• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is melee too outdated in todays standards?

Is it worth getting a gamecube for melee?

• YES!!!

Votes: 52 78.8%
  • no i don't think so...

Votes: 14 21.2%

• Total voters

Omegascizor456

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aldog12
3DS FC
2449-5093-2142
Now with this thread dont think im insulting melee AT ALL but ive only played melee a handful of times(Im sorry guys:( ) But anyways, i was wondering if i should buy a gamecube to play it on as i have already sold my wii... What are your opinions as if melee is worth doing that for?

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
If you can afford it or get it for Christmas, I think it is worth the money. I still think it is a better game than any other Smash (although Brawl and Sm4sh have more content, Melee's gameplay is much smoother and faster). If you can't get Melee, you can get PM and a Wii. Because of backwards-compality, the Wii might be a better deal at this point unless you want to play Game Boy games on your TV really badly.

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
I would definitely aim for a Wii instead, that way you can get PM too in case Melee isn't working out for you (and you can get Smash 64 for VC too if you want). Plus, if you don't want to bother unlocking everything, there's a simple homebrew app for the Wii to copy saves to a GC memory card, so you can copy over a 100% Melee save (believe me, you'll want to, Melee's unlock criteria is pretty ridiculous).

I only recently got back into Melee like a month ago or so, first time I've played since playing very casually like eight or nine years ago. Still holds up extremely well, so that won't be an issue at all.

Fakes

Smash Apprentice
Melee is totally worth it. It's such a perfect accident and no fighter will ever come close

undergroundmonorail

Smash Cadet
What response did you think you were going to get, asking about Melee in the Melee Discussion board? We're all here because we love the game. Of course we're going to say it's worth it.

It's been a month and a half, tops, since I bought my Wii. That purchase was specifically for Melee. I haven't regretted it for a second. Take that as you will ;)

D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

Last edited by a moderator:

Mastodon

Smash Apprentice
Yes, but getting a wii is probably easier. Plus, as mentioned earlier, you can put 20xx on it, or just run SSBM off of a flash drive (since a melee disc is extremely pricey nowadays, and disc errors are a thing).

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
The only problem with having a Wii is that some tournaments have only GameCube setups to ensure no mods, so that would be a slight limiting factor if you wanted to bring a setup. Other than that, Wii is probably the best.

Mastodon

Smash Apprentice
The only problem with having a Wii is that some tournaments have only GameCube setups to ensure no mods, so that would be a slight limiting factor if you wanted to bring a setup. Other than that, Wii is probably the best.
Fair. But if you're going to an event with those kinds of standards, I wouldn't expect to have to bring my own set up anyway.

Either way, I heard the developers for 20xx are currently working on a version that will run off of a GCN memory card though, so getting a GCN could be just as ideal here soon.

Last edited:

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Considering how relevant Melee still is, it definitely can't be considered outdated.

Also consider that around 2000 I'm sure kids were still getting NES games for Christmas if their parents couldn't afford to move up 2 generations. Which was almost the case for my family.

M.C.Jeducation

Smash Apprentice
Melee's never going to be outdated. The community is still growing after 13 years which is absolutely insane. Buy a Gamecube or Wii immediately and jump on the smash hype train.

Racuncai

Smash Cadet
it's limited for tournament setups and usage of modern tv's, some day the game will need to move forward in that issue, but the game itself is worth it, it's soo damn good.

fatman667

Smash Journeyman
Melee is totally worth it. It's such a perfect accident and no fighter will ever come close
*cough* Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R and to some extent Guilty Gear Xrd as well are both just as good and is way more balanced *cough* Seriously though, Guilty Gear XX AC+R was by far the hardest game for me to get into and every matchup in the game is crazy, Guilty Gear is kind underrated tbh. And yes it was even harder for me to get into Guilty Gear than Melee, but both games are insanely technical at top level play.

Anyways, yea, Melee is a great game, though it isn't the most balanced game, so don't be surprised to see a ton of Fox, Falco, Sheik, and Marth players out there. Though low tier heroes exists in Melee. Wii has 20XX and that helps a lot, 20XX is possible with GC with a modchip. Wii U is also good if you have a GC adapter on it and soft modded it.

Racuncai

Smash Cadet
*cough* Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R and to some extent Guilty Gear Xrd as well are both just as good and is way more balanced *cough* Seriously though, Guilty Gear XX AC+R was by far the hardest game for me to get into and every matchup in the game is crazy, Guilty Gear is kind underrated tbh. And yes it was even harder for me to get into Guilty Gear than Melee, but both games are insanely technical at top level play.

Anyways, yea, Melee is a great game, though it isn't the most balanced game, so don't be surprised to see a ton of Fox, Falco, Sheik, and Marth players out there. Though low tier heroes exists in Melee. Wii has 20XX and that helps a lot, 20XX is possible with GC with a modchip. Wii U is also good if you have a GC adapter on it and soft modded it.
Melee and GG are in the same awesomeness tier dude, technicall hypest tier xD

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
People still play SF2 because the community there loves their game that much. People will play melee for as long as they love the game (forever).

Any Smash game, even Melee, is really easy to get into. Tell me an easier to learn fighting game. Even casuals can learn how to play Melee. Averaging all tournament viable characters, Guilty Gear's technicality seems much more demanding. Melee's technical demands seem to be mostly on Fox, Falco, and Ice Climbers. Characters like Peach, Jigglypuff, Sheik, and Marth don't seem to demand (as) much technical ability. Or should Fox and Falco be given more weight since they're 2 of most played characters at tournaments? As for Guilty Gear, characters in general just feel more complex, even on the surface. The wall for simply learning the basics of what characters do is much higher in GG than in most fighting games. The simplest characters I know of are Sol, Ky, May, and probably Milia (I haven't tried every character in +R, I'm still a bit new to the series). They aren't much more complex on the surface than a Street Fighter character

Last edited:

fatman667

Smash Journeyman
Any Smash game, even Melee, is really easy to get into. Tell me an easier to learn fighting game. Even casuals can learn how to play Melee. Averaging all tournament viable characters, Guilty Gear's technicality seems much more demanding. Melee's technical demands seem to be mostly on Fox, Falco, and Ice Climbers. Characters like Peach, Jigglypuff, Sheik, and Marth don't seem to demand (as) much technical ability. Or should Fox and Falco be given more weight since they're 2 of most played characters at tournaments? As for Guilty Gear, characters in general just feel more complex, even on the surface. The wall for simply learning the basics of what characters do is much higher in GG than in most fighting games. The simplest characters I know of are Sol, Ky, May, and probably Milia (I haven't tried every character in +R, I'm still a bit new to the series). They aren't much more complex on the surface than a Street Fighter character
Yea I meant Melee is hard to get into at a competitive level. I would still say even Ky can be technical at times (though not nearly as hard as Eddie, Venom, I-No, etc.), but the thing is that FRCs can be pretty technically demanding in AC+R for all characters and if I remember correctly they have, on average, a 3-4 frame time window to execute. Not saying Ky is hard, but FRCs just forces people to take time to learn a character instead of just picking them up in a few minutes. Millia I would say would be as hard as Marth imo, easy to pick up, but hard to use effectively, Millia is one of those characters where you can't screw up at all because of your really low health and you must convert every little hit confirm to a hard knockdown (well only hard enough to use a disk or Secret Garden after the knockdown) and set up okis afterwards, Millia only needs to know 2 FRCs imo, disk and Bad Moon, to be fine in a competitive level. Marth is like Millia in a sense where he can't play recklessly or else characters like Falco will easily kill him and that he needs to combo off of any good hit confirms or grabs he has. Overall Guilty Gear XX AC+R is really hard, even for the most basic competitive level. Guilty Gear Xrd is different, FRCs are replaced by YRCs (they serve a similar role, but some moves that were FRCable in AC+R are not YRCable on hit and can only be RCed if it does hit, every move can be YRCed as long as your opponent is not in hitstun or blockstun) and the time window to YRC can be longer than an FRC in most cases, but some can still be insanely small. Late YRCs turn into a PRC which is a YRC that costs twice as much meter and has a slower startup, just to balance the mechanics of YRCs. Guilty Gear Xrd is definitely easier than AC+R, since no FRCs and it's at the same pace as #Reload (so slower than AC+R for sure), but I think they made the game easier the right way without removing too much depth that made the series so special. Melee can definitely be hard to get into at a competitive level though, but Guilty Gear is just the hardest fighting game to get into for sure.

Zone

Smash Champion
Disagree, While executing basic concepts may be harder as fox/falco/IC.

I think MOST characters at the highest level are REALLY hard to play. Having to have perfect spacing as marth is a technical ability that's hard to master by itself. Doing a SH-fair with marth is easy. Doing one at the right moments and reacting to your opponents speed is a whole other ball game.

I have a much more hard time technically handling falcon when I react to tech's than I have with anytime I use fox. I feel like the reaction time needed in falcon is much more stricter than reacting with fox.

I think just for the sheer fact your opponents can come at you fast and avoid you fast, makes any character hard to use. If that wasn't the case, we'd see more top jiggs players because everything she does is EASY. But when you fight the best, everything she does suddenly becomes hard.

JDP

Smash Rookie
Disagree, While executing basic concepts may be harder as fox/falco/IC.

I think MOST characters at the highest level are REALLY hard to play. Having to have perfect spacing as marth is a technical ability that's hard to master by itself. Doing a SH-fair with marth is easy. Doing one at the right moments and reacting to your opponents speed is a whole other ball game.

I have a much more hard time technically handling falcon when I react to tech's than I have with anytime I use fox. I feel like the reaction time needed in falcon is much more stricter than reacting with fox.

I think just for the sheer fact your opponents can come at you fast and avoid you fast, makes any character hard to use. If that wasn't the case, we'd see more top jiggs players because everything she does is EASY. But when you fight the best, everything she does suddenly becomes hard.
This guy really knows what he's talking about. Melee is the hardest game I have ever played but it is also the most fun game I have played. You have to expect to invest a ton of time to learn how to play at a competent level but that shouldn't discourage you because if you are having fun than that's all that matters.

Top Bottom