• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it me or is For Glory not balanced at all?

Kaiboiii

Smash Cadet
Every ****ing game I get paired up with amazing players while I'm struggling to get good and these guys beat the **** into me make me feel like the worst player ever and make me consider wanting to never play the game again. Is there no balance? I mean I'd like to get paired with people at my own skill level.

Raijinken

Smash Master
It appears to take a while to calibrate skill. Generally speaking, most players I play against feel like a pretty good match for me.

Could just be selection bias, though. I don't play For Glory that much. But most of my friends report that the matches are pretty even. It can also be related to character choice. If you play a player who plays only a single character exclusively, they'll likely outperform you if you like to hop around (something I do a lot, personally).

Kaiboiii

Smash Cadet
Don't get me wrong I usually do get people who are my skill level, it's just on occasion I get the type of people who I'd like to think would play at tournaments.

Soma X

Smash Rookie
Lol I thought I was the only one going up against the shffing uber pros who punish your every move perfectly.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
You are referring to matchmaking and not for glory. Although you are right that it is not balanced since its FD only stages. Did they let other stages in on the new update? That would be cool.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Yeah to the OP it's pretty much a joke, I thought it was fine and people should stop complaining about it. But when I step into someone's shoes like yours, it's a terrible environment to learn. And it's the only online 1v1 available to practice in the first place. I come from 15 years with the game. I am not a pro but I can beat a new player in a disastrous manner. I like it to be fun for both people though, and me playing silly or toying with them isn't fun, and going all out isn't fun.

It's a serious flaw and puts an enormous learning curve on new players almost to the extent of hopelessness, and puts a tedious strained cap on advancing in skill for players who are very experienced.

You won't get far from For Glory practice alone, and you will have a pretty hellish path if you want to make that your starting ground, which is something I have to keep in mind because I don't fall in that category. But to be honest, that's what you're stuck with unless you find some friendly people around here to coach you a bit. But that's not out of the box, that's on you, and it shouldn't be.

Leagues behind the matchmaking standards of the day. I used to play non stop. 4k games later I just grew tired of it. It's just badly set up, and I hyped it in my mind that it was good. If you want to stand by and defend it, I was right there with you, go have your fun with it. This is my opinion down the road.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Yeah the matchmaking is pretty bad...I have a 90% win rate after ~500 games using Mario and Pacman almost exclusively...and half of my losses were due to my wireless dying and me getting dc'd and getting a loss...I'm good but I'm not THAT good lol. I've only fought about 5 people on For Glory who were a challenge...

I hope it's somehow fixed in the Wii U version but I doubt it.

Last edited:

Kinslayer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4597-0744-1374
Yeah to the OP it's pretty much a joke, I thought it was fine and people should stop complaining about it. But when I step into someone's shoes like yours, it's a terrible environment to learn. And it's the only online 1v1 available to practice in the first place. I come from 15 years with the game. I am not a pro but I can beat a new player in a disastrous manner. I like it to be fun for both people though, and me playing silly or toying with them isn't fun, and going all out isn't fun.

It's a serious flaw and puts an enormous learning curve on new players almost to the extent of hopelessness, and puts a tedious strained cap on advancing in skill for players who are very experienced.

You won't get far from For Glory practice alone, and you will have a pretty hellish path if you want to make that your starting ground, which is something I have to keep in mind because I don't fall in that category. But to be honest, that's what you're stuck with unless you find some friendly people around here to coach you a bit. But that's not out of the box, that's on you, and it shouldn't be.

Leagues behind the matchmaking standards of the day. I used to play non stop. 4k games later I just grew tired of it. It's just badly set up, and I hyped it in my mind that it was good. If you want to stand by and defend it, I was right there with you, go have your fun with it. This is my opinion down the road.
It's not a bad environment t learn at all. How are you going to get better if you don't play people better than you? You'll never know wherre your holes in your game are because if you're playing people on your level they won't know how to expose them. I didn't just start placing high at kof tournaments because I played people who were my level. I played the Luis cha, reynald, and bala level players to level myself up. I watched my replays of loses over and over and i lived in the training room.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
It's not a bad environment t learn at all. How are you going to get better if you don't play people better than you? You'll never know wherre your holes in your game are because if you're playing people on your level they won't know how to expose them. I didn't just start placing high at kof tournaments because I played people who were my level. I played the Luis cha, reynald, and bala level players to level myself up. I watched my replays of loses over and over and i lived in the training room.
I like where you're going with this. These are training philosophies that work. And that's the issue with For Glory. The people who need those higher level players to learn and lose from don't get those fights. We get matched with people who are learning the game.

you learn more from training mode sometimes than playing these matches. This seriously stunts growth for advancing because the system isn't smart enough to put you with similar to higher ranked players. Which is the standard of any fighting game or matchmaking system today... this should be obvious that it's flawed in that respect.

Now for the people just starting, they don't have the luxury of your perspective... you like the game and want to get better at it. People just starting, (this is a stretch for my mind because I've played this 15 years now) may lose the chance to want to get better. I am the type of person who starts any game I play on hardcore, hardest difficulty... because I'm whatever, but if I were to impose that same standard on many people, they just wouldn't play the games. Your community health from entry level players to pros is the most important when it comes to these games. And For Glory sucks in those areas.

Props for your frame of mind and training routine though, I agree completely.

I am being unfair to it. Because it's what I always wanted for the longest time. I got 4k games out of it and had mostly fun. But I've changed gears when I discovered how shallow it is. I just drained it of its enjoyment and overhyped it. I'm just trying to let other people get the other side of the truth, because I'm sure you can still have a good time there, just don't expect the moon. Who knows maybe they'll patch their system... cough and not give us any notes about it. ****, I'm salty it's getting obvious.

Last edited:

Augi Jr.

Smash Cadet
I sympathize with the OP on this.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of times I get paired with players I could probably beat if I really tried, but there are times when I just want to do a more semi-casual fight to the death.

Instead I get raging "try hards" who work themselves to the bone in the match to make you look and feel pathetic. And when I say "screw this, I'm not going to indulge you" they sit and taunt me as I suicide so I can find someone who doesn't base their self worth on beating others in a game.

Next time I'm just going to stand still and wait for them to kill me; maybe they'll feel less fulfilled.

Kinslayer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4597-0744-1374
I sympathize with the OP on this.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of times I get paired with players I could probably beat if I really tried, but there are times when I just want to do a more semi-casual fight to the death.

Instead I get raging "try hards" who work themselves to the bone in the match to make you look and feel pathetic. And when I say "screw this, I'm not going to indulge you" they sit and taunt me as I suicide so I can find someone who doesn't base their self worth on beating others in a game.

Next time I'm just going to stand still and wait for them to kill me; maybe they'll feel less fulfilled.
Uhhhh maybe people play the games to win? So, they try hard because they want to I don't know achieve that goal.
Believe it or not some people come online to enjoy competetive play... Now if someone Killed you and kept taunting a billion times maybe that guy is a jerk.

However complaining about how hard someone tries to win is like getting pissy and walking out of a basketball game because the other team is scoring baskets and playing defense...

Codster

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5343-8930-0055
I'm all about a good challenge. But it's not simply the losing I have issues with. Input lag gets really annoying. I often smash when I meant to tilt. Do the wrong B move off the stage and plummet to my death. I do get paired with, what I consider to be, Elite Smashers. I like to use For Glory to train and get better, but it feels like I'm actually not learning much at all. In For Glory, they just dominate you and move on. That's why there is no better alternative to local smashes. Locally, you get to learn about your foe and they can give you tips on how to get better. Plus, local is just so much more fun.

Augi Jr.

Smash Cadet
Uhhhh maybe people play the games to win? So, they try hard because they want to I don't know achieve that goal.
Believe it or not some people come online to enjoy competetive play... Now if someone Killed you and kept taunting a billion times maybe that guy is a jerk.

However complaining about how hard someone tries to win is like getting pissy and walking out of a basketball game because the other team is scoring baskets and playing defense...
Nothing against people trying to win, and you're probably misinterpreting what I meant by a "try hard", but if it becomes obvious that you're outclassing your opponent in the match, to where they aren't or can't even put up a fight, there's a difference between "toning it down" and fighting just above your opponents skill level or continuing to go all out and mercilessly pummeling them into oblivion just because you can...

the difference being that in the latter situation, you're an incredible a$$hole...

Last edited:

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
To those that said For Glory isn't healthy to growth, you're 100% right,and not because the matchmaking per se.It's the stage.
FD is NOT balanced.Battlefield should be used in it's place.Some characters prefer platforms so they have more aerial space to work with.
If you stop to really think,it's undeniable,honestly.How could it not be fairer then FD?I mean,just think about Little Mac.

By playing on FD so much,you'll get so adjusted to a platformless environment you'll lose skill on platformed stages.
That's For Glory's main problem if you ask me.

Kinslayer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4597-0744-1374
Nothing against people trying to win, and you're probably misinterpreting what I meant by a "try hard", but if it becomes obvious that you're outclassing your opponent in the match, to where they aren't or can't even put up a fight, there's a difference between "toning it down" and fighting just above your opponents skill level or continuing to go all out and mercilessly pummeling them into oblivion just because you can...

the difference being that in the latter situation, you're an incredible a$$hole...
So, you want me to lower my playing ability to suit you because you are worse than me? How about you save the replays of the beatings and watch them and see what I'm doing to beat you, and find out why you're losing? The fgc doesn't cater to those who are bad at the game. We beat them, tell them why we beat them, and continue to beat them until they get better. I'd be insulted if someone took it easy on me.

Ravengeance

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ravengeance
You are referring to matchmaking and not for glory. Although you are right that it is not balanced since its FD only stages. Did they let other stages in on the new update? That would be cool.
This is imo the biggest issue with for glory. I really wish each stage was either like a FD or a Battlefield variant. Some people/characters perform better on Battlefield (or a platform) map and others perform better on a flat final destination type map. I just think it is imbalanced bc it gives advantages to certain characters i.e. projectile users, little mac.

Chronocide

Smash Cadet
Don't get me wrong I usually do get people who are my skill level, it's just on occasion I get the type of people who I'd like to think would play at tournaments.
You do realise people who go to tournaments are also likely to play on for glory.

haxfactory

Always in the lab
NNID
thehaxfactory
3DS FC
1779-3108-5319
Switch FC
SW-1200-3583-4733
I've been learning how to play smash competitively for like a couple weeks. Never played Brawl online. I start playing Smash 4 and I'm wrecking most of my opponents with two stocks. Most my losses come from the gross lag issues I've had with the game where the game literally starts running at about 50% speed and my opponents just start spamming charge attacks hoping I can't punish. I've lost only a couple games on an average connection and even those were caused by unfortunate SDs.

The CPU in Smash 4 is actually pretty decent at higher levels. Level 9 CPU is more challenging than any opponent I have faced yet in For Glory mode...unfortunately. So I am actually having the OPPOSITE experience as you. I'm trying to learn the game and most the opponents just aren't very good and I actually have to try harder against high level AI than I do against real people...which is sad.

Keep in mind I already have 40 hours in Smash 4. I predownloaded and started playing it at midnight the night it released and put in about 6+ hours a day until now. You can practice just fine offline and destroy most online players. I also have my younger brother to train with most of the time so I suppose that is another advantage I have.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't play For Glory expecting it to make you better. Most of my opponents have been brain dead. These are the kinds of kids that play Little Mac then run up and immediately try to KO Punch, which gets spot dodged and punished.

Legaci

Smash Cadet
I agree with you. I sometimes get matched up with people who absolutely destroy me. And I'm mean legitimately destroy me, as in, not losing because of a laggy match. I honestly think those people are part of the experience. I do hate when they taunt a lot though, that's aggravating, but I don't want to be a sore loser so I stay haha. As far as the balance goes, I believe they should add a battlefield form as well, being on FD really does benifit a few characters a lot. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
I've done maybe 100 FG matches and have only found 1 person who was just slighty better then me (most matches were extremely close) and I've only ever fought 1 person on there who wrecked me and he was a really good fox player. But honesty I feel your looking at this wrong way whenever you lose you should save it and review it later then look for things you were doing wrong(for example for awhile I was terrible at doing normal dodges" :GCRT::GCD:" so I went into training and just dodged against every projectile characters attacks and there timing until I got better) so basically what I'm saying is use these experiences as learning experiences instead of having a negative feeling about them. I would also recommended fighting CPU on level 9 becuase there actually pretty decent in SM4SH(as stated by haxfactory)

Top Bottom