• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it just me or...

JPOBS

Smash Hero
is G&W's Fair really hard to get the L-cancel timing down right? :dizzy:

i odnt know what it is about this moves but i have difficulties pulling it off in matches. granted i just started playing G&W to any meaningfull extent yesterday but i got his Dair l-cancel down immediately. I cant seem to get the fair good tho.

Is that unusual or is G&W's fair just generally difficult to l-cancel at first and it will ocme with practice?

JPOBS

Smash Hero
no duh you press l to l-cancel it but it seems a little more tricky than other characters l-cancelable moves. G&W is fun to play ^__^

Kada

Smash Journeyman
I don't actually think it's just you. I've found that I have some problems trying to L-cancel it sometimes too. I don't generally miss very many L-cancels, but I think the timing is a little different from everyone elses. It's a small difference, but enough to screw you up if you don't make the effort to actually think about L-cancelling it, until you get the timing down.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
I've accually figured it out. It not "just me" per se. G&W's Fair is different from most other arieals. Good to see some other ppl who have been playing him longer accually miss it as well occasitionally, but i've figured out why.

Its a mixtures of timing and muscle memory mixup. G&W is my third string char. i play falco and Doc first and second. these two characters are similar in that thier Nair's and Bairs are far more effective attack than thier Fair's so the Fair is not a commonly used attack in both characters. In fact, i have never shffl'd a doc Fair because its wind up time is horrendous.

However, with G&W its pretty much impossible to play him without the Fair but let me get to the point. an empty L-canceled Fair works perfectly just like any other char's. However, upon contact with a enemy, there is lag in the move itself. Hitting something with the Fair causes a lag in landing time which completely throws off your L-cancel muscle memory. This explains why i was able to l-cancel his Dair but not his Fair properly. You accually have to wait slightly longer to hit L than in an empty Fair because the lag makes you hit it to soon and thus miss that cancel. thats why i found it difficult at first to shffl the attack perfectly because i didnt realize the lag from the accual contact.

i realize now that the same thing happens with Doc's Fair but i wouldnt know that because the fair is a horrible move to shffl with doc.
well yea anyway that explains the timing mishaps. i those who have been playing G&W longer either have long ago adjusted or dont notice anymore. But it is different so its not just me. ^__^

BlargCow

Smash Journeyman
i actually thought that it was an easy move to l-cancel, but you really should get the timing down because his fair because its probably his most shffl'd move

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
an empty L-canceled Fair works perfectly just like any other char's. However, upon contact with a enemy, there is lag in the move itself. Hitting something with the Fair causes a lag in landing time which completely throws off your L-cancel muscle memory. This explains why i was able to l-cancel his Dair but not his Fair properly. You accually have to wait slightly longer to hit L than in an empty Fair because the lag makes you hit it to soon and thus miss that cancel. thats why i found it difficult at first to shffl the attack perfectly because i didnt realize the lag from the accual contact.
Yeah several characters have aerials that work this way. If you're used to practicing empty L-canceled aerials, then the attacking lag can throw that off. Muscle memory can actually hurt you in this case. I don't really think about it anymore, L-canceling becomes second nature after a while.

Top Bottom