• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is College easier than High School?

Sensei

Smash Lord
Is it just me or is College easier than High School in terms of academics. For example, I have been getting straight A's so far going midway through this semester when back in high school I would get mostly C's and B's and the occasional A's. On top of that, I'm a major procrastinator so I do almost all my studying, projects, papers the day before class or sometimes just hours or minutes before class starts! And I end up acing everything I do, lol. Maybe its the fact that I attend school less hours per week compared to High School and also I have less classes so I have more time. Or maybe I'm just smarter and think more logically than I did in High School. Anyways, what are you thoughts?

The Mad Hatter

Smash Ace
HELL NO! Are you serious?
Is this your first year? My first year really was pretty easy. It also depends on your major. Last year I ended up taking Organic Chem, Cal, and University Physics at the same time. Was not the best idea, but I had to do it. One reason it could be easier for you is that you have a choice to what you are taking. You have multiple professors to pick from so you wont get stuck with a monotone. You get to pick the things your interested in, and have a sense of freedom that does not come with high school. All these reasons could contribute to your better grades.

Plus the girls are way hotter in college. (hence, the reason to go to class and find a "study buddy")

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
i find them to be the same difficulty.

college is just like highschool...except w/out the "middleman"...its all about the nerds that make the cut, and the jocks that make the cut. People in between are the ones that don't have any self motivation..and thats what causes college to be hard on them...no longer "detention" and momma gettin' mad at u for missing school. For once u actally have to do your ****.

But if your a nerd thats ok...and if ur a jock....well, u get by taking easy courses and end up majoring in "General Studies" (lawl).

OR it could just be that i live in southern Louisiana...and the whole college-thing is just to humor the few who aren't mentally ********.

The Mad Hatter

Smash Ace
But if your a nerd thats ok...and if ur a jock....well, u get by taking easy courses and end up majoring in "General Studies" (lawl).
Or you could major in Kinesiology. HA! What the hell can they do with that besides coach high school foot ball? I love watching NCAA games on tv and hearing all the players who major in those crappy fields. I dont know how many athletes Ive had to tutor in Gen. Chem.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Honestly, it depends on your major and how well you want to do.

I've got a couple friends who are business/accounting majors. Their classes they say are easier than in high school. They've scheduled their classes such that they have Fridays off. They don't get much work. They also are not aiming for perfect grades, just for very good grades, and they achieve that.

Me on the other hand, I'm a molecular and cell biology major. I'm a perfectionist. I'm taking more classes than they are, and harder classes than they are. I don't have nearly as much free time. But it pays off.

How hard it is depends on several things, most importantly: your aptitude for the subject/intelligence (unlike in high school, just putting in a lot of effort won't get you an A... you'll really have to work for it, and/or just be good at it), your major, and time management.

I love how you're not in class for nearly as long, it means there's a lot more free time. But there's much, much more work and it counts for a lot more. Tons of freedom is awesome though.

So college I don't think is really easier than high school, but it should be a natural progression from high school (ie 9th grade is harder than 6th but you manage because you progress).

Sensei

Smash Lord
lol study buddy, definitely a plus in college. wow madhatter, I can understand why college was so hard with those subjects, lol. Interesting input, and FYI, I go to my local community college in NJ and majoring in Business. I guess Business ain't too hard compared to other subjects, but it could also depend on your interests and what you like studying. Anyways, time to do some last minute studying before I go to sleep, lol.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
By the way I wasn't trying to rag on business majors in my last post, I'm just saying that some majors are harder than others. Also, business (or any other) majors can take hard classes too, and in all honesty I think business is one of the more useful majors.

Now, kinesiology or linguistics majors on the other hand...

pdk

Smash Lord
it's always easy when you're taking the dumb mandatory filler classes in the first year, just wait until you're taking calculus 2 or comp sci or whatever

The Mad Hatter

Smash Ace
I'm a molecular and cell biology major.
Nice. What are your plans?

FYI, I go to my local community college in NJ and majoring in Business. I guess Business ain't too hard compared to other subjects, but it could also depend on your interests and what you like studying.
Community colleges can be a great thing for people. Its a great way to earn extra grant money (by good grades, community service, etc.). You have smaller class size which makes student to teacher communication almost possible. If you do really good you can get great transfer scholarships.

My girlfriend is a Business major. She has a pretty rough schedule. Tons of money to be made in that field. Cha-Ching!

JFox

Smash Hero
Sensei, I said the same thing as you did freshmen year. I barely did any work, and never studied. Sophmore year came and hit me like a ton of bricks. I have never worked this hard. MUCH harder than high school. I actually spend roughly 12 hours a week on school work/studying, if not more.

pdk

Smash Lord
i'm also in a community college (CCAC), shame they seem to never be taken seriously

Justin

Smash Apprentice
Nothing could possibly be more easier than my highschool. Want to know what the daily routine was? The principal would have her daily speech to all the kids in the morning and then we'd go to a few classes that usually were nothing more than everyone talking to eachother and the teacher attempting to teach, but never had any control over us. Then we had lunch and "Physical Education" which was usually playing football out in the field in front of the school (we didn't have any official teams or a mascot). Well, that was P.E. to me...the druggies walked through the trees behind the school that led to a graveyard where they would smoke out. Anyway, then it was back to classes that ended with the principal's husband's class...and what that class consisted of was pretty much him making fun of all the fat kids (even though he wasn't...skinny), he'd let us watch t.v. or we would have a class discussion that usually ended up with him talking about hookers and sex. Then school ended and we'd usually hang around for a little while longer and every day atleast one person brought a playstation 2, Xbox or gamecube and we'd play video games.

That was my usual school day. And if any of you think I am joking...if you live near Dallas or Cedar Hill, Texas..ask people about Crossroads Academy.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I find college to be much harder than high school. I don't really like it at all. I've been considering switching to a smaller school or a community college or something. It could depend on your major. I'm a Computer Science major. Physics, calc, programming...it's hard. I was in Honors last semester but I dropped from IT Honors to regular IT because it was just too hard :urg:

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
From what I'm taking, it's at least thirty times easier.

In high school, I didn't take any hard classes-- but I was waaay too involved. Senior year for about 3 months, I was there at 7am and left at 7pm. Twelve hour days at school are no good, kids. Teachers tell you to get involved-- but it makes you suffer.

I go to a local college, because why the hell spend money moving away and all that jazz to get your generals done? No college cares where you get your generals, just as long as you get your Associates. Generals done local, then move once you're done with that.

So since I'm just taking generals, you can assume I'm having an amazingly easy experience. I'm only taking 14 credits this semester, but I've made it so that I don't have school on Fridays, and on Mondays and Wednesdays, I'm done by 10am.

Though you might not want to, I'd definately reccomend taking early morning classes. It gives you tons of time for the rest of the day. Also, the whole 'No school on Fridays is AMAZING. I'd reccomend that to anyone if they can work it out-- even if that means they have to take a 3 hour lecture class on thursday nights.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I don't know what school Cyphus went to, but we go to the same college and it's 10 times easier. I zone out and make it with a 3. something. I really lack motivation though.

Fantasia

BRoomer
BRoomer
Switch FC
SW-3476-8294-6601
By the way I wasn't trying to rag on business majors in my last post, I'm just saying that some majors are harder than others. Also, business (or any other) majors can take hard classes too, and in all honesty I think business is one of the more useful majors.

Now, kinesiology or linguistics majors on the other hand...
That's why I'm doing my linguistics studies after I get a job with a computer science degree.

I want to get a job in Graphics Design or Computer Tech.But,i feel that my income will be"Minimal".

I don't really know if I should go for a job I love,or a job that i hate,but with good income.

I'm preety much stuck between the gap.

Fantasia

BRoomer
BRoomer
Switch FC
SW-3476-8294-6601
Get a job you love. Good income is nice, but hating your job isn't, because you're going to spend a lot of time working, and you'll ultimately feel good about yourself if you enjoy doing what you do. Your stress level will probably be a lot less and you'll probably be happier in the long run.

EEvisu

Smash Lord
I dont think so at all, longer readings an more essays to write, its killer. In High School you could atleast always get alot more help an turn in things late w/o any real punishment lol, College is wway harder man.

Sky2042

Smash Apprentice
I dont think so at all, longer readings an more essays to write, its killer. In High School you could atleast always get alot more help an turn in things late w/o any real punishment lol, College is wway harder man.
Lol. No really. Lol.

For the person who who took Calculus 2: What is it? Just, the course after Calculus AB and C? Or?...

$PITE

Smash Journeyman
You people saying college is easier than high school must forget how f***ing easy high school was. The 30-60 minutes of homework per night in high school has become many hours per night for me, review is necessary as the professors don't review with you, labs add tons of work to your schedule too. Oh, and with the commute, I'm waking up 90 minutes earlier than in high school and getting home at the same time or an hour and a half later, depending on the day. Plus I had to move away from my high school friends.

I actually wish I had skipped/enjoyed myself more in high school, because I sure don't have that opportunity at UBC.

EDIT: Oh, and the old "fake sick because you didn't do your homework" excuse no longer works. That's the worst thing of all.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Lol. No really. Lol.

For the person who who took Calculus 2: What is it? Just, the course after Calculus AB and C? Or?...
It's essentially the second half of Calc BC (BC is supposed to be both Calc 1 and 2... AB is supposed to be Calc 1). Calc 2 covers more advanced techniques of integration, convergence/divergence, volumes of solids, taylor series polynomials, and a couple other things. I'm in calc 2 right now.

mark.

Smash Journeyman
imo phannas right, but what do i know. (its probably cause of the school)

ihigh school is too easy. im a sophomore and i take ap chem, phys, mathB, span6, and ap english. and i find time to do homework in school (library=lunch, whatnot.)

i dont do much schoolwork at home, but im anxious to go to college, i just want to experience that lectures and random classes on the campus thing. the better looks of college than a **** high school, and yeah, the better chicks :D

Sensei

Smash Lord
Sensei, I said the same thing as you did freshmen year. I barely did any work, and never studied. Sophmore year came and hit me like a ton of bricks. I have never worked this hard. MUCH harder than high school. I actually spend roughly 12 hours a week on school work/studying, if not more.
What are you studying?

Also, the food at my college is much better than at my high school, lol. Anybody else feel the same way?

And another thing, anybody here think they are the best Smash Player at their school? lol, I think I might be. One day I might host a tournament at my school and take all their money :embarrass

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I'm hoping to major in Law.

That's a blow off major, right?

Dibs

Smash Lord
I'm hoping to major in Law.

That's a blow off major, right?
Pretty much. You can also lie and say that you need to go into law just to get the approval of many. And after you're in for a while, tell them you didn't even really need to go into law.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Nice. What are your plans?
I'm set on med school... I'm probably going to end up in a clinical setting, but I also want to leave research as an option. Getting a PhD limits one to academia/research, but an MD can either practice in a clinical setting or do research, so there's some more flexibility.

And another thing, anybody here think they are the best Smash Player at their school? lol, I think I might be. One day I might host a tournament at my school and take all their money :embarrass
I would think I'm the best, but Lock also goes to my school... and let's just say I don't quite compare!

Law school is my backup. Got to have something if I dont get into Vet school.
Law and vet! Two pretty different paths.

Sky2042

Smash Apprentice
It's essentially the second half of Calc BC (BC is supposed to be both Calc 1 and 2... AB is supposed to be Calc 1). Calc 2 covers more advanced techniques of integration, convergence/divergence, volumes of solids, taylor series polynomials, and a couple other things. I'm in calc 2 right now.
Ah. I'll probably be taking C Calculus this summer though my local community college; atm I'm taking AB (AP lol) Calculus as a Jr. in High School.

McCloud

je suis l'agent du chaos.
"So foul and f-air a day I have not seen.&quo
English/Political Science double major ftw.

Also probably gonna get a minor in business.

After that, law school if any of my activities in college don't land me anywhere (music studio or acting studio. :p)

And high school is a joke. I'm in 5 ap classes and the only difficult one is calculus because nobody's breathing down my neck to do work.

So I don't do work. >>

Yeh, I'm lazy. Senioritis and whatnot. But next year, oh, how fun it will be. Should be starting with sophomore english my first year, probably calc 1 over again cause I doubt I'm getting credit for Calc BC, maybe a history course, and a bio course.

I got accepted to University of Georgia yesterday! wooooot

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I find college to be much harder than high school. I don't really like it at all. I've been considering switching to a smaller school or a community college or something. It could depend on your major. I'm a Computer Science major. Physics, calc, programming...it's hard. I was in Honors last semester but I dropped from IT Honors to regular IT because it was just too hard :urg:
Just a little update...I'm switching over to a local college for my Associates and then I'm transferring to a small nearby University to complete my Bachelors and maybe Masters. And the amazing thing: the University is just a few blocks away from my house! No housing or transportation problems, I can just waltz on over whenever I feel like it. It's going to be great. :chuckle: Oh and extremely low tuition FTW. A couple thousand dollars, that's it. :) I'm going to be starting as a Freshman again and probably transfer some credits over. I want a clean slate.

It turns out that a big University is just not for me. I thought I would like a bigger school considering that's all I know about. I grew up in Chicago and I didn't want to go to a smaller school because I'm not used to living that way. A smaller University will be better, that way I can actually get more communication with the teacher and maybe be a little more involved. Where I am now, it's just "Okay here's the material, we're going to present it to you and it's up to you to learn it all." :ohwell: I've become too accustomed to the way of teaching in high school, where there are only 20-30 students in a class, you have an identity and you speak with the teacher every day. Now it's huge 500-student lecture halls and the professor may never know who you are. I just need to be part of a smaller community. Not saying that a big University isn't for everyone, but just make sure you consider the little schools too when choosing where to go after high school.

I also think I just got caught up in the hype of going to a big University. I only paid attention to the big names like University of Minnesota and Purdue, while ignoring little old Metro State and Saint Paul College which are right next door. :) Since I'm the first in my family to go to college, I think I felt pressured to go to a big school that everybody knew about. I also had some school problems because I was to obsessed with not being viewed as a failure by my family. Both of my older brothers dropped out of high school and had...legal problems (aka several years in jail :mad:). I just wanted my parents to be happy for once. I put too much pressure on myself.

One more important thing to remember: when you're having trouble with anything or need to make an important decision, make sure you talk to your parents about it. Their information is always valuable and they just might have the answer to your problem. Always heed their advice, sometimes it may sound useless at the time but later on it turns out to be just what you need to turn your life around for the better.

ArticulacyFTW

Smash Cadet
From what I'm taking, it's at least thirty times easier.
Holy crap. This boggles my mind. I guess the gap between "good" schools and other schools is a lot bigger than I realized.

Easier than high school? THIRTY TIMES EASIER? Picking my nose isn't freaking thirty times easier than high school. Taking a piss isn't thirty times easier. I'm hard pressed to say that even just breathing is thirty times easier than high school. And your college is? That's pure insanity. College, for me, was at least 10 times more difficult than high school (and I was a philosophy/English double major, joke majors, right?). I didn't feel like high school prepared me for college in the slightest. And I took all of the most difficult classes that I could, was involved, etc.

I just remember writing my first paper in college and being sure that it was a top quality 'A' paper, and it came back with a 'C' on it. Then trying to take an honors math course--that was ridiculous. It was several hours of homework a night--work we had to figure out how to do on our own, because the professor only taught the material after we did the assignment. Which, of course, she didn't care about when she handed out the grades. I dropped that class as soon as I could. Actually got to take a physics class with a Nobel Laureate instead, which was sweet.

But yeah, I sucked at college any way. I'm taking time off now to get back on track, so maybe my perception was distorted. But yeah, definitely waaaay harder.

That's not to say that college isn't thirty times BETTER than high school though.

Sandy

Smash Champion
I'm just graduated from high school. And I'm thinking about going to a Tech School to major in Web Design or an A+/Windows Technician.

Sensei

Smash Lord
LOL, wow this thread is still alive? Yea, I finished my first semester like a while ago and I exceeded my own expectations. I got straight A's. However, I think my College does grading differently than my High school. For one thing, they grade based on A-Fs with no + or -. IDK if this is true for all my classes but for my Business Law class, he counted a grade of 85-100 an A. I got like a 90 in that class but that still kinda surprised me. I always thought it was in intervals of 10. To get an A would be 90-100. So yea, my first semester seemed pretty easy to me.

SandTiger, GL with your education. Web design sounds like a fun course.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
Well, I just finished my final exams and in 2 weeks I'll be hearing if I graduated or not(pretty big chance I have). If so, then I'll send in my application form for the Dutch Airforce and I'll be invited for all the testing and stuff.

I'm gonna have the coolest job in the world(jet pilot).

Mugquomp

Smash Ace
Well, my college is definitely a ton harder than high school was. And I didn't exactly go to the easiest high school ever. But I guess going to a small liberal arts school is a lot different than the community colleges and big universities y'all are talking about. Three of my four classes for the winter semester had under 20 people in them, and the other one was the largest class I've ever taken with about 40 people in it, but that was the second half of Gen Chem. (I go to school in Maine...we have fall and winter semesters, not fall and spring, and it finally made sense to me when it snowed eight inches on the last day of finals back at the end of April).

And I work a ton more at college than I did in high school. For my Spanish class last winter I read 3 novels, 2 plays, and 4 short stories (~30 pages each). That's about how much reading I would have done in an English class in high school.

I'm a Math/Spanish double major, junior next year, and I don't think college is very easy at all. Although, I will be spending half of next year studying abroad in Chile, and I'm pretty excited about that, because that will be a pretty easy semester academically.

Sir MoS

Smash Rookie
suppose the idea is college is harder but due to fact that your more than likely learning something to your intrest or something you understand easier would make it easier than high school where u would have to learn a little bit of everything

Top Bottom