• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it normal to be this slow learner?

Keenetrial

Smash Rookie
So they game's been out for almost 2 weeks now and this is the first Smash installment I'm playing without taking into acc Brawl back when I was 6 or something like that. Yet I've been playing for this 2 weeks and still I can't beat LVL7 cpu's, is it normal to learn this slow or am I just extremely bad and this is not my game?

Aemuli

Smash Cadet
You're fine man, each smash is drastically different so there's really nothing to worry about. Furthermore, the computers are much better in this game, and are much more challenging for beginners. Just give it time, you'll get better with practice.

TheGoodDarkHero

Smash Rookie
Everybody learns at their own pace, but there are a couple things you might be able to consider;

Are you understanding where you've gone wrong and making an effort to improve?
Are you making mistakes due to not adapting to the game? (I had a couple problems with the games speed at first)
Have you made sure to try out every character? Theres going to be 80 fighters and theres definitely going to be at least one to fit your plastyle. Dont just limit yourself to one!
Did you work your way up to lvl 7s or just jump straight into the deep end? CPU AI is a heck of a lot better and can destroy you if you don't know what you're doing.

Last edited:

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
The computers beat decent players and its because they're not human, the computer can't "see" what you're doing. Technically they read what you're going to do before you do. There's a clear difference between regular players and cpu and I would highly recommend trying online after getting the basics down.

Its ok to be slow regardless though, slow is smooth smooth is fast.

Last edited:

Marmotbro

Smash Apprentice
Fighting games are hard dude. Just getting in the right mindset to properly play mind games and footsies takes time. Also the CPU in this game is brutal for some reason, I've been playing smash for a long time and lvl 8 and 9 CPUs still take games off of me. Its crazy. I feel like it is better with some characters though.

Madwario

Smash Apprentice
Earlier Smash, even 9 CPUs were a cakewalk, in this game, higher lvl CPUs feels like the earlier Street Fighter CPUs, dodging and countering all your attacks, its easier to battle real players unless they play some lame crap like Inkling standing in a corner.

Casual Souls

Smash Rookie
There's no shame in being slow to pick things up. I'd suggest practicing against human players as there is only so much you can learn from fighting the AI.

D

Deleted member

The AI was actually developed based on feedback from professional Japanese players, so the higher levels are in no way newbie friendly unlike Melee/Brawl CPUs back in the day.

And as mentioned before, yes they do read your inputs, and yes, there is a counteraction to everything they do. Problem is that they always respond the same way to the same situation, so a major aspect of playing the game (ie. reading your opponent) is lost if all you do is strive to improve yourself by fighting lv9 CPUs.

Essentially, if you get good at fighting lv9s, you also develop some really bad habits, such as spamming smash attacks or projectiles under nonideal circumstances.

And hey, if you're a slow learner and don't feel like being the new Mang0, it shouldn't matter too much as long as you find people you can play with and have some fun. But if you really want to learn, then yes, fight people online or locally. And if you must practice against CPUs, you're better off fighting lv1s, because then you can at least practice combos and kill confirms.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
High level CPUs are demons in this game, mot only do they have frame 1 reactions but some of them know "advanced" techniques now. It's scary!

But...better than them being pushovers like before.

Last edited:
Top Bottom