• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Is anyone else on the fence about the lower unlock requirements?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
So I was looking online out of curiosity to see how many matches it took to unlock the characters. (the numbers at the end of each character's line is the number of matches it took to get them)

This was the list in Melee

CharacterHow to Unlock VS Matches Required
JigglypuffComplete Classic or Adventure Mode on any stock or difficulty. 50
Dr. MarioAs Mario, complete Classic or Adventure Mode on any difficulty without continuing. 100
PichuComplete Event Match #37: Legendary Pokémon or complete Adventure Mode with Mewtwo.200
Falco LombardiComplete 100-Man Melee.300
MarthPlay Classic Mode with all 14 starter characters, or use them all in VS. mode.400
Young LinkComplete Classic Mode with 10 characters including Link or Zelda.500
GanondorfComplete Event Match #29 Triforce Gathering.600
Mewtwo*Play VS. mode for a combined total of 20 hours.*700
LuigiComplete Stage #1 of Adventure with time ending in a "2" in the seconds meter. After that, beat Luigi and Peach in less than a minute, and then complete the Adventure mode.800
RoyAs Marth, complete Classic or Adventure Mode without continuing.900
Mr. Game & WatchClear Classic, Adventure, or Target Test with all other 24 characters.1000

This was the list in Brawl
Character How to Unlock Subspace Emissary VS Matches Required
Ness Reflect 10 Projectiles. Complete Subspace (Part I). 5
Marth Complete Classic Mode. Complete Battlefield Fortress. 10
Luigi Complete Classic Mode using no continues. Complete Subspace (Part I). 22
Falco Complete 100-Man Brawl. Complete The Swamp. 50
Captain Falcon Play through Classic Mode on Normal or higher and beat it in 12 minutes or less. Complete Outside the Ancient Ruins. 70
Lucario Clear Target Smash!! on levels 1-5 with any single character. Complete Glacial Peak. 100
Snake Play 15 Vs. Matches on Shadow Moses Island. Complete Battleship Halberd Interior. 130
R.O.B. Collect 250 different trophies (If done in Coin Launcher, play a vs. match with any character). Complete Subspace Bomb Factory (Part II). 160
Ganondorf Clear Classic on Hard with Link or Zelda/Sheik without continuing. Collect both Link and Zelda's trophies in Subspace (Part II). 200
Mr. Game & Watch Clear Target Smash with 30 different characters on any single difficulty level. Complete Battleship Halberd Bridge. 250
Sonic*** Complete Classic Mode with 10 characters or Brawl for 10 combined total hours. Complete The Great Maze. 300
Jigglypuff** Beat 20 or more events after beating the Subspace Emissary. (video) After completing The Great Maze defeat it in a secret room in The Swamp. 350
Toon Link** Complete Classic Mode after beating the Subspace Emissary. After completing The Great Maze defeat him in a secret room in The Forest. 400
Wolf ** Complete Boss Battles mode with Fox or Falco. After completing The Great Maze defeat him in a secret room in The Ruins. 450

And THIS was the list for SSB4

Character How to Unlock Matches Required
Bowser Jr. Beat Classic Mode with Bowser on 7.0 difficulty or higher. 100
Dark Pit Beat Classic Mode 4 times. 50
Duck Hunt Duo Beat Classic Mode 8 times.
Beat Classic Mode as a Mii Fighter.
Dr. Mario Beat Classic Mode as Mario. 60
Falco Beat Classic Mode for the first time. 20
Ganondorf Beat Classic Mode with Link or Zelda. 80
Jigglypuff Beat Classic Mode with a character using customizations. 120
Lucina Beat Classic Mode with Marth, Ike or Robin. 40
Mr. Game & Watch Beat Classic Mode 10 times. 90
Ness Beat Classic Mode 2 times. 10
R.O.B. Beat Classic Mode after obtaining 200 figures. 70
Wario Beat 100 Man Smash. 30

Basically, the requirements for unlocking characters have gone WAY down.

IDK if many of you have noticed, or even CARE...but IDK how to really feel about it. It's just like...wow. There was just something cool about having to work HARD to unlock them. Now, you get them SO easily, I literally played a few matches with friends, then went on to play single player, and had 3 consecutive challenger battles, with 1 shortly after.

I remember beign SO hyped to get Mewtwo, Mr. Game and Watch, etc, since the requirements were SO high. Like, some people would leave their consoles on overnight with a 99 stock battle against two human players on idle, to rack up hours. It was somethin quirky, but sort of fun in a way.

It's kind of an odd feeling. Is that just me?

Last edited:

tttt

Smash Cadet
If it gets me faster to the action, I'm not complaining.

All I really care about is playing the game at its fullest.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Right, that IS a good point. That you get to unlock everything quick....but....idk

To me it's like they're shoving the characters down my throat, so I never get some quality time to know each and every one of them uniquely. That's why I liked the demo and the 5 characters in it still remain embedded in my mind XP

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
IDK, I think Brawl was fine, but these for me were just a tiny bit TOO close together XP

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
While I enjoy having all the characters, I completely agree with the OP. Having 1 "New Challenger Approaches" come right after another really spoiled that moment for me.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
While I enjoy having all the characters, I completely agree with the OP. Having 1 "New Challenger Approaches" come right after another really spoiled that moment for me.
Right? It used to be so special before.

Like OMG NEW CHALLENGER~

Now it's just like

"Another one? Aight, sure .-."

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Also, something that I didn't realize and now explains everything to me, if you end up finishing these requirements online, you don't unlock the characters online. So, for me, I played a ton online. Then went to offline to do some challenges and got them literally one after another. :/

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Mhmm, happened to me to. I can see why, as they wouldn't want to interrupt your online play or even local wireless play for that, but having to do single matches one after the other to get all the characters is...eh.

Khao

Smash Lord
I don't mind.

Characters being separated by hundreds of vs. matches and especially Mewtwos ****ing 20 hours of gameplay are just the equivalent of an RPG forcing you to grind to get past a boss fight, it's not actually difficult or "hard work", just tedious and a waste of time.

Though if you ignore the "do X vs matches" then yeah, I do actually think unlock conditions were better in both Melee and Brawl. They should just drop the "X vs Matches" requirements if you ask me.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I think the x vs matches req is good if done well. In that regard, I think Brawl was spot on, as the LAST character you get needs 400 plays. It certainly shouldnt be the ONLY way to get them but I always liked how there was multiple ways to do so, such as SSE in Brawl and uh.....classic mode (?) in melee (been a while)

spader13

Smash Journeyman
You got them really quickly, and the starting roster was also quite large. I haven't used even half the characters yet (or used them for one match/Smash Run) but I only have one left to unlock. I wouldn't have minded steeper unlock requirements and more of the cast being unlockable, really.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
You got them really quickly, and the starting roster was also quite large. I haven't used even half the characters yet (or used them for one match/Smash Run) but I only have one left to unlock. I wouldn't have minded steeper unlock requirements and more of the cast being unlockable, really.
I agree completely, just imagine if you started out like in Brawl, with only like 15-20 or so, and had to get the rest. THAT'D be good

Maybe the Wii U version is like that.

Hell, if it is, I'm officially declaring that this is literally just a multiplayer portable version of the REAL Smash game to come XDD (as in, it was pretty much meant to be multiplayer portable, and that's really it)

Last edited:

TypePositive

Smash Apprentice
I can't say I would have mind making a higher match unlock count and more specific ways to unlock characters in the non vs. modes. I haven't touched the other modes since I got all characters. There is f course nothing stopping me except my OCD to wreck everyones face with one particular character. but I really liked the other modes and would be playing them all more if they gave me something other than the occasional trophy or whatevs.

Sqweg

Smash Rookie
I dont exactly mind it although i felt as though the starting cast of characters was huge, i feel as though more should of been unlockable and not having about 40 from the start, but i was able to get all the characters within 3 hours and i just felt like " wow i already did it" so it was a bit too fast

Overclocked

Smash Cadet
NNID
superfamicomwars
I don't really mind. It lets me unlock all the characters I want quicker.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the Wii U version will have harder unlock requirements, so don't take these as the unlock requirements for both games. It makes sense to me to have easy unlock requirements on a portable where all you want to do is play quickly and harder requirements on a console where the system lends itself better to longer play sessions and play time.

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
im so happy that they lowered it. going back after losing my memory card for melee is such a drag and just annoying trying to get everything. im the type of guy who hates unlock tredmills and i just want to have everything and play the game, so being able to unlock everything in a few hours was great

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I sure hope that's the case, and if it is that'll be a really interesting thing they do. Props to them.

Cuz seriously.

We started here with like almost 40 out of 50 X.X

@Tyvek - but now that systems autosave without the need of a 'memory card', would it still be THAT much of a hassle? XP

Rahfal

Smash Rookie
You make a good argument and I can see why some people are upset by it being easier to obtain them. That being said, for me personally, I just want them all as quick as possible so that I can have my full roster at my disposal at any time I want. I remember when I finally got all of them from Melee and it felt great (even after restarting the game multiple times for various reasons) over the years. But, I still wish I got them quicker, haha.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
We will never get the feel of unlocking mewtwo again, no mather how hard the requirements are, it simply will not happen.

I would preffer if they were more criptic though, "beat classic mode without the different animations to get me" :4drmario:
Even today, the requirements to get ness in 64 is my all time favorite :p

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
I sure hope that's the case, and if it is that'll be a really interesting thing they do. Props to them.

Cuz seriously.

We started here with like almost 40 out of 50 X.X

@Tyvek - but now that systems autosave without the need of a 'memory card', would it still be THAT much of a hassle? XP
auto saves are nice, but why make me do it in the first place? i enjoyed it as a kid because it was fun but now that im older and just want the options from the beginning its better IMO

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Wait, why is everyone acting as if you'll have to unlock the characters again for the Wii U version? I thought you just had to transfer your 3DS data over to the new one.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
We will never get the feel of unlocking mewtwo again, no mather how hard the requirements are, it simply will not happen.

I would preffer if they were more criptic though, "beat classic mode without the different animations to get me" :4drmario:
Even today, the requirements to get ness in 64 is my all time favorite :p
Captain FalconBeat the Single Player mode with any character on any difficulty in less than 20 minutes on any stock.

Captain Falcon's gotta go fast tho?

Honestly, they COULD have made it more creative, the way to unlock characters, but IDK if people would like that.

Mostly because they WOULD be eager to get all the characters, and then theyd have to go online to find out, whereas its pretty much universal beating classic mode with everyone or doing a craptop of normal matches will pretty much guarantee you all of them

Also I'd like to mention something.

Sure, we all 'want' all the options

But how many of them will we actually USE?

I personally couldn't care less for half the roster, if I'm honest. At least, as characters I'd use.

Hell, less than that. I'd only consistently use perhaps 9 or at most 10 from the full roster. Having won the rest so easy is kinda...disappointing, though I'm not sure how to explain why this ties into my previous statement.

Last edited:

TypePositive

Smash Apprentice
Man, mewtwo was just leave a game on while your at school, or am I thinking of something else? I don't need bull**** like that in my life.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
It was either that, or 700 matches

I found it rather interesting =P

Irisz

The Wanderer
NNID
QnIrisZ
3DS FC
4871-4459-0233
I actually try not to unlock them by "Play ___ matches" and I try to unlock whoever I can with their alternative methods lol

I definitely agree with you that it's a lot easier to unlock characters though. Maybe they'll change that for the WiiU version?

I used to get REALLY hype whenever one of those "A challenger is approaching" screens came up. Now I just nonchalantly go through them. It's sort of sad in a way :/

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Honestly, they COULD have made it more creative, the way to unlock characters, but IDK if people would like that.

Mostly because they WOULD be eager to get all the characters, and then theyd have to go online to find out, whereas its pretty much universal beating classic mode with everyone or doing a craptop of normal matches will pretty much guarantee you all of them
Thats why there are multiple ways "just play VS until you get them" that's nice.
Even SSE worked for that, so, they could've used all starmode or smash run this time, giving you tips or something.

There is no excuse, they just dont want to be creative anymore :ohwell:

Last edited:

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
It's a Smash game with a portable experience, thus I have to treat it as such. Really, it doesn't bother me. Smash Wii U is going to release pretty soon so I'd rather not bother with time wasted. Now, if the Wii U's unlockable methods aren't difficult/unique then I'll be upset about it.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I actually try not to unlock them by "Play ___ matches" and I try to unlock whoever I can with their alternative methods lol

I definitely agree with you that it's a lot easier to unlock characters though. Maybe they'll change that for the WiiU version?

I used to get REALLY hype whenever one of those "A challenger is approaching" screens came up. Now I just nonchalantly go through them. It's sort of sad in a way :/
Exactly!

It was SO cool back then, now it's just sort of beat -> beat -> beat wee got character!

Also dont misunderstand, by 'more creative' I mean like, adding weird conditions for each character that kinda fit who they are. Which would have been cool but troublesome to find out unless you go online

Such as Dr. Mario having a "10 KOs against regular Mario and 1 against Bowser" or somethin

Last edited:

S2

Smash Lord
I don't think the problem is how much easier the unlocks are, it's that there aren't that many new characters to actually unlock. There are 2 new characters and 2 new clones, the rest of the unlockables are all just old mainstays that were locked for the sake of having unlockables.

Falco is a good example. Even as a clone character, the first time you unlocked him in Melee it was neat because it was a second Starfox character. Unlocking him for a third time in Sm4sh does not really feel special.

I'm not the biggest fan of unlockable characters in general. But if a game is going to have them, then a few new fighters should be peppered into the starting roster and the rest as unlockables.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
I honestly feel if they were gonna be that easy to unlock they should have just been starters to being with, and have the unlockable stuff be costumes and stage skins and other cosmetic features.

Raijinken

Smash Master
My only complaint is that you have to unlock the second page of Challenges to get Flat Zone 2. Otherwise, since most of my Smash now is done in smaller fights with far less single-player going on, the lack of complicated unlocks doesn't bother me.

Top Bottom