• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is playing Smash on "auto-pilot" really bad?

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
I've been thinking about this lately.

For some reason from my own personal experience, plenty of Smash fans criticize Project M's combo potential and combo freedom as allowing people to "play on auto-pilot". I heavily disagree with that and even if it was true, what exactly is the problem with that?

Tetris is a game that can be played just as competitively as Smash can, can be played on auto-pilot. Tetris is a game I personally can actually relax with, escape, and have fun with which are among the many stress-relieving traits many seem to like to play a video game for. Why is it a problem for Smash to be like that? Cuz on the other hand, you have Smash Ultimate which just seems to generate more stress with things like its terrible online as well as buffer, the lack of combo freedom and balloon knockback and the ultimately campy metagame.

Last edited:

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
Because Tetris isnt a fighting game and smash is. Autopilot just means that you aren’t thinking about your options. If you lost to someone who isn’t even thinking about what they are doing because the game is so lenient, its not fun because they could be worse, but win because the game allows them to win from easy to land moves.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
Because Tetris isnt a fighting game and smash is. Autopilot just means that you aren’t thinking about your options. If you lost to someone who isn’t even thinking about what they are doing because the game is so lenient, its not fun because they could be worse, but win because the game allows them to win from easy to land moves.
Well then that's good because you still have to think about your neutral to land those moves to get that combo you autopilot into especially since such games offer more of said options and certainly isn't lenient to you once you lose neutral.

Last edited:
Top Bottom