• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it bad to have so many mains?

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
I guess, I need different play-styles to keep myself active and busy, I think I can manage four. And two of them are very similar.
If you're new to the game, I really would just stick with 1 or 2. I only have so many because of how long I've played. I only have all of these "mains" because I put the time into them after learning all of the game's general mechanics. When I first downloaded this game, I stuck with Ganondorf for a really long time until everything was super comfy and branched out from there with the melee and 64 vets that I played back in the day, then the Brawl characters I liked, and now there's P:M specific characters. Once you git gud playing with more characters every now n' then will only help, even if you don't take them to tournaments. Knowing how to play more characters means you know more about matchups, etc.

If you are new to the game and trying to decide between Marth and Roy, I would pick Marth. He has all of the essential skills you need to play this game. You'll learn how to micromanage spacing, dash dance circles around your enemies, and he really pushes the envelope of killing the opponent fast or being punished because you couldn't kill them fast enough. That's a skill that strangely not too many players have. People will beat around the bush with flashy stuff when they could just kill and get it over with. In a tournament, all that matters is who has stocks left at the end of the match. You won't get more money for looking good on stream.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
If you're new to the game, I really would just stick with 1 or 2. I only have so many because of how long I've played. I only have all of these "mains" because I put the time into them after learning all of the game's general mechanics. When I first downloaded this game, I stuck with Ganondorf for a really long time until everything was super comfy and branched out from there with the melee and 64 vets that I played back in the day, then the Brawl characters I liked, and now there's P:M specific characters. Once you git gud playing with more characters every now n' then will only help, even if you don't take them to tournaments. Knowing how to play more characters means you know more about matchups, etc.

If you are new to the game and trying to decide between Marth and Roy, I would pick Marth. He has all of the essential skills you need to play this game. You'll learn how to micromanage spacing, dash dance circles around your enemies, and he really pushes the envelope of killing the opponent fast or being punished because you couldn't kill them fast enough. That's a skill that strangely not too many players have. People will beat around the bush with flashy stuff when they could just kill and get it over with. In a tournament, all that matters is who has stocks left at the end of the match. You won't get more money for looking good on stream.
I've been around since melee, :3

Marthmario

Smash Lord

I've been around since melee, :3

Yeerk

Smash Journeyman
Everyone: "Just pick 1 or 2, Marthmario"

MM: "Sooooooo, how about these 7?"

Everyone: "No, no, no. Just 1 or 2 for now, dude. You'll be a better player that way."

MM: "I've narrowed it down to 4. How are these? Eh, eh?!?"

Everyone: "Dude. ****ing pick 1 or ****ing 2. Maybe a secondary character or two if you MUST."

MM: "Cool. I've done what you said and split my top 7 into two groups: mains and secondaries"

:facepalm:

<3

Tree Cat

Smash Cadet
Also, ditch gannon. I played him a lot at first, but there are simply better characters.

Tryst

Smash Ace
NNID
Skolar
3DS FC
2750-1644-8369
Also, ditch gannon. I played him a lot at first, but there are simply better characters.
Gannon is definitely not as bad as this person is saying. Gannon is definately a major fighter in this game. He is like Bowser and Captain Falcon combined.

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
You wanna play Ganon? Go ahead. He isn't better than most characters, but he's super fun. Plus, winning with him gives you more bragging rights, as he's arguably the worst (although there's a smaller gap between best and worst in PM, compared to Brawl/Melee. Not sure about 64). In fact when I learned about tier lists in Brawl, I picked up Ganon for that exact reason.

Top Bottom