• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it Weird to Use Something You Love in Your Work so Much?

Sarix

Smash Ace
Link to original post: [drupal=5147]Is it Weird to Use Something You Love in Your Work so Much?[/drupal]

The Story:

So today after our portfolio class I was talking to some friends about a summer project another friend and I were going to be working on to build our skills. They were curious and I told them we were thinking of making a basic fighting game because I really wanted to get better at animation and he wanted to stretch his programming skills. Immediately, they bandwagon-ed on to be artists for it, clearly loving the idea for a group project.

Then they asked what kind of fighter it would be to which I told them it be a mascot fighter with gameplay similar to Smash Bros only in more of a 3D arena rather than a 2D plane. Again, they thought it was a cool idea and then asked if I had planned out anything yet. I answered that because I'm a member of the Smash Community that I had been grabbing references on frame data, animation schemes, hit boxes, character play styles, etc. from the forums.

My friends then all stared at me, clearly wowed at me being so technical about something, again. One of my best friends in the group then hugged me and told me how he loved it when I became really smart on him. After that I left and it seemed that even after my minute lecture/schpiel on what I had been looking for for references, my friends still wanted to do the idea.

The Question:

So now my question is, is it weird that I'm using my passionate interest in Smash Bros to fuel my passion for character animation in my major, or is it just me?

I know that it's difficult to build a fighting game, heck it's difficult for any bunch of college sophomores to build a game. I don't plan on stealing from the series I just wanted to use it as a model for a way to design the gameplay to be fun to a general group of people and so I can learn better animation techniques and possibly battle coordination.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
No, it's called being inspired by something.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Pretty much what he said.

Inspiration shouldn't be considered to be weird.
Unless, you're inspired by weird stuff.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Weird, you're definitely weird.

Make sure not to let Brawl inspire you.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
XD Yes, sorry.

I'm actually jelly that you are so inspired to do something like that.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
My friends then all stared at me, clearly wowed at me being so technical about something, again. One of my best friends in the group then hugged me and told me how he loved it when I became really smart on him. After that I left and it seemed that even after my minute lecture/schpiel on what I had been looking for for references, my friends still wanted to do the idea.
That warmed my heart.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Please tell me that was joke, heel.
Not many people will get this, but that is so perfectly put LOL.

Unfortunately he he decided to chicken out and say it was a joke. :(

Sarix

Smash Ace
Well glad to know I'm not crazy, lol. I'm actually modeling one of the characters for a final in one of my classes for the project this summer. I'm really looking forward to animating him. :)

TL?

Smash Ace
What are you guys programming this in? I don't know how you can make a "simple" fighting game in the style of smash. The smash style of fighting game is extremely complicated, with all this extra stuff that traditional 2d fighters dont have. I'd be impressed if you made this in one summer.

Sarix

Smash Ace
What are you guys programming this in? I don't know how you can make a "simple" fighting game in the style of smash. The smash style of fighting game is extremely complicated, with all this extra stuff that traditional 2d fighters dont have. I'd be impressed if you made this in one summer.
We're not so much aiming for a finished product so much as using the difficulty in making fighting games to stretch our skills. Considering how the physics are such a core of smash we're more aiming for just using the simple elements such as button inputs and maneuverability, if we get some form of demo in the works by the end of the summer it will likely be something simple, low key, & fairly cheesy..

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
It sounds like what you're trying for is not unlike the combat system used in the Tales rpg series. Being able to tilt the joystick up, down, forward, or neutral to net different attacks, both basic attacks and special moves, shielding, moving around in 3 dimensions. I've always thought of those games feeling very similar to smash in the way you control your character. Would make a very interesting fighting game.

Sarix

Smash Ace
The gameplay in that series is something I've always found intriguing and I'm glad you brought it up so I can start taking notes from that as well.

Top Bottom