• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Abortion Ethical?

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
To all the pro-choice people: where do you draw the line and declare a baby to be a person? Is it OK to kill a baby after birth? Is partial-birth abortion OK? What about other 3rd trimester abortions? Yes obviously abortion is a useful option for women but that doesn't begin to address the reasons people oppose abortion.
I consider the baby becoming a person once they're born. Once they take that first breath on their own. Killing after birth is just murder. That principle of mine goes for partial-birth and trimester.

jranks

Smash Cadet
Short and to the point, I believe that a woman should have the right the choose. I just think that the person bearing the child should be the ultimate decision maker (That's just my opinion though...)

M15t3R E

Smash Master
While it is a sad decision that will end the potential for a new human being able to grace this world, if a woman goes through with an abortion, it's almost a sure thing that she wouldn't have been able to take care of the kid. Due to this, the kid would grow up in a broken home, probably starve, and might turn out kind of stunted in terms of personality. If the kid is given up for adoption that may be better but don't we have too many flooded orphanages as it is? I hate the thought of adding needlessly to that pool. And let's not even get into the topic of the four letter 'r' word (which is censored). Hopefully we all feel the same on that.
I hate abortion but I feel it is a necessary evil in this world and the woman must deliberate on it carefully and make the right choice.

Last edited:

AfungusAmongus

Smash Apprentice
I consider the baby becoming a person once they're born. Once they take that first breath on their own. Killing after birth is just murder. That principle of mine goes for partial-birth and trimester.
Your view has absurd implications. Partial birth is so called because the kid isn't exactly "born" yet, and in these abortions only enough of the body is exposed to kill it. Does this mean you consider it partially murder? Moreover, you're OK with killing a viable fetus (because it's not yet born) but if the mother has it removed from her uterus first, then killing that same fetus is murder? Why should birth have such moral significance?

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
To all the pro-choice people: where do you draw the line and declare a baby to be a person? Is it OK to kill a baby after birth? Is partial-birth abortion OK? What about other 3rd trimester abortions? Yes obviously abortion is a useful option for women but that doesn't begin to address the reasons people oppose abortion.
Us liberal folk have the bad habit of dismissing that otherwise good point with "who in their right mind gets an abortion at the third trimester?!"

And no one agrees to the after birth part.

As for partial-birth... The definition google gives me isn't the same as the one you're using, so I'm not sure what to decide on that.

NNID
Budget_Player
The point where the fetus could survive induced birth. That is the point where the reasons that abortion are justifiable trickle away - if the woman wants the child out of her, they could just induce birth, get it out of her alive, and call it a day.

...Of course, almost no abortions take place in the third trimester, and of those, almost all of them are due to medical necessity, where the fetus was non-viable anyways. So this point, while philosophically poignant, is not particularly interesting to the reality of the situation at hand.

Last edited:

Zale

Lover of Kittenz and Mittenz
Premium
Considering ethics are an artificial construction of the human mind. I would say nothing really matters.

Abort a baby if you don't want it. Abortion isn't a problem as far as I'm concerned.

Zale

Premium
What an interesting perspective on morality. How do you feel about murder?

-_-
For the progression and survival of the human race, it is probably better we jail/execute the murderer/murderers. It is counter productive to the human race to support murder.

Abortion is different. The parents have their own reasons to make the choice. The unborn baby's conscious brain hasn't even developed yet. Abortion should be 100% up to the mother and father.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Utilitarian and pro choice then.

But you don't consider abortion after the brain has developed murder? Or rather yku don't consider abortion to be abortion unless the brain hasn't developed in which case you do have an opinion on when meaningful life exists in humans?

Zale

Premium
Utilitarian and pro choice then.

But you don't consider abortion after the brain has developed murder? Or rather yku don't consider abortion to be abortion unless the brain hasn't developed in which case you do have an opinion on when meaningful life exists in humans?
I consider a conscious human body to be meaningful. If the human's brain hasn't developed enough to attain full consciousness, then abortion is fine as far as I'm concerned.

There are multiple good reasons to abort (in my opinion), such as not having the capability to take care of a child. Or being ill, or genetically unfit. For instance, if you are prone to multiple types of cancer, or have some type of serious mental condition, then abortion is a good idea in my opinion.

Kaiduru Zeta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kaiduru_Zeta8
3DS FC
1332-7842-2519
I'm pretty much pro-choice. A woman should be able to decide that. No one should have control over a woman's decision for abortion or not.

Shin Chie

Smash Apprentice
I'm all for a woman being able to get an abortion. In my opinion, even though I don't like the thought of an unborn fetus being killed, a woman should be able to abort the fetus. There are many reasons why legalizing abortion would be a good thing that many people have said here such as the woman not being able to take care of the baby or something like an illness.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I'm against it as a form of birth control, I'm for it when it is used when it will kill the mother and other complications.

It is irresponsible to have sex without some form of birth control unless you are planning for it. I consider it to be a life once conception forms life.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
It is a choice that people should be allowed to have. There is no sense in taking away another person's options just because you don't like it.

Yeah, it sucks that the baby will never walk the earth and live life but a woman who uses abortion likely would not have given the baby the life it deserved. The harsh truth is that we are kinda over-populating the earth. If we take away the choice of stopping a pregnancy then the problem is going to get worse at a much faster rate.

And don't throw in the "they should have been using protection" argument. Protection in all forms except abstinence have failed on numerous occasions.

Last edited:

Corigames

Smash Hero
The topic of abortion is a touchy one simply because person hood isn't a term that's easily definable. If I were to kill any of you, then it would be murder. We recognize that the snuffing of a 'human life' against their will is something we should avoid. We also recognize that there's an importance granted to conscious life over that of less than cognizant life, regardless of specie. If you had your appendix removed, you wouldn't necessarily hold a funeral for it despite it being a mass of human cells that was once living.

What seems to be the controversy is determining at what point a developing human achieves person hood: at what point in maturation does an individual earn protections? It's my understanding that a human can pick up certain qualities from their environment in the womb, meaning that things that influence their personality can extend all the way back to pre-birth. To me, this signifies that when brain activity is first initiated in a fetus, that it has achieved person hood. It now has minimal person faculties: personality, memory, etc.

The other complication to this issue is that a human female has to carry what's ultimately a growing parasite inside of their body for the gestation period of roughly 9 months. However, this is not a random occurrence. We are fully aware of how reproduction works and if a person wishes to avoid being pregnant, there are numerous ways to do so while still remaining sexually active. Additionally, there are several ways to terminate a pregnancy prior to the fetus achieving person hood.

With this information and opinions, I'd say that an abortion is ethical as long as the parties involved in the reproduction are in agreement on the termination and the abortion is completed prior to the fetus achieving person hood. If these criteria are met, then I see no ethical violation.

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Last edited:

Whia

Smash Apprentice
Here's something potentially super controversial:

In a vacuum, I don't think murder is necessarily immoral.

Let me finish...

Assuming the murder itself is painless, the only real pain caused by death is the pain felt by those left in the deceased's wake - their friends, family, and community. One can argue that despite the murder victim potentially not feeling any physical pain it's still immoral as something they hold dear (their life) is being taken from them without consent, but my response is simply they're ****ing dead who cares. They're no longer alive to feel that loss, so really why does it matter?

(I have an extremely pragmatic view of morality in case anyone hadn't caught on.)

So the point here is, by what standard would abortion be immoral? Whether or not a fetus can feel pain, when they begin to if at all, and to what extent are all hotly debated (not to mention I don't even know how painful an abortion would even hypothetically be for a fetus), but regardless a fetus is still essentially not cognizant in any meaningful respect. In my opinion, life is only valuable because of the things it affords us - a fetus has no conception of life whatsoever, it couldn't even feel the fear of loss, let alone the loss itself, if you were somehow able to communicate with it. So, if the fetus feels nothing, and the parents feels nothing - or at least not enough to abstain - then what argument is left?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
  • What are your opinions on the justification of abortion?
  • Do you believe it is should be a legal act if it is requested by a mother?
  • Is it morally acceptable/correct?
Let's see...
- I believe abortion is justified. The embryo is brought into existence bu the mother and the father, and they should have the right to decide whether to let the embryo survives or not. Since they will be the ones taking care of the baby once it is born, unwanted childbirth can be really painful and stressing for all the parties, even if the baby is put up for adoption.
I believe that the preferably the parents should be in agreement, but ultimately, it is the choice of the mother.

- I believe yes. Before the embryo is born, the mother is ultimately responsible for it, so the choice should be upto her.

- I believe abortion is ethical only if the mother's health/life is in danger. Otherwise it is unethical as it doesn't paint a good picture of the mother. They should be responsible enough for their sex lives that it doesn't have to come to this, as both abortion or not having abortion are very stressful for the mother and the child.

Abortion should be taken seriously, being a matter of life and death after all, and having a callous attitude towards it condemnable.

D

Deleted member 269706

I'm against it as a form of birth control, I'm for it when it is used when it will kill the mother and other complications.

It is irresponsible to have sex without some form of birth control unless you are planning for it. I consider it to be a life once conception forms life.
This is exactly how I see it. People should be taking responsibility for their actions, not getting away with poor choices.

Whia

Smash Apprentice
This is exactly how I see it. People should be taking responsibility for their actions, not getting away with poor choices.
I think this is fallacious reasoning. Assuming the action in question has no external consequences (so as to disqualify things that can actually hurt other people), what's wrong with getting away with a poor decision in and of itself? In situations like this, the consequence itself is the entire reason it's considered a poor decision, but if we have a way to safeguard people from such consequences, the actions themselves become effectively neutral (so to speak) and so what reason is there then to want to discourage those actions?

D

Deleted member 269706

I think this is fallacious reasoning. Assuming the action in question has no external consequences (so as to disqualify things that can actually hurt other people), what's wrong with getting away with a poor decision in and of itself? In situations like this, the consequence itself is the entire reason it's considered a poor decision, but if we have a way to safeguard people from such consequences, the actions themselves become effectively neutral (so to speak) and so what reason is there then to want to discourage those actions?
Well written response, you have a way with words.

The question you asked me went along the lines of what's wrong with getting away with a poor decision should it have no external consequences (such as harming another person for instance)? The answer to that question is: nothing is wrong with that.

However, this is a moral question. Having unprotected relations is not inherently a bad decision. Having unprotected relations without preparing to bear the responsibility is a bad decision because you were not ready for what's to come.

If you do not value a fetus as life, then terminating it clearly becomes the clear next step. After all, there is no external consequence as you are not harming "another person".

But not everyone sees it like that, myself included.

In my eyes, abortion as birth control is a step or two below murder, but still on the spectrum nonetheless; thus the external consequence becomes harming the fetus. Perhaps it isn't a person, but that doesn't mean that I value it as anything less than one.

Ultimately the external consequence only exists if you believe that the fetus is to be respected as a form of life.

This is my view and I understand that not everyone sees it the way I do. I am not trying to enforce this view, simply stating my side of the argument. Call it fallacious if you will, and I will do my best to not take offense.

Whia

Smash Apprentice
Okay well if you view abortion itself as immoral (on par with taking a life, more or less) then, while I disagree, then fair enough I understand where you're coming from.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Do we think murder is wrong because of the outcome that the person no longer has any ability to effect the world? If we do, why not apply this reason to a potential life that's in development?

SSG SAX GAMER

Smash Apprentice
Do we think murder is wrong because of the outcome that the person no longer has any ability to effect the world? If we do, why not apply this reason to a potential life that's in development?
But if we use that reasoning and apply it to a fetus, doesn't that mean we could also apply to ANY for of potential life? As in each individual sperm or egg

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
But if we use that reasoning and apply it to a fetus, doesn't that mean we could also apply to ANY for of potential life? As in each individual sperm or egg
Meaning contraception is murder? Yep welcome to Catholic dogma. (I wasn't necessarily advocating the position just putting it out there.)

(Samn)

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3153-5057-8213
I think Murder is bad. I think murder of a child is worse. I think abortion should be treated as murder 15 - 30 years in prison. For the women and the doctor preforming it

omgliekkewl

Smash Cadet
Some thoughts and questions for those who consider abortion ethical:

Re: Body Autonomy

Why is a woman's body necessarily her own? If the entirety of her being is comprised of atoms, cells and genetic code that was generated, combined and replicated outside of any decision she participated in, is she not the intellectual property of something greater than herself? Are not her parents the intellectual property of something greater than themselves? Is not humanity the intellectual property of something greater than itself? How can we claim to be our own autonomous masters when our existence, no matter where we are in the human life cycle, is so utterly dependent on the choices of others? Furthermore, if bodily autonomy is considered an inalienable right by pro-choice advocates, why are those same rights negated when it comes to defending the bodies of the unborn?

Re: Fetal parasitism

Does severing the umbilical cord somehow magically afford a human being special status as a self-sustaining, autonomous person? Why? Because the way in which their body absorbs nutrients is no longer directly tethered to their parent? If parasitism negates personhood, should we also disregard the personhood and autonomy of a breast-feeding child who won't live more than a day or two without proper warmth or nutrition provided by their parents? What about an adolescent who relies on their parents to put food on the table? What about someone who suffers from paralysis and would have died many times over if not for their dependence on other people? What about senior citizens who can't perform routine daily activities without assistance? Does this lack of autonomy somehow negate these people's personhood and offer a morally acceptable reason to dispose of them? If not, what differentiates them from the unborn child so much so that they are deemed worthy to live while the defenseless child is treated as a "clump of cells" or "tissue."

Re: Consent and Responsibility

If a person mutually consents to have sex with the full knowledge that their actions can lead to pregnancy, they are absolutely consenting to the pregnancy, even if it's not something they actively desire. If a sober person downs a fifth of Wild Turkey while they're driving in full knowledge of the risks their decision may incur, they become accomplices in their own downfall, consciously consenting to impair their abilities and, in doing so, increasing the chance of being arrested, having their license suspended, destroying their vehicle, killing/injuring an unsuspecting driver or killing/injuring themselves. Are any of these outcomes desired by the drunk driver? No. They weighed the risks and decided the reward of "pleasure" was worth it and, in doing so, consented to the full spectrum of possible consequences. Should their lack of intent/desire really matter if they drunkenly smash into a child crossing the street? Are they not still accountable for the decisions that put them in the compromising position that would risk the child's life in the first place?

Re: The "safety" of abortion

Someone quoted a statistic demonstrating that childbirth is more likely to lead to death than abortion, while completely ignoring the fact that a successful abortion leads to the death of someone 100% of the time. But what's really fascinating is that the very article linked to support this point (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22270271) has an addendum which notes its extensive failures to cite or address studies that utterly contradict their claims, both domestically and internationally. Not only did low-income women in California show significantly higher mortality rates from abortion than childbirth, but a comprehensive study in Finland analyzing the entire population of women confirmed similar findings, finding that after an abortion a woman has a significantly elevated risk of death within the first 180 days and the elevated risk persists for 10+ years. Additionally, there's a dose effect wherein a woman increases her risk of dying by approximately 50% with every abortion procedure she's exposed to.

Re: "There's nothing to tell us what we should or shouldn't do, beyond our own choices and reasoning and desires."

Who says that our choices, reasoning skills and desires aren't programmatically influenced on a molecular level by a Master Engineer? Unless you personally killed God, where do you derive this confidence that "nothing" determines the inner workings of an individual's conscience (let alone the collective moral efforts exerted on a societal level)? If God's existence is even a possibility, your claim is rendered impotent.

Re: Father's rights

As a father of two beautiful boys, I definitely appreciate the tremendous burden my wife had to bear throughout her pregnancies, but her burden does not negate my status as an equal when it comes to parenting and protecting my child, both inside and outside of the womb. That raw material and genetic blueprints comprising that unborn child are no more "her body" than they are "my body." Is the woman's body required for the unborn child to grow? Absolutely. But the man's body is required for the unborn child to exist just as the woman's father's body was required in order for her to exist, so this doesn't get us anywhere in terms of whose decision should take precedence when it comes to whether or not to terminate. Anything less than total transparency and compassionate dialogue between two prospective parents is an exercise in selfishness and, indeed, if a man actively shows interest in loving and raising the child and his decision is undermined because "it's not his body," the woman has selfishly considered her life and happiness more valuable and worthy of preservation than both her partner's and her unborn child's.

Re: The primacy of convenience

It seems like a lot of people cringe at the prospect of abortion as a means of birth control, but this is precisely what the majority of abortions are used for. About half of all women who have abortions have already had one previously. Why? Because it's convenient. When you tell people that they no longer have to be accountable for their actions because there's a magic pill or a painless procedure that will remove all evidence of their poor choices, what incentive do they have to make better decisions? If children are increasingly seen as a burden by our society rather than a blessing, and access to eliminate them before they have a chance to draw a breath is increasingly provided, why would aborting one child be any different than aborting two, three or more? If one is taught from puberty that their own immediate pleasure is so valuable that it's worth sacrificing the potential lives of their own children, it seems hypocritical to click our tongues in disapproval when the fruit of pro-choice labor is revealed in all of its narcissistic glory.

Last edited:

SSG SAX GAMER

Smash Apprentice
Why is a woman's body necessarily her own? If the entirety of her being is comprised of atoms, cells and genetic code that was generated, combined and replicated outside of any decision she participated in, is she not the intellectual property of something greater than herself? Are not her parents the intellectual property of something greater than themselves? Is not humanity the intellectual property of something greater than itself? How can we claim to be our own autonomous masters when our existence, no matter where we are in the human life cycle, is so utterly dependent on the choices of others? Furthermore, if bodily autonomy is considered an inalienable right by pro-choice advocates, why are those same rights negated when it comes to defending the bodies of the unborn?
This is an interesting point that I don't think anyone has brought up before, but I think that the problem with this is that you're trying to conflate what we are biologically, and who we are individually.
If not, what differentiates them from the unborn child so much so that they are deemed worthy to live while the defenseless child is treated as a "clump of cells" or "tissue."
A baby is fully developed by 24 weeks, and abortion is illegal by week 24. What differentiates a non fully formed (by non fully formed I mean they're fully developed in the womb) and a fully formed baby is just that, that one's completely formed and one isn't. If we were to say that a non fully formed baby is a potential life and that it should be treated equal as an actual life, then you could say that each individual sperm and egg are a potential life deserving of the chance to live.
If a person mutually consents to have sex with the full knowledge that their actions can lead to pregnancy, they are absolutely consenting to the pregnancy, even if it's not something they actively desire.
This isn't always the case, in some cases condoms break, or they didn't even agree to having sex. I'm referencing when someone forces someone to have sex without permission not saying the actual word since smashboards censors it.
Someone quoted a statistic demonstrating that childbirth is more likely to lead to death than abortion, while completely ignoring the fact that a successful abortion leads to the death of someone 100% of the time.
It's not just that though. In a lot of cases it leads to people having horrible lives because a lot of people getting abortions are people who can't afford to take care of the baby or don't have a person around to take care of it for them. So it leads to parents struggling to support their kids, and sometimes unsuccessfully, and it also leads to a lot of people getting on welfare and putting pressure on the government to take of them.
Who says that our choices, reasoning skills and desires aren't programmatically influenced on a molecular level by a Master Engineer? Unless you personally killed God, where do you derive this confidence that "nothing" determines the inner workings of an individual's conscience (let alone the collective moral efforts exerted on a societal level)? If God's existence is even a possibility, your claim is rendered impotent.
The reason is that we have autonomy and we can make decisions for ourselves. There are also a lot of scientific studies that our conciousness could (partly) be a byproduct of our senses which is where we get this confidence, you can understand you own reasoning you don't just come up with things. This is also where we get secularism and morality on a societal level. Also, in a lot of religions it is said that God gave us the ability to choose what we become and free-will to think for ourselves.

omgliekkewl

Smash Cadet
This is an interesting point that I don't think anyone has brought up before, but I think that the problem with this is that you're trying to conflate what we are biologically, and who we are individually.
Are you suggesting individuals exist apart from their biology?

A baby is fully developed by 24 weeks, and abortion is illegal by week 24.
Fully developed according to what standard? Their lungs, teeth, taste buds, eyes, hair, fingernails, fat stores and virtually every vital organ are underdeveloped by week 24. Without the assistance of extremely advanced neonatal technology, they would surely die outside of the womb within 24 hours and if they don't die, they are far more likely to experience cognitive and physical developmental issues that otherwise would not have plagued them had they been carried through the full term of their mother's pregnancy.

The question on the table isn't "when does a fetus become a baby?," but "when does a human life begin to exist?" If human life is valuable, what makes a baby more valuable than a fetus if both qualify as human life? Your answer seems to be tied to how many cells the human organism has divided into at some arbitrarily chosen moment in time (24 weeks), as if crossing a certain numerical threshold can somehow add more humanity into a living organism that is already quintessentially human.

What differentiates a non fully formed (by non fully formed I mean they're fully developed in the womb) and a fully formed baby is just that, that one's completely formed and one isn't.
See above.

If we were to say that a non fully formed baby is a potential life and that it should be treated equal as an actual life, then you could say that each individual sperm and egg are a potential life deserving of the chance to live.
Fortunately, this isn't my argument. Rather, my contention is that the moment of conception is the moment a human life is born, not a potential human life, an actual human life. Individual sperm and eggs cells are missing vital genetic information that distinguishes an individual human being from a mere gamete.

The moment the sperm and egg unite to form a zygote, however, a human life is born with an intricate genetic blueprint laying out a developmental path that extends far beyond the womb, detailing each biological stepping stone towards adulthood. The context of the environmental or the time elapsed since the person's initial conception is irrelevant to the fact that their humanity has been intact since the beginning and is universally with them through every stage of their development.

This isn't always the case, in some cases condoms break,
Using any type of contraception is always a measured risk, as no method guarantees 100% success. Thus, my statement holds true as they are consenting in full knowledge that their actions can lead to pregnancy. If this weren't the case, they wouldn't take premeditated measures to decrease the risk.

or they didn't even agree to having sex. I'm referencing when someone forces someone to have sex without permission not saying the actual word since smashboards censors it.
While I agree that this is a categorical exception, it seems somewhat ironic to use it as a defense for abortion. If a woman conceives after being overpowered and violated against her will, unable to defend herself or alter the reality of the violation, is her decision to terminate the life she carries any more ethical when she is violating the will of the child thriving in her womb? In saying, "What I want comes first, no matter the cost, no matter the toll it takes on another human's life" is she not adopting the same philosophy as the person who violated her? Is a human's inability to come to their own defense a genuine criterion for their disqualification as a person and subsequent termination?

It's not just that though. In a lot of cases it leads to people having horrible lives because a lot of people getting abortions are people who can't afford to take care of the baby or don't have a person around to take care of it for them.
According to the nation-wide Finland study I cited earlier, women who had abortions were three times more likely to commit suicide compared to the general population and six times more likely than women who gave birth, so arguing that abortions somehow contribute to a greater quality of life is verifiably false when the freedom promised through the abortion procedure frequently acts as the very snare that exacerbates and ultimately destroys a person's life completely.

As far as economics or other types of hardships are concerned, open adoption is a fantastic option for mothers who know they can't provide the life they want for their child. They not only get to bless a family that likely couldn't have children of their own, but they also get to bless the child itself. By giving up their own pride, vanity, selfish ambitions and even the parental bond itself, they operate according to the highest ethic of love, sacrificing their happiness temporarily so that something greater than themselves would manifest.

So it leads to parents struggling to support their kids, and sometimes unsuccessfully, and it also leads to a lot of people getting on welfare and putting pressure on the government to take of them.
If people are unable to raise their children properly while simultaneously being unwilling to place them into an adoptive family that can provide for basic necessities, the ethical choice is to remain celibate and/or undergo sterilization, not to destroy their offspring to maintain a hedonistic lifestyle free of responsibility.

The reason is that we have autonomy and we can make decisions for ourselves.
We have autonomy by degrees, from conception to death. None of us are ever fully autonomous, none of us ever make decisions in a vacuum outside of external influencing factors. So, even the smallest measure of autonomy or decision making ability is sufficient in distinguishing a clump of cells from a human being. Thus, when a zygote continually demonstrates its will to live by independently (that is, apart from any conscious decision making of the mother or father) replicating, absorbing nutrients and rendering increasingly complex sequences of genetic code into proteins, lipids and other basic building blocks that directly impact its cognitive and physical development, trying to strip it of its autonomy makes no sense.

Does it lack autonomy because it only thrives in a certain context? Don't we all? If I evaporate all of the earth's water or nullify the oxygen production by destroying all photosynthetic organisms, can't the same be said about you and me? Is not the earth merely a large scale womb protecting and nourishing its children? Why then, if we're unwilling to deny our own autonomy despite our immense dependence on our environment, are we willing to deny the autonomy of a child in a parallel situation?

There are also a lot of scientific studies that our conciousness could (partly) be a byproduct of our senses which is where we get this confidence, you can understand you own reasoning you don't just come up with things. This is also where we get secularism and morality on a societal level.
Yes, but our senses are derived from genetic precursors which are derived from chemical precursors which are derived from atomic precursors which are derived from natural laws. The $64,000 question is this: did those natural laws spontaneously emerge from NOTHING, as some seem to suggest, or were they the product of intelligent, conscious, willful effort to create a universe that generated and sustained life?

If we are unable to answer this question with certainty, we have no ground to stand on when we subjectively determine what does and doesn't constitute human life. If we are indeed the product of chance and nothingness, moral relativism is a legitimate worldview and we have nothing to objectively anchor our ethics to, which means trying to answer these questions with a response other than "There is no real moral truth, therefore to each his own" is an exercise in futility. If, however, we are the product of something greater than ourselves, then every single life is a cosmic miracle and we have ZERO authority to decide who lives or dies, let alone what constitutes an ethical decision.

Also, in a lot of religions it is said that God gave us the ability to choose what we become and free-will to think for ourselves.
You cannot invoke God as the source of our existence or consciousness without also invoking him as the source of our morality. If God exists, then only His determination of whether or not abortion is a ethical matters and any attempt to answer this question independent of God's wisdom is obsolete.

Last edited:

Whia

Smash Apprentice
You cannot invoke God as the source of our existence or consciousness without also invoking him as the source of our morality. If God exists, then only His determination of whether or not abortion is a ethical matters and any attempt to answer this question independent of God's wisdom is obsolete.
Assuming of course god even knows what he's talking about. Many would contend he doesn't, but that's neither here nor there.

In any case, it appears as though your opposition to abortion, extremely articulate as it is, is ultimately grounded in theism and consequently a notion of the inherent value of human life. That argument doesn't hold a ton of weight in secular circles and will fall on a lot of deaf ears.

omgliekkewl

Smash Cadet
Assuming of course god even knows what he's talking about. Many would contend he doesn't, but that's neither here nor there.
I'm interested in exploring defensible arguments, not emotionally charged opinions. If a person contends that God doesn't know what he's talking about, the burden is on them to demonstrate the incoherence of His divine character.

In any case, it appears as though your opposition to abortion, extremely articulate as it is, is ultimately grounded in theism and consequently a notion of the inherent value of human life.
The majority of my arguments have nothing to do with theism, focusing instead on the porous and/or unsubstantiated premises undergirding the pro-choice arguments, stretching them to their logical conclusions and highlighting the inconsistencies and contradictions that organically arise from maintaining those positions.

That argument doesn't hold a ton of weight in secular circles and will fall on a lot of deaf ears.
This has absolutely nothing to do with the veracity of my arguments. Rather, it is a reflection of the entrenched anti-theistic bias permeating the hearts and minds of those who claim to follow the evidence. Even the arguments I've made that hinge on God's existence are propositional in nature, qualifying their claims with "if/then" statements that account for the potential for God's non-existence multiple times and point to the ethical dilemmas that arise as a result of secularism being true.

If my arguments are so weak, why aren't secular thinkers refuting them with superior reasoning and scientific evidence? If my arguments are so irrational, why are secular thinkers employing the Genetic Fallacy to dismiss them outright rather than scrutinizing their internal consistency or lack thereof?

Last edited:

Whia

Smash Apprentice
If my arguments are so weak, why aren't secular thinkers refuting them with superior reasoning and scientific evidence?
Because it's an issue of assigning value, something science doesn't necessarily deal in. The overwhelming majority of your argument can be outright dismissed with the simple admission that the life of the fetus is simply valued less than that of the mother's.

Whether a fetus, at any point during its development, qualifies as a human is irrelevant. No matter what labels we're using, we're still dealing with two very distinct entities.

Entity #1 has a social life, the other doesn't. 1 has its own physical and mental health to consciously manage, the other doesn't. 1 has its own resources to consciously manage, the other doesn't. 1 has a far, far greater range of cognitive faculties than the other. 1 also, for what it's worth, (potentially) has other entities who actively rely on it for their own social life, physical health, mental health and resource management, to varying degrees. 1 is part of an immense, material network, 2 is not.

Whereas 2 has a barely sentient existence with virtually no conception of anything who won't even feel the loss of its own life, thereby negating any suffering it may otherwise feel. 2 can't suffer. 1, however, can.

omgliekkewl

Smash Cadet
Because it's an issue of assigning value, something science doesn't necessarily deal in.
Selling your mule to buy a plow, I see. If value is in the eye of the beholder and has no objective, transcendent quality to it, is not every competing worldview equally valuable?

The overwhelming majority of your argument can be outright dismissed with the simple admission that the life of the fetus is simply valued less than that of the mother's.
This is literally the exact same reasoning used by jihadists who justify beheading infidels, whose lives they consider as valuable as an animal being butchered for its meat. Simply replace "life of the fetus" with "life of the infidel" and "that of the mother's" with "that of the believer."

Would you agree that any attempt to identify violent jihad as "wrong" or "unethical" should be dismissed outright given a jihadist's simple admission that there is no redeeming value to be found in the life of an unbeliever? According to your perspective, are they not entitled to ascribe value to human life in whatever way they see fit?

Whether a fetus, at any point during its development, qualifies as a human is irrelevant. No matter what labels we're using, we're still dealing with two very distinct entities.
Indeed. Nazis considered Jews distinct entities from their so-called master Aryan race. Does this justify the Holocaust in your mind?

Entity #1 has a social life, the other doesn't.
1 has its own physical and mental health to consciously manage, the other doesn't. 1 has its own resources to consciously manage, the other doesn't. 1 has a far, far greater range of cognitive faculties than the other. 1 also, for what it's worth, (potentially) has other entities who actively rely on it for their own social life, physical health, mental health and resource management, to varying degrees. 1 is part of an immense, material network, 2 is not.

Whereas 2 has a barely sentient existence with virtually no conception of anything who won't even feel the loss of its own life, thereby negating any suffering it may otherwise feel. 2 can't suffer. 1, however, can.
What makes any of those criteria genuine measures of value?

Last edited:

Whia

Smash Apprentice
Selling your mule to buy a plow, I see. If value is in the eye of the beholder and has no objective, transcendent quality to it, is not every competing worldview equally valuable?
Uh, no. Value ≠ worldview. Those are different words. Extremely different words.

Edit: Actually nevermind, yes. All worldviews are equally "valuable". Note, however, that valuable is not synonymous with valid or correct.

This is literally the exact same reasoning used by jihadists who justify beheading infidels, whose lives they consider as valuable as an animal being butchered for its meat. Simply replace "life of the fetus" with "life of the infidel" and "that of the mother's" with "that of the believer."

Would you agree that any attempt to identify violent jihad as "wrong" or "unethical" should be dismissed outright given a jihadist's simple admission that there is no redeeming value to be found in the life of an unbeliever? According to your perspective, are they not entitled to ascribe value to human life in whatever way they see fit?
Indeed. Nazis considered Jews distinct entities from their so-called master Aryan race. Does this justify the Holocaust in your mind?
Two things:

1) Good, bad, ethical, unethical etc. are all misnomers in my opinion - they're inherently subjective and have no practical application, and so I typically try to avoid those terms. Harm and benefit is my preferred standard.

2) it depends on how value is assigned. Value may be subjective, but if your method for assigning value is flawed, then ultimately your final assessment will be flawed as well.

What makes any of those criteria genuine measures of value?
It's not that they're "genuine" measures of value - it's that we're being asked to make a value judgement predicated on eliminating or minimizing suffering. My criteria do a better job of that.

Last edited:

omgliekkewl

Smash Cadet
Uh, no. Value ≠ worldview. Those are different words. Extremely different words.

Edit: Actually nevermind, yes. All worldviews are equally "valuable". Note, however, that valuable is not synonymous with valid or correct.
How can one establish what is objectively valid or correct with regard to ethics without first establishing what is objectively valuable?

Subjective ethical values necessarily leads to subjective ethical validation.

Two things:

1) Good, bad, ethical, unethical etc. are all misnomers in my opinion - they're inherently subjective and have no practical application, and so I typically try to avoid those terms. Harm and benefit is my preferred standard.
Harm and benefit are no less subjective than good, bad, ethical or unethical.

2) it depends on how value is assigned. Value may be subjective, but if your method for assigning value is flawed, then ultimately your final assessment will be flawed as well.
Down the rabbit hole we go. You seem to be missing the point, despite repeatedly having to shift the goal posts of your argument. If value is subjective then it logically follows that assigning value is also subjective. One cannot assign value without first believing in the subjective value of their value-designation scheme.

This fallacious circular reasoning is inescapable and doubling down on the notion that objectivity can somehow be derived from subjectivity only diminishes your argument further.

It's not that they're "genuine" measures of value - it's that we're being asked to make a value judgement predicated on eliminating or minimizing suffering. My criteria do a better job of that.
Wrong, we're being asked to make a value judgment predicated on whether abortion is ethical. Not only is your contention that ethical decisions necessarily eliminate or minimize suffering completely subjective, but suffering itself is completely subjective.

If intense suffering leads to something incomprehensibly beneficial, who are you to say it is to a person's benefit not to suffer if they could never receive the benefit without enduring the hardship? Considering women who receive abortions are six times more likely to commit suicide than women who give birth, what makes you so sure that your criteria are actually doing a better job? How do you even define better? If a person circumvents physical suffering only to be met with unbearable emotional suffering, perhaps your method for assigning value is flawed, as you suggested earlier.

As a final thought experiment, I want you to consider your argument from a utilitarian perspective. If the elimination of suffering is the ultimate benefit, does that thereby validate any and all efforts to achieve this goal? What if the only way to minimize or eliminate suffering is to inflict suffering, similar to a doctor using chemotherapy to kill a tumor or a leader of a country using military might to destroy enemy combatants who would otherwise harm innocent civilians?

If Nazis contend that the elimination of inferior races will lead to an unparalleled utopia free of suffering, is not the short term suffering brought on by massive genocide an admirable pursuit given its long term goal, according to your perspective? If jihadists contend that the elimination of inferior religious systems and the implementation of Sharia law on a global scale will lead to a similar utopia, is not the execution and/or subjugation of every person who doesn't believe this ultimately a beneficent act if it leads to a flourishing society free of suffering?

Do you not see the inevitable ethical abuse that comes with your relativistic reasoning?

Last edited:

Whia

Smash Apprentice
How can one establish what is objectively valid or correct with regard to ethics without first establishing what is objectively valuable?
"Objectively valuable" literally doesn't make sense - it's an incoherent concept. Something only is valuable if someone external values it. "Value" is not an intrinsic property of something.

Harm and benefit are no less subjective than good, bad, ethical or unethical.
No they're not. You have a central nervous system, no? Pain and pleasure, emotional and physical, are tangibly felt and to an extent can be measured. They may vary from person to person, but they're not subjective.

Down the rabbit hole we go. You seem to be missing the point, despite repeatedly having to shift the goal posts of your argument. If value is subjective then it logically follows that assigning value is also subjective. One cannot assign value without first believing in the subjective value of their value-designation scheme.

This fallacious circular reasoning is inescapable and doubling down on the notion that objectivity can somehow be derived from subjectivity only diminishes your argument further.
You have it backwards. The point is to attempt to start from somewhere objective and make value judgments thusly.

Wrong, we're being asked to make a value judgment predicated on whether abortion is ethical. Not only is your contention that ethical decisions necessarily eliminate or minimize suffering completely subjective, but suffering itself is completely subjective.
So if your ethics aren't built on maximizing human well being, what are they based on? This is a genuine question by the way, not some dumb, rhetorical "gotcha" question.

If intense suffering leads to something incomprehensibly beneficial, who are you to say it is to a person's benefit not to suffer if they could never receive the benefit without enduring the hardship? Considering women who receive abortions are six times more likely to commit suicide than women who give birth, what makes you so sure that your criteria are actually doing a better job? How do you even define better? If a person circumvents physical suffering only to be met with unbearable emotional suffering, perhaps your method for assigning value is flawed, as you suggested earlier.
Well for starters, how about you demonstrate a direct causal link between abortion in a vacuum (lolpun) and suicide. Because your link only remarked on the association but never identified the cause. There are a number of different potential factors. Not to mention, for what it's worth, the results were taken from a sample population in the late 80's-late 90's. Something more modern might be in order.

In any case, the concept of "morality" kind of breaks down, so to speak, at the individual level. What someone wants to do with their own body, free from any outside interference, influence or consequence, isn't a moral issue. Only when other people get involved does it become one. So, if this nebulous "something" has immense benefits only at the end of intense suffering, then, well, I may advise one persists, but it's still not a moral issue, and it's still not my call.

As a final thought experiment, I want you to consider your argument from a utilitarian perspective. If the elimination of suffering is the ultimate benefit, does that thereby validate any and all efforts to achieve this goal? What if the only way to minimize or eliminate suffering is to inflict suffering, similar to a doctor using chemotherapy to kill a tumor or a leader of a country using military might to destroy enemy combatants who would otherwise harm innocent civilians?

If Nazis contend that the elimination of inferior races will lead to an unparalleled utopia free of suffering, is not the short term suffering brought on by massive genocide an admirable pursuit given its long term goal, according to your perspective? If jihadists contend that the elimination of inferior religious systems and the implementation of Sharia law on a global scale will lead to a similar utopia, is not the execution and/or subjugation of every person who doesn't believe this ultimately a beneficent act if it leads to a flourishing society free of suffering?

Do you not see the inevitable ethical abuse that comes with your relativistic reasoning?
Funnily enough I was actually gonna include this in my previous post.

The Nazis likened the Jews to a diseased liver actively poisoning the rest of the human race. IF that were true - IF it could be successfully demonstrated that the mere existence of this group was actively and significantly detrimental to the rest of humanity, and additionally they were, for whatever reason, unable to be reformed in spite of the best efforts, - then yes it does

But of course that suggestion was plainly ludicrous. It was patently, demonstrably false in every way. The Nazi's value judgment of the Jewish people was entirely, unequivocally incorrect, their actions therefore had no practical benefit despite their contentions, and so all the suffering caused was wholly unnecessary.

There's nothing relativistic about my position. Don't confuse relativism with pragmatism.

Last edited:

omgliekkewl

Smash Cadet
"Objectively valuable" literally doesn't make sense - it's an incoherent concept. Something only is valuable if someone external values it.
This is my point. In the same way, something is only considered valid if someone externally validates it. In both instances, the object requires participation of the subject to arrive at any meaningful conclusion about its existence.

In other words, anything whose existence is contingent on something greater than itself can only ever understand reality subjectively, regardless of the topic at hand. This is confirmed by Gödel's incompleteness theorem, which mathematically proves 1. the inherent incompleteness of any consistent system and 2. the inability to prove the consistency of axioms within the system.

"Value" is not an intrinsic property of something.
Only something outside of the system can ever prove its consistency, or in the case of our discussion, its value. Thus, only the creator of the system itself can say whether or not it's intrinsically valuable. Since you are neither the author nor creator of humanity, your determination of whether human life is intrinsically valuable is null and void. If God is the source of objective reality than His determination of something's value is, by definition, objective as His omniscience requires no external reference point.

No they're not. You have a central nervous system, no? Pain and pleasure, emotional and physical, are tangibly felt and to an extent can be measured. They may vary from person to person, but they're not subjective.
Pain and pleasure are not interchangeable with harm and benefit, so your point is moot. For example, the famous Vietnamese monk who self-immolated not only subjectively experienced pain in a much different way than the vast majority of human beings due to his immense mental toughness, but even if we allow for an excruciating amount of pain, the fact remains that he still considered it more beneficial to burn himself alive regardless of the suffering he would have to endure.

You have it backwards. The point is to attempt to start from somewhere objective and make value judgments thusly.
I grasp this point just fine. My issue is with your repeated failure/refusal to demonstrate how one can ever determine an objective starting point.

So if your ethics aren't built on maximizing human well being, what are they based on? This is a genuine question by the way, not some dumb, rhetorical "gotcha" question.
Sacrificial love.

Well for starters, how about you demonstrate a direct causal link between abortion in a vacuum (lolpun) and suicide. Because your link only remarked on the association but never identified the cause. There are a number of different potential factors. Not to mention, for what it's worth, the results were taken from a sample population in the late 80's-late 90's. Something more modern might be in order.
You're avoiding the question. Attempting to pick apart my one example (I could provide many more, if you'd like) does nothing to substantiate your claim.

In any case, the concept of "morality" kind of breaks down, so to speak, at the individual level. What someone wants to do with their own body, free from any outside interference, influence or consequence, isn't a moral issue.
You have to first prove it's "their own" body. As I pointed out in my initial post, the sum and substance of who they are precedes their existence, so trying to claim ownership of atoms, cells and genetic material that preexist you makes little sense. We are the intellectual property of whatever created us.

Only when other people get involved does it become one. So, if this nebulous "something" has immense benefits only at the end of intense suffering, then, well, I may advise one persists, but it's still not a moral issue, and it's still not my call.
This assumes that the unborn child isn't a person, when you've already indicated it is. Their physical development is irrelevant to their categorical distinction as a human being. Thus, according to your own criteria, abortion is a moral issue.

Funnily enough I was actually gonna include this in my previous post.

The Nazis likened the Jews to a diseased liver actively poisoning the rest of the human race. IF that were true - IF it could be successfully demonstrated that the mere existence of this group was actively and significantly detrimental to the rest of humanity, and additionally they were, for whatever reason, unable to be reformed in spite of the best efforts, - then yes it does
At least you're consistent.

But of course that suggestion was plainly ludicrous. It was patently, demonstrably false in every way. The Nazi's value judgment of the Jewish people was entirely, unequivocally incorrect, their actions therefore had no practical benefit despite their contentions, and so all the suffering caused was wholly unnecessary.
While I agree in principle, it's worth pointing out that this "ludicrous" idea was compelling enough to lead an entire nation into war with the world. The fact of the matter is that Nazism was the political manifestation of Nihilism, which embraced wholeheartedly the notion that strength is the ultimate good and weakness the ultimate evil that must be purged. "Strength" and "weakness" can't be proven false because the very definition of what is weak or strong is completely subjective. Unless you are able to anchor your values in something objectively true, you can't refute their arguments, you can only reject them as a violation of your own subjective principles.

There's nothing relativistic about my position. Don't confuse relativism with pragmatism.
In order for a pragmatist's arguments not be steeped in relativism, they must know that which is objectively true in all realms of knowledge otherwise there is no objective basis by which to measure success, let alone define what constitutes practicality.

Last edited:
Top Bottom