• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Nintendo even aware of the tournament community?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Is Nintendo going to any lengths to prevent any characters from being broken? Do they acknowledge the presence of MLG and its respective pro players? Are they designing Brawl solely to entertain? Or are they working to make a substantially balanced fighting engine? Do they know that guys carpool across hundreds of miles just to participate in a local, unsponsored tournament revolving around their game?

If possible, post links to sources. Otherwise, discuss.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
With Brawl in the hands of different developers some questions like "Are they working to make a substantially balanced fighting engine" might be answered with a 'yes' or a 'no'. We just don't know yet.

We do know that Nintendo is aware of "us" to an extent. They did afterall cover smashboards in a issue of Nintendo Power. But, that was NOA who really has nothing to do with games. We can assume that there is a similar site in Japan which NOJ may be familar with. Considering they listened to ideas for characters I'd lean in favor of their acknowledgement of "serious players".

Pit 42

Smash Lord
I don't know. All I can say right now is that it will probably be developed solely for entertainment value, simply because the team developing it is a team that has spent a great amount of time playing Melee. That being said, I would hope that Brawl could be a balanced fighting machine for tournaments like MLG and be used still for fun also.

Zink

Smash Champion
I find the idea that they don't know about pro Smash rediculous. It's just so huge, they'd have to find Smashboards or 1upsmash or something when doing research on sales or w/e. I expect they are trying to balance balancing (...) with fun play.

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
If they make it so that every character is equally useful in singles matches......I would be the happiest smasher alive. But 60% of people would still use Fox/Falco/Marth >.>

Red Exodus: That's not entierly certain. If they found a Japanese smash tournament community, then they'd be likely to look into other countries and see if it's just as prevalent. It's been said before, they're starting to look outside of Japan for influences in their later games.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
They did try to profit of the tourney situation by trying to run a crappy tournament in Nintendo World in NY.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I'd be very sad if the game's balance was thrown so far outta whack that tournament play was unfeasible. I agree that the game should focus on fun. 4P mayhem is where it's at! However, if we lose the option to take the game seriously then Nintendo is cutting its market in half.

felix45

Smash Lord
after reading the translation on how they want to slow the game down and dumb it down a bit to make it easier, I'd have to answer that as a no. (all based on the translation sticky)

even though Nintendo Power did do an article for FC3...lol

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I'm sure they do know that we're out here, but I'm pretty sure they're not going to go through tons of hard work just to make the advaned smash scene happy.

Out of all the SSBM copies sold, I bet that below 20% of the players even know there's such thing as competitive smash.

From what I've heard, they're trying to make it more of an 'everyone can play' game... so who knows.

Everyone with a Wii is going to buy one. I don't see why they should even worry about us.

Gkryptonite

Smash Journeyman
I sure hope they still let you wavedash, I've done so much practice and I don't want it to be a waste when Brawl comes out

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
My concern is that I want to be able to pick up any character and eventually win. I don't want cool characters like Kirby neglected due to sucky moves/lag.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
The people who develop games are videogamers themselves. Furthermore, they are experts on the game they're developing. It's pretty stupid to imagine that the developers are naive and unaware of competitive Smash-- don't you think these guys TALK about the game they're making? I mean, c'mon. Of course they're aware of it.

Besides that, doesn't EVERY developer do their best to make their game fair and balanced? Whether we're talking about Smash or Mario Kart or Halo or Virtua Fighter,, the developers are ALWAYS going to try to balance their games, because balanced games are more fun for casual AND dedicated players.

AS Juggernaut

Smash Journeyman
first of all of course they are aware of the competitive community, but i think they are adding to it a bit by makin more advanced air combat. yea, accordin to the translation thread they did slow it down, but advanced air combat sounds like competitive fun

Majora Zach

Smash Cadet
The people who develop games are videogamers themselves. Furthermore, they are experts on the game they're developing. It's pretty stupid to imagine that the developers are naive and unaware of competitive Smash-- don't you think these guys TALK about the game they're making? I mean, c'mon. Of course they're aware of it.

Besides that, doesn't EVERY developer do their best to make their game fair and balanced? Whether we're talking about Smash or Mario Kart or Halo or Virtua Fighter,, the developers are ALWAYS going to try to balance their games, because balanced games are more fun for casual AND dedicated players.
To emphasize that comment:

SmashBros.com said:
I was surprised when I saw the GameCube controllers they were using. The coating on the analog stick was worn down like an old eraser...
"Our guys have played Smash Bros. more than 10,000 times!"

It had to be a lie.
But when I saw their battle records, it showed a terrible number of matches that were not fabricated.
So yeah, that's pretty clear that the developers are hardcore gamers themselves.

Variety of characters was what made Melee great. You could use different characters for different events to have colorful matches which made the game fun.

I doubt they'll take that away. We're talking about Nintendo here. They're all about variety.

felix45

Smash Lord

*coughMORTALKOMBATcough*

who? huh? what?

mark.

Smash Journeyman
after reading the translation on how they want to slow the game down and dumb it down a bit to make it easier, I'd have to answer that as a no. (all based on the translation sticky)
thats true, but when i started playing melee on the release date (and unlocking stuff/ 1p mode) the game was kinda hard. well, the event matches and harder diffulcties.

Keige

Smash Journeyman
I kinda liked that fact that I could pwn with anyone in the first one. The game definatly doesn't need to go faster, and I support the slowdown, but it should stay close to Melee's speed than 64's.

Gkryptonite

Smash Journeyman
Maybe slowing it down isn't in the game like freeze frames, maybe it's something like a more user friendly introduction. Seeing as how a noob would be overwhelmed with so many people at his disposal, and so many different things to do.

I don't know, just a thought

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
I don't want cool characters like Kirby neglected due to sucky moves/lag.
You are the first person on this board that I've seen refer to Kirby as cool outside of the Kirby discussion... I'd +rep you if it existed.

That is also what I want, a chance to pick my favourite character, or any cahracter, and have an okay cahnce at winning I want there to be no Melee bottom and low tier. What I mean is, there will be bottom and low, but they'll have about as much use as High and middle in Melee. I want most of the characters to be as equal as possible. Unfotunately, Pit and Metaknight already look broken, and Kirby doesn't look like he's enjoying much improvements. [I know he has the Upsmash thing, but that's not confirmed, yet.]

On topic: I'd certainly hope they don't simply remove everything. IF they do leave it in, I'd be happy. If they remove it on purpose only to make the non-competitive scene happy, I'd be pissed. If they use some lame arguement like 'It wouldn't be fair for online', I'd be pissed. We take the time to learn the tactics, why shouldn't we be able to prosper? If they dumb down the game so much, it will be sucha waste. Brawl still has a lot of potential, but the hit frame lag is looking awful already.

Fortunately, it's still in development. So, all we can do is wait and see.

froz3ntear

Smash Ace
Is Nintendo going to any lengths to prevent any characters from being broken? Do they acknowledge the presence of MLG and its respective pro players? Are they designing Brawl solely to entertain? Or are they working to make a substantially balanced fighting engine? Do they know that guys carpool across hundreds of miles just to participate in a local, unsponsored tournament revolving around their game?

If possible, post links to sources. Otherwise, discuss.
I'd like to think that Nintendo acknowledges the pro players just because... the magazine made from nintendo (nintendo power) acknowledges things like wavedashing and mentions the top players, so I'm sure realize that there are balancing issues...

Too bad its such a huge task to make smash balanced... i mean... Its already hard making games like tekken and street fighter balanced and they are fighting games where everyone has the same weight, height, set combos, hit with only limbs. ssb has projectiles and different weights, heights, hit boxes... It's such a hard game to balance.

manacloud1

Smash Champion
hmmm

actually nintendo is aware of the tournament scene both in japan and in america, but do they care not really. Mlg has spoken to nintendo and nintendo basically wants their own stuff non affiliated with any other company such as microsoft or sony. When it comes down to it does pro players make a difference? not really, game developers make games and they do it how they want it, they dont care about whats broken or not they do it for the general public and do their best to fix glitches. Now you ask do they care whats broken or not? Its only forums like this and people with no lives that discover every broken subject out there aka( mew2king ) people need lives, and developer develop games. Do they care in the end? nope, they just make games and we just play it. When it comes down to it its all about money. This may sound sad and depressing but its the truth get over it. Also this is just my knowledge of the tournament scene for all the people who dont care what i say you dont have to listen or write something about it.

ehjay111

Smash Apprentice
Well there not trying to make it unbalanced. So you would assume that its going to be balanced. Also i highly doubt it will be dumbed down. WHen you look at the transistion from 64 to melee how aware we they of the smash community. How was mellee? We all love it clearly. I have faith it will be great.

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
i think they do. But im like 60% sure. They said how they were goin for a more balance game. I Just hope they ask us about it. Cause japan's not the only place that likes smash.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
Despite what many of you think, the advanced level Smash players make up a very small portion of Nintendo's consumer market for this game. Overall, high level fighting game players don't really make a huge impact on their respective fighting franchises, but rather what usually makes the difference is what will sell better, i.e. should we overhaul the game and tweak everything that needs to be tweaked, or should we slightly update and add a few new gimmicks. That being said, Nintendo does seem to do a much better job of trying to keep fans happy than other companies, and Sakurai definitely seems to want feedback from players, so you never know.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Well, one thing that would be cool would be updates via Wifi. How tight would that be to discover a misbalance and have it mended with a patch? That would make smash more godly than it already is. ^_^

DragonCharlz

Smash Cadet
Well, they did say they were taking balance into consideration, so I guess we can take that as a minor thumbs up. Honestly, no game is going to be balanced except for Street Fighter (the first one, where you only had Ryu for 1p and Ken for 2p). The best thing you can hope for is that the difference between the top tiers and the low tiers won't be too great. There are a few games where the low tiers can win every once in awhile, like Virtua Fighter and on occasion Tekken 5: DR (I don't believe it can happen in the other version very much). Then again, there are games where the total opposite is true where low tiers don't even stand a chance (like Marvel vs Capcom 2). Honestly if the fighting engine in Brawl is good enough it will help balance out the game as it is. For example, in MvC2, the top tiers for the most part have 8 way air dashes, quick air movement, or moves that are so stupid that you wouldn't believe someone would let you chain it on someone 3 or 4 times to take their whole life bar. Then you have Tekken 5 where if you mix up the other people well enough you most likely can win with everyone, its just obviously easier with certain character than others. Hal just needs to make sure that they balance out speed, power, range, and manuverability between all the characters and it should turn out pretty good. Don't give 1 person really good speed, power, range, and manuverability cause that would make the game automatically unbalanced. But back to the engine, as long as all characters have the tools to work with, it should be alright.

Malificent

Smash Apprentice
I just got my new EGM awhile ago and they announced this game for Fall. But not only that but in the description of the game, they announced that it will have online play, which we all expected anyway. What online game out there isn’t competitive? There are a couple of exceptions and I know some smart ***** are gonna post them. Viva La Piñata, doesn’t count. So as far as competitiveness goes with this game, I am sure it will have the same drive as Melee if not more.

DragonCharlz

Smash Cadet
Oh yeah, I'm sure they are aware of the tournament scene, too. I think every company is aware that makes a fighting game, but some obviously care less than others.

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
actually nintendo is aware of the tournament scene both in japan and in america, but do they care not really. Mlg has spoken to nintendo and nintendo basically wants their own stuff non affiliated with any other company such as microsoft or sony. When it comes down to it does pro players make a difference? not really, game developers make games and they do it how they want it, they dont care about whats broken or not they do it for the general public and do their best to fix glitches. Now you ask do they care whats broken or not? Its only forums like this and people with no lives that discover every broken subject out there aka( mew2king ) people need lives, and developer develop games. Do they care in the end? nope, they just make games and we just play it. When it comes down to it its all about money. This may sound sad and depressing but its the truth get over it. Also this is just my knowledge of the tournament scene for all the people who dont care what i say you dont have to listen or write something about it.
thats true, but then why would any game company balance a game? its because they want people to play their game for a long amount of time. look at halo 3. bungie is blitzing everyone with "balance changes" alongside new guns. they are trying to make their game as competitive and balanced as possible. why? the longer a game is popular the more moneyit makes. now nintendo is less likely to do that, but if their game was seen as not only being a fun party game, but as a competitive game, it would only expand the fanbase, and thus earning more revenue.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Are they aware of pro-players? Yes.
Do they care enuff to make the game more balanced just for them? No, because pros only make up a tiny bit of the people who love and play this game.

Yeah, they want to make this game more balance (I believe that I read a quote of Sakurai saying they are making this game with balance in mind) but the way I see it they are just trying to make it more balanced for the avrg gamer.

Example: MEWTWO! A character that was loved by millions of pokey fans. Once every pokey fan unlocked him and played as him they felt a conflict between emotions. Yeah, they loved the character, but at face vuale he seems to play/ work very badly when M2 actually has reason to his stats.

So I think they mean that the avrg gamer can play as their fav character, like M2/ Browser, but still have fun when they are fighting a character such as Fox/ Falco. These would be because the gap between said characters would have been reduced enuff so that everyone can play without getting bumed because their fav is crap when fighting so-and-so character.
(These would also, in turn, help the pro gamers IMO. Thats because even if they are lessening the gap for avrg gamers to have a more fun/ balanced game they are still lessening the gap none the less)

Takalth

Smash Ace
Why are people talking about appealing to PRO players? That isn't the topic. The topic is appealing to COMPETITIVE players(a much larger pool than pros).

By what I've read, Smash is the #1 game on the gamecube by a fair margin. Heck, a used copy still fetches over $20 in most places, while Metroid Prime (another top title with a similar age) costs almost nothing.

When any business not run by idiots does something incredibly successful, they spend time figuring out what that was, so that they can do it again.

So, the question is, what made smash work so well? It is that smash appeals to every skill level. People talk about competitive vs. casual players as if there's some line between them, but that isn't the case at all. There is a huge range between highly casual and highly competitive and quite a few players at every point on this scale.

So, to answer the original post, I would say "Yes, Nintendo is both aware and interested in the competitive community." In SSBM, Nintendo created a formula that produced the most successful game on the console. I don't see any advantage to switching to more of a Mario Party formula where the guy who's played 20 hours has about equal chance to the guy who's played 2000.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Why are people talking about appealing to PRO players? That isn't the topic. The topic is appealing to COMPETITIVE players(a much larger pool than pros).

When any business not run by idiots does something incredibly successful, they spend time figuring out what that was, so that they can do it again.
This guy hit it right on the bullseye. I'm sure Nintendo & Sakurai are trying there darndest to appeal to the tournament crowd (I'm part of these people) & at the same time, trying to impress peeps who just play it for fun. So, I'm sure that this game is going to be delayed more than even Twilight Princess.

MikeMan445

Smash Journeyman
To emphasize that comment:

[Snip about the developers having played for 10,000 hours or some such thing]

So yeah, that's pretty clear that the developers are hardcore gamers themselves.
Having played forever doesn't mean anything. There are people who play Smash religiously and don't even know what wavedashing is. It is not how often you play, it is who you play. I'm 100% confident someone from these boards with a basic knowledge of advanced techniques, who has been to decent tournaments and placed top 10, could kick the everloving crap out of any one of the developers in japan. They're most likely guys who love the game and love the idea of making another, in their 30s, with tremendous programming/artistic talent.

Think about it. Nothing about any one of the "advanced" techs is obvious. I had no idea what wavedashing was or how it could be useful before I started playing good people. I had no idea what L-cancelling was or how it could be useful.

Someone mentioned earlier about how less than 20% of smashers know about the tournament scene. Are you kidding? I'd estimate less than 5% know about it, and pro gamers, as big as our community has gotten, constitute a vanishingly small percentage of the population that has purchased a copy of Super Smash Brothers Melee.

My prediction (you heard it here first): All of our techs that we take for granted will be gone, with the possible exception of l-cancelling (maaaaaybe). The game will be radically different, everyone will be dissapointed, and people will continue playing Melee competitively. At this point either a competitive Brawl scene will arise based around new "glitches" and new "advanced techs", or the game will be scene as more primitive and a vibrant tourney scene will not form.

The game will be radically different from Melee. The sooner people realize this the sooner they'll sleep better at night.

As far as Nintendo's concerned, people who can wavedash or l-cancell don't matter at all. That doesn't sell games. Colorful characters with random items and "wacky, zany fun" sells games. Cause really, that's how we all started out, right? Well, most of us.

Manacloud's got it spot on. Those of you who don't know who he is should find out, and then go back and read what he's got to say.

Edit: one more thing.

By what I've read, Smash is the #1 game on the gamecube by a fair margin. Heck, a used copy still fetches over $20 in most places, while Metroid Prime (another top title with a similar age) costs almost nothing.

So, the question is, what made smash work so well? It is that smash appeals to every skill level. People talk about competitive vs. casual players as if there's some line between them, but that isn't the case at all. There is a huge range between highly casual and highly competitive and quite a few players at every point on this scale.

So, to answer the original post, I would say "Yes, Nintendo is both aware and interested in the competitive community." In SSBM, Nintendo created a formula that produced the most successful game on the console. I don't see any advantage to switching to more of a Mario Party formula where the guy who's played 20 hours has about equal chance to the guy who's played 2000.
You're completely off base here. Smash didn't sell well because it appealed to competetive players. Smash selled well because it has a solid, engaging physics engine, fun characters, a decent amount of depth to be offered, and compelling characters with fun moves in exciting stages. All of that is what sold so many copies. 98% of people who ever bought smash do not know what wavedashing or l-cancelling are. The game has a solid amount of depth to those people, and is just darn fun.

You're also wrong about the fact that there is no "line". There is absolutely a line. The line is, if you've been to tourneys or played people who use advanced techs and are good, or you haven't. It is impossible to be (by our definition) decent at this game without having the mindgames and experience that comes with tourney practice. Thus, people who attend tournies and practice their tech skill and mindgames will be 500% better than people who don't. That is the line.

And what you don't seem to realize is that this line is drawn at like 1 to 2% of all Smash owners. That is what I, and many others, mean by the "competitive scene." So no, they will absolutely not cater to us. They do not care about us. They might unintentionally do things that we like. But they might not.

Takalth

Smash Ace
You're also wrong about the fact that there is no "line". There is absolutely a line. The line is, if you've been to tourneys or played people who use advanced techs and are good, or you haven't. It is impossible to be (by our definition) decent at this game without having the mindgames and experience that comes with tourney practice. Thus, people who attend tournies and practice their tech skill and mindgames will be 500% better than people who don't. That is the line.
I will concede that the line between tournament and non-tournament people exists (though you might be surprised at how close some of the semi-competitive smashers are to being tournament capable), but I've seen an incredibly wide range of skills in people who don't go to tournaments. I have a friend who started going to tournaments(and previously had never played anybody who went to them), and by his second one, tended to place in the top 5. He probably would have the first tournament as well, but he hadn't seen shield grabbing until then.

Sure, most of the people who bought Smash within the first couple months bought it for a cool style or because their favorite character was available, but that's not enough to keep a game selling. Many people wait for friends to get them into a game before purchasing, and many people, after logging a certain number of hours into a game, turn around and sell it. The vast skill potential of smash gives it lasting value, causing people to keep their copies, so that instead of going out and buying a cheap used copy because the market is flooded with them (which doesn't make $.01 for Nintendo), people tend to buy new ones because a used copy costs almost as much.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
This is all very intriguing input. It makes sense that Nintendo would use some formula to ensure a semi-balanced fighter.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but imbalances occur when a character has ridiculously high (or low) lag on various moves. There are other factors as well (overpowered up-smashes, etc.), but mostly it's about who whips out their moves the fastest. Sheik, for instance, has low lag on all her moves. Her superiority comes strongly from the fact that she can combo so well through smoothly connected moves (in addition to having a ridiculous forward-tilt). Fox and Falco are extra deadly in having a 1-frame move that hits both sides of them. :p

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
This is all very intriguing input. It makes sense that Nintendo would use some formula to ensure a semi-balanced fighter.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but imbalances occur when a character has ridiculously high (or low) lag on various moves. There are other factors as well (overpowered up-smashes, etc.), but mostly it's about who whips out their moves the fastest. Sheik, for instance, has low lag on all her moves. Her superiority comes strongly from the fact that she can combo so well through smoothly connected moves (in addition to having a ridiculous forward-tilt). Fox and Falco are extra deadly in having a 1-frame move that hits both sides of them. :p
thats not EXACTLY true. i know alot of characters whos moves come out fast as hell. ylinks nair. pichus nair.

what really makes an imbalanced character is how useful a move is. for instance, shine. what makes it so good is the implementation of it, how space animals are the only characters in the game that can attack a shield and not be afraid of being chaingrabbed or how both of them, if they connect, can lead to massive combos. shieks fair is another example of this. it is used as a crazy kill/edgeguard move. peaches dsmash is used in so many situations its ridiculous.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
thats not EXACTLY true. i know alot of characters whos moves come out fast as hell. ylinks nair. pichus nair.

what really makes an imbalanced character is how useful a move is. for instance, shine. what makes it so good is the implementation of it, how space animals are the only characters in the game that can attack a shield and not be afraid of being chaingrabbed or how both of them, if they connect, can lead to massive combos. shieks fair is another example of this. it is used as a crazy kill/edgeguard move. peaches dsmash is used in so many situations its ridiculous.
I agree, but I also referred to the lag on various moves. For instance, Young Link's neutral-air comes out super fast, but it can only hit once, and it lingers for a long time (huge lag); considering he isn't a good fast-faller (thus not great at SHFFLs), it's not a good example of a move. Moves like Marth's forward-smash and Fox's up-smash are examples of powerful moves with relatively low lag. The speed of L-cancels is another big factor.

Anyway, my point is that characters in Brawl should have a balancing formula applied. For every laggy move, that character should have a decent replacement via another move. For instance, Bowser is way laggy, so good players compensate by using his up-B move a lot in order to deal with faster characters. Bowser should've been given a couple more low-lag moves in order to compensate for his slow SHFFLs and wavedashes and whatnot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom