• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it wise to have a main?

Ol-Jeb

Smash Apprentice
An ol' shack out in Antarctica, the last frontier.
Having a main allowed me to get better at brawl as a whole (believe it or not >_>) When I picked D3 and stuck with him I started to learn more about how he worked in comparison to other characters in all sorts of ways. Granted I can play most characters decently (exceptions being Sonic, Falco, IC, and Olimar) I play D3 (and my second, Marth) at my best and they really compliment each other. Focusing on only a couple characters leaves you open to their weaknesses, but as a player its up to you to decide whether you want to find a way around those weaknesses or just add another character to make up for them.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
Yus! You need a main. Just like others said, it's because you need to focus on what character to get that character better! If you focus on more than one character it's hard to try and get one character better because you are working on other characters as well. Until you are completely solid at a character start with one character at a time. It took me over a year to become better with my main, and now I can use another character. But it's going to take awhile and a lot of time to get that character better as well. So it'll take awhile! But mains are important. XP

TheOriginalSmasher

Smash Ace
Yus! You need a main. Just like others said, it's because you need to focus on what character to get that character better! If you focus on more than one character it's hard to try and get one character better because you are working on other characters as well. Until you are completely solid at a character start with one character at a time. It took me over a year to become better with my main, and now I can use another character. But it's going to take awhile and a lot of time to get that character better as well. So it'll take awhile! But mains are important. XP
ehh... I suppose

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
I cannot begin to emphasize the importance of having a designated main. In a game like Brawl where every movement and attribute of every character is pivotal to the flow of battle, you need to know every aspect of your character in relation to all the others.

I didn't start getting serious with Brawl until around 6 months ago. I cycled through mains like nobody's business. As such, I could never focus on character specific MUs, rather, just a generalized playstyle with each character. Then I finally decided to stick with Ganondorf. Ever since, I've progressed exponentially and haven't stopped. I'm a better player now than I ever imagined I could be.

Investing yourself into one character yields knowledge, which, in Brawl, is everything. I never thought I'd be able to compete with high-level players as Ganondorf when half a year ago when my character choices were more sporadic I could barely contend with mid-level players as characters like DK and Fox.

Speer

Smash Rookie
I personally have only used Snake and sort of wish I would try some other characters. With that said, I only play this game with friends (usually 2 v 2 double tournaments, 10 people) and we pretty much all have our own mains and we've learned each others strategies, so changing my main or trying other characters is kind of pointless.

Top Bottom