• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

is Brawl easier than Melee?

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Hmm, while a topic about difficulty is still on the front page of the Brawl discussion board, I may as well pose a question I'm curious about: approximately how difficult are the different difficulty settings for SSE, exactly...? When I get the game, I want to play it through on the right difficulty setting, rather than just breeze through it... Does anyone know what the settings are like? If I can't find an answer here perhaps I'll just make my own topic. ...maybe when I'm feeling less lazy...

Omhatoen

Smash Apprentice
Not necessarily. Look up the unlocking methods for things in Brawl. There was barely anything to unlock in Super smash Bros. Four characters that didn't take much time or effort and a single stage.

Brawl has a TON of content, spread between characters, stages, stage builder parts, music, assist trophies, etc. It could take ages to collect everything you care about. I've heard reports that say it's easier than Melee, but it will take longer to do.
I guess the Time worth collecting everything makes up for the easiness of the game

MetaKevin

Smash Cadet
Yeah, give the dude a break! Oh and also, I wouldn't say Mario Galaxy was easier than 64--perhaps getting through the game was, but I'll contest that getting all 120 stars in really either game can be considered quite the feat.

Dagingabreadman

Smash Apprentice
You have to lose sometimes to learn anything! That way you'll know what not to do, and why.

Getting 1300 ft in the Homerun Contest is really easy once you know what to do, and there a lot of strategies for that. Here's one with Ganon:
1. Turn left, grab the bat and run next to the bag.
2. Do a slightly-charged upsmash. The bag should take over 40% damage and go straight up; otherwise you weren't in the right place and should restart.
3. Jump, aerial down-A. You only need to be touching the bag for his stomp to connect, it's nuts.
4. Do another slightly-charged upsmash. Make sure both hits connect.
5. Wait about two seconds, then double jump aerial down-A.
6. Take a step back and do a forward smash with the bat.

So, that's charged usmash, d-air, charged usmash, d-air, home run.
I don't have my game in front of me, but either the bat smash or his neutral B should easily break 1300 since the bag will be over 120% at that point.
hes european dude (i think), so thats 1300 metres, still not hard, but harder than 1300 feet

Omhatoen

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, while a topic about difficulty is still on the front page of the Brawl discussion board, I may as well pose a question I'm curious about: approximately how difficult are the different difficulty settings for SSE, exactly...? When I get the game, I want to play it through on the right difficulty setting, rather than just breeze through it... Does anyone know what the settings are like? If I can't find an answer here perhaps I'll just make my own topic. ...maybe when I'm feeling less lazy...
Not to be a noob or anything, but i'm going to play through it the first time on Easy (just to beat the game faster).

IF you want to unlock stuff fast = Very Easy-Easy mode
IF you don't want to breeze through it (@Eldiran) =Normal-Hard Mode
IF you're a veteran and want a challenge =Hard-Very Hard

Does that sum things up for you?

Melee? Hard? Lol.
To you? No. To me? Not at all. But, that doesn't give you the right to make fun of others who can't beat the game as fast as others. Just because they can't get talent as fast as others doesn't mean they suck, they just need more practice. So stop being so ignorant on others, you're not a professional.

LordLocke

Smash Journeyman
Melee was probably pretty hard for the casual gamer- I remember Normal Difficulty taking some doing in 64 when I first played it, and Melee's Normal > 64's Normal in both classic and adventure in terms of difficulty. In particular, I could see Pokemon Stadium, Onnet, and the Metal Bros. fight being gamestoppers in Adventure.

THESE days everything but Very Hard is so much cake, but that's six years with Melee and nine with Smash Bros in general. I saw my sister try to play through Five-stock Easy adventure a few times about a year back- she never got farther then the Metal Bros. level, and usually died somewhere between Dream Land and Onnet. While not 'gamer', she's not unfamiliar with her way about a controller. She started doing better with her character of choice (Marth) once I told her about stuff with his air F+A and using Shield Breaker/Down Smash instead of flailing madly to clear-out, but she still usually lost a bunch of lives in the Team fights with Kirby and the various Pokemon.

Melee probably isn't the hardest game around, but with it's casual draw, I'd say it's probably a fair lot harder then what they'd been used to.

Bish

Smash Rookie
I haven't played Brawl, nor do I know everything about it, but I can say this: games in general have been getting easier and easier. Compare Super Mario 64 to Super Mario Galaxy. Galaxy was WAY easier than 64. Twilight Princess also wasn't too big of a challenge. Mario Kart Wii is supposed to be easier for newbies to race against veterans. Truth is, Nintendo games are getting easier to appeal to more people. Relax.
This is what I thought exactly. Mario 64 was extremely hard at some points if you wanted all the stars (some of the challenges seemed to have been complete guesses to me). Don't have galaxy yet but a friend got all the stars without having to cheat so I'd imagine it is much easier. With the whole idea of the wii trying to bring in the casual gamers, Nintendo games will definitely become a little easier. Personally, I'm not worried about the difficulty level of the game, but I just hope it doesn't require a painfully long time to unlock all the characters and levels.

Omhatoen

Smash Apprentice
Brawl will be easier if u use the GC controllers, otherwise it looks like it will be harder for me
Pretty much, mate.

I'm going to use the VC controller a few times, the Wiimote w/Nunchuck a few times, the GC controller like once or twice, and I'm mainly going to be using the Wiimote turned sideways.

I think that people will use the GC option, because they're fond of those settings. Me? I like a challenge, so I'm going to game it up with all 4 types of control. That way, I can experience and decide which one I'll be using the most.

Melee was probably pretty hard for the casual gamer- I remember Normal Difficulty taking some doing in 64 when I first played it, and Melee's Normal > 64's Normal in both classic and adventure in terms of difficulty. In particular, I could see Pokemon Stadium, Onnet, and the Metal Bros. fight being gamestoppers in Adventure.

THESE days everything but Very Hard is so much cake, but that's six years with Melee and nine with Smash Bros in general. I saw my sister try to play through Five-stock Easy adventure a few times about a year back- she never got farther then the Metal Bros. level, and usually died somewhere between Dream Land and Onnet. While not 'gamer', she's not unfamiliar with her way about a controller. She started doing better with her character of choice (Marth) once I told her about stuff with his air F+A and using Shield Breaker/Down Smash instead of flailing madly to clear-out, but she still usually lost a bunch of lives in the Team fights with Kirby and the various Pokemon.

Melee probably isn't the hardest game around, but with it's casual draw, I'd say it's probably a fair lot harder then what they'd been used to.
Nice, but I've been playing the smash series for 10 years (the whole time it's been out). I couldn't of said it better myself.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
It should be common knowledge that games are stupidly easy these days, and get easier all the time.

i.e. Twilight Princess.

Mario 64 is harder than Mario Galaxy

And as far as I know, on Brawl there is no character that requires you to beat Classic on normal mode or higher. Everything can probably be done in Very Easy/Easy :laugh:

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Not to be a noob or anything, but i'm going to play through it the first time on Easy (just to beat the game faster).

IF you want to unlock stuff fast = Very Easy-Easy mode
IF you don't want to breeze through it (@Eldiran) =Normal-Hard Mode
IF you're a veteran and want a challenge =Hard-Very Hard

Does that sum things up for you?
Thanks! That's pretty much what I'm looking for. Just to clarify, though, does 'Very Hard' in Brawl translate closely to 'Very Hard' in Melee? Or is Melee's 'Very Hard' closer to 'Intense'? If it's the latter, I may go with Very Hard at first. ('Course, I'll probably play a few normal Brawls first to get the hang of things.)

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
I got over 2000 with Yoshi with ease. It simply requires about 3-4 short hop Dairs.

If you can't do that, I'm not sure how well you'll do in Brawl. It might just be lack of knowledge, not lack of technical skill.

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
Guys... maybe the OP just recently recieved Melee. Did you ever think of that?

Sheesh, the name of this place should be changed to Snobboards. I swear.
LOL! Too true.
Too many people here look down on other people if they don't eat, sleep, or breath the game.

On topic though, Melee isn't really hard. Takes practise. The only parts I found hard were event matches with characters I hardly played as.

Top Bottom