• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Brawl the last of the series?

Linkster47

Smash Apprentice
I basically agree with Tobi, but at first I didn't because I was looking at it differantly.

1. Smash64 was experimental and was just a little fighting game with well-known characters that was a sucess.

2. Melee had tons of new modes added, just tons. Along with new items, stages, and moves/characters. It also really perfected the originals flaws as a whole.

3. Brawl doesn't have to many new features compared to Melee. Some of them seem a little fluff as well, but it is looking very good none the less, and there might not be much to add on.

This is where the list stops being good. After this, Nintendo will just keep adding fluff to the game and it will be the same thing with a few new features.

As far as I can tell, one of two games are created with sequals.

1.Games like Mario Party, with the same thing over and over.
2. Games like Zelda/Mario, with new storyline, controls, and items. They're always differant in many ways from their prequals but still have the same feel.

Smash will probablly go in direction one once Sakurai leaves, and than it won't be as respected or as fun as it could be. Plus, game genres like Smash don't have the most important story line feature that game2 has. Smash will just get too repetitive if it goes on and it will, like I said earlier, stop being fun. The only way I can see its current style of sequels working is if they add a rediculous amount of features to SSB4, and I doubt many people would play a game like that either.

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
Trust me, there will be a handheld Smash. Kind of like a Melee 2.0.

It will be Melee but the clones will have unique movesets. No Doc, no Pichu. A few 3rd parties will be in. All the stages from melee plus a few from Brawl. Wi-fi. I will be in the launch window for the DS2.

Cinatas

Smash Cadet
NNID
cinatas
Even if it is the last one.... if its anything like melee it will probably last me 2-3 years... maybe more

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Do note people, that directing a game isn't the only way to be involved.

Sakurai could easily be involved in SSB4 without being the director. He could be executive producer, or have more of an advisory role. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that was exactly what happened.

orintemple

Smash Lord
Sakurai isn't an old guy so there is no reason he would give up HIS franchise. When people who know what they are talking about think Smash Bros. they think of Sakurai. It is his claim to fame now. Yea he has Kirby but when was the last good Kirby game released? I don't think he could give up, what is basically his life, that easily. Even when he retires he will probably still put his input into Smash.

shinnok-fan64

Smash Apprentice
I guess i'd rather SSBB be the last one and it be super awesome, rather than having some more and they're very dissappointing.

graves

Smash Journeyman
Well.......... I really hope it isn't the last one I'm a HUGE fan of Melee!! but i don't think nintindo will stop after it's become such a big hit It's the greatest game ever!

Mr. Game and Pichu

Smash Journeyman
I think there will be another smash, but it will have new series (eg: pikmin =new series =in brawl most likely), more 3rd parties (banjo-kazooie's chances are higher) and maybe some characters from old series will make more appearences, hencing them making it in brawl (midna appears in next 3 zelda games).

volbound1700

Smash Master
Smash Brothers is too big of a money maker... it is like making Galaxy the last Mario game... it just doesn't make sense.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Not to mention that Smash Brothers Brawl will likely leave out characters or series that people will want in the 4th and will clamour for fourth to have that. After Melee, people cried for characters like Sonic, Wario, Diddy Kong, Ridley, etc.

I have a feeling brawl will not have everything and new series continue to be created that will call for different chances and characters.

Tobi-

Smash Ace
Not to mention that Smash Brothers Brawl will likely leave out characters or series that people will want in the 4th and will clamour for fourth to have that. After Melee, people cried for characters like Sonic, Wario, Diddy Kong, Ridley, etc.

I have a feeling brawl will not have everything and new series continue to be created that will call for different chances and characters.
If that is so, they would have to increase their roaster. And if that continues, it will only lead to broken/clones/balance issues. You can't have over 60 characters and have them all balanced yet remaining unique moveset.

Also, If they decided to officially "add on" to what fans crater for, then that would mean some characters would not be returning. Why? Because of the 60+ characters issue.

It's somewhat like exchange. You get a new character, and an old one leaves. Many fans probably don't want that. Just like many are claiming ness and pichu, marth and roy, aren't returning.

Kooichi

Smash Journeyman
I believe that Brawl is indeed the last one. Iwata said himself that he wouldn't make anyone else create a new Smash Bros but Sakurai. And I remember hearing somewhere that Sakurai will retire after this one.

But even if that is the case, I wouldn't want it either other way. Brawl is shaping up to be a perfect game in my eyes. Sakurai is putting all he can into this game and he's doing an amazing job. I never knew Brawl would be THIS awesome. I'm still playing Melee up until this day(even Smash Bros 64 occassionally!). Imagine how long Brawl will last.

On other note, I get the feeling that Nintendo will continue Smash Bros in a different way. They will learn something from Subspace Emmisary, if you know what I mean ;]

adaptor17

Smash Journeyman
boy, i dont know about this one. this game,so fair imo, is going to be the best game of all time. but if sakurai is retiring as rumored, than i believe that theres is a more than likely chance that if there is another one, that its going to suck.but ya never know i suppose.

General Diddy

Smash Apprentice
Theres got to me more, they have to accomadate characters from great series stil to come.

It wont become boring and leave the gaming world anyway, people still play melee, and its been 6 years.
Yea, and Brawl has good single player and a STAGE CREATOR. Not to mention online play. Brawl could last a decade without you getting bored.

orintemple

Smash Lord
If there isn't another Smash after this and Brawl is as huge as it is shaping up to be they could always just recreate Brawl with graphical updates for new consoles. There have been other games remade like this. I can still see a handheld Smash being made though.

Got Blood?

Smash Lord
I'm going to get flamed for this, but as long as the wii is alive and brawl is on it, give it DLC.New chracters and stages every so often.

brawl1994

Smash Journeyman
you never know, sakuari didnt know he was directing brawl until it was announced at E3, he was in the audience and they said "directed by sakuari".

Top Bottom