• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

is ike as over powered as i think?

Livadas

Smash Rookie
I have fought ike online many times and i noticed that at 60-70% one hit from ike's C-stick moves and your gone (except when hit hits you from one end of the map to the other then you can survive) i did some reserch and i found it to be true, and last time i checked no other character could do sompthing like that unless they charge the move up. Dose anyone else think this to be true?

Gill

Smash Journeyman
-_-

Ike is

Against noobs = Extremely easy to use

Against good players = Extremely difficult to use

Atmapalazzo

Smash Cadet
-_-

Ike is

Exactly, my brother will play Ike against me (not technically a noob but definitely no pro) and win. However, if he's serious and in his tourny mindset, he'll most definitely play Pit.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
I think people overestimate Ike's strength because of the sound-effects his sword makes.

Seriously, his AAA combo does damage in the teens ;D.

thewiredknight

Smash Journeyman
Just one, just one.

All I ask for is one day where somebody doesn't make an "Is Ike Overpowered" thread.

Seriously, try using him against a good player. Ike is EXTREMELY difficult to use because he's so slow and easy to read since his moves have startup lag. I main him and he's really tough to learn for this reason. Against new Ike players though I have no problem because most of his moves you see coming and can spot dodge, shield or roll out of their way before they connect.

SwordsmanChris

Smash Rookie
I've gotten clear kills at 35% with a good F-Smash before.

Is Ike overpowered? Maybe a tad, but I doubt it. The problem is actually hitting with him. If you have an opponent who plays a good defensive game, it can be incredibly frustrating to land decent hits with Ike's lag. I think that Ike's pure-power attacks and smashes are the reward for all the work it takes to connect with Ragnell's slow startups.

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
Ike has to loves in life...

Short Hopping and and Dash Up-Smashing.

If anyone played a real good Ike player then they know what I'm talking about. Actually, I had to ad him to my play roster just because how much he owns with a short hop.

And can a presice Fsmash from D3 kill at 60%?

But yeah, Ike's strong as hell and if you're good at short hop attacking you can auto-rid the lag he has in 2-3 of his arieals. Sitll learning him but I've rid the lag of bair and dair so far.

On top of the fact he can last well into the 200% range...

Zevox

Smash Lord
No, no he is not. Ike is immensely strong, but hes not even the game's strongest character in terms of pure force (Dedede's forward smash, for instance, is even better than Ike's, and Lucas' up smash is at least comparable to, if not better than, most of Ike's smashes). And with how slow his attacks are, if you mess up with one, any good player will rush in and punish you - I love playing Sonic when against an Ike for exactly this reason. Hes using a smash? Roll out of its range, then dash in and grab him during the end lag. Hes charging quick draw? Dash just out of its range, taunt him if hes a bad enough player not to use that against you, and smash him with a quick attack when he pulls up short.

Ike isn't terrible - in the hands of a skilled player, he can be used very effectively. Certainly against unskilled players who don't know how to use his slow speed against him, hes an absolute beast, even if played by another unskilled player. But he isn't even close to overpowered, not by a long shot.

Zevox

LoyalSoldier

Smash Apprentice
The thing about Ike is you have to be incredibly opportunistic in your attacks compared to other players. His AAA combo is a good way to rack up damage, but generally all of his moves have quite a bit of lag. A short hop and a Back Air is a nice quick attack. His fastest smash is the DSmash, but then you also have a delay after the hit which can be dangerous.

The only thing I have to say is get used to using Tilt moves because his smash moves can only be used if the other guy screws up or you already moved them off the platform.

Zero%

Smash Cadet
I agree with u guys , ike is too slow to be OvP unless fhigthing some one slower than him

skullkidd

Smash Ace
-_-

Ike is

Couldn't have said it better myself.
So, he isn't overpowered, he has a lot of cons to match with his pros.

Othersyde

Smash Rookie
An Ike player that plays against anyone who is half-decent at Smash needs to be a real good at the game to stand a chance.

Ike is called the best punisher in the game but by the same token he is also the easiest to be punished.

Also online play is also atrocious and doesn't hold a candle to live play.

payasofobia

Smash Champion
i went to an event where good brawl players went, and, while i fared well against most people, the ones that i couldnt defeat where marth, peach and diddy users, ike is deffinetly not overpowered, his attacks are very easy to dodge, and he is fairly easy to combo, take sheik for example, sheik can easily do 50 percent combo on him, while ike has to work his *** off just to take him to 20 percent
IMO if you are an ike user, you should have a quick, and mobile character as your secondary character to fight against the characters that i have mentioned

the real overpowered characters are
marth: his attacks are even faster, and his tip is still strong
diddy: banana spamming
pit:all around cheap moves

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
shiek isn't a big deal to Ike. But i have yet to verse a good shiek.

ike overpowered? nope, he has this power because he is the best punisher. But to be the best punisher one is easily punished.

sprodj

Smash Rookie
Generally speaking, Ike is considered to be good right now.
Not tops, but close.
The problem with Ike, however, is that he is overplayed.
Ike is going to fall into a trap. Simply because of how slow he is, and because so many people like Ike, anti- Ike strategies are going to be developed.
One very simple way of counteracting Ike's Fsmash or Usmash is simply to air dodge. There is so much ending lag that you will be able to recover from the dodge, and sometimes (with faster characters) be able to even throw in a hit.
Yes, Ike can KO at low percentages, but it is not easy, and he is not overpowered.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
if Ike was overpowered he'd be banned. But There are a ton of Anti-Ike strats. so he isn't overpowered. Edge guarding Ike is the KEY to beating him.

GoForkUrself

Smash Apprentice
I don't even use a single Fsmash most games with Ike. It is way too slow to be used vs other players. Even when you trick them into thinking you were doing a different attack, they can adjust and not get hit anyway. I try to sneak an Ftilt when they get to higher percentages instead, though I usually rely on Ike's Upsmash, bair, and edgeguarding/spikes for my kills.

blue_dragon

Smash Apprentice
I don't even use a single Fsmash most games with Ike. It is way too slow to be used vs other players. Even when you trick them into thinking you were doing a different attack, they can adjust and not get hit anyway. I try to sneak an Ftilt when they get to higher percentages instead, though I usually rely on Ike's Upsmash, bair, and edgeguarding/spikes for my kills.
Try playing Ussi. He uses F-Smash a lot, but there is never an opening afterwards. Being good doesn't mean avoiding F-smash. I fell into that trap too, and I didn't win a single match against him.

Sonork

Smash Cadet
Last I saw Ike isn't very punishable at all... he can recover from most of his strong moves quickly and since they have enough range doesn't really leave him open, especially to slower characters. But yeah KO'ing people at 50-60% incluing the heavy weights from the middle of most stages is OP imo.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Try playing Ussi. He uses F-Smash a lot, but there is never an opening afterwards. Being good doesn't mean avoiding F-smash. I fell into that trap too, and I didn't win a single match against him.
o.o;; its not a lot but it is noticeable. forward smash is a good move, as long as you use it right.

LoyalSoldier

Smash Apprentice
It is all about picking your spots. If you Fsmash at times when you leave yourself open then it becomes a hazzard.

thewiredknight

Smash Journeyman
Last I saw Ike isn't very punishable at all... he can recover from most of his strong moves quickly and since they have enough range doesn't really leave him open, especially to slower characters. But yeah KO'ing people at 50-60% incluing the heavy weights from the middle of most stages is OP imo.

Nope he's extremely punishable. Especially with faster characters. A friend of mine mains Ike (though I am more familiar with his moves). And it's real easy to punish him. Ike's strongest moves are easy to dodge or shield and it almost always leaves him open. I was able to beat his Ike every time while I was using Toon Link since I would bait him into using Explosion, Quickdraw or smashes. Almost all of his smashes have at least a brief opening before them or a long one after it from which you can easily hit him.

Top Bottom