• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is anyone worried about how this game will affect your ds?

Wampa

Smash Rookie
The smash series has always kind of lent itself to very fast and or spastic button pressing. Do you think the 3ds is suited for this? replacing a console is a lot different than replacing a controller.

Khao

Smash Lord
You don't really have to replace the whole thing, just send it for repairs and they'll fix/replace your broken button.

I'm actually pretty worried about my circle pad, the white rubber thingy (is that rubber? Dunno if that's rubber, but I'm calling it rubber) is breaking off already, I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna have to remove it completely at some point.

A lot of people have had trouble with their shoulder buttons too.

TheMiddleVeen

Smash Cadet
All I'm worried about right now is if the original screen is too small to play and that my buttons stick to much

Morbi

Scavenger
I am honestly worried about it; but I am just going to have to play more carefully. That being said, I don't really want to wear out the stick.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It might come down to if we can use the directional pad to move our characters. That'll help prolong the Circle Pad's longevity.

Khao

Smash Lord
Eww, d-pads.

Analog sticks are way too important to Smash gameplay for me to just switch to them, I'd rather just use the circle pad until it dies than to go out of my way to protect it by using something that won't let me fully enjoy the game.

R0Y

Smash Master
I'm pretty gentle with my systems so I really hope my Aqua Blue from 2011 holds up. I do not want to buy another 3DS.

Might use D-Pad as well, my Circle Pad grip is somewhat loose.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Just remember that most Kirby titles have never really utilized the Control Stick, and it was possible to make Kirby dash with just the directional pad. To dash, just tap the directional pad twice left or right. Likewise, tap twice on the directional pad at either direction, and hit the attack button during the process to execute a smash attack.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
You don't really have to replace the whole thing, just send it for repairs and they'll fix/replace your broken button.

I'm actually pretty worried about my circle pad, the white rubber thingy (is that rubber? Dunno if that's rubber, but I'm calling it rubber) is breaking off already, I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna have to remove it completely at some point.

A lot of people have had trouble with their shoulder buttons too.
My rubber came off and i actually like it more like this there actually more grip lol. But iv never head of the circle pad actually breaking like ever. i think the circle pad is the most sturdy part of the 3ds.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Uh oh...

*cough*

Yeah I'm actually kinda worried, but I have two 3ds's, so I at least have a backup.
well yeah the rubber came of like it slipped off on its own. I did not even pull it off. Its fell off once than just started falling off easier and easier and to a point i lost it Xd.

Glyphoscythe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Glyphoscythe
3DS FC
0834-0985-0680
well yeah the rubber came of like it slipped off on its own. I did not even pull it off. Its fell off once than just started falling off easier and easier and to a point i lost it Xd.
My favorite gamecube controller got beat to hell. The grippy stuff on the control stick fell off like that too, but it took years of melee and brawl before that happened. Still useable.

My controller that really got it bad was my 64 one. That original mario party did a number on analog sticks.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
My favorite gamecube controller got beat to hell. The grippy stuff on the control stick fell off like that too, but it took years of melee and brawl before that happened. Still useable.

My controller that really got it bad was my 64 one. That original mario party did a number on analog sticks.
But like most nintendo things they still generally work after wards.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I think Kid Icarus put a work out on my 3DS circle pad than any game but it still works 100%. I normally don't break any handheld analogs. Only the home console analogs. :p

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
OG 3DS at any rate seems very frail in comparison to past systems, can't speak for 2DS or 3DS XL.
Pfft literally all you hear about the 3ds is the l and r if you generally take care of your things the 3ds should be fine as well.

R0Y

Smash Master
Pfft literally all you hear about the 3ds is the l and r if you generally take care of your things the 3ds should be fine as well.
I've never broken any console, minus a sticky A or B button here or there on a GC controller but the original 3DS' just seem flimsy. It might be partly the screen scratching design flaw, but aside from L or R the d-pads can crack and the circle pad cover can come off.

^Not mine

Anyway's, as long as you're relatively gentle it'll probably be fine. D-pad might be the way to go to prevent the loose circle pad covering from coming off though. D-pad cracks are purely aesthetic.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Kid Icarus: Uprising had a lot of moving the Control Stick... I'm not all that worried. Then again, I've never broken a controller.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Kid Icarus: Uprising had a lot of moving the Control Stick.
Especially on types of weapons that make you fast.
I use razor claws, my razor claws are probably the fastest thing ever and never met someone faster than me (And I play online a lot). So going really fast will make your circle pad through some of the greatest work out it will ever experience. So if my circle pad survive hours upon hours of mashing the circle pad sprinting and dodging in story and multiplayer, I am more than sure that smash will be fine on the 3DS.

iFlysmn

Smash Rookie
I'm somewhat worried, as I've only just recently purchased a 3DS XL, and the analog stick feels really... flimsy. I'm not sure if that's how it's meant to feel because I've never used another 3DS before - not so worried about the buttons though, they seem pretty solid to me.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
I'm somewhat worried, as I've only just recently purchased a 3DS XL, and the analog stick feels really... flimsy. I'm not sure if that's how it's meant to feel because I've never used another 3DS before - not so worried about the buttons though, they seem pretty solid to me.
That's the least of your worries; 3DS XL will switch itself off spontaneously.
Then when you send it for repairs, Nintendo will call you a liar and make you buy a "new" one, then send your old one back.

iFlysmn

Smash Rookie
That's the least of your worries; 3DS XL will switch itself off spontaneously.
Then when you send it for repairs, Nintendo will call you a liar and make you buy a "new" one, then send your old one back.
Nah - I've read about that, if it were to happen - it would've done so by now. The problem was affiliated with the normal 3DS more so than the 3DS XL.
(I've never seen anyone saying its ever happened to a PAL system anyway)

SuperSah

Smash Cadet
NNID
SuperSah
3DS FC
4425-2273-6142
Not worried at all. My OG system has lasted over 60 hours on KIU and hundreds on Street Fighter.

This will be fine.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
Nah - I've read about that, if it were to happen - it would've done so by now. The problem was affiliated with the normal 3DS more so than the 3DS XL.
(I've never seen anyone saying its ever happened to a PAL system anyway)
This is me saying it's happened to at least 3 PAL 3DS XL systems. I'm using them as bookends now. For me the problem started after about 6 months each time, but if yours is still working fine that's fantastic. I hope it stays that way for you, but if it does go wrong don't bother sending it to Nintendo to get it repaired.

Moczan

Smash Rookie
KIU had same c-pad controls as SSB (tilt gently to walk, all the way to run, 'smash' for dashing/dodging), I've played the game a lot and it's as good as new. I've also got almost 400h on MH3U and L/R are still working (it's 3DSXL). One of my friend got his touch-screen decalibrated from hardcore Theathrythm playing but that won't concern SSB players as touch screen will be for stats/menus mainly.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I bought my large 3DS purely for smash so if it breaks it breaks... which I'm willing to bet it will since I've gone though 4+ controllers since I've started playing smash.

R0Y

Smash Master
I bought my large 3DS purely for smash so if it breaks it breaks... which I'm willing to bet it will since I've gone though 4+ controllers since I've started playing smash.
You sir, are a threat to controllers everywhere.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
You sir, are a threat to controllers everywhere.
It's not fault, Sheik dash attack cancel up smash breaks C sticks and bumpers. I went though like three with that alone and then there just wear down with use I had from melee which ate two controllers.

iFlysmn

Smash Rookie
This is me saying it's happened to at least 3 PAL 3DS XL systems. I'm using them as bookends now. For me the problem started after about 6 months each time, but if yours is still working fine that's fantastic. I hope it stays that way for you, but if it does go wrong don't bother sending it to Nintendo to get it repaired.
Nah the problem has been identified to the battery (as in the actual battery isn't functioning properly i.e. not recharging as it should over periods of time) and/or casing around the battery (adding pressure around the battery can trigger the turn off) so I just checked mine manually - I probably won't have an issue with it - if it does happen though, I'd just repair it myself.

Still worried about the analog stick tbh

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
I've never broken any console, minus a sticky A or B button here or there on a GC controller but the original 3DS' just seem flimsy. It might be partly the screen scratching design flaw, but aside from L or R the d-pads can crack and the circle pad cover can come off.

^Not mine

Anyway's, as long as you're relatively gentle it'll probably be fine. D-pad might be the way to go to prevent the loose circle pad covering from coming off though. D-pad cracks are purely aesthetic.
My rubber came off i already said this read my posts but dose your circle pad still work if yes my point still stands.

NeonS4

Smash Cadet
NNID
NeonS5
3DS FC
3351-4072-5555
I have a 3DS and a 3DS XL, so I have something to fall back on if one breaks. I always try and avoid mashing when playing on my 3DS, and the console seems pretty durable. Just hope Smash 3DS doesn't require button mashing as much as the previous smash games (maybe make it easier to get out of grabs?).

Last edited:

Villast

Smash Cadet
I'm not completely fond of the idea of SSB4 being on portable consoles. Would you have to have 2 or more seperate consoles just to play with friends?!

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm not completely fond of the idea of SSB4 being on portable consoles. Would you have to have 2 or more seperate consoles just to play with friends?!
That is pretty much what I am doing (we each have a 3DS to play the same game). However, this is actually a good thing for me, my sister doesn't usually use her 3DS, so I can just wear hers down! :troll:

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
Man, I've been playing Smash Bros. for over a decade and have never so much as impaired a controller. What are you guys even doing?
You play just as quickly and accurately with a light, deft touch. You don't need to wreck it to improve your game.

R0Y

Smash Master
Man, I've been playing Smash Bros. for over a decade and have never so much as impaired a controller. What are you guys even doing?
You play just as quickly and accurately with a light, deft touch. You don't need to wreck it to improve your game.
Yeah I don't get that either. I mean, taking button mashing too seriously.

Last edited:

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
There's some definite concern. I don't play my 3DS all that often (comparatively), but somehow I've got creases on the circle-pad and chipping on the D-pad.

Last edited:
Top Bottom