• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Introducing TAUNT BATTLE - A new way to play Melee!

NNID
dansalvato
TAUNT BATTLE

Introducing Taunt Battle! This is a new game mode I coded for Melee. It goes on top of the 'Bonus' mode. Requires a softmodded Wii with Gecko OS Mod or DIOS MIOS.

The code: http://pastebin.com/hg0DUDfY

Some additional info not covered in the video:
  • It doesn't matter who capes the taunt; if it gets caped, the color is switched.
  • An extra 1.5 seconds is tacked onto respawns to give falls more of a penalty.
  • Sudden Death is currently not functional; may be updated later but it's not a priority.
Hope you enjoy this release!

Rian

Smash Cadet
I couldn't really find the way to load this puppy. I created a .gct file using Ocarina Cheat Code Manager, then I boot using the DIOS-MIOS (Lite) bootloader. The game boots fine, but stalls at the point of loading the stage. The PAL version starts playing the stage music, but the display stays frozen at the NOW LOADING screen. Any help would be much appreciated, as I would really love to play this!

[Edit]
I tried GeckoOS, USB Loader GX and WiiFlow, all without any result... Using GeckoOS simply starts bonus mode instead of TAUNT Battle.

NNID
dansalvato
1:10 - DAT SPACING

This looks ****ing awesome. Please tell me you can use other characters...
Technically, yes, it works with other characters. But, many other characters have too short of a taunt for the mode to be fun. Mario's taunt is so great because your teammate has to defend you for a good 3-4 seconds while you turn into a gigantic target. Plus, the point-stealing mechanic is only programmed to work with Mario's cape.

You could try having teams with one Mario and one other character, with only the Marios being allowed to taunt.

I couldn't really find the way to load this puppy. I created a .gct file using Ocarina Cheat Code Manager, then I boot using the DIOS-MIOS (Lite) bootloader. The game boots fine, but stalls at the point of loading the stage. The PAL version starts playing the stage music, but the display stays frozen at the NOW LOADING screen. Any help would be much appreciated, as I would really love to play this!
The current code is only for NTSC Melee, v1.02. To work on other versions or PAL, it would need to be ported.

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Haha, this is awesome! I'm gonna play it later today with my roommates. :D

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
Hey IE, any guides on how to get this to work besides the tidbit of info you gave? I can't seem to get it to work. All I end up getting is regular Melee when I load with DIOS MIOS and the Gecko OS mod only seems to want to read Discs, which my Wii can't do.

NNID
dansalvato
Hey IE, any guides on how to get this to work besides the tidbit of info you gave? I can't seem to get it to work. All I end up getting is regular Melee when I load with DIOS MIOS and the Gecko OS mod only seems to want to read Discs, which my Wii can't do.
Use the latest version of CFG Loader instead of the DIOS MIOS loader. It has DM support. https://code.google.com/p/cfg-loader-mod/downloads/list

Also, make sure your version of DIOS MIOS is the latest, v2.10: http://www.logic-sunrise.com/forums/files/download/4929-dios-mios-lite/
(DM and DM Lite are packaged in the same download; DM loads from USB while DM Lite loads from SD.)

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
Use the latest version of CFG Loader instead of the DIOS MIOS loader. It has DM support. https://code.google.com/p/cfg-loader-mod/downloads/list

Also, make sure your version of DIOS MIOS is the latest, v2.10: http://www.logic-sunrise.com/forums/files/download/4929-dios-mios-lite/
(DM and DM Lite are packaged in the same download; DM loads from USB while DM Lite loads from SD.)
Yeah I have all this and load GC games frequently without issues. I'm just having trouble loading the actual Taunt Battle hack itself. Do I need a GALE01.gct in the codes folder and then turn Ocarina on in CFG Loader? (Which I've done plenty of times) Or is it by another method such as ISO insertion?

NNID
dansalvato
Yeah I have all this and load GC games frequently without issues. I'm just having trouble loading the actual Taunt Battle hack itself. Do I need a GALE01.gct in the codes folder and then turn Ocarina on in CFG Loader? (Which I've done plenty of times) Or is it by another method such as ISO insertion?
codes/GALE01.gct is the way it's done. All I can offer is to double-check that your version of CFG Loader is v70r65, and that you are running v1.02 of Melee. This version of the code won't work in Melee v1.00, it would need to be ported.

edit: Also remember that you need to go to Bonus mode, lol. The easiest way to test is that after selecting Bonus, the game should be locked on Team Battle, and you can only choose between red and green teams.

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
codes/GALE01.gct is the way it's done. All I can offer is to double-check that your version of CFG Loader is v70r65, and that you are running v1.02 of Melee. This version of the code won't work in Melee v1.00, it would need to be ported.

edit: Also remember that you need to go to Bonus mode, lol. The easiest way to test is that after selecting Bonus, the game should be locked on Team Battle, and you can only choose between red and green teams.
Got it working now, thanks a bunch IE, this game mode is amazing!

_Liquid_

Smash Cadet
This looks awesome! Would it be feasible to mod the .dol to include this code, or is it too big?

Rian

Smash Cadet
The current code is only for NTSC Melee, v1.02. To work on other versions or PAL, it would need to be ported.

Got it working! It also works with the DIOS-MIOS Booter using an ISO, remember that you have to put the .gct file in /games/GALE01/GALE01.gct in this case (the game ID for NTSC Melee).

Thanks a bunch IE!

NNID
dansalvato
Got it working now, thanks a bunch IE, this game mode is amazing!
Got it working! It also works with the DIOS-MIOS Booter using an ISO, remember that you have to put the .gct file in /games/GALE01/GALE01.gct in this case (the game ID for NTSC Melee).

Thanks a bunch IE!
Hey guys, glad to hear you got it working! I updated the code with some minor changes. Really the only visible thing different is that KO stats are retained and displayed after the match like normal (the old code shows 0 KOs for everybody all the time). If you feel like grabbing it, I updated the original link with the new code, and it's indicated by an "r2" in the code title.

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
Hey guys, glad to hear you got it working! I updated the code with some minor changes. Really the only visible thing different is that KO stats are retained and displayed after the match like normal (the old code shows 0 KOs for everybody all the time). If you feel like grabbing it, I updated the original link with the new code, and it's indicated by an "r2" in the code title.
Thanks for all the work you put into this. I brought it to my Smash group today on campus and everyone loved it and had a blast!
All Falco's and all Mario's make for the best time so far haha. I also noted that YL's taunts don't count at all, is that on purpose?

NNID
dansalvato
Thanks for all the work you put into this. I brought it to my Smash group today on campus and everyone loved it and had a blast!
All Falco's and all Mario's make for the best time so far haha. I also noted that YL's taunts don't count at all, is that on purpose?
Doc and Young Link have taunt routines that are separate from the rest of the cast, and so I never considered including them in the code.

vanhuynh16

Smash Cadet
This looks like a lot of fun! I can't wait to try it out, and will you also maybe make this available for project M also if possible?

_Liquid_

Smash Cadet
TAUNT BATTLE
I love this new mode IE! Really a fresh and fun addition to a game that's over 10 years old. Is it possible to swap the moves of Dr. Mario with Mario either by codes or file replacement for use in Taunt Battle? My friends were getting mixed up between playing Mario and lighter Mario after switching off the controllers and about an hour of play time.

WumpaWolfy

Smash Cadet
Wow lol this was surprisingly entertaining, I expected it to just be footage of random online taunt parties I'd run into all the time online in brawl. Seems like it would be perfect for a drinking game.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
Hey @ Dan Salvato Dan Salvato we're really liking this mode here in Wisconsin but we also want to be able to play regular doubles. When we play regular doubles with the taunt battle code enabled, the matches don't end when stocks run out. Switching back and forth to disable the code is annoying. Is there anyway to fix this myself or get a code update?

Thanks

NNID
dansalvato
Hey @ Dan Salvato Dan Salvato we're really liking this mode here in Wisconsin but we also want to be able to play regular doubles. When we play regular doubles with the taunt battle code enabled, the matches don't end when stocks run out. Switching back and forth to disable the code is annoying. Is there anyway to fix this myself or get a code update?

Thanks
I'm aware of this issue, and as you would guess, it's a bug. I'll have to run some tests of my own but I plan to fix it soon.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
just noticed that P1 as ICs and taunting seems to add 2 points for P1, P2, and P3

edit: probably just me? caping doesn't switch who the points go to. idk what i could have done wrong :<

Last edited:
NNID
dansalvato
just noticed that P1 as ICs and taunting seems to add 2 points for P1, P2, and P3

edit: probably just me? caping doesn't switch who the points go to. idk what i could have done wrong :<
I didn't write this code with ICs in mind and I don't really plan to fix it for them, haha.

NNID
dansalvato
I've updated this code to fix a bug that prevented regular team battles from properly ending. The new version (r3) is in the pastebin. @ F FrootLoop Please let me know if this fixes your issues. :)

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
Sweet thanks dude!

Looks like the 20XX pack interferes with the taunt battle code (red mario's taunt starts green) unfortunately but I will just keep a clean iso on my usb hard drive alongside 20XX.

Appreciate the update =]

NNID
dansalvato
Sweet thanks dude!

Looks like the 20XX pack interferes with the taunt battle code (red mario's taunt starts green) unfortunately but I will just keep a clean iso on my usb hard drive alongside 20XX.

Appreciate the update =]
I fixed another bug in the code, it might work with 20XX now.

hi im 47

Smash Cadet
So ummmmmmm. Really noob question, but how do I set this up with dios mios? I have everything ready, but I don't know how to add the code in. Sorry if this was already answered, but I just really wanna play this.

BBOY15

Smash Apprentice
Really glad to see that Melee is continuing as a party game and not just a competitive game!

NMH

Smash Rookie
Does Dr Mario's cape work for stealing taunts? And does it work with 20XX yet? Btw you're an amazing person.

Top Bottom