• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Nintendo Valuing Game Difficulty Over Fun Now?

the8thark

Smash Lord
This is a little opinion article I wrote when this question entered my mind. Is Nintendo Valuing Game Difficulty Over Fun Now? I wanted to try to answer the question in my own opinion. Feel free to give your comments and dissect this article to pieces if you agree or disagree with it. All commentary is greatly accepted.

Ok, below is the article that tries to answer the question in my opinion. It's only a short article but it's how I feel on the topic. I wrote before I decided to post it up here, so excuse the explaining the SSB4 references a little too much. I know everyone here knows SSB4 well.

I have played a quite a few WiiU games of recent and I have noticed what I think is a worrying trend. These games seem to value extreme difficulty over fun. Without a lot of skill in the WiiU games you are playing, you will not be totally completing the games to 100%. In some cases you will not even get close this goal. This to me is a serious issue that Nintendo need to think about.

In the golden old days, the NES days of the 1980’s there were a lot of difficult games for the console. For people used to gaming on the Atari or thew arcades, this was great. But for everyone else, this difficulty was a serious barrier for them to enter the gaming world. They did not have the skill to get very far in these games and the games did not ease in the player, the difficulty wall hit very early on.

Nintendo by the early 1990’s seemed to realise this issue. By then quite a few of their 1st party games were much easier. Super Mario Bros 3 and Legend of Zelda 1 and 2, are two examples of this. People enjoyed being able to finish the games or getting very far in them. They had more fun for their dollars spent on the games. There was also less frustration as there was no unfairly hard parts in these games. The so called “hardcore” gaming crowd did not even complain that these games were too easy that much. Their complaints were dwarfed by their praise of how well these games were made and the many hours of fun these games had.

Since then on the SNES, N64, Gamecube and Wii nothing much changed. All of these consoles had their hard games. But they also had their fair share of easy games. Probably the most popular game from all these consoles was Zelda: Ocarina of Time. This game was not very hard to complete fully. And most of the gaming community appreciated this. They could enjoy everything this amazing had to offer without facing any serious difficulty walls. The game promoted fun over difficulty. This fun over difficulty seemed to be an unspoken slogan Nintendo has had every since it learnt the error of it’s ways back in the early NES days. If a game has nice aesthetics, plays well and is very fun, people will buy it and enjoy it.

But when the WiiU released everything changed. Nintendo changed it’s stance to “We are not catering for the hardcore gamer”. This is a stance I believe Nintendo didn’t have since the early NES days. A stance which (in my opinion) could do more hard than good. This harm comes from Nintendo’s definition of hardcore gamer. Most people outside Asia feel this “hardcore gamer” term refers to people who really likes their games and plays them a lot. If you live and breathe your games then this term applies to you. It does not matter what actual gaming skill you have. Nintendo on the other hand seem to believe that the hardcore gamer is someone with serious gaming skill. And they are designing their games with this in mind.

There are two examples of this, that describe Nintendo’s idea of the hardcore gamer well.
In Hyrule Warriors the story/Legend mode is relatively easy. This is about 20% of the game. The other 80% is called Adventure mode. The game puts time, damage and kill limits on the player in these already very hard adventure mode stages to earn any weapon, heart piece or costume. The average gamer will seriously struggle with this. Struggling with games in this way is never fun.
In Super Smash Bros for WiiU there are event matches and challenges. Many of these require the player to complete various modes of the game at a very high difficulty. Doing this is optional but if not done, the player misses out on a large amount of the game’s content. There is even a boss fight that only has it’s full form at the highest of game difficulty levels.
Purchasing a game which could cost as much as $100 in some regions and not being able to experience all of the game is not a nice feeling at all.

It is not all doom and gloom for Nintendo. There is a light at the end of this very dark tunnel. Nintendo can keep it’s “hardcore gamer” stance it has recently readopted and also keep the rest of it’s customers happy. This involves introducing variable difficulty into games. This is where the game adjusts it’s difficulty to the skill of the player or where the player can experience most or all of the game at any difficulty. One example of a large gaming developer getting this right is Blizzard Entertainment. In their multiplayer games they have a MMR or Match Making Ranking. It’s a number the player never sees and in short it allows you to vs other players at you skill level and if your skill level changes, then so does the skill level of your opponents till you vs more players at your new skill level. This gives everyone a challenge without any sudden difficulty walls appearing to frustrate the player. The other way Blizzard ensures all players can enjoy the game is having 100% of the game available at all difficulty levels. The player might be able to earn a few more achievements at the higher difficulty levels but apart from that the entire game is there to be played, if you like an easier or a very hard game difficulty.

I believe Nintendo needs to adopt the Blizzard stance with respect to game difficulty, so everyone of all skill levels can enjoy most or all of the game’s content at their own pace and difficulty. having hard difficulty achievements is fine, but keeping all of the main game rewards achievable at all difficulties I believe is key to ensuring that the future Nintendo games are fun. Personally I would not recommend Hyrule Warriors, Smash Bros for WiU, Bayonetta 2 and more for casual gamers looking to take their first few steps into the more time consuming games. They start off easy but their difficulty ramps up much to quickly for anyone without serious gaming skill to enjoy them. Or they can play on the easier parts of the game and never be able to fully enjoy all of the game.

I am not saying that every game released by Nintendo needs to be very casual like Animal Crossing. Nintendo needs to realise that their “we must make games very hard now” stance is not a good thing. In my opinion this is one of the reasons why the WiiU did not sell as well as Nintendo would have hoped it would. The hardware and software design totally alienated the crowds what made the Wii such a hit. Having very hard games to cater for the skilled gamers is a good thing but give the players the choice of what difficulty they want so they can enjoy all of a game’s content at their own pace. And let the player, not the game choose what difficulty they want. Players like choice. And when that choice is taken away, sales start to suffer. Nintendo needs to address this issue ASAP or I believe their next home console will suffer the same fate as the WiiU did.

Tonzura Koite

Smash Cadet
No.

Sm4sh's single player offers harder difficulties that are actually hard. Which is refreshing when stuff like Skyward Sword was so easy as to be a chore. This is also the company that gave us an in-game "feature" that plays games for you. At least Sm4sh is a step in the right direction in that it at least gives you the option of being challenged and feeling rewarded for effort.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Yes yes yes yes yes. Both Hyrule Warriors and DK Tropical Freeze are ridiculously hard.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I don't see a problem with having hard games. People like a challenge after all.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Super Mario 3D World is pretty laughable with the difficulty for most courses. You can actually complete everything without losing over 50 lives, but I guess when you rely on the Super Leaf a lot, that can explain everything.

Tropical Freeze on the other hand, once you get to Hard Mode, you're going to really find yourself in hot water with the more difficult levels and bosses.

Anyway, I feel that Smash Wii U overdid it with the hard challenges, as not even Brawl's challenges and Smash 3DS's challenges had that many absurd objectives.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Tropical Freeze on the other hand, once you get to Hard Mode, you're going to really find yourself in hot water with the more difficult levels and bosses..
Why in the hell does that game need a Hard Mode?! My girlfriend and I are playing through the game, and the difficulty, especially the K stages, already kicks our a**es enough as is! XD

finalark

SNORLAX
Because losing is fun, goddammit!

Well, if you like really challenging games it can be. IMO difficulty and fun can go hand in hand when the right game design is in place.

Last edited:

the8thark

Smash Lord
I agree with most of the points here. And my point is really to not force people to play the harder modes for the in game rewards or to progress within the game. Make the harder difficulty / modes of the game purely optional for those who really enjoy the difficulty. And for everyone else they can enjoy the easier difficulty and still get to experience and earn most of what the game has to offer. This would satisfy all levels of game within the same game.

Smash WiiU and Hyrule Warriors (the two examples I used above) do not do this. I wish they did though.

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I find that Sakurai's approach to difficulty satisfies this problem. The Fiend's Cauldron from Kid Icarus: Uprising and the Fiend's Scale in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS exemplify this. Personally, for those players trying to maximize the hardest challenges, there should be an option to turn off the difficulty reduction or instantly make you lose your progress and start over upon defeat.

If certain rewards or areas of a game require clearing the hardest challenges, that's motivation for me to get my skill to a point where I can beat the task. I don't see why players would put themselves through such difficulty beyond the reward but for bragging rights or masochism.

The point that Nintendo taking difficulty over fun in their games' design hampering early Wii U sales seems misdirected and absurd. Perhaps you should explain further what you mean by this.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I'd say the only legitimately hard games of Nintendo's on the Wii U are W101 and DKTF. HW is tons of grinding and basically every challenge in SSBU either has an easy out or just requires grinding again. Although in HW I nearly have every standard adventure mode map A ranked with most characters being 40ish. It'd probably be complete by now if I wasn't mucking around in the DLC maps, heh.

But I like a good challenge. SSBU isn't exactly a good challenge because of all the easy wins there are... 100 KOs in rival smash for example, is spamming G&W's Uspecial and Dair on the top platform. It's so effective I had to SD after 150 points with only 20% before the Smart Bomb, heh.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
What about the 'Beat True All-Star with (Character), without using healing items' challenges? Granted, I just suck at the characters I've seen it for, but it doesn't seem all that simple to pull off.

Also, thanks for the tip about GW and rival smash!

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
What about the 'Beat True All-Star with (Character), without using healing items' challenges? Granted, I just suck at the characters I've seen it for, but it doesn't seem all that simple to pull off.

Also, thanks for the tip about GW and rival smash!
Just google whatever challenges you're stuck on. Although that one is largely just being aware and smash attack spam.

BBOY15

Smash Apprentice
Wii U games are hard? I didn't know. I expected them to be too easy. I don't have a Wii U but hearing this makes me respect Nintendo a bit more. Most of the Wii U games I see in ads look really easy and gimmicky. Maybe I'm judging them by their cover too much. I don't know if I believe the OP when they say the Wii U is getting hard. There's just no way to me that a console so gimmicky and lame can produce games that are challenging. Are the new Mario games coming out really as hard as the frustrating Super Mario Sunshine? Is Smash 4 as hard as Melee? Will there ever be another turn based game as hard as Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn? What about F Zero GX for the gamecube, the hardest racing game of all time?? I kind of doubt that Wii U games are easier, though I can't really make much of a point about this because I don't have a Wii U. I will say this though: If Nintendo is in fact making new games harder, they're picking the worst time to do it. Hardcore gamers are not going to be attracted to the Wii U anyways. We see the gimmicky controller, watered down Smash 4 and childish games, and have no reason to waste our money when we could get a PS4 or wait for the next Nintendo console. The Wii U's main demographic (I think) is casual gamers and children (because the hardcore gamers like myself hate the gimmicks) so they might as well keep doing what they did with the Wii and make games appeal to the casual crowd.

I want Nintendo to give the Wii U the same goal as the Wii: appeal to the casual crowd. They should make as much money as possible to fund their next system. Then, make the next system not freaking called the Wii-something, give it a normal freaking controller, and make hard games for it while giving casuals something to do also. I want a system with hard games, but we might as well wait for the gimmicks to be over before we make that happen.

4theRECORD

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2878-9708-8635
...What happened to all the people complaining Nintendo games are too "childish" and "easy"?
Anyway, is this really such a problem? I won't call myself a hardcore gamer(twhile I do have a large collection of games, I rarely try to get every single achievement in a game) but I currently have very few problems with any Nintendo game right now. I mean, sure the Event Matches on the WiiU are pretty darn difficult, but the casuals won't even care-they just pick easy and plow through, not even bothering to check the Challenges(I know this from personal experience, trust me) and the ones that really are hard - insert random title here - are usually the ones dedicated to the hardcore crowd, like Etrian Odyssey. Though to be honest, most casuals will play a game even if its difficult. Like Donkey Kong Country in the past, or Monster Hunter in the present. The main reason the WiiU is flopping is the same reason every console flops. Lack of games.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
So, I got Captain Toad for X-mas.

And 100%ed it before the day was done.

Yeah... And I did plenty of other stuff that day too. Smash and DKCTF are exceptions, (if only barely in Smash's case,) not the norm.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Like "Kaizo Mario 64"?
Yeah, tons of Chain Chomps and flamethrowers everywhere. Make Slowbeef and Diabetus giggle with excitement.

Personally, I do not mind difficulty in a game. God Hand hands(heh) me my ass every time I boot it up but it's still one of the funnest games I've played in years. I personally do not have a Wii U so I haven't been playing much Nintendo lately, but props to Nintendo if they're actually making their games tougher.

On the idea of "allowing all players to earn the same rewards on any difficulty", I personally can't agree with that. Locking certain things, such as extra content, bonuses, or cosmetics behind higher levels of challenge rewards the player for learning the game and being good at it and challenging themselves. It's why many games do achievements and trophies, to give the player the satisfaction of being able to say "Hey, I worked for that." If you really want something, you have to earn it.

etecoon

Smash Hero
...What happened to all the people complaining Nintendo games are too "childish" and "easy"?
Nintendo has spent so much time making easier games and catering to that kind of player that when they do change and try to make things a bit more challenging they get complaints like "struggling with a game is never fun". Just like how Nintendo had a major direction change with the DS and Wii vs what they were before and as successful as those were, they lost long time fans over it. Nintendo's just kind of had an identity issue for a long time, they don't have consistent game...or even hardware design philosophies.

TuttyTheFruity

Smash Rookie
NNID
yourkevina
3DS FC
4081-6671-6764
I really like some of the more recent design changes that Nintendo has been pushing that simultaneously allows them to up the difficulty of games while keeping them accessible to less skilled and less coordinated players. Super Guide stands out in my mind; without it, Nintendo platformers would remain either gated to less skillful players or they'd have to reduce the difficulty entirely.

I don't like easy mode mockery, which has been something of a staple with recent games, it's basically a punch below the belt. I'm less thrilled about how Sm4sh and KIU have a difficulty system that will knock you down a peg if you lose even once. "You aren't good enough to beat the game on this difficulty, let's make it easier for you".

Twewy

Smash Lord
To play devil's advocate, I'd like to point out that Smash 4 and KIU's difficulty slider can be seen as a risk/reward kind of thing. You offer currency for a go at a challenge with extra reward, and if you fail, you aren't ready for that difficulty and the reward it comes with. IMO it serves as a way to slowly improve over time and get you ready for the highest difficulty. It's like God Hand's level system, it will decline if you begin doing bad, because you aren't ready for that level of challenge yet. Both systems punish the player for performing bad on the difficulty level they feel they can handle, but also give the player better rewards for performing well.

That being said, I will agree the system feels weird in Smash 4. I think the original system of 64-Brawl worked better for a series like Smash.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I don't see anything wrong with more of a challenge. However, I believe there are still plenty of easier kinds of games in this generation like, Super Mario 3D World (3D Land being way too easy until you go to the secret worlds), Captain Toad, Kirby Triple Deluxe ect... Heck, 3D Land/World even gives you an god-like item if you die too much and New Super Mario Bros brings up Luigi to show you how it's done.

Now games that bring up challenges like smash is fine on 1 thing and bad to another. The 1 good challenge part of the difficulty settings. Pay more = Harder difficulty + more rewards. You can eventually master this part. The bad part are the challenge board. Optional but can force you to those 100% people. Some ridiculous challenges are not fun but rather tedious. Some like cruel smash challenge wouldn't put you to real skill and you have to go with "cheap" tactics to fool the muti man cpu. And playing all star with all characters on hard may be a challenge to do, but drags out way too long on doing the same thing over amd over again for about 48 times. That's not fun.

Basically some challenges = tedious and drags out for a long time and they force you if you want everything. Now back to the difficulty setting alone is the fun part. It doesn't force you to play on a harder difficulty if you don't want to (Unless the challenges forces you if you want an award). It is just there if you are ready to put yourself to the test on doing a harder difficulty and you can really feel the achievement of taking on the hardest difficulty knowing that you just took on the toughest difficulty and nothing harder can come at you, feeling like you just mastered the game and you have your skills you've learned along the way proves it.

So I guess challenges like DK TF are totally fine for me, but games where they force you do something repetitive and drags out for a long time by doing the same thing over and over with slightly different things is not fun. Or even something that you probably can't do with god-like reflexes and cheap it out by fooling with your enemies, doesn't sound exciting either.

SirJuicius

Smash Apprentice
I can't come to fully agree with the opinion that Nintendo values fun over difficulty. I look at New Super Mario Bros. for Wii U as a good example of a game where Nintendo values fun over difficulty. First off, it's really easy to collect 99 lives and there are a multitude of ways in which you can collect them. Star coins, having a Yoshi and being fully powered up and hitting a block that pops out a Yoshi egg, which hatches a 1-up, 100 coins, the flag pole trick, the POW + Dry Bones, the Toad House... Second, the levels weren't anywhere near challenging. You could practically fly/glide across the stage and not engage any enemies. Does that mean it's boring? No. It just means that Nintendo is forgiving players for mistakes.

Another game that's not so challenging, but fun is Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. I wasn't expecting anything difficult, but I was hoping there'd be more of a challenge to it. With that said though, completing it 100% does make it more challenging, because some of the mission objectives (i.e. don't get caught by the Shy Guys) did require me to think about how I go about the level. And again, free lives are easy to come by.

It makes me question whether Nintendo should have lives at all, or just get rid of them.

TuttyTheFruity

Smash Rookie
NNID
yourkevina
3DS FC
4081-6671-6764
It makes me question whether Nintendo should have lives at all, or just get rid of them.
Extra lives have been an outdated game mechanic in the Mario series since Super Mario World (or maybe even Super Mario Bros 3) precisely because free lives have been easy to come by, and have been for the better part of 25 years.

It's in there more for tradition than anything else. And because it generally feels good to earn one, they're generally harder power-ups to collect outside of bonus minigames.

Last edited:
Top Bottom