• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is he nerfed at all from Melee?

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Hey guys,

I know Link is by and large way better in PM. But my friend thinks a couple things feel nerfed and I wanted to consult everyone here about it.

Namely, he thinks UpB is harder to hit with (with the semi spike) and that nair was nerfed.

He feels Up-B probably is the same size and just as long as a hitbox, but because of link's larger range on everything else, it might just feel shorter. On the nair, he is convinced it is nerfed (the hitbox doesn't knock as far or at as good an angle).

I was wondering what people's opinion was on this.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
I see. Maybe its how he's using the nair. In Melee, is it super strong initially and gets way weaker (like most sex kicks)?

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
The up-B hitbox appears smaller because of Brawl's camera and the size of the characters, its the same size.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, Nair in Melee functions the same - stronger initial hit, weaker later hit.

He's the same or better in nearly every aspect. The only thing that's worse is the range on his Clawshot, but that's not the P:M designers' fault.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Keep in mind, many of Link's moves are actually larger in P:M than they are in Melee because of the new length of his sword, but the sword spin is one of the few exceptions. It appears shorter compared to his other new moves, but it actually just matches what Melee had.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
Is his range slightly comparable to Marth's sword?
I don't mean exactly equal in length however. Just similar length basically. (Since his sword range has increased from Melee)

Blade-Fox

Smash Apprentice
I don't mean exactly equal in length however. Just similar length basically. (Since his sword range has increased from Melee)
His forward till certainly "looks" like Marth range.

StickandFluid

Smash Apprentice
I feel the same way but he isn't I can't touch P:M Link cause i've played melee link for so long, I don't really like the feel of P:M link but I don't think he is nerfed he is technically better, he just feels sluggish, and to me that grapple hook is a big issue as well as the boomerang.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
It's still a modified Brawl engine, that's prolly what you're feeling.
Once you get used to it he's actually faster than in Melee. Check out Hylian's Link.

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
It's kinda close but it doesn't matter really because Link doesn't extend his arm out as much as Marth in his animations so he doesn't have the same range

Stutterfoot

Smash Rookie
You can't face the stage and jump off the stage with a dair, then recover with double jump - upwards arial dodge - hookshot - UP B

SO YES

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Keep in mind, many of Link's moves are actually larger in P:M than they are in Melee because of the new length of his sword, but the sword spin is one of the few exceptions. It appears shorter compared to his other new moves, but it actually just matches what Melee had.
Thats technically not true, if you take a look at his frame data in this thread http://smashboards.com/threads/link-hitbox-frame-data.331784/, you'll notice that a good portion of his moves are missing a hitbox at the tip of the sword. So even though he has a longer sword, his hitboxes don't cover all the extra length.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Thats technically not true, if you take a look at his frame data in this thread http://smashboards.com/threads/link-hitbox-frame-data.331784/, you'll notice that a good portion of his moves are missing a hitbox at the tip of the sword. So even though he has a longer sword, his hitboxes don't cover all the extra length.
Yeah, hitboxes on some of his moves don't reach the tip such as u-tilt, yet on others like f-tilt, the entire sword is covered. I personally would rather have it one way or the other instead of being fed visually conflicting information while playing. Ideally, I think they should extend the hitboxes to the tip of the sword, which would buff him a bit. If they really want to preserve the rangers on those odd moves for balance purposes, they should change the animation so that Link tilts his sword further outwards along the z-axis on those moves that were modified, effectively keep the range the same as before, but visually making more sense.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Marth and Link's swords are practically the same length. Link's is marginally bigger, but the tip hitboxes are not as big so it leads to be the same. In addition, Marth does stretch his arm out more while swinging.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Just to clarify, up tilt, 2nd hit of fsmash, up smash, 2nd hit of fair, uair, and dair do not cover the tip of the sword. The fact that some of his animations carry into the z axis is a little visually confusing, but at least it makes sense when you realize whats going on. The missing hitboxes on the tip of his sword however, makes absolutely no sense, and they need to be fixed immediately. Yet another blunder from the brawl developers that the pm team has to pick up the slack for.

NaijaboyIrin

Smash Apprentice
Link's bombs should really be 1:1 Melee in terms of KB angle/stats. The KB on his bombs is so high that bomb > upB is impossible at KO percents.

RAQU

Smash Apprentice
The only nerfs ive seen on link is the duration of his nairs sex kick. Used to last until he went completely neutral. Allowing it to combo into a second nair immediately or bait shield grabs. The other nerfsis his boomerang range. I personally felt it worked better with the longer range. It doesnt need to be back to its original range. Maybe one character length(half a BF platform) longer.

PS his arial up b doesnt combo nearly as well as the melee counterpart.

Top Bottom