• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is "For Glory" a competitive scene?

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
If you mean "is it a legit competition", then no.

For Glory is Final Destination only, has lag, and the people you fight are entirely random. Most of the battles you'll fight are just going to be gimmicky fights where people only use 5 of their moves, a game of "counter the spammer", or "chase the camper".

Other than learning some matchups, no way. For Glory is entirely random, and even if you do fight someone incredibly good, there's still the lag and Final Destination problem.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
If you mean "is it a legit competition", then no.

For Glory is Final Destination only, has lag, and the people you fight are entirely random. Most of the battles you'll fight are just going to be gimmicky fights where people only use 5 of their moves, a game of "counter the spammer", or "chase the camper".

Other than learning some matchups, no way. For Glory is entirely random, and even if you do fight someone incredibly good, there's still the lag and Final Destination problem.
Lag isn't always a problem. The stage is, however, but most characters can handle it anyways. I find good players quite a bit. Maybe 1 in 3 times per person.

iLLuMinati_EYE

Smash Apprentice
i really wish there was a Grading/Battle point system like in street fighter 4 in for glory for example, all your characters start of with a D Grade and 0 Battle points and the more you win with that character the more battle points you obtain resulting in you getting a higher grade when reaching a certain amount of battle points.Players would of have more of an incentive to win for glory matches, but like typical nintendo when it comes to online stuff their still stuck in like 2006 and i can't help but feel they always miss out on great opportunities.

Last edited:

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
It is a competitive scene to an extent. If you don't care about your [as far as I know] arbitrary win rate like I do, then it is a prime testing ground to improve the way you play your characters, and learn what is easily punishable, what isnt, etc. If you play around a lot and try not to stick to the same people for several matches, then you're bound to run into some pretty good people. I mean, you might run into someone like Shofu and get wrecked. You might also run into me and my okayish Marth. I'm improving, and part of that is due to Smash Boards players and the smaller communities I've found within it, and part of it is due to For Glory. I mean, through it I've developed a pretty solid way to eat through Dededee, Bowser, Luci/Marth, and an alright way to counter Yoshi, Little Mac, and Rosilina and Zero suit. Its helped me to improve my general play. It also has helped me to get a general idea as to what my skill level is. When I started playing FG, my win rate was between 70-80%. Its dropped since then, considerably at first to 30%, and now its back up, nearing 50. A few days ago, my win rate over the last 10 battles was 70%, and over the last 50 was high 50 percentile. Im not the best though. If you are tourney calibur, you're going to be disatisfied.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It's a competitive mode, but not a competitive scene.

It encourages you to get better, it's a nice tool for learning characters and the overall meta, and most of the time it's lag free and runs just like an offline game.

However, there is no way to converse with your opponent before, during, and after the match, which automatically prevents it from being as good as a true competitive scene. As you cannot discuss your matches with the opponent, give each other pointers and such, or even just make friends. The social/community element is completely absent.

Which is fine, because that's what With Friends and Smashboards are for. For Glory is good if I just want to get straight to fighting.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
These days I only play it if I can't get a friend match. Friend matches are so much better.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
Lag isn't always a problem. The stage is, however, but most characters can handle it anyways. I find good players quite a bit. Maybe 1 in 3 times per person.
Lag is an infinitely huge problem, don't underestimate it just because it "feels okay". Even if it's only 10 frames of input lag(That would be an amazing connection, Brawl's offline modes had 10 frames of delay), that's 10 frames you could've reacted earlier, which is a LOT on high-level play. Tournaments avoid certain TVs for the mere fact they can be 2/3 frames slower on input time.

So yes. This is a problem. A huge problem. Maybe not for the level you're playing at when you're beating newbies on "For Glory", but DEFINITLY on high-level play.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Lag is an infinitely huge problem, don't underestimate it just because it "feels okay". Even if it's only 10 frames of input lag(That would be an amazing connection, Brawl's offline modes had 10 frames of delay), that's 10 frames you could've reacted earlier, which is a LOT on high-level play. Tournaments avoid certain TVs for the mere fact they can be 2/3 frames slower on input time.

So yes. This is a problem. A huge problem. Maybe not for the level you're playing at when you're beating newbies on "For Glory", but DEFINITLY on high-level play.
Dude, he just said it isn't always a problem. And he's right. Most of my own matches have been perfect. It's down to the connections of the individual players. The overall online infrastructure of the game facilitates online play just fine, you just have to make sure your connection is good, and hope your opponent's is (though when playing With Friends, you can just make sure everyone's connection is good enough).

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
Dude, he just said it isn't always a problem. And he's right. Most of my own matches have been perfect. It's down to the connections of the individual players. The overall online infrastructure of the game facilitates online play just fine, you just have to make sure your connection is good, and hope your opponent's is (though when playing With Friends, you can just make sure everyone's connection is good enough).
Did you not read about the "10 frames delay", which is unnoticeable to most people, ESPECIALLY those who came from Brawl? You wouldn't say Brawl had any lag either in offline, but it does. A 6~14 frames delay is only the case with near-perfect connections, otherwise it's worse. Again, just because you don't notice your reaction time being slower against some newbies, doesn't mean the lag is not there.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Did you not read about the "10 frames delay", which is unnoticeable to most people, ESPECIALLY those who came from Brawl? You wouldn't say Brawl had any lag either in offline, but it does. A 6~14 frames delay is only the case with near-perfect connections, otherwise it's worse. Again, just because you don't notice your reaction time being slower against some newbies, doesn't mean the lag is not there.
"Assumption the Post"

I have played many fighting games (and others) online before. In Tekken, I used the Training Modes "Lag Simulator" to practice playing under lag.

And for the record, not everyone on FG is a noob (to say they are means you are too, since you've obviously tried it at least once).

I have also experienced lag in this game. Even the tiniest bit throws me off (especially since Rosalina CANNOT afford to have any lag at all, due to the precise and technical nature of the character).

I know the difference between lag and no lag. Especially since I make use of things like air dodge cancelling and Luma de-syncing in online play, things that become difficult even with a slight bit of lag.

This game can be experienced with virtually none to literally no lag, if your connection is really good, both your's and your opponent's. So as the poster said earlier, "lag isn't always a problem". It depends on the setup of the players.

Personally, I have 100Mbps download and 20Mbps upload, with rarely any ping. So I have absolutely no issues so long as my opponent has a good enough connection. If they do, my matches are indeed lagless. I can perform all of the techniques I would apply offline just as perfectly. If not, matches tend to not be a fun experience and I feel disconnected from my character's movements.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Brawl has up to 2 frames of input lag. It probably went unnoticed because of the lenient buffering system. At least you can fix it with a code.

10 frames isn't that good of a connection, kind of like 166 ping, right?

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Lol. 10 frame lag would definitely be noticeable.

Online is going to have lag no matter what, but a good connection should only mean 1 or 2 frames of lag, maybe 3. Not 10. 10 frames of lag is pretty freaking bad actually. Also, Brawl had a 10 frame buffer window, not 10 frames of lag. As stated above above me, Brawl only has up to 2 frames of delay

Please stop spreading misinformation SmashWolf.

Shuckle89

Smash Apprentice
Yup, I agree with the people here. It's a great way to learn and in general much better than cpus, but, the lag... I mean, a lot of times the opponent is so bad you can win either way but especially those close ones, the lag is truly unbearable. So many times you try to do something that requires perfect timing. You know the perfect timing, as you've been playing for so long, and it fails because of the delay that makes you miss whatever you do. It's very annoying. It also changes constantly. At times there is hardly if non at all, but at other times it's so bad you play with almost a second delay, disconnects and teleporting players.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Yup, I agree with the people here. It's a great way to learn and in general much better than cpus, but, the lag... I mean, a lot of times the opponent is so bad you can win either way but especially those close ones, the lag is truly unbearable. So many times you try to do something that requires perfect timing. You know the perfect timing, as you've been playing for so long, and it fails because of the delay that makes you miss whatever you do. It's very annoying. It also changes constantly. At times there is hardly if non at all, but at other times it's so bad you play with almost a second delay, disconnects and teleporting players.
It's based on both fighters connection. If both of you have a good connection then you will only see the usual 2 or so frames of lag. But if one of you have a bad connection it is going to be laggy for both players. So yea. Less lag depends on both players having a good connection.

It's definitely an improvement from Brawl though.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
Aye I try to make it a habit myself. Sure, one win, that's fine, let's see how the second game goes. If that is also a little too smooth, I'll pop off and re-roll into FG to see what it delivers next. That said if there is nothing quite like meeting a formidable opponent in FG and having a host of intense rounds. Unfortunately there is also nothing like wanting to add them to your friends and you cant.
i think it's good to keep playing people you beat easily sometimes to help them improve. especially if you are camping, it helps people grow as players bit by bit even if you might not have as much fun.

...it does serve as decent combo practice... and edgeguard practice.

Frostav

Smash Apprentice
Man where the hell are you guys playing that everyone you encounter is a noob?

Everytime I go on FG I get paired with some insane combo fiend who activates Melee Mode and two-stocks me before I get a single hit in.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
To what others have said: It is not a 'community' because you cannot converse with your opponents. Things like smashboards and www.reddit.com/r/smashconnect are competitive/online communities. For Glory is random anonymous (basically) matchmaking.

Nevarro

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nevarro
3DS FC
0619-5007-5867
I tried for glory, played a Falco, lost all my games. Unfortunately my hands were shaking so much I couldn't hold the 3DS properly, I think I'll just play the AI and friends until I know what I'm doing, still very new to smash in general. As I'm getting the Wii U version, it should all just be practice for me anyway until I can play at an offline scene.
The modes Intentions are good, it should suffice as good for practice for everyone in general until you can find a whole bunch of friends to play instead. Offline will always be best for competition.

Regi_King

Smash Rookie
NNID
RegiShikimi
I play there for practice, not really for a competitive scene. I tend to play till I find someone who gives up a good fight and if I'm not feeling so lazy, I might go to the Nintendojo ladder for some serious matches.

"Laddering" in the 3DS is a bit of a hassle, needing to go offline, home menu, friend list, etc, not as fast as when one played ladders in Brawl. Hopefully, Smash Wii U makes it less of a pain.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
If its a competitive scene it's a pretty crappy one tbh...

1) Lag (which has been elaborated on ad-nauseum in this thread)
2) No communication with opponents
3) The vast majority of people are just straight up bad
4) People quitting against you after the first match just to protect their silly W/L ratio (this happens so often it's frustrating)
5) No custom movesets available
6) No stage selection available (massive oversight here)

For me For Glory is more of a practice arena to learn MUs and such. Other than that? Meh...

Last edited:

Shouxiao

Smash Journeyman
It can be practice but I honestly do not take For Glory mode seriously due to these reasons.

1. Lag Even if there is not a log of it there is general a bit of delay. Of course things have greatly improved over the last game.

2. All stages are Endpoint/Final Destination with only 2 differences. Some can be gone under and others allow certain characters to wall cling. If there was a system that allow stages like Battlefield, Yoshi's Island, Prism Tower, etc to be randomly selected or voted on between 2 people than that would be better. It would help if there was a Battlefield version of many stages.

3. I think the rule set should be something like 3 stock and 8mins. While this game has huge blast lines it is still faster than the last game.

The TaBuu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheTaBuu
3DS FC
3454-0444-5134
gosh i must be that one awkward nubcake who takes FG Win/Loss records seriously :(
In all honesty though, I think one of FG's benefits is being able to find a strong player (every blue moon) and then hopefully being able to get their FC down so you can train with them

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I take my W/L ratio seriously! ... But I know it is not some mathematical representation of skill. For Glory is certainly flooded with bad players, but it's a nice controlled environment. No items or stupid stages muckin' up the works means quality practice. The majority of my matches are lag-free (as opposed to Brawl where 1 in 10 matches had tolerable lag). Obviously, if the person on the other end has awful lag, my lag follows.

Proper tournament brackets will be the only legitimate "competitive scene", but, unlike last generation, online tournaments will be worth something.

Smallfry

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0189-8684-8327
I always seem to find a lack of competition on For Glory, and only use it to test characters I'm not good at. This seems to make my rank down of course, but is there any reason people want a high score on for glory? I just don't see the purpose in winning 9 times out of 10. Wifi matches with real people is the best plan imo :p How do you guys feel about for glory's simplicity, and do you think that it will get better?
I love For GLory, But its boring compared to playing with friends and talking over the phone, and me and my friends also play like For Glroy, FD No items.

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
Don't need to analyze anything really, just look at every other fighting game and it's online ranked mode. In the end online never compares to tourney or skillful players. There is usually slight lag that doesn't allow you to react to moves properly. On top of that you don't really get high level competition, just people that usually use basic tactics to win against the majority of people who don't know how to play. Sometimes you get competent opponents, but most of the serious ones are going to tourneys and playing games "with Friends". Online ranking does not equate to skill.

PsychicHero

Smash Rookie
I'm honestly hoping wii u for glory will have a separate ranking. I know it sounds dumb but the 3ds can't handle online multiplayer. Maybe the new 3ds can but not the current models.

Currently however I keep fight bowser trolls

Saturnity

Smash Rookie
It's definitely a competitive mode. A scene needs some kind of communication, though. You can't even add friends reliably.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
The answer is no, as others have said. It's an attempt but ultimately it's not even close.

There is lag. And it is incredibly noticeable, whether both players have great connections or not. That alone kills it. Then you have a single (or two, if you count walled/unwalled) stage.

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
To me, For Glory is its own competitive scene, and I feel like this:
1) I fight against an opponent 2-3 times, whether win or lose.
2) I move out if the opponent has not, and try to contemplate a strategy for the next.
3) I revolve around opponents every 2 or 3 matches, unless they are competitively decent.

By the way, quick question, has anyone ever played against a guy using Link and he always ends up beating you?
And does his user tag have "Stephen" above the character?

Last edited:

Neverbound

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wulfiepaw
Switch FC
5778-4164-2795
It needs a player filter and friend adding system, you will get better but it's pretty free online

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Of course it is.

Last edited:

Maître Luigi

Smash Apprentice
I'm using a 3DS XL and I often have bad lag but do disconnection issue yet. I'm curious if anyone knows of any semi-competitive ladders online, perhaps similar to allisbrawl?

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
I'm using a 3DS XL and I often have bad lag but do disconnection issue yet. I'm curious if anyone knows of any semi-competitive ladders online, perhaps similar to allisbrawl?
How about AllIsBrawl?

It's now called NintendoDojo why is it not NintenDojo, but it's still the same site, and they have a ladder now.

PichuAngel

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1289-8688-6090
I would say For Glory is a competitive scene sometimes. Most times you'll get paired up with someone well skilled and other times not so much. Also I noticed For Glory does often lag which really irritates me cause it messes up my counter abilities and or strategies. I either fall without my purpose or mess up some other way that I would most likely never do in regular play without lag.
I love For Glory, it's actually a great mode to use with your main for practice! It has its up and downs for overall, exciting.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
I think it depends. I make no claim of being a competitive smasher and haven't played competitively in YEARS, but I'm thinking of getting into it with the new game. I kind of suck, but that's more because I A) Want to get as good as possible with Pikachu, my main in past games, and B) try to face good players who will consistently kick my ass, thus giving me a opportunity to improve. I will play anybody at least twice, since I figure if I'm better than them I owe it to them to allow them to improve from me kicking their ass.

So, I'm going to say that it's more of a teaching tool than anything because of what I just said. People are trying out characters, some people will keep fighting players who will kick their ass, and vice-versa. As a result, the results are kind of muddled with qualifications. I mean, I'm sure that anybody who is winning the vast, vast majority of their "For Glory" games over hundreds of matches probably IS very good, but..

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
It is competitive by definition, simply put. It is however not a "scene" for the exact reason people have mentioned already; no communication. Without communication there is no community and without community there is no scene.

I'm starting to think a majority of the people arguing that it's not competitive because of the amount of "bad" players that populate For Glory are in fact scrubs themselves. If you attend a tournament s that are not invitationals you will very often run into bad players during pools and the early rounds, that's the nature of the beast. Competitive activities, no matter what they are, tend to look like a pyrimid; most of the player population will make up the base and lower middle as there is only so much room at the top. To expect everyone to be at least "moderately good" in comparison to the population as a whole is absurd. This is of course going to be exasperated by the easy access to other players that For Glory offers. To drive my point home, in all likelyhood many people who place as the grand champions of their local tournies and are regarded as good players in their local scenes probably would struggle at the likes of The Big House or Apex. The ratio of good/moderate/bad players is in no way a solid argument.

Personally I've found it a great way to practice matchups that I would not see often normally and would probably get cheesed against at tournament and lose. Its a great tool, and with a good WiFi environment and a solid connection speed I've been able to try out techniques and face many different variables than I would practicing alone or against friends (you eventually learn friend's and sparing partner's tendencies).

Last edited:
Top Bottom