• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it true that Brawl is completely broken?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
I've heard that some characters can rank up damage from 0 to 100 and beyond with the opponent unable to do anything. That wasn't the case with Melee, was it?

AlexX

Smash Ace
Inescapable combos that go that high? With hitstun as low as it is in Brawl? No, that's not possible.

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
Dedede's chainthrow is just one example. Fox's reflector is another one (against a wall). And I heard there are more.

Browny

Smash Hater
it can get close to it, though i think 100% is going way too far

Lucario can CG fast fallers/heavyweights and finish with undodgeable combos to get from 0-70%. a few others can CG but not to that high %.

obviously theres the IC 0-death, but that was in melee anyway.

AlexX

Smash Ace
Dedede's chainthrow is just one example. Fox's reflector is another one (against a wall). And I heard there are more.
Dedede's chainthrow is only inescapable by 2 people: DK and Bowser. Mario, Luigi, and Samus can't be chaingrabbed more than 5 times due to stale moves, and the others have ways to escape it (and some like Olimar can't be chaingrabbed at all).

Fox's wallshine can't be done just anywhere. It requires a wall and proper set-up in order to do.

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
Wario can't escape it either. And what do you mean by "stale moves"?

Yeah, but if you have a wall?

AlexX

Smash Ace
Wario can indeed escape it, and stale moves refers to the fact moves get weaker if you keep using the same one over and over.

How many stages have a wall? Most don't, and if you're on one that does, your opponent has to pin you against a wall before they can perform the moves. If they focus too much on doing that, you'll probably get the upper-hand more easily.

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
No, he can't. And it doesn't matter how many times Dedede uses it, Wario (and most other characters besides Jigglypuff) ALWAYS flies the same distance to the left or right without being able to do anything at all.

lethminite

Smash Apprentice
No, he can't. And it doesn't matter how many times Dedede uses it, Wario (and most other characters besides Jigglypuff) ALWAYS flies the same distance to the left or right without being able to do anything at all.
my troll-dar is going off

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
^ Ignore Mr. Troll-dar.

Slugma, what you say is true. For example, there is the Pikachu on Fox chaingab (can go up to 80%), and also the CG by Falco (usually up to 40 or 50%).

The game is really unbalanced unlike Melee.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
There are several chaingrabs that will take you from one end of a stage to another with each grab moving forward so little that it'll be 0-100+. There's also Marth's and Pokémon Trainer's grab release on Ness.

Also, the one people always forget: Zamus' Dsmash Chain on a few characters.

Yes he can.

Only, we banned them all (except for stages with temporary walls).

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
It's really so unbalanced to the fact that some characters are just not downright usable because of certain things.

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
I personally don't consider Brawl as broken as people come off (it's definitely unbalanced, but not unplayable). The main reason we get complaints like chain grabbing or camping is because they are not "exciting" or "cool" strategies. Even if camping is the best strategy, most characters still have options to work with to prevent stalements from happening. I personally play in such a way where I try to space myself and put myself in safe positions to attack as much as possible.

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
There are several chaingrabs that will take you from one end of a stage to another with each grab moving forward so little that it'll be 0-100+. There's also Marth's and Pokémon Trainer's grab release on Ness.

Also, the one people always forget: Zamus' Dsmash Chain on a few characters.

Yes he can.

Only, we banned them all (except for stages with temporary walls).
How does he then? I didn't manage to di it.

"We" like in...?

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
I personally don't consider Brawl as broken as people come off (it's definitely unbalanced, but not unplayable). The main reason we get complaints like chain grabbing or camping is because they are not "exciting" or "cool" strategies. Even if camping is the best strategy, most characters still have options to work with to prevent stalements from happening. I personally play in such a way where I try to space myself and put myself in safe positions to attack as much as possible.
Why would you play something boring when you can play a game we all know which is much more fun?

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
Dunno. I don't play as Wario, so I don't know how Wario gets out of DeDeDe's chaingrab. Just that he can. Try DI:ing and jabbing.

"We" = The Competitive Smash Community
That's exactly what I've tried, but it doesn't work! Wario is completely immobile long enough for Dedede to grab again. I want to see proof that he can get out of it.

I see. Smashboards?

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
But what exactly makes it so unbalanced? Please not only write "it is". Explanations, anyone?

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Lol, yes it is (sorry Slugma, rofl).

MK + Snake > The Other Characters

Also, like I said in my previous reply, some characters are unusable in certain events.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
But what exactly makes it so unbalanced? Please not only write "it is". Explanations, anyone?
God Tier vs. Bottom Tier is ridiculous. Also, there's a God Tier, that's how bad it is!

In Melee, Mewtwo vs. Fox was nowhere near as imbalaned as God Tier vs. Bottom Tier is in Brawl. There's a bigger Mid Tier in Brawl, though. But the gaps between the tiers are bigger.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
What's MK?

Who is god tier then? And who is bottom? And why?
You've supposedly been around since 2002 and should therefore know your way around Smashboards. How about you actually go out and educate yourself on Brawl for once instead of making threads expecting people to feed you every single bit of information?

(The answer to these questions, and most of your other ones, are easily found on these boards... in fact, the answer to one of these questions can be found in the other thread you made)

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
You've supposedly been around since 2002 and should therefore know your way around Smashboards. How about you actually go out and educate yourself on Brawl for once instead of making threads expecting people to feed you every single bit of information?

(The answer to these questions, and most of your other ones, are easily found on these boards... in fact, the answer to one of these questions can be found in the other thread you made)
Seriously, what's up with the attitude on Smashboards??? Are you not welcome if you're not a smash expert? :(

Adapt

Smash Lord
No, its just that people here expect that others do a minimum amount of research before making a thread to ask question that have already been answered 20 times.

And you have been here for 6 years... surely you must be able to find it

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
<_< I get the feeling that you are simply just trying to waste everybody's time Slugma.

But that's just me. Don't mind me.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Well, you are finding wrong. <_<

Brawl is more unbalanced than Melee and this is a fact. Don't ask me why (I don't feel like explaining), it just is.

Kros

Smash Apprentice
That's why Tiers are gonna be weird when we realize them.

Dis4ster

Smash Rookie
You dont have to be an expert to know that MK = Mortal Kombat.
You're not being serious right?

And about brawl being unbalanced: It's true but not at a level that you can't win against an MK (For people who don't know how to use google or smashboards: Metaknight) or Snake. Also a lot of chaingrabs can be broken. And just keep away from the wall if you're fighting a marth or fox.

waks

Smash Journeyman
You're not being serious right?

And about brawl being unbalanced: It's true but not at a level that you can't win against an MK (For people who don't know how to use google or smashboards: Metaknight) or Snake. Also a lot of chaingrabs can be broken. And just keep away from the wall if you're fighting a marth or fox.
I was sarcastic <_< I use MK too, you know :p

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
I don't have as much time as you seem to have, deepdiving into Smash like there's no tomorrow. I have a job and many other games to play. There's no way I could train as much as you do.

As a whole the attitude of these boards only welcome similar minded, those who already are experts or those who put an hour for research before creating a thread.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't have as much time as you seem to have, deepdiving into Smash like there's no tomorrow. I have a job and many other games to play. There's no way I could train as much as you do.
If you'd actually read that other thread you posted, you would've known that Snake and Meta-Knight dominate tournaments.

As a whole the attitude of these boards only welcome similar minded, those who already are experts or those who put an hour for research before creating a thread.
Or 5 minutes. Most of the stuff you want us to answer is common knowledge for anyone who's been here for more than 1 month and read more than 2 threads each day.

It's tiring and annoying to have people expect us to do all of the work for them, creating threads asking questions whose answers are easily found on the boards... in more than 10 different threads... most of them stickied or linked to from a sticky.

You're not just a non-expert who doesn't put down an hour of research before creating a thread, you don't do any research nor do you even hang out here and then you waltz in here and create a lot of threads expecting us to do all the work for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom