• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Ganondorf considered a braindead character?

Shin_Mazinkaiser

Smash Journeyman
This is probably not even worth a spot here, but I'm genuinely curious about this specific thing.

I find that Ganondorf is rather easy to learn, but hard to be good with in a lot of matchups. (At least, I feel this way)

I win a lot of games against people who are capable of much more tech than I am, (Like Marth, Mario, Falco, and Falcon players who are able to to all the advanced crazy things.) and that I feel are stronger players than me.

I often am told that Ganondorf is not a character that "takes no skill to play" and that he's "easy mode" and "braindead".

But is he really? Do their complaints hold any weight?

What do you guys think?

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
He is totally brain dead, with hitboxes, recovery stuff, down throw, and he has a beard, so brain dead....lol nah, I'm just pullin your leg duder.

Seriously though, it can get pretty challenging to play him. He doesn't have any cool projectiles or a stupid little blue hexagon to bail him out of trouble. So he has to furiously punch and kick things, and hope they don't know how to edgeguard, because he will get edgeguarded lol....pretty hard.

Shin_Mazinkaiser

Smash Journeyman
He is totally brain dead, with hitboxes, recovery stuff, down throw, and he has a beard, so brain dead....lol nah, I'm just pullin your leg duder.

Seriously though, it can get pretty challenging to play him. He doesn't have any cool projectiles or a stupid little blue hexagon to bail him out of trouble. So he has to furiously punch and kick things, and hope they don't know how to edgeguard, because he will get edgeguarded lol....pretty hard.
Well, that's certainly a relief.

It's not as though I felt bad about playing him, I just get a lot of complaints playing Ganondorf in my circle of Smash players.

As I said, I'm not exactly a strong player, but my friends are. And they've been playing Melee before P:M much longer than I have even been into Smash as a game.

So it should come as no surprise that I don't really know much about the game as a whole. I picked Ganondorf because he seemed like a character with tools that worked like a character in traditional fighting games. (Which is where my expertise stems from)

Ganon feels like he can be played with a very read-based command grab game. Although . . that's probably not news to you, or anyone else here, lol.

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
the people who say "He doesn't take any skill" obviously don't know how to punish poor spacing and missed L cancels and they damn sure don't know how to edge guard him.

The only thing about Ganon that is semi brain dead is his chain throw on pretty much the whole cast. And that is hard to pull off because of Ganon's pitiful grab ranged.

Shin_Mazinkaiser

Smash Journeyman
the people who say "He doesn't take any skill" obviously don't know how to punish poor spacing and missed L cancels and they damn sure don't know how to edge guard him.

The only thing about Ganon that is semi brain dead is his chain throw on pretty much the whole cast. And that is hard to pull off because of Ganon's pitiful grab ranged.
I often forget he even has a chain throw.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Well, that's certainly a relief.

It's not as though I felt bad about playing him, I just get a lot of complaints playing Ganondorf in my circle of Smash players.

As I said, I'm not exactly a strong player, but my friends are. And they've been playing Melee before P:M much longer than I have even been into Smash as a game.

So it should come as no surprise that I don't really know much about the game as a whole. I picked Ganondorf because he seemed like a character with tools that worked like a character in traditional fighting games. (Which is where my expertise stems from)

Ganon feels like he can be played with a very read-based command grab game. Although . . that's probably not news to you, or anyone else here, lol.
Lol I've been there man, just treat your friends complaints as general frustration, and them voicing their inability to deal with that sweet ganon man sauce you're giving them. Ganon's stuff can be dealt with, so don't get discouraged by your friends, they just be hating too much.

Shin_Mazinkaiser

Smash Journeyman
Lol I've been there man, just treat your friends complaints as general frustration, and them voicing their inability to deal with that sweet ganon man sauce you're giving them. Ganon's stuff can be dealt with, so don't get discouraged by your friends, they just be hating too much.
So he's not broken like they keep telling me. I'm glad I can be sure of that now.

I actually wouldn't know myself seeing as how I've only been playing P:M a couple of months and have never actually played Melee in a competitive way to really be able to compare him to his Melee incarnate.

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
Contrary to popular belief Project M isn't a melee copy. They are probably just dealing with Ganon the same way they would deal with Melee Ganon. This doesn't really work the same way though he still has the same inherent weaknesses they just are not so glaring as they were in Melee. Keep trucking these guys eventually they will get over it.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I have a friend in your exact boat except we don't complain about Ganon. He does seem to appeal to newcomers. The players is still over relyant on his side b. I get hit by it too much for my liking despite this. I understand that is my fault.

Shin_Mazinkaiser

Smash Journeyman
Contrary to popular belief Project M isn't a melee copy. They are probably just dealing with Ganon the same way they would deal with Melee Ganon. This doesn't really work the same way though he still has the same inherent weaknesses they just are not so glaring as they were in Melee. Keep trucking these guys eventually they will get over it.
I tell them that, but because I am the least experienced of the group, my words don't carry as much weight in smash.

I hope they eventually realize the weaknesses in the character so they can get better, and I with them as a result.

Shin_Mazinkaiser

Smash Journeyman
I have a friend in your exact boat except we don't complain about Ganon. He does seem to appeal to newcomers. The players is still over relyant on his side b. I get hit by it too much for my liking despite this. I understand that is my fault.
Well, I don't really "rely" on side B in a way you might think.

I usually go for it when people are spacing poorly, or to catch people on a wake up roll or a tech roll.

I think a problem I have playing this game is that I treat Ganon like a Potemkin with wings.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I was not implying you overused it but the person I play with certainly does. It is a powerful tech chase tool, but this person will mix it up with down b as a primary form of approach.

Shin_Mazinkaiser

Smash Journeyman
I was not implying you overused it but the person I play with certainly does. It is a powerful tech chase tool, but this person will mix it up with down b as a primary form of approach.
I try not to make it my only approach.

I did that at first and people usually opted to up+back and Nair me.

I learned pretty quickly to use it only when I have momentum, to use it as a tech chase, or to catch a roll.

I also like to TK the side B and get a possible follow up.

Ace55

Smash Lord
"Is Ganondorf considered a braindead character?"

Well he does keep getting his plans ruined by some fairy boy who can't talk. You should've killed him in OoT when he was still a kid, Ganon.

Bakasama

Smash Apprentice
I started playing Project M only recently, and I avidly played Melee and Brawl for years in a semi-competitive environment, and from my fresh point of view, I think that Ganondorf is anything but braindead. While he doesn't have the opportunity to execute combos in the line of characters like Fox or Marth, he relies intensely on spacing and character reads, moreso than many other characters. Where he is heavy and slow in literal movement, he still has one of the greatest punishes in the game in the form of the flame choke. Dgrab to flamechoke, flamechoke to any move to dgrab, Ganondorf just knows how to put on the heat at close range, and keep the action low to the ground. If you want to really play someone braindead, you'd have to pick a character with less weakness in speed.
In all honesty, Fox comes to mind because it seems that many professionals used to play him similarly in melee. Just because you're not inputting over 60 buttons per minute, it doesn't mean you're braindead.

Shin_Mazinkaiser

Smash Journeyman
I started playing Project M only recently, and I avidly played Melee and Brawl for years in a semi-competitive environment, and from my fresh point of view, I think that Ganondorf is anything but braindead. While he doesn't have the opportunity to execute combos in the line of characters like Fox or Marth, he relies intensely on spacing and character reads, moreso than many other characters. Where he is heavy and slow in literal movement, he still has one of the greatest punishes in the game in the form of the flame choke. Dgrab to flamechoke, flamechoke to any move to dgrab, Ganondorf just knows how to put on the heat at close range, and keep the action low to the ground. If you want to really play someone braindead, you'd have to pick a character with less weakness in speed.
In all honesty, Fox comes to mind because it seems that many professionals used to play him similarly in melee. Just because you're not inputting over 60 buttons per minute, it doesn't mean you're braindead.
I personally believe that Fox/Falco are braindead.

Even at a basic level, they are incredibly strong and have too many tools that you have to respect. Otherwise you get bopped.

SnatoWhato

Smash Cadet
Not sure. But landing that punch is just such an amazing feeling! I personally think it takes quite a bit of skill to play well with the bigger, heavier, slower characters. It's quite a challenge to land a good Smash Attack or evade attacks.. for me at least.

Ninjamo

Smash Cadet
I often am told that Ganondorf is not a character that "takes no skill to play" and that he's "easy mode" and "braindead".

But is he really? Do their complaints hold any weight?
What do you guys think?
Sounds like butt-rage to me. Especially considering how much the characters they use can combo, gimp, and ledge**** most of the cast, let alone Gdorf.

Just say "l2p" a lot. Its good for morale. :grin:

SnatoWhato

Smash Cadet
^ Well excuuuuse me, Princess!

I know its off topic. I just wanted to do it. lol

firebro17

Smash Cadet
He is one of the easier characters to use. I manage to 4 stock lvl 9 with ganon only (i suck btw)

Aenglaan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aenglaan
3DS FC
0559-8074-9911
I would say no. He's slow and has no projectiles, which easily gives him a learning curve of some sort. And as others have said, spacing with Ganon is much more important with him than with other characters (due to moves like the Flame Choke, U-tilt, jab, and f-tilt).

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
The only hard part about Ganon is dealing with situations where he has to be defensive. You're probably not gonna be able to rush down a Sheik or Marth, and other characters are gonna be really safe on your shield. So you have to be patient and only pick "good" opportunities to attempt anything offensive, which is hard to do vs his harder MU's in the game.

WizKick

Smash Apprentice

Ganondorf is the modern descendant of the T-Rex, after all.

shwickid222

Smash Journeyman
Ganon is by no means brain dead. You have to read your opponent like a book, get used to terrible cooldown times, learn your spacing, utilize everything youve got. His new up tilt is much quicker and the first kick of it, can send your opponent into the 2nd kick. His recovery needs armor (my oppinion) hes one of the easiest characters to edge guard, and mario can cape the hell out of him. Your friends sound like scrubs (in a smash sense. Not real life lol) ganon has good tech chase... and another thing alot of people forget, HE IS THE KING OF TECH PUNISH. If you dont tech out of his attacks... your a gonner. Hope this helped.

Fortress

Smash Master
"Is Ganondorf braindead?"

I don't know, why don't you direct that question to Ganon's fist? Dude doesn't need a brain when the only language he speaks is Fisticuffs.

I agree with the sentiment that if you don't tech Ganondorf's attacks or react well, that you can be obliterated at fairly low percents. One of my roommates picked him up, and it always sucks to get careless around a grounded Wizard's Foot out of a Flame Choke. The Ganon boot shows no mercy.

And those spikes? Man, I was spiked at about seventy in the first seven seconds of a game on Castle Siege as Luigi, and it was downright terrifying. Ganondorf has some sluggish combo options that, with things like simple L-Cancelling and good reading of your opponent, can quickly put the hurt on. The G-man is always something to take on.

shwickid222

Smash Journeyman
I hate playing snake. Idc what anyone says. Hes got toooo much. His grab reach is insane, abd his dagger smash is too powerful. I feel braindead pkaying snake lol

WizKick

Smash Apprentice
"Is Ganondorf braindead?"

I don't know, why don't you direct that question to Ganon's fist? Dude doesn't need a brain when the only language he speaks is Fisticuffs.

I agree with the sentiment that if you don't tech Ganondorf's attacks or react well, that you can be obliterated at fairly low percents. One of my roommates picked him up, and it always sucks to get careless around a grounded Wizard's Foot out of a Flame Choke. The Ganon boot shows no mercy.

And those spikes? Man, I was spiked at about seventy in the first seven seconds of a game on Castle Siege as Luigi, and it was downright terrifying. Ganondorf has some sluggish combo options that, with things like simple L-Cancelling and good reading of your opponent, can quickly put the hurt on. The G-man is always something to take on.

I wish I was skilled enough to make this paragraph true for my Ganon. lol

Justkallmekai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ProjectM3.0
3DS FC
0473-8282-3242
I don't really think that he is a brain dead character.

I mean he has really powerful attacks yes, and noobs would choose him for his strength, but when facing my noobish friend when he went Ganondorf was a not even a challenge. I was Marth so he couldn't keep up with me, and he was getting combo'd so much, but a skilled
Ganondorf is scary, cause they'll combo you really good but without using his powerful attacks.

So is Ganondorf a brain dead character, not really.

Fortress

Smash Master
There are braindead Ganondorf players who rely on things like f-smash, d-air, and down-special to carry them through the game, but G-dorf can do so much more with his stellar aerial game.

lvl 9

Smash Rookie
Do a D-air on a Marth mid up B. A little harder than it sounds. It takes some skill.

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
There are braindead Ganondorf players who rely on things like f-smash, d-air, and down-special to carry them through the game, but G-dorf can do so much more with his stellar aerial game.
Who in the **** is relying on f-smash to carry them through the game?

Top Bottom