• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 Invitational Tournament competitive feedback (link)

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash

BioZelink

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Biozelink
3DS FC
4811-7130-3977
I can't disagree with this more. The edge game is one of the most exciting things about Smash to me, especially since it makes clutch moments and comebacks very possible.
To each his own. I don't wan't to see a player play better the whole match and then just get gimped. I want to see action, combos smart moves not a character just hanging on the ledge and getting a stock by just grabbing the ledge. It's not really exiting. But doing a zero to death kill by playing great, now that is exiting for me. Again, to each his own.

BioZelink

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Biozelink
3DS FC
4811-7130-3977
I can't disagree with this more. The edge game is one of the most exciting things about Smash to me, especially since it makes clutch moments and comebacks very possible.
To each his own. I don't wan't to see a player play better the whole match and then just get gimped. I want to see action, combos smart moves not a character just hanging on the ledge and getting a stock by just grabbing the ledge. It's not really exiting. But doing a zero to death kill by playing great, now that is exiting for me. Again, to each his own.

D

Deleted member

Were you dash dancing in place like Greninja in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab31LkmKEys#t=47

or were you dash dancing more like PP in this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMJDiUH3kAA#t=29

That's a pretty important distinction there :-P
It was like the greninja video, keep in mind though It was not a gamecube controller that I used, it was a wii u pro controller, but regardless, as of now though it seems wavedashing will not be of much use in ssb4.

Also I've seen some people saying that marth got major nerfs and isn't as good anymore....I thought that he was easily one of the top 3 characters at the demo, marth's counter deals broken levels of damage. Little mac did the KO special thing, I countered it and he died at 30%. The best character in my opinion was Villager though, dear god every move on that kid is murderous. I would also say the worst chars at the demo where sonic and zelda, found them difficult to deal a final blow with.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
It was like the greninja video, keep in mind though It was not a gamecube controller that I used, it was a wii u pro controller, but regardless, as of now though it seems wavedashing will not be of much use in ssb4.

Also I've seen some people saying that marth got major nerfs and isn't as good anymore....I thought that he was easily one of the top 3 characters at the demo, marth's counter deals broken levels of damage. Little mac did the KO special thing, I countered it and he died at 30%. The best character in my opinion was Villager though, dear god every move on that kid is murderous. I would also say the worst chars at the demo where sonic and zelda, found them difficult to deal a final blow with.
Wut... You mean Dash Dancing?... Which means it's pretty much gone nya. Dash Dancing in place gives no advantage but thanks anyways!

And Marth has always been played based on his aerials, Fsmash, Dtilt, and grabs only nya. Those seem to be the nerfed things. Counter has never really been part of his metagame so far, or any of his B moves for that... So that explains the impressions.

Last edited:

menotyou135

Smash Journeyman
Are you the same hitzel who was a Mod at MLG?

Goten21

Smash Journeyman
Watching kirby vs zero suit samus, the only real match we got to see, It was very clear who was the better player and who was the better character. Kirby looked pretty bad other than a decent throw, and zero suit looked amazing with great range and speed.

And everything looked SO SLOW. SO VERY SLOW.
What exactly are you talking about? I have missed so much content, lmfao
Could you please give me a link or smth?

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
He obviously wasn't playing better if he got gimped.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
No, not really. If he plays falco who has a bad recovery, a smash attack could easily get him out of the stage.
That's a misguided point. You play Falco knowing you have a bad recovery. If you get hit off the stage it's entirely your own fault for getting hit, more especially, if you like to camp near the edge and are still afraid of getting gimped.

If you don't want to get gimped because of bad recovery use Mewtwo.

BioZelink

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Biozelink
3DS FC
4811-7130-3977
Were you dash dancing in place like Greninja in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab31LkmKEys#t=47

or were you dash dancing more like PP in this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMJDiUH3kAA#t=29

That's a pretty important distinction there :-P
It's funny how no one does it, but you can achieve the same effect of Melee's dash dancing by first dash dancing in place, like in brawl, and then to move you use fox trotting, and right after dash you can still switch direction, that means you can continue dash dance. I'ts the same, but instead of just dashing, you fox trot. In brawl Fox tooting was unsafe because of tripping, but here it seems fine.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
It's still not as dynamic as a dash dance. The strength of the dash dance is the ability to variate the distances in which you travel with your dash, it allows you to step into and outside an opponents space. It is a very small commitment, because as long as your spacing is in line with your ability to react to your opponent, you are able to escape if something unexpected happens. Without the option of dashing away, the dash forward is a much larger commitment on your part, as you are locked into the full dash and have no means of moving backwards.

I assume you can still shield stop as well as jump out of shield, so it's not terrible method of movement. That doesn't account for everything though, as a dash forward will engage your opponent. Either your opponent moves away, you attack, or your opponent attacks you.

Top Bottom