• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is entering tournaments as a newbie a good idea?

Cynthetik

Smash Rookie
I was doing smash with a friend and he explained to me that the best way to improve is to participate in tournaments. I felt that it didn't make sense. I'm the type of player who couldn't stand a chance in For Glory. I was hoping to wait until I got to a competitive skill level to go to a tournament. The last thing I need is joining too early and looking like an idiot and getting stomped.

Is it a good idea for a noob to join a tournament?

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
I've been practicing Smash 4 pretty consistently since it's release and I still wouldn't have the nerve to enter a tournament! I envy your confidence. I personally want to wait until I get better before taking part in a tournament, but that's just me. I think you might be better off honing your skills a little, and then hopping into a tourney.

Since you're clearly eager to improve, I'd advise taking a look at Smashladder. The problem with For Glory is that the person you're fighting can't give you any advice on how to improve or tell you where you're going wrong. The site I mentioned has a live chat system, so you can converse with your opponent and ask for pointers. I guess this is kind of off topic, but I just wanted to show you a possible way to improve before you take to the tourney scene :p

But of course, getting stomped in Smash is a great way to learn. I wouldn't worry about looking like an idiot either, we all have to learn what we're doing right and wrong. If you do decide to find a tournament to join, go there with a good layer of thick skin, and make sure you politely ask your opponent for advice after your match. Some people will give it, some won't. Good luck!

Kraetyz

Smash Cadet
If you're the type of person who doesn't like getting stomped in front of people, I guess I wouldn't recommend joining a tournament. However, if you really are interested in learning to play and performing well, there is no better way to learn than getting beaten up for an entire day! :D

Last edited:

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
Attending tournaments actually does improve your skill level. As you play with more experienced players, you'll start to pick up on things you should be doing and things you shouldn't be doing, as well as some techniques that will drastically improve your gameplay. Plus there may be someone who'll give you some constructive advice.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Absolutely, but simply showing up, entering, playing, losing, and leaving won't gain you much.

You want to try and get connected with your local scene, play as many friendlies as you can, and watch matches between good players. (In that order of priorities)

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Tournaments are far and away the best place to meet a variety of players and get loads of vital experience. If your aim is to improve as quickly and efficiently as possible, it's the best option by far.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
You can still show up to the tourney and just watch and play friendlies and you don't have to actually enter. I know I have a monthly happening this weekend and I am hoping to show-up but have no plans to enter it, just watch and do friendlies, as 15$ is a bit much just to get my ass bopped. But yea going to tournament, even if you just go to watch and and play friendlies, is a nice way to improve and meet better players. If your region hosts Smashfests, which are typically free in my experience, periodically those are good to go to as well.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
If you eventually want to enter events and win sets, nerves are something you'll have to deal with, and the only way you'll be able to get in that position would be to have something on the line. The most efficient way to do that tends to be entering tournaments.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Tournaments are far and away the best place to meet a variety of players and get loads of vital experience. If your aim is to improve as quickly and efficiently as possible, it's the best option by far.
I think a good smashfest is ideal, since you will probably have more time to play, and be less intimidated as a new player. (Which is realistically a big deal for most people)

But how do you get connected with people to attend a smashfest? Especially in this age where everything is hidden away on Facebook? Well... you go to tournaments.

And yeah, tourney sets are crucial for developing certain mental/psychological skills. That doesn't happen overnight.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
Absolutely yes. You just need to go about it in a particular way. After your games, ask the opponent for any advice, most people should be willing to give you some (even if only to boost their own ego) and they'll probably help you a lot. I was fairly decent at Brawl, but I never really improved until I wound up going to a smashfest in Albuquerque where I went up against some legitimate pro players. All it took was one sentence from a Pikachu player who's name escapes me, he just said to me after the game "You roll too much" and went about his other matches. It was a simple thing, and I didn't even realize how much it would affect my play, but I've improved drastically just making that one small change.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
If you eventually want to enter events and win sets, nerves are something you'll have to deal with, and the only way you'll be able to get in that position would be to have something on the line. The most efficient way to do that tends to be entering tournaments.
I guess that's true about most people. But I tend not to get nervous about those types of things. I've entered a few 5-10$ tournament in the past and I pretty much knew that I was paying to get my ass bopped, still try to play my best but I don't get hung up over it. But 15$ is a bit too much for me to pay to get my ass bopped. But, hey, that just may be me.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Might be harder to say once you're playing for triple-digits of dollars in a Grand Finals set...

capfalcon159

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4742-6316-2285
I was doing smash with a friend and he explained to me that the best way to improve is to participate in tournaments. I felt that it didn't make sense. I'm the type of player who couldn't stand a chance in For Glory. I was hoping to wait until I got to a competitive skill level to go to a tournament. The last thing I need is joining too early and looking like an idiot and getting stomped.

I think that since you have a friend that plays competitive smash, you can go, watch him play a few matches, and if it seems way to hard, just say that you're going with your friend to cheer him on. This is a good way to get a feel for the environment of the tournament, and if you like it, play a few matches or friendlies. I am going to my first tournament pretty soon, and it will be a lot tougher because I don't have any friends that play smash, and I'm still in middle school. And if you suck, most people are more than willing to help you get better and give you some tips. Good luck!

Raijinken

Smash Master
One does not learn to swim by diving into the deep end immediately.

Once you learn the basics and have a solid main character and whatnot, then it may be alright to compete. But there is a certain minimum level of skill you need (which I wouldn't know if you had, that's up to you and/or friends to evaluate) in order to be able to even start applying what happens in a tournament.

Otherwise you're just paying to get eliminated off the bat, which I personally don't find fun. If I just want to watch, I'll watch online and skip the venue fee.

A lot of that just depends on how much disposable income you have, though. I don't see a reason to pay to lose when I can have friends over, experiment and learn more, spectate, and play as many rounds as I want, for free*.

*Disregarding the cost of console, game, controllers, adapter, and the electricity bill which is paid for by the university and covered under my housing plan

D

Deleted member 269706

I say go for it. Obviously you should know the basics of the game, have a main, a decent controller set-up, and a simple strategy. Maybe it won't get you far, but you have to start somewhere! The sooner you get a feel for it, the sooner you'll be able to move up the ranks! Best of luck friend, and if you do decide to go, make sure to rawk 'em for me!

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
You won't even need to compete in the tournament to play matches either. A bunch of people love to play friendlies, so if you don't feel comfortable playing in the tournament, it would be a good idea to at least try some friendlies.

Dwiz

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dwizzy787
I recommend joining an online ladder. You'll be against real people, and they'll be able to give you advice unlike in For Glory. Once you have the fundamentals down, go to weekly/biweekly's in the nearest major city. You'll probably still get wrecked, as offline play is... different, but you'll learn a lot very fast.

EDIT: If you go to weeklies, my advice is to show up early and play as many friendlies as possible. Get to know as many people as possible, and let them know you're looking for advice.

Last edited:

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582

Go ahead and join a 5 dollar tournament. The real experience of a tournament setting will get your mind in a better position when you're ready to excel in a bracket setting. You could be the best player in the world at the game but if you don't put yourself in real social situations playing beside someone you might choke if you're not prepared.

Timbers

check me out
It's a good situation to put yourself in, but you should primarily be there to strengthen your social networking within your local community. Be outspoken and friendly, insert yourself into your local scene, and just be a joyful person to be around. People will want to invite you to smashfests and will be more than willing to help coach you.

SageEnder

Smash Cadet
NNID
carmLne
It also really helps if you find another player who mains your character to watch and see different play styles in real time

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
I started competitive Smash when Smash U got released (I lost my darn 3DS right before October...) And even though i'm still a scrub, I attend tournaments just so I can improve!

However, attending at major tournaments, or even a slightly well-known tournament will be bad, since mostly experts will be their, and you will only get one battle, since you will lose at first round.

I recomend going to the type of tournaments that aren't as popular. There are two options to go:

Twitch

Some Café, Restraunt,etc that has a smash club that holds tournaments.

There this guy on Twitch called E_N_Tizzy. He holds tournaments every Saturday at 4:00 pm EST. I go to that tournament, because it's a good start for a scrub like me.

You can join! And if you want, I can hold a spot for you!

Last edited:
Top Bottom