• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it really THAT surprising that Metaknight and Snake are top tier?

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I think you are right but, i don't think you are humanizing Sakurai a bit too much. By that i mean, suggesting he had an attachment to his favorite character Meta Knight, and wanted to do something nice for his friend Kojima.

I think it was all about the $$$. It could be character love, it could be a mixture... but i think it was mostly money.

After brawl, every franchise gets publicity because it was in the game, all 35 characters. But guess what? The characters that appear in more matches (because they are better) or appear more often in SSE (because those cutscenes are mandatory) get more publicity.

Even if it's the slightest increase, that Metal Gear Solid game is getting more purchases because Snake was so powerful and appears so much in fights. Not only is he powerful, he's very fun to play. He has the most unique physics and projectiles and whatnot on his smashes and specials. He gets to lay mines, he gets an upsmash that's a projectile. Etc. His weight is definitely nonsensical. He's a human man!

I'm waiting for where Meta Knight is going to pay off, but i have little doubt that he'll be on the back of the box of some Kirby game. There is no possible, i repeat, no humanly possible way a proffesional could make meta knight (remember he was announced early on, made early on) and not identify his balance issues. Look at his upair. Just like, go to your wii and do an upair. It's ridiculously fast.

The mach tornado is massive, massive evidence of the bias. So many comparable moves do not have the same priority. Anyone who plays the game will say, the amount of priority this move has is inappropriate.

It almost seems like someone brought Sakurai a balanced Mach Tornado, that makes sense, and sense i'm sure the man doesn't do the heavy work himself, he changed the priority variables alone to make the move more useful.

It's hard for anyone to argue the point that the game was made to have equally powerful characters. Even if you try to chalk it up to "maybe the unbalance was horrible, horrible trouble changing what they'd already made", you can't explain the priority on the mach tornado and the damage/knockback on MK's fsmash and downsmash (these aren't the main points of his unbalance, but could have been nerfed to balance the rest of the character). I know enough about programming to know that those are simple numbers, they could have been turned down in ten minutes, the day before finalization. And meta knight was not made or beta tested the day before finalization.

I believe Snake is more easily argued, grenades are very dynamic, his smashes are all very slow, his aerial game is pretty tough and perhaps that was perceived as more exploitable than it actually is...
But since Meta Knight is so obvious, it's easy to assume the guy who buffed one character would buff two. And the raw frame and knockback data on his uptilt is pretty ridiculous, especially when we have characters without projectiles with a much weaker kill game.

On that note, Sonic was made later on. He might have been carefully made, to err on the side of weakness. When you make that last character, you will have the least time balancing it, and you want to be sure that it is not that one character that makes the other 34 a ******** decision. I also suspect maybe it was a way to get back at Sega over some grudge, maybe poor cooperation.

Top Bottom