• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Diet or Regular Soda Healthier?

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Which is more unhealthy?

I've been drinking diet my whole life, but from what I've come to understand, some of the stuff in it is bad for you, and one chemical in particular will make your brain think that you aren't full while you would be if you weren't drinking diet (while eating).

So, my question is, is it better to drink diet and avoid the direct calorie intake, or drink regular and avoid the possibly indirect calorie intake and other chemicals?

Or perhaps only drink regular with food?

I know the best choice is to not drink soda at all, but that's not the answer I'm looking for.

You could also throw in which you like more.

~rh

Smash Lord
I've been told that diet is actually unhealthier than regular soda for my whole life. So I never drink it. Plus I really don't like that odd taste that all diet sodas have from the faker sweeteners, so regular is the way to go for me.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
i was raised without diet drinks cuz its "bad" for me. nowadays though, i dont drink it cuz it just plain sucks.
i typically drink water instead. but i'm i'm going to enjoy a soda, i danm well will enjoy a full soda- not some diet crap.

Diet Drinks are just a way for fat people to feel they're doing something about their weight, without having to do any work. U know how to lose weight faster than a diet drink? drink water, fatty.

ky72x

Smash Apprentice
I would just stick with regular soda. It may have a lot a sugar but it tastes much better, and besides, I really don't drink too much of it anyway. Caffeine is something you have to watch out for too, although some regular sodas (lemon-lime flavored ones like Sierra Mist) are caffeine-free.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I drink Diet Coke because it tastes better. Anyone who says otherwise is dumb, ugly, and more likely then not a rapist.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Diet Drinks are just a way for fat people to feel they're doing something about their weight, without having to do any work. U know how to lose weight faster than a diet drink? drink water, fatty.
People typically don't choose diet or regular based on weight loss, but rather on weight gain. It's ignorant to think that people try and lose weight by drinking diet- or regular for that matter, they just don't want to make a decision that's going to make them more unhealthy that they have to be.

I drink Diet Coke because it tastes better. Anyone who says otherwise is dumb, ugly, and more likely then not a rapist.
Hearing someone else say what's on my mind is reassuring.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
I'm not necessarily afraid of the 200 calories or the caffeine as much as I am the carbonation and the just plain acidic pH of the drinks. It causes my stomach acid to reflux into my throat if I drink more than a few sodas a week.

Though on the subject of diet vs. regular soda, if you're going to be drinking sweetener a lot anyways, it seems like the "horrible" artificial sweetener wont do much more evil than the normal one would have; its all about moderation. Sure you'll get bladder cancer from the diet sodas, but only if you drink so much of it that you would have had serious side effects with regular soda too, right?

mr_kennedy44

Smash Journeyman
I hate the taste of diet sodas. Regular all the way for me. The calories are a small price to pay for a better tasting beverage. With diet you have the chemicals plus a horrid taste.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
People typically don't choose diet or regular based on weight loss, but rather on weight gain. It's ignorant to think that people try and lose weight by drinking diet- or regular for that matter, they just don't want to make a decision that's going to make them more unhealthy that they have to be.
no, thats point. people ARE ignorant. they drink diet drinks because they want to LOSE weight. i never said drinking diets makes u lose weight..but thats the perception of dumb people from advertisement.

"Diet Drinks are just a way for fat people to feel they're doing something about their weight"

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Personally I don't even drink soda - well, I do just not often. However regular over diet anyday. Diet if anything is unhealthier, and I've even been told that it actually makes you gain more weight.
Plus it tastes like crap.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
It's like asking what's healthier, getting stabbed in the kidney or stabbed in the spleen. One's healthier than the other, but they're both bad.

Regardless, screw coke, go go Pepsi max!

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
As Mic said it's all pretty much poison anyway. I'm just waiting for researchers to announce that in fact everything causes cancer.

Mugquomp

Smash Ace
Well, I think the only time I've drank coke in the past two years or so has been as part of a Piscola. And I'm pretty sure it was regular coke, not Coca-Cola Light (a.k.a. Diet Coke). Although neither one is very healthy in my view. I usually try to stay away from soda, although if I'm going to drink it, I'll opt for the full-on experience, none of the watered down diet soda. Even though it isn't watered down...it's just a different formula.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
Fats

Calorie-conscious consumers who opt for diet sodas may gain more weight than if they drank sugary drinks because of artificial sweeteners contained in the diet sodas.

Basically what makes it diet is the worst part for you

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
Avoid both. Without sugar, soda just isn't good and they have to add a ridiculous amount of nasty corn syrup to make it sweet, which your body doesn't want.
Sucralose (splenda), acesulfame potassium, and Monsanto's neotame and aspartame are all very bad chemicals that will cause long term negative effects with repeated consumption. The only truly good artificial sweetener is Stevia, which has been screwed over by the FDA to benefit powerful corporations like Monsanto.

I completely replaced soda in my life with teas, all different kinds of them, and I sweeten things with stevia leaf. My cardiovascular system has since thanked me.

Grandeza

Smash Master
Well according to what I've read and heard, diet soda is much worse than normal soda. The artificial sweetener that is used forms 2 deadly neurotoxins. These neurotoxins actually increase your chance of getting brain tumors. The artificial sweeteners are used to boost sales for the company. Along with brain tumors many other brain conditions are likelier to arise such as alzheimer's. The NSDA has recommended that aspartame(the deadly toxins) not be used in sodas. With that said I recommend normal soda.

Mr.Lombardi34

Smash Ace
I have, like everybody else, heard that diet sodas have aspartame and other garbage in them in exchange for the sugar and caffeine in regular ones. They're both bad, but I'd say I'd rather have sugar and it's small negative effects than the problems caused by aspartame.

I drink soda about 4 times a week, so you could say I try to drink as little as possible. Sugar is not so bad in moderation, and if I'm only gonna have this stuff a few times a week, I'd rather go with the one that tastes better, which I would say is the regular soda.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
If you're willing to live with the consequences of drinking either type of coke, then just go with regular and deal with calories. You only live once. Have fun.

orintemple

Smash Lord
I used to drink ridiculous amounts of Soda when I was younger. Now I have taken up drinking a lot of water, but that's boring. So when I am feeling bored with my water I will have a soda. I hate diet, like most people, because I am apparently a dumb, ugly rapist, or maybe because it tastes like *** to me.

Although the best drinks are not soda anyway.

Chocolate Milk
Apple Juice
Mountain Dew

Yea the first soda isn't until number 3, take that!

Madvillain

Smash Rookie
What it comes down to is this: Splend (diet soda) can cause all sorts of glucosamine-defficient related diseases in kids under 18. The biggest one being Diabetes Type I.

In regular soda, aside from a mass amount of calories and sugar (that attribute to weight gain), is caffeine. Caffeine which can cause problems with the heart, can also cause problems with your Adrenal Gland. There was a study a few years ago that showed that people who frequently drank caffinated beverages, started to develope a drip from their Adrenal Gland. The idea behind the gland is that it be able to open and "flood" the body with adrenalin. In people that drink large amounts of caffeine their gland constantly drips, so when they are in a state of panic, the levee isn't full and they only receive a small dose of it.

In conclusion, the best thing to do is moderate your amount of soda you drink or don't drink it at all. Most people aren't aware, but a single apple packs more energy and natural sugars than a can of soda. Apples clean your teeth, disolve mucus in your throat and cost less than a can of Pepsi/Coke/etc.

:laugh:

omfgomfg

Smash Lord
Your eyes happened to drift to my location, I see.
Avoid both. Without sugar, soda just isn't good and they have to add a ridiculous amount of nasty corn syrup to make it sweet, which your body doesn't want.
Sucralose (splenda), acesulfame potassium, and Monsanto's neotame and aspartame are all very bad chemicals that will cause long term negative effects with repeated consumption. The only truly good artificial sweetener is Stevia, which has been screwed over by the FDA to benefit powerful corporations like Monsanto.

I completely replaced soda in my life with teas, all different kinds of them, and I sweeten things with stevia leaf. My cardiovascular system has since thanked me.
agave nectar

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Most fruit drinks contain as much, if not more grams of sugar than Coke does. Chocolate milk also may contain more grams of sugar than Coke. Really, if you're trying to lose weight, then you are going to have to look at water as the only alternative. The rest are as guilty as any of packing on the pounds. If you're here to drink Coke and not feel guilty about it, then stop drinking soda altogether. Its not gonna happen. =oP

Marie_54

Smash Ace
I've heard a doctor say that Sprite Zero has a chemical that causes leukemia or something like that... and they'd rather pay the people who get the disease than change the formula...

Anyways i can only drink diet soda... I have hypoglycemia, one of the things that caused it was drinking a lot of regular sodas when i was little... That **** has more sugar than a chocolate bar...:ohwell:

D13

Smash Ace
It's like asking what's healthier, getting stabbed in the kidney or stabbed in the spleen. One's healthier than the other, but they're both bad.
Exactly, that's what I was thinking.

Anyway, I'd take diet coke/pepsi over regular. But I try not to drink pop too often, I usually go for water or milk. Also strawberry milk. o_o

Aomi

Smash Rookie
i remember once seeing a consumer report on good morning america
saying something about how there really isn't much of a difference and these
'not real sugar' type things are just no help for what they intend to be, so basically drinking a diet soda
is as bad as just as drinking the regular soda even if its just 100 calories or 0 calories but what is it in the soda really making it 0 or less calories, i'm worried about that part of the situation

personally, i rather just drink the 'real' stuff than try and pretend that the diet ones are better.
but then again i dont drink soda (i can't anyway :lol: )

JFox

Smash Hero
I know that diet coke contains aspartame, which has been speculated to cause all sorts of bad things like developmental disabilities in kids, birth defects in pregnant women's children, and seizures is higher quantities. One guy who was a heavy aspartame user (aspartame is also found in most sugar-free things like jello or cheesecake, or any of that) has filed a lawsuit against the company NutriSweet that owns aspartame after having 12 seizures due to its effects.

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
I like both equally, but I have gotten more stuck on regular soda. Honestly, if you look at the facts, neither is probably healthier for you. Regular has all the sugar and calories that could make you fat, and diet has the artificial sweetener which could possibly give you cancer and other health issues. It also depends on how often you drink either one. Myself, I used to be a heavy soda drinker until the awesome invention of Vitamin Water, Snapple, etc. But still, it is about even on which could be healthier, just whatever fits a persons taste.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
Water beats all, it's the elixir of life, or at least that's what I tried to sell it on eBay as. Also who'd of thought you couldn't sell water from a primary school drink tap as water from the fountain of youth?

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
While Calories and sugar have minor affects if drank in moderation the chemicals are just plain bad someone here made a good point caffeine is bad but they make caffeine free without the chemicals that's the stuff.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
I remember when I was at a throwing camp for Track & Field that the former American record holder in the javelin told me that anything that is carbonated is not good for your body. I think that diet and normal are relatively the same in the long run, but it would be best to avoid them both in the long run.

Top Bottom