• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Ike as bad a character as people say he is?

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
After watching some videos, he can't be THAT bad once mastered. I was so excited about using him too.

Neo-X

Smash Journeyman
I doubt it. People just need to get used to his slow pwnsome moves. People say Sonic sucks, Pit sucks, and it's because they just aren't used to playing as them.

STEREO_226

Smash Apprentice
people are probably just saying that because they cant use him like the people who love Ike can. I cant wait to be him, although i was suprised he's slow, he's still gonna be very very good. Bowser has some competition as far as strength goes, and Ike will be competition for him.

Yeah. Sure.

Ike isn't that bad.

The thing that made Ganondorf so goos is the speed of his attacks, not his physical speed, Ike doesn't have attacks that initiate fast enough. Ike's moves can't come in contact for crap. his only potential is in free for all matches. His 1v1 potential is zilch considering that anyone can see his attacks coming. The only possible method of landing his attacks frequently would be if your opponent wasn't in complete control of his/her character (Like a Tech chase for example). His recovery is also garbage because he can't reach for an edge for some reason. Aether also covers very little horizontal distance(Less than Kirby's Final Cutter), but his forward B can cover some distance if charged though.

The only positive traits about Ike is his shield stun and his Aether that can go through shields when they are low.

Ike wouldn't be a bad character is he didn't have so much pre lag on all of his attacks. The post lag I can deal with.

>_>

I doubt it. People just need to get used to his slow pwnsome moves. People say Sonic sucks, Pit sucks, and it's because they just aren't used to playing as them.
That would be valid if that were from someone who actually played the game insted of watching videos. Sonic was one of the best characters at the show.

Saph66

Smash Journeyman
Ike's up B Aether move has ZERO horizontal distance gained, remember that, its garbage. I hope they change this for the better.

Ike is really bad, because all his moves are horribly slow. I doubt there will be any combos being executed with the Ike we have so far, its just too slow to follow up, plus I heard characters recover faster after being hit. Combos are important. Plus his moves probably have too much knockback since he is so strong to follow up.

Hope they fix Ike.

Ike's up B Aether move has ZERO horizontal distance gained, remember that, its garbage. I hope they change this for the better.

Ike is really bad, because all his moves are horribly slow. I doubt there will be any combos being executed with the Ike we have so far, its just too slow to follow up, plus I heard characters recover faster after being hit. Combos are important. Plus his moves probably have too much knockback since he is so strong to follow up.

Hope they fix Ike.
I hope they fix him as well.

The lag on his moves + Bad recovery is too much.

>_>

Saph66

Smash Journeyman
I know Ike ***** in free for all games, but even then when I watch the videos, there is a lack of Ike moving around the stage. I see everyone moving around a lot, but the Ikes I see in videos tend to stand and spam smash attacks, or just really slow moves. Guess he is not worth moving to attack much as of now, lol since he is soooo slow.

Bash20

Smash Rookie
well that lag affects but remeber that in smash bros dojo it sais that many players as ike will have this atackas ocasionaly they will not move any milimeter. that means that the aether it hapens but it wouldnt move its hes atacked but i have to test the game after i talk cause im not sure and i havent seen that that lag affects temporaly.

Saph66

Smash Journeyman
The super armor does not solve all of Ike's problems as of now from his slowness. Sure he gets no knockback and all, but do you really think someone will come running into ur 2 second long attack? Really, they could somehow roll behind you or something early while ur doing the slow attacks, and grab you from behind, super armor doesn't stop grabbing, least I don't think so.

You probably don't know what we're talking about. He needs faster moves for combos, and a better recovery, thats what basically.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
I think Ike has potential in his edgeguarding game. After seeing that reverse Aether edgehog vid, I think it would be a really sweet edgeguard. It's like a spike and an edgehog at the same time.
Not only that, but with his range and power anyone getting hit coming back is finished, and his slow speed is negligible for edgeguarding and his super armour frames help a lot in preventing him from being interrupted by their up bs.

That said, edgeguarding is worthless if you don't have the ground game to get them off in the first place. =(

Grahhh Ike for top tier X3

Saph66

Smash Journeyman
Top tier is kind of hard for characters that are strong/slow. Hopefully he makes it to high tier atleast, that is good enough. I don't want Ike to be soo good that everyone would have to use him. Like fox/marth in melee. Serously, A LOT of people play them lol, its ridiculous.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Top tier is kind of hard for characters that are strong/slow. Hopefully he makes it to high tier atleast, that is good enough. I don't want Ike to be soo good that everyone would have to use him. Like fox/marth in melee. Serously, A LOT of people play them lol, its ridiculous.
lol I was kidding

Ike for God tier Yeahuzz! X3

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. Sure.

Ike isn't that bad.

The thing that made Ganondorf so goos is the speed of his attacks, not his physical speed, Ike doesn't have attacks that initiate fast enough. Ike's moves can't come in contact for crap. his only potential is in free for all matches. His 1v1 potential is zilch considering that anyone can see his attacks coming. The only possible method of landing his attacks frequently would be if your opponent wasn't in complete control of his/her character (Like a Tech chase for example). His recovery is also garbage because he can't reach for an edge for some reason. Aether also covers very little horizontal distance(Less than Kirby's Final Cutter), but his forward B can cover some distance if charged though.

The only positive traits about Ike is his shield stun and his Aether that can go through shields when they are low.

Ike wouldn't be a bad character is he didn't have so much pre lag on all of his attacks. The post lag I can deal with.

>_>

That would be valid if that were from someone who actually played the game insted of watching videos. Sonic was one of the best characters at the show.
I didn't hear anything about Sonix being one of the best. I heard he had potential but his need to slow down to attack and low priority gets in his way.

True Fool

Smash Ace
Ike is NOT good. Right now, this is a demo, I expect Ike to be improved, while Mario and Pikachu's grab-combo ability will be nerfed. Possibly some other changes, but these are the ones I most expect.

But Ike was the only character who anyone thought would be bad to play competitively, so it's not as if you can just compare him to another character from Melee. Everyone except for Ike seemed to be on-par with each other if used in competitive play, so it was as if Ike was in a tier of his own. Like there was a good side and a crappy side, and he happened to be the only one on the crappy side.

Lgndknight

Smash Ace
Maybe Ike's poor show at E4all is due to the fact.... maybe they just stopped working on Bowser, and that's how he will appear in the final version. from whatever observers may have seen, they could take some pre-lag away in the final version.

GenG

Smash Lord
If Ike is so obviously bad, they will fix him for the final version. It was a demo, it has a lot of glitchs (Pikachu's 999 thing, IGN said it froze many times) and huge load times.

They should know if a character is bad or not this time. They improved Bowser because that reason.

How many revisions had Melee? I can count 3.

Hellbeing

Smash Journeyman
I think he is actually a good character, his strength obviously has shown to make up for his slowness. People have been just scared off by his lack in speed and think this is a MAJOR flaw, however it is not. I AM EXCITED to be playing ike, he looks like the kind of person that focuses purley on power in this game!.

Aether_Lord

Smash Apprentice
Yes, he is, he is as bad as people say he is.
Um have you played it O_o? just wondering if you did then you might be right but if you havent think about it >_>. but remember it was a demo like every1 else said.... to me ike is just meh not so good not so bad but just meh. if he does turn out bad you must of came from the future buddy lol

Saph66

Smash Journeyman
Um have you played it O_o? just wondering if you did then you might be right but if you havent think about it >_>. but remember it was a demo like every1 else said.... to me ike is just meh not so good not so bad but just meh. if he does turn out bad you must of came from the future buddy lol
We're talking about now buddy, not in the future if he is good or not. As of now, he is really bad. Needs to be fixed.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
I think he is actually a good character, his strength obviously has shown to make up for his slowness. People have been just scared off by his lack in speed and think this is a MAJOR flaw, however it is not. I AM EXCITED to be playing ike, he looks like the kind of person that focuses purley on power in this game!.
The way Ike seems now...his attacks are only effective in Free For All's. When people aren't paying as much attention to him so he can actually pull off an attack unnoticed. Ike can have all the power he wants however due to his lag before and after his attack they seem to be very easy to predict and avoid them.

-Knight

SOPF

Smash Apprentice
The stand people take on this argument seems to be dependent upon what level of play they were at in melee. The low level, noobier (probably not a word) players look at Ike as possessing lots of possible potential where as the tourney level players see Ike for the lacking character he is. I really must side with the opinions of the experience players. I personally didn't play but if so many who have view Ike as horendous at 1v1s then I'm gonna side with them.

None the less, I'm gonna try to use him to the fullest of his capabilities, which hopefully won't be as lowly in the true version of Brawl.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
yes, ike is as bad as people say in the demo

IN THE DEMO

IN THE DEMO IN THE DEMO IN THE DEMO IN THE DEMO IN THE DEMO IN THE DEMO IN THE DEMO IN THE DEMO

hopefully they fix him, because he's trash

some of you guys dont really play this game on a highly competitive level, i'm sure you could watch some of taj's mewtwo's videos and say "wow, mewtwo is pretty good" but no, he's not

ike is horrible slow, and i talked about how he looks slightly faster in the videos

ike just isn't very good, i really hope they fix him, or give him a LOT more no flinch frames or something, that would be great

Saph66

Smash Journeyman
yes, ike is as bad as people say in the demo

IN THE DEMO

IN THE DEMO IN THE DEMO IN THE DEMO IN THE DEMO IN THE DEMO IN THE DEMO IN THE DEMO IN THE DEMO

hopefully they fix him, because he's trash

some of you guys dont really play this game on a highly competitive level, i'm sure you could watch some of taj's mewtwo's videos and say "wow, mewtwo is pretty good" but no, he's not

ike is horrible slow, and i talked about how he looks slightly faster in the videos

ike just isn't very good, i really hope they fix him, or give him a LOT more no flinch frames or something, that would be great
Yea, flinch frames would be great, but it isn't going to solve the problem where he can't hit his enemies with those horribly laggy moves. lol. Yep, needs to be fixed really badly.

Saph66

Smash Journeyman
I think it's too late... if he's in the demo it's probably because they finished working on him
And they can't fix him why? In the 4 months that they have. They said they were perfecting the game, so that means any bugs, glitches, balances that need to be done will be met for the final game. It will be fixed. Hopfully.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
And they can't fix him why? In the 4 months that they have. They said they were perfecting the game, so that means any bugs, glitches, balances that need to be done will be met for the final game. It will be fixed. Hopfully.
Perhaps it's not that they can't fix him, more like they don't need to.

Sure, to us who play 1 on 1 with no items, a character with huge startup frames is pretty useless, however, remember that smash is a party game, and wasn't made to be played one way or another. And in the grand scheme of things, Ike is still good because, as people from E 4 All states, he DESTROYS free for alls.

~Bair > Aether combo ftw

Saph66

Smash Journeyman
But then he is useless for 1v1 games. Now that would really really suck. These characters are supposed to be played for all different kinds of modes, not just FFA. Nintendo knows that the solo games are wayy more important than the FFA games, they will fix him for sure I think.

Ike may be useless in one on one games for brawl, but everyone said he owned in free for all.
To be honest, this may be what was meant when the game was to be more balanced. Certain characters may suck in one situation and own in another (such as Ike).
That said, it would really suck if they didn't fix Ike, just because he's so awesome. He's not even Bowser slow. They should fix Ike...

Aether_Lord

Smash Apprentice
We're talking about now buddy, not in the future if he is good or not. As of now, he is really bad. Needs to be fixed.
im dumb so you had to be more specific on your post i questioned you at :p sorry >_< cant help being dumb. anyways i do hope sakurai considers both 1v1 and free for all

Bash20

Smash Rookie
The super armor does not solve all of Ike's problems as of now from his slowness. Sure he gets no knockback and all, but do you really think someone will come running into ur 2 second long attack? Really, they could somehow roll behind you or something early while ur doing the slow attacks, and grab you from behind, super armor doesn't stop grabbing, least I don't think so.

You probably don't know what we're talking about. He needs faster moves for combos, and a better recovery, thats what basically.
ok , i dont question whats ur saying but rember that saying this things it will not change the game creators were only hoping that it "will" happen.

apart u couldnt hate a player only cause u are seeing demos, lets make na example: looks ganondorf, my friend, the best marth of my country gets owned in a 1vs1 with a ganon and he isnt a bull**** that dont know advance techniques no, the ganondorf was awsome and remeber they are using the wii mode most players will use the GC controller that game mode with wii mode was new for that players and many things are not in game allready after a few of years the people will find a way to make ike a broken character like happens with many characters in melee them dont talk about anything allready if the game isnt realse all ready.

Top Bottom