off of it's own merits as a game instead of it's "social status" in the gaming industry.

Almost as bad as not playing a game because it's made by a certain company.
I dont like PM because its Black, I dont trust Black games. Also pure breed all the way, halfies suck.

Last edited:

Shauce

Smash Rookie
P:M is my main game, mostly because it has so much variety and balance. The gap between the best and the worst is not very large, and there's so many characters that have become viable. I play Melee every now and then, but I'm too used to tap jump off and X as grab to play the game decently. :^(

Endeby

Smash Cadet
NNID
Endeby
Yeah. With that said, I also play Melee.

Would probably not bother with Smash if Project M suddenly disappear, though.

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
Eh, it's still an appropriate point of view.
This house is objectively better than my current one, but I don't like it because the previous owner repainted it from it's original color. The new color looks better than the old, but since it wasnt the decision of the contracter the house is worthless.

Oh you upgrade your PC, must be a real piece of garbage, why even bother replacing factory parts?

Pfft you customized your car to taste?

Haha you change your avatar and use a sig? What is the smashboards default not good enough for you? Looks horrible anyway I don't even know that artist.

You mix your drinks? I mean at least use a mixing guide, customization, innovation, and intelligent redisign and improvement is so lame and bad, How unprofessional.

Totally legit, apply the logic to any sotuation and embrace our corporate overlords, when have they ever done us wrong anyway? Private businesses are all garbage made by people or some nonsense like that, they don't have a brand name that's for sure.
After all, quality is determined by a name and who made it, not the product.

Last edited:

Fortress

Smash Master
I don't get why it's so inappropriate to have a preference of another title over PM because it's a mod. Pretty sure everybody's entitled to an opinion on it.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I don't get why it's so inappropriate to have a preference of another title over PM because it's a mod. Pretty sure everybody's entitled to an opinion on it.
They are entitled to an opinion.

But I'm entitled to tell them that it's a bad opinion to dislike something because of it's status as a game.

That's pretty much saying if Project M right now was fully complete, people wouldn't like it because it's a mod.
BUT in some strange alternate universe, Project M is a fully licensed game by Nintendo, it would be well received just because it's official.

That's just not right.

Literally comes down to "Officials didn't make it so I don't like it." I feel like im just being redundant but whatever.

This also isn't to say that everyone would accept project M just because Nintendo licensed it either. Those people would be judging the game based on how it plays and their own opinions. Not judging it because it says "Nintendo" on it instead of "PMBR"

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
I play melee primarily, because I do think the game is more smooth, such as wavedashing and other tiny things that bother me in pm. I really do enjoy playing this game, and have had more tournament success in this than in melee, but melee is certainly better for improving tech skill, while pm focuses more on spacing. This game's gonna be better than melee for sure though.

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
I main PM mostly because it's so much fun being able to play as characters I like (most of whom were low/bottom in Melee) and not have to deal with over 9000 terrible matchups. The Melee-fied newcomers and awesome stage variety are merely icing on the cake.

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
Your teachers lied when they said there were no bad answers, and as such there are also poorly backed and misinformed opinions. Illogical missasociations and malapropriations of quality with brand name products over those produced by other human beings happens to be one. And while, yeah this is just my opinion, I can back it with something other than, "well that is just how I feel." Which happens to be how good answers and strong factual arguements/opinions work. Just sayin' I'll drop it and stop being an ass now, but some things really set me off. Dodging cognitive dissonance in favor of retained selective ignorance is one one of my chief "pet-peves".

So anyway PM is awesome and imo has potential to superceed MeIee, though it may not have reached that point YET. I play it exclusively because the reality is, we have the privledge to enjoy a community-made game. PM is a game made BY smashers, for smashers. Not by Nintendo for wii-motes and bathroom playable consoles. This game has the potential to be the best thing that ever happened to this community, but it will never get there if people don't pick it up, play it, abuse it, and learn it.

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
PM has been my main game since 2.5, and has locked me down as PM always being my main game since 3.0. Holy **** this game is good.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I main PM mostly because it's so much fun being able to play as characters I like (most of whom were low/bottom in Melee) and not have to deal with over 9000 terrible matchups. The Melee-fied newcomers and awesome stage variety are merely icing on the cake.
This is definitely big for me. How much I enjoy any given fighting game is generally proportional to how much of the cast is viable and how different they are from each other. What makes P:M so great is that there's now all these new viable characters who have no direct analogue in Melee.

Satoru Iwata

Banned via Warnings
You can't main Project M, he isn't an option on the character select screen. BUT, did you know that if you successfully shoot all the credits in Classic Mode with every character on every difficulty 50 times and then unplug and replug your system while in the Wifi waiting room with 3 other people you'll unlock him?
How can this be?

Top Bottom