• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Is it me or is the Smash Bros Bundle sold out everywhere?

Banhfunbags

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone,
After hearing about the release date for the Wii U version in NA, I decided to go out and purchase the Super Smash Bros. for Wii U bundle with the GameCube adapter and controller. However, every store that I have visited (Gamestop, Best Buy, etc.) has it sold out. It's also sold out on Amazon, Gamestop's site, and Newegg.

What's going on? How is it possible to be sold out of something you preorder?

I know it's just $10 extra if I were to buy everything separately, but I just wanted to know what was going on and if anyone here knew. Thanks!

The_Thumbs

Smash Cadet
GameStop employee here, going to do my best to explain what's happening.

When a company has something like a product, a place like GameStop will buy X amount from them. "Hey Nintendo, we're going to want about X bundles from you guys." Other times, Nintendo will be the ones setting the amount, "Hello GameStop. We're going to make X bundles, and you can have Y of them."

Now, this limit is sometimes known from the start, others it isn't. Depends how limited a run the item might be. A standard copy of the game won't have a limit till very close to release. GameStop will preorder as many as they can, because the producer will have lots of copies regardless (Call of Duty, Pokemon, etc).

Collectors editions and special bundles are of a more limited supply. GameStop watched the numbers, and put a halt to it when it hit too many. The company won't be sold out completely probably, it'll hold onto some extra to help with customer issues, to sell them as extra in locations that have a good shot at it... or a number of other reasons.

I can't speak for other retailers, but this is likely how it'll be there as well. A limited product like this typically has a limit of course. X people preordered, that's all X of the bundles.

Now, not all hope is lost. Some people might cancel their preorder last second. It's a tough window... but if someone cancels after the shipments, a store might have an extra copy. If they cancel too far before the launch, chances are your local store won't see that copy, and it'll instead get shipped elsewhere. They might also cancel at time of pick up, or there are going to be people who forget to pick up their bundles as well (usually a GameStop holds a product for 48 hours after release, but some stores might hold onto it for longer, like my store likes to do).

Another potential solution GameStop I know has is something known as "Web in Store". Essentially it's like making an online order, but while in the store. This particular service has its own stock (that I think is just linked with the website's stock). Sometimes with rarer items, we'll have extra ones there. Can't find a thing in store, perhaps we can order it for you type of deal. Free shipping can take a week, and I don't know how upcoming stuff will work with that. I personally am not sure if we have the bundle available on that service as of right now. Sort of like the Zelda Monopoly sets, it's something that'll just come and go as quantities change.

Of course things like Amazon will have a chance to have stuff change on the fly as well.

If you're desperate for one, don't be afraid to politely talk to your local stores. See if they know if they'll be getting extras (not a lot of places do it, but some stores will do fake preorders on rarer stuff to make sure they get an extra or two), if your name can maybe be added to a list, or if they have some web in store type options (I'll try to remember to check Thursday when I work).

Now, with all this said, I don't know how lucky you can get. Where I work, we're out of 3DS copies of the games with none on the way in the next two days at least by the looks of it. This happens to be the for a standard version of the game on the better selling console. If you're not sure you can get the bundle, make sure you preorder the standard game and any extra accessories you might need. A preorder is never final. If you preorder the stuff separate, but you get lucky and your store has an extra bundle, you can get your money back on those extra accessories and such. What you put down is always your money after all. The worst that'll happen is that said employee you're working with as you cancel them will have a bit of a lower performance number, but the cooler employees will totally understand why and not be mad about it.

I don't just have a bad feeling about how many extra copies the standard game will have, I have a feeling that both adapters and controllers will be rare at first. If Nintendo is failing to meet demand for the 3DS version of the game, I can't imagine they're going to ship out a bunch of the controllers. I know it sounds like I'm trying to sell for GameStop, and I'm really not. Go to Best Buy for all I care (well, they're preorder system isn't the best from what I hear, but I can't speak from personal experience). The point is, if there is something you want, something that's niche like the controllers, it won't hurt to secure you get one.

One final word... holiday times can be rough. One year when we had collector Zelda bundles (the one with the sweet gold remotes) our bosses were down our throats to sell them. Didn't matter what sob story the customer had, we were to sell them after at 48 hours (I think some stores caved and sold sooner than that). Sadly the hands get tied at times, and we can't do crap about it. If you have a fancy bundle, try your best to get there that first day (I'm sure most on this site are hyped enough to make that happen). It doesn't happen often, but one holiday a few years back it did, and I just want to be fair and upfront with you guys.

Wow! Sorry I've rambled this much! Just wanted some tips and such out there for you all. Best of luck to those who didn't get the prorder of the bundle, hopefully you'll get all your Smash wants and needs this holiday. November 21st can't come soon enough!

(P.S. Amiibo's can preordered too. So those who are collectors and don't want to risk losing their chance to get a sweet figure because some mom thought it would be cute for their kid, perhaps consider dropping 5 on one of those as well (or in my pathetic case, like 8 or so since I'm getting a double or two probably as well).)

NintendoPSX

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone,
After hearing about the release date for the Wii U version in NA, I decided to go out and purchase the Super Smash Bros. for Wii U bundle with the GameCube adapter and controller. However, every store that I have visited (Gamestop, Best Buy, etc.) has it sold out. It's also sold out on Amazon, Gamestop's site, and Newegg.

What's going on? How is it possible to be sold out of something you preorder?

I know it's just $10 extra if I were to buy everything separately, but I just wanted to know what was going on and if anyone here knew. Thanks!
Dude this bundle has been available on GameStop websites and in stores since July. Should've bought then.

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
Wow, I'm really glad I picked this up this morning. I had no idea it would sell out so quickly.

Icylobster

Smash Rookie
So I had this issue today as well. Out of all the places I checked, BestBuy was still taking orders online. I'm a little concerned on the reliability (have had them take an order to later say they didn't have it at pickup time) but I'm hopeful.

The only real alternative is to check daily, its not uncommon for a place to open up a few spots, but you have to be checking in order to capitalize on it.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Yar- Exactly what @ The_Thumbs The_Thumbs said. I pre-ordered mine in August- and at that time, the Gamestop manager told me that was probably a pretty good idea since the SKU likely wouldn't be available for that long. So, if you still can, definitely the sooner the better

Banhfunbags

Smash Rookie
I'm not much of a gamer so I haven't been following any gaming news; I just heard yesterday that a game I loved as a kid has a sequel coming out and I wanted to get it so I could play it with my friends. I apologize if I offended anyone with this thread.

NintendoPSX

Smash Journeyman
I'm not much of a gamer so I haven't been following any gaming news; I just heard yesterday that a game I loved as a kid has a sequel coming out and I wanted to get it so I could play it with my friends. I apologize if I offended anyone with this thread.
Nah man, no offends just saying it's been available for purchase for a while.

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424
Ah crap. When I went to EB games (Canadian Gamestop) to pre-order the 3DS version, I also asked if I could pre-order the Wii U GCN adapter bundle as well. The clerk gave me this weird look and said, that he's never heard of it before. So I figured I'd just pre-order it when the game gets an official release date.

I'm going to try to pre-order it today.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Ah crap. When I went to EB games (Canadian Gamestop) to pre-order the 3DS version, I also asked if I could pre-order the Wii U GCN adapter bundle as well. The clerk gave me this weird look and said, that he's never heard of it before. So I figured I'd just pre-order it when the game gets an official release date.

I'm going to try to pre-order it today.
That's when you tell the store person to know their products better. They should know releases. That's their job. If my Local EB games ever told me they didn't know about a release, I'd tell them "Then I have to go to a store that does know" and they'd lose my business.

NintendoPSX

Smash Journeyman
That's when you tell the store person to know their products better. They should know releases. That's their job. If my Local EB games ever told me they didn't know about a release, I'd tell them "Then I have to go to a store that does know" and they'd lose my business.
To be fair, I'm going to start working at GameStop soon and you can't expect me to remember every single game release. Like last Tuesday, I forgot Aliens and NBA came out. Usually people just remember what they want themselves, even if it's in a job like a game retailer.

the8thark

Smash Lord
To be fair, I'm going to start working at GameStop soon and you can't expect me to remember every single game release. Like last Tuesday, I forgot Aliens and NBA came out. Usually people just remember what they want themselves, even if it's in a job like a game retailer.
Every shopper expects the retail staff to know the product they are selling. If not then they should have a way too look it up on the system or at least be sympathetic with the customer. Saying "I don't know about it" or "sorry I can't help you" doesn't do anything except drive customers away. I'm sure you on the other hand will do a good job.

If I worked in that industry I'd keep a list of every major release coming out and the dates so if anyone asks I'd not give them a blank face.

NintendoPSX

Smash Journeyman
Every shopper expects the retail staff to know the product they are selling. If not then they should have a way too look it up on the system or at least be sympathetic with the customer. Saying "I don't know about it" or "sorry I can't help you" doesn't do anything except drive customers away. I'm sure you on the other hand will do a good job.

If I worked in that industry I'd keep a list of every major release coming out and the dates so if anyone asks I'd not give them a blank face.
Well the computers do have all the release dates and information there. Don't know why the clerk didn't just check if he wasn't so sure.

Bunny8093

Smash Journeyman
I have sort of this exact same problem. When I went to pick up my preorder for the 3DS version at Gamestop I was also going to preorder the Wii U version then while I was at it, I was unaware that you could run out. Now I'm up a creek without a paddle because I waited too long to preorder. Tried to see if Amazon might work but that's gone too. Now I dunno what to do, if I would've known they could run out of preorders let alone run out of preorders on things like this I would've preordered as soon as I seen the opportunity. I know one thing though I'm never doing that again. Man this has me depressed.

The_Thumbs

Smash Cadet
Sometimes we try to warn people, but they just assume we're trying to sell something. It's amazing how quick a customer will stop paying attention sometimes. I mean, I don't fully blame them, we're sometimes made to push some really lame stuff. However other times, we do try to be sincere and help.

It's great when you could literally save them money and they still refuse you. Like we're talking a net profit.

Not to say anyone here is like that, I'm just rambling. Usually, outside of niche titles, we can preorder a standard edition of a game up until its release (though every now and again oddities happen). Collector editions though are typically limited. Some of the bigger ones are only available for a day or two (stuff like the Arkham Knight special edition that comes with a batmobile).

On the case of the oblivious EB employee, I can't speak for the Canadian system, but even though we aren't able to preorder the bundle, we are able to see it exists still in our list. However, perhaps they have a list that doesn't keep outdated SKUs. Also, there is just a chance that at the time Vanguard went into EB, the bundle didn't exist yet in Canadian systems. I know at times they're a bit slower to get info and news and such. I believe in fact, when were first started doing preorders in the states, we didn't have the bundle available either. Information is hard to keep all in your head as well. There are at least 8 active systems on the market, and with preowned older systems, there's a lot for an employee to keep in mind. Typically, an employee is expected to have an area of expertise, and their coworkers to fill in some of the blanks if they aren't working alone.

Retail employees are people too. I can't speak for all stores, I hear plenty of horror stories. However, some of us are just trying to do our best, but it's impossible to know everything with such a huge and varied market.

-----

Oh and I checked our "Web in Store" thing to see if that had copies. It sadly did not. Hopefully though, closer to release, GameStop will find out what they have for extras and put those up on the service. That'll mean that you don't have to hope specifically a store near you gets an extra, as all GameStops will have access to them (yet that'll make the race to them a bit tougher too I suppose). I'll try my best to let you guys know if I see them pop up however.

Last edited:

The_Thumbs

Smash Cadet
Ok, I can't talk long now, on the clock. The bundle is available through Web in Store and I believe online.

Fair warning, you have to pay it in full with these methods, unlike a preorder.

Edit:

OK, I'm on a bit of a break. Web in Store is an option... but there is a downside. It would seem that thanks to shipping and the weekend, you might not get the game day 1 through that option. I'm going to do some digging, but this kind of stuff isn't well explained at all on our end. Doesn't help that the shipping estimates always exaggerate. I'll try to get back to you all when I learn more.

Edit again: With day 1 shipping you can get a product same day as release... day 1 shipping costs 12.50 depending where you live.

I guess unless you want it in the special box, pre ordering the pieces separately is the better deal if you want it day 1. There are cheaper shipping options, but you'll have to wait till at least after the weekend.

Last edited:

Poolco

Smash Rookie
Edit again: With day 1 shipping you can get a product same day as release... day 1 shipping costs 12.50 depending where you live.
I'm trusting you on this one. I went to pre-order at GameStop yesterday and found out this was my only option. However, if I don't receive it Friday after work - you owe me a Yoshi controller, deal?

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I saw this thread, realized I didn't pre order yet, then went to GameStop online. Nothing. Turned to Best Buy. Closest store was unavailable. But lucked out and the other store in the opposite direction (about the same distance as the other one really) was still taking pre orders. Got the bundle just in time.

*wipes brow*

Shog

Smash Ace
Hmm, I wonder if the Market in Europe is dying, because I can get whatever game I want here, even games like Smash.
That is actually frightening to me because maybe in the future Nintendo what get much out of Europe, ugh.

Butt Luckily

Smash Rookie
To fill in some more information about how its already sold out...

Typically, Gamestop will start allowing pre-orders as soon as a target window is given from a company. As soon as they gave a release date of "Winter 2014", you were able to pre-order Smash Wii U at Gamestop. They just use a place-holder date until the actual release date comes out. If there are any changes to the release date(usually delays, but not always), then the date is updated in the system.

As a previous poster said, the ability to pre-order has been there for a while, because a tentative release date was given a few months ago. So it didn't sell out immediately, but the second rush of people after the official release date came out probably finished it off quickly.

The_Thumbs

Smash Cadet
I'm trusting you on this one. I went to pre-order at GameStop yesterday and found out this was my only option. However, if I don't receive it Friday after work - you owe me a Yoshi controller, deal?
Sorry man, I'm just the messenger. That's what I'm told through some of our info on the service we get. A lot of that is on the shipping company as well. Like I said, unless you need that box, I'd just regularly preorder and buy the parts separately at the store.

I saw this thread, realized I didn't pre order yet, then went to GameStop online. Nothing. Turned to Best Buy. Closest store was unavailable. But lucked out and the other store in the opposite direction (about the same distance as the other one really) was still taking pre orders. Got the bundle just in time.

*wipes brow*
Awesome, neat to know that Best Buys have specific stock per store, as opposed to a total allocation shared amongst them all. However, be sure to not wait getting there. I've heard horror stories that BB's don't actually hold a preordered product... that they do the service as more of a 'layaway' type deal that you can deposit, and to figure out which stores will get what product. I've heard that they will sell it to the first person they can. Though that could just be a bad egg of a BB (and this is just through word of mouth).

To fill in some more information about how its already sold out...

Typically, Gamestop will start allowing pre-orders as soon as a target window is given from a company. As soon as they gave a release date of "Winter 2014", you were able to pre-order Smash Wii U at Gamestop. They just use a place-holder date until the actual release date comes out. If there are any changes to the release date(usually delays, but not always), then the date is updated in the system.

As a previous poster said, the ability to pre-order has been there for a while, because a tentative release date was given a few months ago. So it didn't sell out immediately, but the second rush of people after the official release date came out probably finished it off quickly.
Yep, although the stock was out at GameStop before the true date was given. The first day I noticed we were done was actually the 2nd of October, right before the launch of Smash.

[mastershake]~~

Smash Cadet
It costs $10 more, but I preordered each part of the bundle individually due to sell out at Gamestop. Worth the extra change to play at midnight? Was for me...lol and I'm too lazy to check around.

Demonfang

Smash Rookie
For the bundle, I had added it to cart a few days ago in guest checkout through Gamestop (it's still there). One of my friends was also able to "Add To Cart" just now, as well.

Does this mean it's no longer sold out? Or is this just for the online ordering that will be shipped (and hopefully delivered same day as release)?

I just don't want to actually "Place Order" if they won't ship same-day.

NintendoPSX

Smash Journeyman
For the bundle, I had added it to cart a few days ago in guest checkout through Gamestop (it's still there). One of my friends was also able to "Add To Cart" just now, as well.

Does this mean it's no longer sold out? Or is this just for the online ordering that will be shipped (and hopefully delivered same day as release)?

Might be different by location. I know at the GameStop I work at they're sold out of even Smash for 3DS that they can only special order right now via online. So I'm sure it's different for each store.

JCDied4U

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sieger
It costs $10 more, but I preordered each part of the bundle individually due to sell out at Gamestop. Worth the extra change to play at midnight? Was for me...lol and I'm too lazy to check around.
In your case I'd get the game at Toys R Us to get the free amiibo, that's probably what I'm going to end up doing.

Demonfang

Smash Rookie
It looks like it's probably by location then (or maybe some just opened up?). I live-chatted with Gamestop and they said the "Add to Cart" button would be gray if it was unavailable. Which it is still Red for me.

I saved the chat though, just in case. The guy had horrible spelling.

Edit: just for clarification, this is for the bundle for Wii-U.

Last edited:

The_Thumbs

Smash Cadet

Pre-ordering is company wide. If my US Wisconsin store runs out, then that means a Californian store can't either.

Online orders though are separate stock.

The thing with online orders though (or online orders done through store), is that they aren't going to get there day one. If you do the "Day one shipping" it will, but the cost of that is more than the difference buying the stuff separately. I outline as such in some previous posts if you want some more details on it.

The_Thumbs

Smash Cadet
So it would seem the bundle is no longer available on the Web in Store option. On top of it, the adapter on its own is no longer available to preorder, not on Web in Store either. Last I worked, the controllers were still up for preorder though.

Here's hoping the accessories aren't as impossible as things like Wii Fit Boards and such.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
Dang, looks like I'll have to get the normal release because planning is hard

PKNinja95

Smash Ace
NNID
AKninja95
3DS FC