• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it worth it...

Monib

Smash Cadet
to practice shuffling and shffling and the sort on a TV with lag?
I don't want to be wasting my time, i could get a CRT if it's a better idea.
Thanks for the replies in advance

Wobbly Headed Bob

Smash Journeyman
You can get CRTs at goodwill for 1 dollar, just do that please.

You can get acquainted with l-canceling and shffling in a laggy tv, but you'll most likely need to readjust slightly when you get your crt.

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
The timing doesn't actually change on an individual technique, but to chain them all in a combo(which requires visual reacting), it'll be a different experience on a CRT vs HDTV.

noobird

Smash Journeyman
One quesiton: does dolphin have lag when playing on the Mayflash adapter?
always. there will likely be audio lag AND input lag. That is, not only will your inputs be registered a few frames late on your monitor, but your audio will also come LATER than what would be expected based on the monitor. I think you can sort of alleviate this issue by dumping the audio files from the gc disc directly, but input lag will always be there... maybe if your cpu/gpu are really good then you'll be okay, but i don't think there's a way to get no lag (or no humanly perceptible lag)

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
I've practiced SHFFL'ing a lot on my flat screen and when I transitioned back to CRT I didn't notice a whole lot of difference in my timing since it's reactive anyways. Trying to go back to playing on the flat screen is a different story though, it's only a few frames of lag but damn is it annoying to try and play on.

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
@TerryJ: It seems that most of that probably has to do with how the L-cancel is buffered.

Anyways, when it comes to Dolphin, from what I have heard, regardless of lag, it is still good practice. I mean, Gamecube had online capabilities and there was even a game that utilized it. Why has nobody hacked this yet? (I would but I would probably **** it up)

Zodiac

Smash Master
if you are just starting to learn then I would say no, go grab a crt.

Top Bottom