• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

is Brawl easier than Melee?

MFZ95

Smash Journeyman
I am just concerned,the reason why i didn't like Melee so much because it was so hard.Seriously i didn't even unlock all the stages! i unlocked the characters though.....But Games are all about challenging but i'm concerned that i won't be able to unlock stages or even characters in Brawl,please answer this.....Is Brawl easier than Melee?like it has friendly challenges,cuz **** DO I HATE EVENT MATCHES THAT require you to kill alot of character with you having one life, and seriously.....get 1300 mt. on homerun with Yoshi?Melee was really hard but i want to unlock everything in Brawl,good thing this game has difficulty options in Event match and you can die on a Target test(never falling off platforms)but is Brawl easier than Melee?

Revak

Smash Apprentice
Not trying to be rude (really) but I don't think games are your cup of tea if you know what I mean. Melee was never and still isn't hard.

Burninator

Smash Journeyman
Not trying to be rude (really) but I don't think games are your cup of tea if you know what I mean. Melee was never and still isn't hard.
Actually, I've heard a lot of similar complaints from the extreme casual side of the fanbase, though I've never really understood how they can be so interested in a game that they join forums about it, but still suck that badly.

Good news for you, topic poster. Events come with an Easy mode now. No more "Pikachu and Pichu" events to make you smash your controller into the nearest person's forehead.

I'm sorry I can't help any further. You'll have to find someone that's actually playing to get that kind of opinion.

MFZ95

Smash Journeyman
Well you guys are talented smashers.......I am not that good in the game but i love it......but I hate losing -____-

NDUDE

Smash Ace
I haven't played Brawl, nor do I know everything about it, but I can say this: games in general have been getting easier and easier. Compare Super Mario 64 to Super Mario Galaxy. Galaxy was WAY easier than 64. Twilight Princess also wasn't too big of a challenge. Mario Kart Wii is supposed to be easier for newbies to race against veterans. Truth is, Nintendo games are getting easier to appeal to more people. Relax.

chansen

Smash Lord
erm...brawl is practically ssb. all the fun stuff that was left into melee because people were supposed to not notice it got removed. Now its like the better, more similar sequel to ssb. Just with all the melee story and trophy bs added.

/1300 yards as yoshi should be childs play. gg.

MFZ95

Smash Journeyman
erm...brawl is practically ssb. all the fun stuff that was left into melee because people were supposed to not notice it got removed. Now its like the better, more similar sequel to ssb. Just with all the melee story and trophy bs added.

/1300 yards as yoshi should be childs play. gg.
ah! Well i finished SSB 100% got all characters,stages.....does that mean that Brawl will be the same then i will get the stages!and characters,hope we battle on wi fi one day

Burninator

Smash Journeyman
ah! Well i finished SSB 100% got all characters,stages.....does that mean that Brawl will be the same then i will get the stages!and characters,hope we battle on wi fi one day
Not necessarily. Look up the unlocking methods for things in Brawl. There was barely anything to unlock in Super smash Bros. Four characters that didn't take much time or effort and a single stage.

Brawl has a TON of content, spread between characters, stages, stage builder parts, music, assist trophies, etc. It could take ages to collect everything you care about. I've heard reports that say it's easier than Melee, but it will take longer to do.

TaikaAli

Smash Apprentice
Why are people saying that TP wasn't that hard? I mean its not a freakin suprise.
Zeldas were never hard. Well allright zelda 1 and Zelda 2 Adventure of link were.
But after that they werent hard. I dont think anyone died in OOT or WW or TP. Okey i admit i died in TP because i accidentally changed my Master Sword back to Original crappy sword when i was going throught Caves of Ordeal. But nevertheless when people say that TP was easier than any other Zelda what the hell seriously.

Shuma

Smash Hero
Melee is hard? no offence man, but you just suck, i'm a casual player and i've never found Melee to be hard. But yes, to answer your question it seems brawl is more easy.

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
You have to lose sometimes to learn anything! That way you'll know what not to do, and why.

Getting 1300 ft in the Homerun Contest is really easy once you know what to do, and there a lot of strategies for that. Here's one with Ganon:
1. Turn left, grab the bat and run next to the bag.
2. Do a slightly-charged upsmash. The bag should take over 40% damage and go straight up; otherwise you weren't in the right place and should restart.
3. Jump, aerial down-A. You only need to be touching the bag for his stomp to connect, it's nuts.
4. Do another slightly-charged upsmash. Make sure both hits connect.
5. Wait about two seconds, then double jump aerial down-A.
6. Take a step back and do a forward smash with the bat.

So, that's charged usmash, d-air, charged usmash, d-air, home run.
I don't have my game in front of me, but either the bat smash or his neutral B should easily break 1300 since the bag will be over 120% at that point.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Melee took TIME to complete (all characters, stages, trophies, etc) but it was not hard at all. I mean, clearing all star mode on very hard without a continue can be very difficult (depending on character selection and luck of the draw on character order and stages).

Brawl will probably be generally easy to "complete" than Melee, as in unlocking everything. It will probably take more time though, in the areas of trophies and stickers. Stages, characters, and things like that seem pretty easy.

Smash legacy

Smash Apprentice
Ok beat the sse, beat classic with a few people and you have now Im almost positive collected every character and you can choose difficulty in the sse. The only thing hard or time consuming im sure will be collecting all the music,stickers, etc. you know. Some of it is most likely based on luck.

IceEmblem

Smash Journeyman
Constantly inside a R.O.B Halloween Costume
Well if you think SSBM is hard, i really dont think of you as a gamer, to me it was easy.
Maybe when Brawl comes out you should practice combos and such alot.
I despise people who just buy SSBM and dont even use practice mode, its a great mode and if you ask any smasher, he will say thats were he learnt all his good combos.

MFZ95

Smash Journeyman
thanks for the advice,but in order to get Yoshi's Island 64,you have to use Yoshi.I know how to make a 1000 ft homerun with Fox,just tap B until Sandbags damage meter reaches 80 and give him a homerun!

MFZ95

Smash Journeyman
Guys i know i suck but im like 12 years old! my friend who is a year younger owns me anyway,even though i was the one who introduced him to the game.

MFZ95

Smash Journeyman
Melee is hard? no offence man, but you just suck, i'm a casual player and i've never found Melee to be hard. But yes, to answer your question it seems brawl is more easy.
Melee wasn't hard,it was well......BLAME EVENT 50! Master Hand and Crazy Hand are really hard.Either way the game itself is easy but i hate losing in Target tests,Ko'owned in event matches and the freaking sandbag falling off the platform in Home run contest!I unlocked all the characters but no all the stages because some stages need me to finish hard events and target test and worst of all Homerun contest.Either way Brawl looks awesome and i'm gonna unlock alot!thanks for the advice fellas!

SpeedKitsune

Smash Cadet
Hahaha... I remember when I was told I could unlock Sonic and Tails by beating 20 cruel melee fighters. It took me forever to do it and then I was like... WTF!!!

Mama

Smash Ace
Hahaha... I remember when I was told I could unlock Sonic and Tails by beating 20 cruel melee fighters. It took me forever to do it and then I was like... WTF!!!
Lol oh the memories. I was in middle school and there was one kid who swore up and down that he had them...It was sooo darn hard at first then I improved (and decided young Link would do the best) and did it over and over to no avail T_T

Don't kid yourself. Melee could be hard at times. And apparently there are 6 or so challenges in Brawl that just seem unbeatable according to another thread.

I don't have Brawl and I'm a hardened gamer (not trying to be condescending at all) so I wouldn't know if the game would be hard for you. (OP)

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
I didn't think Melee was that hard... and normally I abandon games by the time they get hard (difficulty spikes and whatnot). There were only about 5 events that I never cleared... I should try them again before I get Brawl. (In honesty it's been forever since I played Melee for serious, I'm probably rusty as heck ~_~)

But I unlocked all the characters/stages pretty quickly IIRC. I just have a few trophies I never got, and stuff. I was proud of myself, for once.

I'm actually hoping Brawl will be more challenging, since if it makes me angry I'll just keep playing over and over forever trying to clear it! With all those nicely-rendered new characters. <3 (Also, with Wifi, I'll now have a reason to get better!)

MFZ95

Smash Journeyman
The game isent hard,the actual gameplay is easy but home run contests and event matches!i finished Target tests with the starter rosters though.....

Aeriath

Smash Cadet
I was just thinking to myself today while playing that Brawl is a lot easier to get everything in than melee was. I almost have all of the unlockables (I'm still missing the one's that require me to beat thing's with everyone), and I found with a little practice they weren't too hard to get. The same thing with the characters, if you play subspace you can get everyone. The new stages are fairly easy to get also. I am still hoping there's some crazy secret locked away like a Doctor Mario costume or something that's really hard to get.

chansen

Smash Lord
thread shoulda ended right there...

this guys point is that sakurai made brawl easier by making it less technical. and that melee had some glitches that were severely abused *cough wavedash cough*...

-sonny-

Smash Journeyman
The game isent hard,the actual gameplay is easy but home run contests and event matches!i finished Target tests with the starter rosters though.....
For the Home-Run Contest
(Using Yoshi)

1. Jump
2. Use down+A air attack
3. Repeat
4. Continue to repeat until time is pretty much out
5. Grab bat and smash

You should make it easily, and that strategy is REALLY easy to do.

For Event 50

1. Use Yoshi
2. Spam down+A air attack

(I normally get Master Hand first and then take out Crazy Hand, but you can do it either way)

For Event 51

1. Use Jigglypuff
2. First take out Gigabowser by using her sleep attack, you have to jump around and dodge so that you don't get killed.
3. After Gigabowser is dead, you can either just try to win the fight normally, or (with some skill) time your sleeps to kill either Mewtwo or Ganondorf.
4. After one of the two is dead, the rest is easy.

If you have trouble even killing just one, practice against some level 9 computers in VS Mode before you try again.

Good luck!

PS - If this didn't really help, you could also try some strategies from www.gamefaqs.com

Project Occasus

Smash Cadet
If you're not doing to good at melee, the trick is to keep on trying. I have many memories of me re-playing anything that was giving me trouble until I beat, in a lot of games. It doesn't happen as often now. Generally you'll end up learning strategies for yourself. sonny's got good strategies, if you wanna try them. I never thought about using yoshi's Dair for event 50, but what I did was use ganondorf, because his power is very nice for fighting the hands. It doesn't really matter that he's slow.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Guys... maybe the OP just recently recieved Melee. Did you ever think of that?

Sheesh, the name of this place should be changed to Snobboards. I swear.

jay~B

Smash Journeyman
Well you guys are talented smashers.......I am not that good in the game but i love it......but I hate losing -____-
Dude i don't wanna be rude but how long have you been playing? If you feel you are not that good go to training mode and put cpu's on and little by little you will get used to them. Maybe your playing with random characters every time and thats why your not good with one character, you should stick with one character and when you think your good enough then you can try another one. About the stages thing look for cheats dude.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Guys... maybe the OP just recently recieved Melee. Did you ever think of that?

Sheesh, the name of this place should be changed to Snobboards. I swear.

*reposted cause I ALWAYS seem to the bottom post >_>*

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Adventure Mode in Very Hard on Melee without losing a continue is... well... very hard. For me at least, don't know about everyone else here.

I was worried that Brawl might be a little on the easy side. I'd like for there to be some challenging unlockables that even weathered players will have trouble getting. Wouldn't count on it though.

Project Occasus

Smash Cadet
I can't do Adventure on Very Hard without continues. Pokemon stage usually does me in. I can do classic though.

Has anyone ever done All Star on Very Hard?

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
I've got the Mew trophy, but I did lose a continue or two while doing it.

It's painfully hard without continues IMO.

I still find beating Event Match 51 without losing any stocks very very hard. Maybe it's the characters I use. It's easy with Jiggs, but much harder with Young Link & Samus.

Project Occasus

Smash Cadet
I haven't done event 51 in ages. I remember doing it with Mewtwo just because I liked him. If I had done it with jiggs, I would have saved myself a lot of pain.

SilverChaos

Smash Apprentice
I never found melee to be hard, per se, but since my younger brothers have accidentaly deleted my save file not once, not twice, but THREE TIMES, I'm certainly not going to bother going and beating all events, getting all stages, ect.
Final destination is not worth the tedium.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
It really depends what type of gamer are you. But most people on the boards will say that Melee is a day at the beach from what they got it, till today. Not everybody will find this game easy though.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
its easier to pick up for begginers now..
I saw countless times , newcomers to the game killing themselves thousand times with capt falcon and fox XD

Rampage

vx
The pikachu and pichu was a ***** and but you shouldn't have any problems with other things

c'mon just shffl flutter kicks for the yoshi homerun

Top Bottom