• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

is dK fair useful?

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
i like dk but his fair just seems to slow to ever work if i am wrong can you tell me when it can be used thanks

ook

Smash Lord
I use it a lot, probably more than I should though. I think the best thing to use it for is spiking people as they're trying to recover. And even if you don't time it right to get the spike, it still has really good knockback and usually kills them anyway. But yeah, it's really slow and hard to time. :(

If they're on a platform above you, sometimes you can do a little short hop and fair them. Sometimes they'll see it coming and dodge though, and then you have really bad landing lag. But it sometimes works. :dizzy:

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
ok thanks i thought it might have some spiking uses i guess i just need to get more use to the timing

WFL

Smash Journeyman
From playing against a pretty good dk for a full day I'll tell you it's a pretty useful move. Dair is better for spiking, but his fair has good enough knock back to kill off stage.

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
I use the fair a lot for spacing purposes actually.
if I anticipate that my opponent is going to shield, you can hit them just right that you push your opponenent far enough away so that they can't grab you or what not.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
^ Fair is so slow on the ground that if someone does shield, they still have time to see it coming and spot dodge, roll, or even throw DK out of it. Even if they do just shield it if they have a ranged tilt like Dedede or decent dash grab DK's lag is bad enough he be punished after, even with the slight pushback.

Tx3Fate

Smash Cadet
clownair is godlike. You might really only be able to use it a couple times a match, but its not a bad move by any measure. =)

Stalfoe

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't use Fair (or Dair for that matter) on the stage. It's too slow to come out and the landing lag is easily punished. They are great moves in the air or off the stage though.

TierWhore

Smash Journeyman
I love DK's fair when i'm getting hit off the stage. IF they try to come out towards you, space the fair properly to spike them. Also, you can predict jumps with the fair because of it's huge range and lag time, similar to bowser's uair in melee.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
fair is great for when your opponents are on a platform, set it up so only your hands come through and whack em without fear of retaliation,

for spikes though, dair is easier to set up and hits them harder, I use that for most spikes, but fair is still great for nonspike ledgeguarding

Mann

Smash Ace
I wouldn't use Fair (or Dair for that matter) on the stage. It's too slow to come out and the landing lag is easily punished. They are great moves in the air or off the stage though.
I never thought of using Fair/Dair in the air before. Never.

Fair takes so long. I use it beceause I'm so used to everyone else's Fair, that it's more of a mistake when I use it. Better off using Bairs/Uairs if possible.

Bars

Smash Rookie
i feel that N-air is so much more useful than using f-air just because its instant

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
is there a better way to recover vertically?

I try to up b if I'm below the stage, but it barely goes vertical and I die a lot this way.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
is there a better way to recover vertically?

I try to up b if I'm below the stage, but it barely goes vertical and I die a lot this way.
don't go below the stage. there is no need to recover vertically

FonDL

Smash Rookie
cargo dtoss links nicely into a fair if your opponent isn't careful on recovery. pretty much cargo dtoss them from about 3 chars lengths from the edge, then jump forward and immediately fair. Alot of times people will just jump straight into it if they're not careful. aside from that, just use it like you'd use a normal spike.

OMAR the O

Smash Cadet
The fair is a harder move to time and space than most, and if you miss with it or mess up with it somewhere it is too easily punished. I'll use it maybe once or twice a match and I will usually not miss those 1 or 2 times because my opponent doesn't really expect it. If I used it more often I will mess it up constantly and receive too much punishment.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
I don't think I saw this mentioned, but Fair lands without lag out of a FJ, and you can do FJ, Fair, DJ, Fair off the stage then return with UpB.

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
Tom has demonstrated that an immediate Fair while running off the stage can be recovered from, with a DJ and upB.

Top Bottom