• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(IS) Anyone else here like me?

itsameSMB

Smash Journeyman
I would not say that I'm a noob when it comes to smash, but to be honest, I've only competed in one tournament, and I was creamed. In retrospect, those I played against weren't that phenominal either! What do you call someone like that... scrub, right?

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else here isn't a tournament player, or haven't played in one at all. Oh, and if you aren't, don't flame anyone here who is. It doesn't make you look any better, and frankly, it isn't funny.

Ørion

Smash Ace
I'm like you, never been in a tournament. I've been playing since the first one, but never been to a tournament. I was too young before, but would like to start to competing. I would just pick up information on forums and practice. I have a question though, how do you find out about tournaments?

D13

Smash Ace
I'm kind of young to be going to tourneys, that's why I've never been in one. I might think about it when I have a license. ;)

Andromeda

Smash Lord
I haven't been to a Smash Tourney either. But I'm so isolated from everything where I live, and would have a very hard time to attend to them.

itsameSMB

Smash Journeyman
I have a question though, how do you find out about tournaments?
The one I entered was stumbled upon by chance when my dad saw the ad for it in the newspaper. I suppose you could look on the tourney boards if you wanted to enter one of those.

Andromeda

Smash Lord
I'm like you, never been in a tournament. I've been playing since the first one, but never been to a tournament. I was too young before, but would like to start to competing. I would just pick up information on forums and practice. I have a question though, how do you find out about tournaments?
Some countries have their own competitive smash scene, some of them have their own forums except for smashboards. Most of them are listed in the Region section of the Tournament boards, I think.

Fafnir

Smash Apprentice
I'm in a similar boat, I don't really get to tournies much, but I know my stuff. And almost everyone I know sucks at smash.

So although I'm better then quite a few people, I'm not at a competative level yet. My best advice is to simply fight people who are better then you, and just keep getting better until you can finally fight on an equal level with them. For example, one guy kept beating me like nothing before, and then I fought him again yesterday, and I managed to do some real damage to him, getting him down to his last stock(3 stock matches) many times, sometimes putting him in tight positions.

GraveNeedle

Smash Cadet
New York. I really need to train. ;_; AIM: Toonika
...Like you as a friend? Or like like you?
Heh heh...to be honest, I thought of the same exact thing when I saw the title.

Anyway, I would definately not call that a scrub. My defination of scrub is somebody that brags about skill they don't have. You very plainly admitted your loss, so I'd never call you a scrub.

Back on topic, I'm not sure if it'd be so far fetched to say that half of this entire board has never been to a tournament (me being in that, by the way). Even though it doesn't look like it at first, you'd be surprised how many casual-playing people go here.

Marie_54

Smash Ace
I haven't been in any tournaments but i'm not a noob so i'm somewhere in between?

People need to be more honest... *puts up a flame shield*

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
I haven't been in any tournaments but i'm not a noob so i'm somewhere in between?

People need to be more honest... *puts up a flame shield*
I'd say I'm in the same boat as you. But when I actually thought about it, I came to the conclusion that I'm nowhere near as good as I thought I was and would likely get totally pwned by tournament players...

I don't think I'm bad...but I don't think I'm amazing.

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
I started smashing with brawl so i sure haven't been at tournaments but i have no trouble pwning people online (both random with stupid items and stages and FC matches with no items on normal stages) and i've put around 170 hours on it already so i'm definitely no noob.

lycrof

Smash Apprentice
It seems in my part of Canada competative gaming isn't a high priority with anyone. Getting good for me is just to get some bragging rights for whenever me and my friends get together and play.

etrain911

Smash Apprentice
Like you, I've only been to one at the GameStop, It was the first timne I played Brawl and it was with the wiimote and nunchuck attachment. Needless to say I accidently paused the game a few times before ending up in sudden death and accidently killing myself. From then on, I swore to GC controllers. I wouldn't say I'm a scrub though. None of us are. I mean, we're all versed in Melee.

Buci01

Smash Journeyman
I'm from Germany and we have a smash scene there... but my problem is: I live like in the northy-est town of germany and would drive 2-3 hours for a tourney... so no, I have never been to one. And i would look like a nerdy geek if I would drive so many kilometers just for a videogame

Shadow Calibur

Smash Ace
I've been to one small Melee tourney. Managed to get 4th place.

I would say I'm better than some of the Smash players in my area, but I'm nowhere near as good as the tourney elite.

kazaken455

Smash Apprentice
I have never been in a tournement either. I'm not a noob though. I know I would get my butt kicked by smash elite though XD That is kinda why I wanted to start a smash clan for casual people who aren't proffesionals or whatever. But the guy I was gonna do it with hasn't been on for a long time T.T;

rove

Smash Apprentice
I'm like you.
I haven't been to a tournament at all.
And I know I can go, I can just skate there.
But I seriously have other things better to do then just waist my time when I know im going to lose in the long run because of geeks who live only for games.
Not trying to flame, but thats a reason why I dont go.

Top Bottom