• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Brawl the last of the series?

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Uhh, not hoping for a sequel just because you don't want to a buy a console that comes after the Wii...?

There will always be games on a Nintendo console that we (Nintendo fans) would want, SSB or not.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Is it going to be the last one of the seires? I kinda hope so because i don't want to have to buy another game system to just play andother one :mad: and now we could settle down, ;) but at the same time it might become boring and leave the gaming world. :(
Theres got to me more, they have to accomadate characters from great series stil to come.

It wont become boring and leave the gaming world anyway, people still play melee, and its been 6 years.

Tobi-

Smash Ace
Sakurai stated this was his last game he was making for the Super Smash Bros franchise.

There may be a sequel, but Sakurai won't be the director of it. And without Sakurai, It can either go better or worse. In my opinion, I think another new director will steer it towards failure. But who knows?

Pyr0

Smash Ace
Sakurai stated this was his last game he was making for the Super Smash Bros franchise.
He wasn't going to make Brawl either, but he is...

So I wouldn't take that as a 100% chance of him not coming back; He loves Smash way to much.

ShadeofDante

Smash Cadet
I think this won't be the last Smash game. Nintendo doesn't let franchises die too often. But it was already stated that this will be Sakurai's last role as director for the series. This could be good or bad, but I don't think we'll ever know which way the series will go until after Brawl has been out for several years, (hopefully this game will be just as good or better than Melee. Six years, and the game is still amazing? I hope Brawl can live up to that.) and Nintendo announces the next iteration of the franchise.

All I know is that I'll at least stick with the franchise either way.

Tobi-

Smash Ace
Yea, because the team literally begged for him back. I don't think the same trick will work twice. That is why Sakurai left HAL Laboratory. He was sick of sequels.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
I think that after Brawl, Smash Brothers might become milk. Its hard to make incredibly big changes to the sides of good everytime, ya know?

Puffs

Smash Ace
Nintendo's not gonna drop the franchise that easily. If Sakurai isn't working on it, someone else will. I'm looking foward to SSB4 to see who gets it and how they handle it.

Y34HDUD3!!!

Smash Lord

There may be a sequel, but Sakurai won't be the director of it. And without Sakurai, It can either go better or worse. In my opinion, I think another new director will steer it towards failure. But who knows?
I agree with this guy. But Nintendo won't put just a random guy to direct a sequel to one of it's most important franchises. They'll hire someone good.

nashdar13

Smash Cadet
I live in Springfield, MO, with no smashing buddie
Yeah, the fact that alot of poeple would love to be directing such a successful and great franchise would sprak and keep spraking mroe games if poeple still want another sequel after sequel. If they made another sequel and it was on the Wii like Brawl i would be all for it but i hate buying consoles after consoles

gigasteve

Smash Ace
Do you hear yourself? It will NEVER become boring. But, seeing how long it took to start another, the HUGE production team, and the hard work and dedication make me have some doubts, especially when there are more Mario Party's to be made (WHY is it more important to Nintendo???? WHHHHYYYYYY?).

Canvas

Smash Cadet
Just because of the massive amount of effort and time it takes to create a game of Brawl's calibur, I really can't see Sakurai returning to work on the next one. In fact, I can see Nintendo carrying out their original plan for Brawl on the next title (very minor additions, then relying on the franchise name to move copies). I can really only see it going downhill after Brawl.

But really, I don't think it will matter. Brawl will be like Melee; an amazing competitive and metagame. Also, given that all signs point to the Wii living longer than the standard five years consoles have been following, I doubt we'll get the next Smash in six years anyhow. It will be much longer.

The Director

Smash Lord
There's no way Brawl is the last Smash game. Is it Sakurai's last Smash? Maybe. I think it'll be another 8-10 years before another tho, but there's no doubt in my mind that Nintendo will make a Smash game for every system they make...

omiz144

Smash Apprentice
I'm not quite sure what to make of this particular issue.

I'm certainly hoping for more, but right now, I just want Brawl :)

lookatthatbaconsizzle

Smash Journeyman
Since Sakurai is leaving, I say Miyamoto take this one over. He makes everything better. Also, There's still a lot of things they might be able to improve. Plus I want to see the next gen graphics of "Super Smash Bros Knockout"!

HarryTheChin

Smash Ace
Super Smash Bros. Clash?

Anyone?

Yeah, there will be another one, but most likely not with Sakurai :ohwell:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

He never ever said that from what I can remember. That sounds like a lie to me. If not, post a link.

And if Sakurai stops making it, Miyamoto will. In fact, it doesn't make a diffrence between the two for me. Miyamoto would just return everyone (yae for Ness), and bring just a few new fighters, though. Nothing brand crazy new, except diffrent and new story.

This probably won't be the last smash for Sakurai. He's making major f***ing money from Brawl, and everyone likes money. Sakurai won't make a game a fifth as big as Brawl after he makes it if he never makes a smash game again. He'd be lucky to make a character half as big as Kirby, and he wouldn't be making very many big games anymore. After he made his last Kirby game, all he made were lesser known games at Sora. He'd just continue that, except he'd probably do only a bit better.

Sakurai is only like 35 or so, so another smash in the near, far, or VERY FAR future isn't crazy. At all. He might not make one for another 10-20 years, but eventually he probably will make one, indefinitely.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
I'm kind of hoping for downloadable content on Wii Ware. If that happens, then every few months we could get a couple of new characters or stages, and no sequel would be necessary.

lookatthatbaconsizzle

Smash Journeyman
He never ever said that from what I can remember. That sounds like a lie to me. If not, post a link.

And if Sakurai stops making it, Miyamoto will. In fact, it doesn't make a diffrence between the two for me. Miyamoto would just return everyone (yae for Ness), and bring just a few new fighters, though. Nothing brand crazy new, except diffrent and new story.

This probably won't be the last smash for Sakurai. He's making major f***ing money from Brawl, and everyone likes money. Sakurai won't make a game a fifth as big as Brawl after he makes it if he never makes a smash game again. He'd be lucky to make a character half as big as Kirby, and he wouldn't be making very many big games anymore. After he made his last Kirby game, all he made were lesser known games at Sora. He'd just continue that, except he'd probably do only a bit better.

Sakurai is only like 35 or so, so another smash in the near, far, or VERY FAR future isn't crazy. At all. He might not make one for another 10-20 years, but eventually he probably will make one, indefinitely.
Yeah he said that. I don't think he came right out and said "There will be no more smash bros games" though. and he still may be working on one in the future.

Tobi-

Smash Ace

I believe it was an article/interview posted, but I will get the link later. It was quite some time ago when the Dojo was almost just released to the public.

Also, You have no idea what Miyamoto will do. And if he does continue it, it won't be for another five or six years. Sakurai's age has nothing to do with him being a director.

Sakurai knows it's making money. Also, again, there is a reason he left HAL Laboratory. People, like you, with that general attitude of money money money, give me sequels and what not, caused him to leave. Sakurai isn't the type of man who likes sequel after sequel. Oh yea, Look at Mario Party. Guess how many sequels it has? Eight. Are all eight good? No. Take a look at the ratings. The first 3 were successful, then 4-8 just got repetitive. Do you want Brawl to be the same way? After all, it's all for the cash, not the game at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masahiro_Sakurai

"It was tough for me to see that every time I made a new game, people automatically assumed that a sequel was coming," said Masahiro Sakurai on August 26, 2003, in an interview with Nintendo Dream, two weeks after his resignation from HAL Laboratory. "Even if it's a sequel, lots of people have to give their all to make a game, but some people think the sequel process happens naturally."

Edit: Aha. He didn't directly say it, but it's implied.

After Melee, Sakurai thought he was done with the Smash Brothers series, until at E3 2005 Nintendo asked him to work on a 3rd installment. He wasn't sure he was even going to do it at first, until he realized that if he didn't direct the game, it would be handed off to someone else, and Sakurai didn't want to see the community let down. That is why he is currently working on Brawl.

But what about after that? Will there be anymore Smash Brothers games? He has already said that he is sick of people assuming that there will always be sequels to certain games. But he has also acknowledged how important Smash Brothers games are to the fans.

http://blogs.ign.com/Blogs/Comments.aspx?blog=WindWaker99&entryid=47663

Basically, Very unlikely.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
He wasn't going to make Brawl either, but he is...

So I wouldn't take that as a 100% chance of him not coming back; He loves Smash way to much.
Of course, he left HAL Labs just so he wouldn't have to continue making sequels. It's likely he won't participate if there is another Smash Bros game.

I agree with this guy. But Nintendo won't put just a random guy to direct a sequel to one of it's most important franchises. They'll hire someone good.
I agree, it's a huge franchise already, and they wouldn't put some nobody in charge of it. Miyamoto will probably be out as well, seeing as he is getting pretty old. I am sure they would find someone though.

I'm kind of hoping for downloadable content on Wii Ware. If that happens, then every few months we could get a couple of new characters or stages, and no sequel would be necessary.
This would be an excellent way to tide people over at least. I doubt it would continue forever, for example, Nintendo's next console? I can honestly see small expansions of characters, items, and even stages regardless of the stage builder, although they would cost X Wii points each and their would not be all that many of them.

matthewdw94*

Smash Apprentice

or hardcore anti friend code oober aewsomeness!!!

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
why would you hope that? i mean, even if a 4th smash releases you arent forced to buy it, i myself dont want it to be the last one...

KingKraken

Smash Journeyman
Not wanting a sequel so you don't have to buy another console...

ANYWAYS. Part of me doesn't want it to be the last game but part of me does. Its a fantastic series and timeless, but how much more can Sakurai dish out!?!?

Tobi-

Smash Ace
I don't want it to be the last of the series either, but it's difficult to continue a 4th without getting repetitive mediocre, and changing the game much. It needs that perfect balance to make the 4th game a success. I'd rather have this be the last game then someone make a 4th and ruin it's name.

Just look at what happened to Megaman X and Mario Party 8. Eight sequels? Really now. Even Sakurai stated he doesn't want to let the Smash community down by having someone else produce, thinking he is only fit for the job. Saying that, I believe Miya would respect Sakurai enough not to make a 4th sequel.

Summary - We all want a 4th sequel, but none of us also want a disgrace of Smash Bros name by having a 4th mediocre game. Some series just need to be left alone to be classics, and not brought alive again to be ruined. Bringing classics alive again to be a success 5 or 6 years later is Very difficult.

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
Summary - We all want a 4th sequel, but none of us also want a disgrace of Smash Bros name by having a 4th mediocre game. Some series just need to be left alone to be classics, and not brought alive again to be ruined. Bringing classics alive again to be a success 5 or 6 years later is Very difficult.
On a side note, I wouldn't mind if they brought Kid Icarus back though, as a result of Pit's inclusion in Brawl.

Tobi-

Smash Ace
On a side note, I wouldn't mind if they brought Kid Icarus back though, as a result of Pit's inclusion in Brawl.
Actually, I believe Melee encouraged many games on the Gamecube to be released, such as Roy being in Radiant Mythology, F-Zero X, Metroid and what not. They saw how popular and great their mascot characters looked in melee, done right, and decided they could possibly continue their series.

But as for Pit, I'm not sure. Ice Climbers was from the classic NES, but they haven't recreated their game yet.

Chepe

Smash Lord
The last being directed by Sakurai, yes. And I cant see it getting that much better without him honestly. I mean, even people at Nintendo were rooting for Sakurai to make Brawl because apparently "creating a Smash Bros without soul would be a waste of time"...

knuckles_18

Smash Cadet
i could most defiantly be the last of the series but part of me wants that and part of me don't if brawl is really freaken amazing then i dont need another one if theres some things like a cool mode or good characters missing i might hope for another one to include those things ( lets hope brawls amazing)

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I believe it was an article/interview posted, but I will get the link later. It was quite some time ago when the Dojo was almost just released to the public.

Also, You have no idea what Miyamoto will do. And if he does continue it, it won't be for another five or six years. Sakurai's age has nothing to do with him being a director.

Sakurai knows it's making money. Also, again, there is a reason he left HAL Laboratory. People, like you, with that general attitude of money money money, give me sequels and what not, caused him to leave. Sakurai isn't the type of man who likes sequel after sequel. Oh yea, Look at Mario Party. Guess how many sequels it has? Eight. Are all eight good? No. Take a look at the ratings. The first 3 were successful, then 4-8 just got repetitive. Do you want Brawl to be the same way? After all, it's all for the cash, not the game at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masahiro_Sakurai

"It was tough for me to see that every time I made a new game, people automatically assumed that a sequel was coming," said Masahiro Sakurai on August 26, 2003, in an interview with Nintendo Dream, two weeks after his resignation from HAL Laboratory. "Even if it's a sequel, lots of people have to give their all to make a game, but some people think the sequel process happens naturally."

Edit: Aha. He didn't directly say it, but it's implied.

After Melee, Sakurai thought he was done with the Smash Brothers series, until at E3 2005 Nintendo asked him to work on a 3rd installment. He wasn't sure he was even going to do it at first, until he realized that if he didn't direct the game, it would be handed off to someone else, and Sakurai didn't want to see the community let down. That is why he is currently working on Brawl.

But what about after that? Will there be anymore Smash Brothers games? He has already said that he is sick of people assuming that there will always be sequels to certain games. But he has also acknowledged how important Smash Brothers games are to the fans.

http://blogs.ign.com/Blogs/Comments.aspx?blog=WindWaker99&entryid=47663

Basically, Very unlikely.
He says the exact same game, but better basically. He thinks total sequals are stupid, and LOOK AT SMASH! We go from crazy DI cartoony action to reasonable (and somewat) crazy realistic DI, to F**ING OFF THE WALL BASICALLY FLYING DI, and a fat combination of realism and cartoony-feels. In other words, we've gone from like Street Fighter, to Tekken, to Soul Calibur. Brawl is wayyyy diffrent from Melee.

In other words, Sakurai didn't want to make Melee 2.0 with Kirby or smash, he wanted to make a truely original game. And that is what Brawl and smash ARE-truely original. Plus, Sakurai likes the idea of a smash bros. game on the DS.

Superninjabreadman is right.Who cares if Sakurai makes it=??? I'd honestly would NOT care if Sakurai or Miyamoto made it, as they both make legendary games.

Smash Bros. will die when Nintendo lets Zelda and Mario die, or when Nintendo dies. So smash shall continue, regardless of Sakurai returning or not.

Sakurai is just basically what keeps the series away from being the same thing over and over and over again. Each smash game is original, PERIOD! If Sakurai makes a 4th game, it shall follow through with this. Elements of old, the old basics, but COMPLETELY NEW PYHSICS, gameplay, graphics, characters, stages, story, and so on! That's how Sakurai rolls-always make something completely brand spakin' new. Or at least, that is how he rolls now.

Jimtopia

Smash Apprentice
I just hope it doesn't become the next "Mario Party," if you know what I mean.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
No, they will make a portable Smash Bros Game, then the series is probably going to be gone =\

I'm not actually sure of that. Nintendo Rarely lets a Money Making Series Die, Brawl will not be that Last. My bet is that they will release at least one more Game, and it will be portable, probably not for the DS, but portable...

Tobi-

Smash Ace
Yes, That is how Sakurai makes new games. But who says he's continuing the series?

Yea you're right. Smash bros can continue until Mario or Zelda dies, But if Sakurai isn't behind it, It will just be another mediocre soulless game. Did you even read my quotes? Sakurai stated he wanted to work on Brawl because he didn't want to disappoint the smash community by having someone else produce it, which may make it fail. Again, that is why Sakurai continued and made this sequel for the 2nd time.

Also, New Physics engine, game play, graphics, characters, stages, story, and "so on", Don't mean jack squat in a game. Let's take a look at Sonic the Hedgehog for Xbox 360/PS3. It fit into all of those categories, yet it made a mockery of the sonic franchise and received at 4.2 rating. Only very hardcore fans of the series enjoyed it, simply because the name sonic was in it.

The same can be said for Smash Bros when someone else takes over. It sounds to be like you are just so obsessed with it you don't care who makes it, or how it turns out, but as long as it has "Smash Bros" attached to it, it's automatically a good game.

Yes, Each Smash game is original because they're were only 2.
Smash Bros 64 was just experimental, and it came out to be a major success.
Smash Bros. Melee took it a step farther, and perfected 64.
Smash Bros. Brawl is made because Miya begged for Sakurai to come in. Honestly, Sakurai wasn't even thinking of creating brawl.

You may not care who makes it, but others do. Brawl isn't really original. It still follows the originals concept, and style. Sequels can only be original in story-line, unless they decided to completely change the way you fought, which they didn't. Upgrading doesn't equal a completely original game.

nashdar13

Smash Cadet
I live in Springfield, MO, with no smashing buddie
I am going with Tobi on this one, ( yes i read every post)...

SSB 64 wasn't as a risky game when it was made, it for fun ( thats how i like to call it) and to see how it would impress the people. It turned out poeple liked it so SSBM came out with everything amped up way past the oringinal with + everything that struck and made it a success. But if someone doesn't want to make a game like Sakurai wanting to stop with SSBM, it isn't going to be as much as a amped up game and improvment from the previous game of the franchise. The graphics are better but ggraphics can only do so much to a game. And no one likes to see another game of a franchise that turns out looking the same so if there is another sequel after Vrawl it is going to be MANY MANY MANY years from now. (around 12)

If you start making to much of a game that doesn't have a continueing story line then it will get very old and boring eventually and I don't care how much you say it won't. Like FF, i have never played it but it si a big success because it has a sotry line that people are axious to play because they want to see what happens next.

Brawl will be popular but a sequel in my opinion will never be as popluar as Brawl might be or as much as melee was.

Top Bottom