• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is DI different for different characters?

RebellionASG

Smash Cadet
Is DI always the same for all characters? Is it all weight dependent, or completely based off the character and not their weight, or possibly a combination of the two? I've never really seen or heard anything about this, and I know all about DI, just wasn't sure if it was the same for everyone.
PS: Me and a friend are in a disagreement over this, so we figured we'd throw it out to the Smash community for insight

Ryuker

Smash Lord
As far as I know except for Quarter circle DI DI doesn't change the distance you fly, just the send of angle and the starting point. So in that way it's the same for every character. However some characters are heavy and thus are best to DI to fly more vertical cause they might not hit the top cause of their weight. But I'm not sure about that cause I don't know for sure if the speed that they fly with is reduced by the weight or that the weight just affects the distance that you fly before you can move again.

Toomai

Smash Ace
Distance is dependant on speed. Weight changes horizontal speed and fallspeed changes vertical speed (I think). In that way it can seem like DI is different between Jigglypuff and Falco, simply because Falco's vertical DI has a harder time of competing with his fallspeed.

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'll try to clarify the DI thing. Since it's the hardest technique to master, I understand there are still topics about it.

First: you have to DI as soon as possible after you got hit by an attack, always. This is the moment you need to DI.

As far as I know except for Quarter circle DI DI doesn't change the distance you fly, just the send of angle and the starting point.
It does change the distance you fly. If you aim the stick to the stage (still when you just got hit by, let's say, a Fsmash), you decrease the distance you're flying.

By aiming upward at the same time, you fly higher, which, again, makes you comeback from bigger hits.

So in that way it's the same for every character. However some characters are heavy and thus are best to DI to fly more vertical cause they might not hit the top cause of their weight.
Agreed. Lightweight characters can die too easly upward, I recommend to not DI too much upward with them.

But I'm not sure about that cause I don't know for sure if the speed that they fly with is reduced by the weight or that the weight just affects the distance that you fly before you can move again.
the "distance you fly without you can't do anything" is called stun. Lightweight characters doesn't have as much stun as heavyweight ones, and lightweight characters fly farther than heavy ones.

In other words: If you choose a lightweight, it's hard to your opponent to combo you because you fly always too far to get combo'ed, plus your stun is shorter so you can escape without trouble. It's exactly the opposite for heavy characters.

Distance is dependant on speed.
Do you mean the % you have when you get hit? Yes, it's right.

Weight changes horizontal speed and fallspeed changes vertical speed (I think).
The only right thing is the fact weight changes the distance you fly

In that way it can seem like DI is different between Jigglypuff and Falco, simply because Falco's vertical DI has a harder time of competing with his fallspeed.
I think the difference of DI between them is the best example.

My own tips:

- If you get hit by an upsmash, don't DI upward. DI downward as well as left or right tomaximise your chances of surviving

- People who just learnt the DI technique always DI toward their annemi after a hit. Don't do that. It's preferable to DI AWAY from your ennemi after a hit if you're at low percentage. It minimizes the chances you have to get combo'ed, plus it's harder for your opponent to combo you.

hopes it helped

Ryuker

Smash Lord
It does change the distance you fly. If you aim the stick to the stage (still when you just got hit by, let's say, a Fsmash), you decrease the distance you're flying.
It does? I really doubt that. It gives you some DI upwards if you hold the stick to the stage cause no hit sends you straight forward but all send you a bit diagonal upwards. From my experience I notice it really only changes what direction you fly in. Because flying upwards into the top corners of the level gives you the most distance you can fly it makes you survive the longest. Unless you mean distance as in a horizontall distance ( cause that gets reduced of course) it doesn't change the lenght of the path you fly. Maybe we confuse each other on what is flying a distance.

Agreed. Lightweight characters can die too easly upward, I recommend to not DI too much upward with them.
They don't fall that fast so they will reach the top borders earlier then the heavier chars. If any char has reached the top border (passed the border line) they lose a stock though weight has nothing to do with that.

the "distance you fly without you can't do anything" is called stun. Lightweight characters doesn't have as much stun as heavyweight ones, and lightweight characters fly farther than heavy ones.
I think that's correct. They fly further cause they fly faster than heavyweight ones I think. I dunno is jiggly can jump out when flying earlier then ganon though I think its the other way around.

My own tips:

- If you get hit by an upsmash, don't DI upward. DI downward as well as left or right tomaximise your chances of surviving

- People who just learnt the DI technique always DI toward their annemi after a hit. Don't do that. It's preferable to DI AWAY from your ennemi after a hit if you're at low percentage. It minimizes the chances you have to get combo'ed, plus it's harder for your opponent to combo you.
I'd like to ad to that DI so that you will fly in a direction that your opponent will have difficulty following up. That does not just have to be away but somtimes a bit downwards or upwards aswell. If you know how they can follow up go in the direction that would give them the most trouble following up.

DALegendarySauce

Smash Journeyman
If you do it as you are getting hit its called smash DI as you are smashing this direction at the most influencable time of your flight.

if you smash DI a jab toward your opponent you can end up on the other side of him.
If you smash DI the first hit of fox's uair you can avoid the second, unless he has you dead center.

this isn't competing with anyone else's post in terms of facts, but this smash DI is a good thing to learn, and might help you to explore some related issues.

Some names for different types of DI.

Japanese DI = Really good DI, or sometimes confused with fireball DI.
"I hate fighting sauce. He's got that Japanese DI."

Fireball DI = where you are crouch canceling and you get hit you start by holding down then move to down-forward, and then to forward, similar to a fireball in street fighter.
(I think you keep going to up actually, idk)
"I shoulda won that match, he was at 215 and I charge shot him, but he effing fireball DI'd!!!"

European DI = Really bad DI, if you get hit straight left by a move, and you hold left as your DI
"My marth just did fthrow to fsmash to that peach, but she was late and kept doing european DI"

Austrailian DI = where you DI a hit while off the level, in such a way that you end up under the level.
"Awww good game man. You prolly woulda won if you didn't Austrailian DI"

African DI = Any DI that breaks your controller in some way.
"He was trying to get out of the combo so bad he african DI'ed."
(I have seen this)

Jab DI = When you smash DI a jab as mentioned above.
"he always does jab grab, so just jab DI and fsmash."

DI is like kung fu. Only through meditation can it be perfected.

psicicle

Smash Ace
I think that DI influences the floatier characters a lot more than fastfallers, because with my ice climbers, I can usually survive to fairly high percentages with sideways KOs, almost the same percents with my fox.

Of course, this is anecdotal.

Top Bottom