• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

is 4 frames of lag okay for fighting games?

Sdhy

Smash Rookie
P.S. play nice please. I'm not into bashing other games.

Hi.
Planning to make an action / fighting PC game.

So, it'll somewhat be inspired by MELEE!!! A game where low input lag / monitor lag is important.

So modern games like Guilty Gear or MvC3 have only 4 frames of lag, which is considered excellent. But 4 frames sounds significant to me.
But then again, an L-cancel in Melee is pretty quick (to me; I'm still slow at Melee).

I don't know much about PC games and input lag, but I imagine shooting games require low input lag.

So I have some questions:

is 4 frames of lag significant or not?

How much input lag/monitor lag does Melee with a crt have? Is it like 2 frames? Or 0.1 frames?

Is an affordable, not-too-laggy PC setup easy enough to get?
I'm aiming for lagless local game play and not so much amazing graphics nor net play (unless lagless net play is practical).

Imo, getting a crt Melee setup was stressful at first, but it was easier than expected and I may have worried more than I had to. Maybe.

Thanks!

KEYLIME SSB

Smash Journeyman
It really depends on what level that you play on. When you start to do frame-perfect momentum cancelling, 4 frames can make a noticeable difference.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
Moniter lag is way worse than in game lag.
4frame of in game lag on a monier with 5 frames of lag = u never gonna get good. Your reactions seems super delayed vs skilled players

Top Bottom