• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Jigglypuff a tournament viable character?

CHOVI

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHOVI3
3DS FC
3566-1571-6130
So apparently, most people find Jiggs to not be a very good character and not viable to win tournaments. Personally, I can't find many flaws with her. Sure, approaching may be hard, but it's not IMPOSSIBLE, so I don't really understand the logic behind Jiggs not being viable. She doesn't have TERRIBLE matchups that I know of.
What do you guys think?

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
So apparently, most people find Jiggs to not be a very good character and not viable to win tournaments. Personally, I can't find many flaws with her. Sure, approaching may be hard, but it's not IMPOSSIBLE, so I don't really understand the logic behind Jiggs not being viable. She doesn't have TERRIBLE matchups that I know of.
What do you guys think?
I think she is totally tournament viable, being at the top of mid tier or bottom of high tier imo, and some pros like zer0 agree on such. It's just that she has a high learning curve this game, which is a turn off. No one wants to put work into her when there are easier and better characters. She is viable, we just have to work on her. She is BARELY viable tho I think...

CHOVI

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHOVI3
3DS FC
3566-1571-6130
I think she is totally tournament viable, being at the top of mid tier or bottom of high tier imo, and some pros like zer0 agree on such. It's just that she has a high learning curve this game, which is a turn off. No one wants to put work into her when there are easier and better characters. She is viable, we just have to work on her. She is BARELY viable tho I think...
I agree with you. The learning curve is real. The first two weeks I used her I barely won any matches and felt extremely weak, dying really early and such (and I'd already been playing the game for a while, so I wasn't THAT terrible).
Now though, she feels really good :)

GspotJackson

Smash Rookie
NNID
GspotJackson
She's definitely viable. But people only see her in melee and think that's how she is still played, but in reality she has many changes. Specifically her throws aren't really that good unless you're trying to get them off stage, her back air no longer strings it's Fair that strings now. Her neutral air is great and so is Pound. However the biggest thing is how much better sing is. Despite it being hard to pull off, at least most of the time, they wake up after song ends. The above post is true though. She has a high learning curve. Still, she is viable and I hope people see that. She's my secondary and I enjoy her a lot.

Envioux

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Envioux
This isn't bias, she's viable. People automatically assume otherwise because no one wants to put effort into characters that require too much of it, Jigglypuff is one of those characters. It feels a lot more satisfying to place high in a tournament with Jigglypuff than say, Diddy Kong, I'll tell you that much. Don't give up, be the innovator of your character.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Jiggles is definitely one of the more overlooked characters this time around. She is still definitely viable however.

Use your opponent's ignorance against them.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Everyone is viable.
Except Mii Swordfighter.

Also Jigglypuff is most definitely viable. She's got some nasty MUs, and in a tournament setting probably works best as a counterpick character (if someone sends out Megaman, you can bet Ima be takin out my Jiggs) but she can definitely be used.

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
Except Mii Swordfighter.

Also Jigglypuff is most definitely viable. She's got some nasty MUs, and in a tournament setting probably works best as a counterpick character (if someone sends out Megaman, you can bet Ima be takin out my Jiggs) but she can definitely be used.
Idk man, didn't Trela get 1st with him in a tournament. I'm pretty sure he's viable just less than everyone else

CHOVI

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHOVI3
3DS FC
3566-1571-6130
Dthrow to uair is so good.

And uh...

his bair and fair are okay. But dthrow to uair alone might make him viable. lol.
dthrow to fair also works at some percentages (I haven't used him much, but I've annoyed some friends with that combo...)
Except Mii Swordfighter.

Which nasty MUs are you talking about? I mean people ALWAYS mention some secret nasty MUs but tbh, I haven't found them

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
dthrow to fair also works at some percentages (I haven't used him much, but I've annoyed some friends with that combo...)

Which nasty MUs are you talking about? I mean people ALWAYS mention some secret nasty MUs but tbh, I haven't found them
I would never go Jiggly against any type of sword-wielder. It's just not a happy time.

Marth and lucina can shieldbreak. Also Marth has tippers. Shulk and Ike can kill Jiggly stupid early too.

It's just not worth it.

CHOVI

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHOVI3
3DS FC
3566-1571-6130
I would never go Jiggly against any type of sword-wielder. It's just not a happy time.

Marth and lucina can shieldbreak. Also Marth has tippers. Shulk and Ike can kill Jiggly stupid early too.

It's just not worth it.
Shieldbreaker can be ducked. Shulk and Ike are really slow and big and easy to punish.
I mean out of those, Marth is the only one I'd say is kind of bad, but correct spacing can save you. I mean, I get where you're coming from, just saying those MUs aren't too bad.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Shieldbreaker can be ducked. Shulk and Ike are really slow and big and easy to punish.
I mean out of those, Marth is the only one I'd say is kind of bad, but correct spacing can save you. I mean, I get where you're coming from, just saying those MUs aren't too bad.
Correct spacing from what? The dude has a sword. XD he also plays the spacing game. Lucina is the same as Marth, but without tipper. So Marth is worse, but Lucina is certainly bad as well.

Ike and Shulk are slow IN SPEED (cept, ya know, Speed Shulk) but they have attacks that come out quick, and can outprioritize Jiggly, easily, due to the disjointed hitbox.

Also yes, you can duck shieldbreak

But I'd rather NOT face off against someone that can OHKO me if I make a tiny mistake, tyvm.

If you aren't scared of swords you haven't faced enough good swordsmen.

Last edited:

CHOVI

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHOVI3
3DS FC
3566-1571-6130
Correct spacing from what? The dude has a sword. XD he also plays the spacing game. Lucina is the same as Marth, but without tipper. So Marth is worse, but Lucina is certainly bad as well.

Ike and Shulk are slow IN SPEED (cept, ya know, Speed Shulk) but they have attacks that come out quick, and can outprioritize Jiggly, easily, due to the disjointed hitbox.

Also yes, you can duck shieldbreak

But I'd rather NOT face off against someone that can OHKO me if I make a tiny mistake.

If you aren't scared of swords you haven't faced enough good swordsmen.
I mean you only need to not let Marth space correctly (?) I mean, I know avoiding tippers is hard, but it can be done.
which attacks from Ike and Shulk outprioritize Jiggs? I'm almost certain dash attack beats most of their fast attacks(?)
And yeah, you're right about shieldbreak.
And tbh, meh, I've faced some good Marths and some good Shulks but when I lost, I didn't lose because of the matchup but rather mistakes from my part

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I mean you only need to not let Marth space correctly (?) I mean, I know avoiding tippers is hard, but it can be done.
which attacks from Ike and Shulk outprioritize Jiggs? I'm almost certain dash attack beats most of their fast attacks(?)
And yeah, you're right about shieldbreak.
And tbh, meh, I've faced some good Marths and some good Shulks but when I lost, I didn't lose because of the matchup but rather mistakes from my part
If both players play perfectly, which is what a MU should be based off of, Jiggly has very few options to approach Marth and Lucina, if they just keep you away with their sword, since their sword can hit Jiggly without trading.

It's not about avoiding tippers, its about simply, not being able to get in easily, and it being dangerous to do so. At least, against melee fighters, like captain Falcon, they can't keep us away very easily because Jiggly's fair has a great amount of priority. It's just...priority doesn't mean much when you're up agaisnt a sword as long as your body.

Also if Jiggly can get in to Ike and Shulk's space, they CAN do some damage, BUT

1. It's dangerous, due to their sword beating out any of Jiggly's aerials easily
2. They both have counter, so you can't just approach recklessly to get inside their space.

only times I've beaten a Shulk or Marth as Jigglypuff were when the players themselves are quite a bit below my level.

It's just not worth the struggle. And that's what makes these bad MUs. They are a struggle. Jiggly has to try so much harder in the MU.

Last edited:

Jiggly

NNID
Jiggly101
No she doesn't, sword characters take up more space, but if you space well it's easy to get in. Especially since all the swordsmen dont have the best recovery.

Spam Dash Attack :)

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
No she doesn't, sword characters take up more space, but if you space well it's easy to get in. Especially since all the swordsmen dont have the best recovery.

Spam Dash Attack :)
But if they space well as well it's not so easy.

I'd say the biggest infractor of that is Marth though. Shulk and Ike are in my book, bad (mostly Shulk, out of these two) due to their kill power.

I also do hope you realize spamming dash attacks is a horrible strategy against any competent player btw

Last edited:

Jiggly

NNID
Jiggly101
But if they space well as well it's not so easy.

I'd say the biggest infractor of that is Marth though. Shulk and Ike are in my book, bad (mostly Shulk, out of these two) due to their kill power.

I also do hope you realize spamming dash attacks is a horrible strategy against any competent player btw
the dash attack thing is a joke, but dash attack out prioritizes a fully charged fsmash of any of those characters, that was my point. Range isn't everything. If range won you a match, marth would be the best character in the game. Diddy doesn't have amazing range, but he's still the best character in the game. It seems like your "vision" of range is incorrect. Especially since even in melee, marth is a good MU for jiggs.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
the dash attack thing is a joke, but dash attack out prioritizes a fully charged fsmash of any of those characters, that was my point. Range isn't everything. If range won you a match, marth would be the best character in the game. Diddy doesn't have amazing range, but he's still the best character in the game. It seems like your "vision" of range is incorrect. Especially since even in melee, marth is a good MU for jiggs.
It doesn't outprioritize, simply clashes with.

And range is not everything, not at all. But it's much easier for Jiggly to fight a melee character, than a character with disjointed hitboxes.

Or am I wrong?

Also Marth's range was nerfed, js o3o

Jiggly

NNID
Jiggly101
It doesn't outprioritize, simply clashes with.

And range is not everything, not at all. But it's much easier for Jiggly to fight a melee character, than a character with disjointed hitboxes.

Or am I wrong?

Also Marth's range was nerfed, js o3o
no, I beat shulks fsmash and then hit shulk. I think jiggs dash attack is the move with the most priority in the game.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
no, I beat shulks fsmash and then hit shulk. I think jiggs dash attack is the move with the most priority in the game.
Is it now? Huh.

I should test that.

Also isn't DK a bad MU for Jiggly? S'what I heard from a good DK main.

Flamjam

Smash Cadet
NNID
Flamjam
I’ve had success with Jiggly at tournaments, although I think it’s necessary to play other characters well because she has some verrry unfavourable matchups *shakes fist at the 20 million sonics in my local scene*. But I think it’s easy to underestimate her, but from what I’ve learned, matches with Jigglypuff become very, very tense for the other player. I’ve had loads of people tell me just how terrified they are of making the wrong move, spacing something incorrectly or rolling in the wrong direction, because I can rest it. Her combo game is pretty good, she’s extremely good at weaving in and out of projectiles and attacks. The only real difficulty I’ve had is with diddy and his insane up-air which kills too early (which will hopefully be nerfed) and sonic, whose grab seems to beat her attacks. As well as being susceptible to early KO’s from every other character. It’s problematic but she’s definitely viable I think.

Last edited:

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
With both an improved Rest and overall change in physics from Brawl- I'd say yes! most definitely!
Fair strings work wonders on gimping some characters that are considered better than Puff, and with the new over reliance on shield use becuz of the lack of shield stun, Pound has found us new favor~

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Honestly, I find Puff to be amazing at mindgames. Like, shielding an attack can lead to an easy rest, because of the huge amount of landing lag on most aerials, and her Sing ledgecancel actually WORKS as a surprise haha. (plus Sing seems to work as a..counter, of sorts, vs melee dudes like Mac and Captain Falcon)

Also her dash dance is great, cuz both her bair and fair can be used depending on which mixup you go for, and running back and doing a reverse side B can punish whiffed grabs and dash attacks.

<3 Puff

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Despite what Hungrybox may tell you, I think Jigglypuff is indeed viable. It's just that nobody really knows how to use her. Jigglypuff is going to be one of those characters that's going to take lots of time to develop. Eventually, someone is going to show up and **** everybody with Jigglypuff, then the Jigglypuff Bandwagon will start rolling. That's usually how it goes. There's this one who started showing up to Xanadu, his name is Serynder. He's really good. He just has really ****ty luck and gets stuck fighting dudes like GimR and Seagull (ew). That's proof right there that Jiggly is definitely viable. The person makes the Puff, that's how I feel about it.

Jiggly

NNID
Jiggly101
Despite what Hungrybox may tell you, I think Jigglypuff is indeed viable. It's just that nobody really knows how to use her. Jigglypuff is going to be one of those characters that's going to take lots of time to develop. Eventually, someone is going to show up and **** everybody with Jigglypuff, then the Jigglypuff Bandwagon will start rolling. That's usually how it goes. There's this one who started showing up to Xanadu, his name is Serynder. He's really good. He just has really ****ty luck and gets stuck fighting dudes like GimR and Seagull (ew). That's proof right there that Jiggly is definitely viable. The person makes the Puff, that's how I feel about it.
Recently Hbox has been going back on his previous word, and now thinks Jiggs is viable.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
F you.

:018:

VeteranUnderdog

Smash Rookie
NNID
VeteranUnderdog
3DS FC
3110-7027-9609
Maybe not against every character. If the tornament allows counterpick characters i wouldn't pick puff into a campy character like link. Landing rests seems harder than in past smash games, but the constant fair/nair/bair rush can be useful against slow characters and put a lot of people out of their comformt zone.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I don't think she's worth the trouble; optimal play likely revolves around camping the ledge, but she struggles to get the percent lead to begin with. Her neutral game just isn't dangerous enough.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
She's ok, but she still has a lot of flaws that overtime IMO, will have be severe.
Because of her playstyle she can eventually get predictable and as time progresses, easier to fight, I will admit she's fantastic in doubles.
But her many flaws are significant
Lightest character
Short ranged attacks
Poor ground game
Laggy ground attacks
Worser recovery because of pound losing momentum
Sometimes having trouble landing KOs
Has no projectile
Slowest(just above Robin) Walking and Dashing speed.

These flaws all together are so huge.......
I still think she is somewhat viable, but I wouldn't really count on her for winning tourneys, but that's just my opinion.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Large since I namesearch daily. Don't be rude to someone you have never even spoken to. Didn't your mother teach you manners?

:018:
You search your own name every day? Not exactly helping your image here. But don't you know? Manners fly out the window when you're on the Internet. As does common sense, intelligence, you know, things of that nature.

Top Bottom