• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokkén Tournament Into the Woods - The Sceptile Social

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Wow, I love your Sceptile, really solid and how you play in field phase is phenomenal, I usually put things on the field and I try to bait the opponent but how you use all those projectiles is incredible for me.
In duel phase you pressure the opponent constantly and very well, also your wall combos are definitely better than mine even if the damage scaling is really high (I noticed that the last Leaf Blade does only 5 damage).

Keep up the good work!
Even if it scales, you wanna try to do it anyway cause of the meter build. Found a better option to make someone respect me on wakeup and i get a combo from it :)
You had a hour of footage, i can't look at all that lol.
you right lol

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I've come to the conclusion that the trick to beating heavy zoning in field is to mainly run, only throwing projectiles sparingly or to punish.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
I've come to the conclusion that the trick to beating heavy zoning in field is to mainly run, only throwing projectiles sparingly or to punish.
Side Y basically throws sceptile a mile across the field at 3488438mph so you can use that for quick positioning while throwing out a trap. Make sure to throw out B Y when you have the chance

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Side Y basically throws sceptile a mile across the field at 3488438mph so you can use that for quick positioning while throwing out a trap. Make sure to throw out B Y when you have the chance
Most of the time when I try to to side y to dodge projectiles, I just get hit while recovering. I hear you with Magical Leaf though. Throw it out then keep running and dodging, then when it triggers either close in and strike or restrict their movements with traps while they block.

Last edited:

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
i noticed the easiest thing to do is once they block the first petal, use X,X,(hold X) and its an instant phase shift regardless of them blocking

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
i noticed the easiest thing to do is once they block the first petal, use X,X,(hold X) and its an instant phase shift regardless of them blocking
It is also funny to run up and grab when they throw up their block preemptively for the leaves. Also has the benefit of beating the counter they might try.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
It is also funny to run up and grab when they throw up their block preemptively for the leaves. Also has the benefit of beating the counter they might try.
cant grab during blockstun so you have to be careful. The other is kinda of a guarantee

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
cant grab during blockstun so you have to be careful. The other is kinda of a guarantee
I said preemptively, as in before the first leaf actually hits. I mention this since some people who are good with counters may use it to absorb the leaves and counter the x approach or just dash away.

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
I found some Sceptile combos while playing Pokken. Not sure if this is known or not.

Field: Sceptile is decent in field phase but not the best. you can throw out jump Y which doesnt have a hitbox that makes your opponent flinch but if it survives long enough it will turn red and send out projectiles that each flinch the opponent and auto home in on them giving you a free X combo. It will die if certain moves hit it or if you get hit or even block an attack. other than that in field phase space with lead blade (up + A) on characters that cant punish it and use his traps (jump A) in a way where you cant be punished, usually when you r far away. Against characters that spam projectiles try to get semi close and use back + A and hold it. Sceptile will swing through the air and if you can get close try and hit them with an air X.

Duel: So here you gotta condition your opponent. Your down + A is a long ranged grab that sucks away a small amount of their health AND synergy then gives it to you. They dont want to get hit by this. Once they do get hit and understand the move, they will most likely jump next time so try to read them and dash up with a up + A for raw damage. Also if you do get down + A and they are near the ledge you can wall combo by dashing up with one X into up + A. Having your opponent backed against the wall with sceptile in duel phase is scary for them, once you get used to it you can start winning the 50/50 on reaction. You also cancel down + A with the shield button to dash backwards or forwards. this can help to get the read. note that they can also wake up with a light or strong attack to negate your down + A, but it they are put in the same position. Just get ready to react to whatever they choose do after you see the red shield on them.

Duel Phase combo 1: Y,Y A(hold forward to move a little closer while in the air) Y, X,X This combo does decent damage, not a whole lot since sceptile is speed.

Duel phaseCombo 2: Y,Y(hold forward to move a little closer while in the air) Y, down + A. This is a reset combo into the grab. use while they are next to the wall to go into the wall combo for huge damage.

Fully charged counter combo: After a fully charged combo, forward + Y, delayed Y, back X, charged X. You can end this combo with Up + A instead of charged X for a tiny bit more damage but its not worth it since up + A gives you an attack nerf anyway.

Wall combo: Down + A, dash up, X, Up + A. Up close using sceptiles jump X can be good since he can usually jump again before most characters can do something. Hanging in the air with jump shield THEN coming down with air X can be tricky for them as well. Sceptiles air x doesnt always auto correct to which side they are on for some reason though so be careful. Its not like other characters dive kicks. on taller characters coming down with air Y is perfectly safe on block but can whiff on some smaller characters unless you time it just right. you can combo into combo 1 and 2 from both air x and air y.

An extra little thing that some people dont know is that when you hold up with sceptile in duel phase he gradually regains his recoverable health.

I think Sceptile is very fun to play as, but probably one of the worst. No way to zone at all in duel or field phase and even when he gets close his damage is low. A lot of characters can punish a perfectly spaced leaf blade and you only get damage off your long ranged grab if they are by the wall, plus leaf storm gives you a damage nerf that lasts a decent amount of time. In burst most characters can spam a good move and remain safe but if you jump over Sceptiles leaf blade while hes in mega hes very punishable. Most characters have a dive kick type move in the air usually their air strong that goes towards the opponent, but sceptiles goes straight down every time and doesnt auto correct sometimes. For being a speed character hes not all that fast. His combos are probably the most difficult to pull off which isn''t saying much but they don''t do much damage. Leaf storm isnt always a reliable anti air and loses to normals all the time even if they are very late on reacting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I found some Sceptile combos while playing Pokken. Not sure if this is known or not.

Field: Sceptile is decent in field phase but not the best. you can throw out jump Y which doesnt have a hitbox that makes your opponent flinch but if it survives long enough it will turn red and send out projectiles that each flinch the opponent and auto home in on them giving you a free X combo. It will die if certain moves hit it or if you get hit or even block an attack. other than that in field phase space with lead blade (up + A) on characters that cant punish it and use his traps (jump A) in a way where you cant be punished, usually when you r far away. Against characters that spam projectiles try to get semi close and use back + A and hold it. Sceptile will swing through the air and if you can get close try and hit them with an air X.

Duel: So here you gotta condition your opponent. Your down + A is a long ranged grab that sucks away a small amount of their health AND synergy then gives it to you. They dont want to get hit by this. Once they do get hit and understand the move, they will most likely jump next time so try to read them and dash up with a up + A for raw damage. Also if you do get down + A and they are near the ledge you can wall combo by dashing up with one X into up + A. Having your opponent backed against the wall with sceptile in duel phase is scary for them, once you get used to it you can start winning the 50/50 on reaction. You also cancel down + A with the shield button to dash backwards or forwards. this can help to get the read. note that they can also wake up with a light or strong attack to negate your down + A, but it they are put in the same position. Just get ready to react to whatever they choose do after you see the red shield on them.

Duel Phase combo 1: Y,Y A(hold forward to move a little closer while in the air) Y, X,X This combo does decent damage, not a whole lot since sceptile is speed.

Duel phaseCombo 2: Y,Y(hold forward to move a little closer while in the air) Y, down + A. This is a reset combo into the grab. use while they are next to the wall to go into the wall combo for huge damage.

Fully charged counter combo: After a fully charged combo, forward + Y, delayed Y, back X, charged X. You can end this combo with Up + A instead of charged X for a tiny bit more damage but its not worth it since up + A gives you an attack nerf anyway.

Wall combo: Down + A, dash up, X, Up + A. Up close using sceptiles jump X can be good since he can usually jump again before most characters can do something. Hanging in the air with jump shield THEN coming down with air X can be tricky for them as well. Sceptiles air x doesnt always auto correct to which side they are on for some reason though so be careful. Its not like other characters dive kicks. on taller characters coming down with air Y is perfectly safe on block but can whiff on some smaller characters unless you time it just right. you can combo into combo 1 and 2 from both air x and air y.

An extra little thing that some people dont know is that when you hold up with sceptile in duel phase he gradually regains his recoverable health.

I think Sceptile is very fun to play as, but probably one of the worst. No way to zone at all in duel or field phase and even when he gets close his damage is low. A lot of characters can punish a perfectly spaced leaf blade and you only get damage off your long ranged grab if they are by the wall, plus leaf storm gives you a damage nerf that lasts a decent amount of time. In burst most characters can spam a good move and remain safe but if you jump over Sceptiles leaf blade while hes in mega hes very punishable. Most characters have a dive kick type move in the air usually their air strong that goes towards the opponent, but sceptiles goes straight down every time and doesnt auto correct sometimes. For being a speed character hes not all that fast. His combos are probably the most difficult to pull off which isn''t saying much but they don''t do much damage. Leaf storm isnt always a reliable anti air and loses to normals all the time even if they are very late on reacting.
You don't "zone" in field phase, you run and punish their reaction to Magical Leaf while laying down traps if you have time. Sceptile isn't the fastest but he's still mobile enough to avoid most projectiles by simply running, and he can also hang in the air to ride out the wave if he gets stuck. Zoning is a bit more problematic in duel, but he can still hang and use the detect counter to move ahead, plus he does not need to get that close compared to others.

He's much more survivable than the other speed characters due to his higher health and regenerative capabilities, and can compensate for his lower damage via his defence-lowering moves like his side ranged (when it explodes), up+y and detect.

Leaf Storm is bad anti-air, but he has better ones anyway with Toxic and his light aerial, which is fantastic air-to-air that can be aimed. He doesn't have a dive kick because Bullet Seed does the same thing without as much risk. His air heavy, while it can be awkward at times is useful for it's ability to make Sceptile basically invincible as he vanishes, which can make it nice in a tight spot.

And if you're looking for moves to "spam" in burst, Magical Leaf activates twice as fast, his throws go from being some of the weakest to some of the strongest (which are important when your opponent is trying to block your burst attack), and Leech Seed fires four mines that activate very quickly and cover huge amounts of ground, making it very easy to condition fighters in duel. Not to mention his down+y which is surprisingly hard-hitting for it's range and speed.

Acker

Your fate is clear!
NNID
AckerPro
3DS FC
2063-0367-4665
Just a correction meleebrawler meleebrawler , the A aerial move it's not called Magical Leaf, it's called Leech Seed.
Magical Leaf is the A aerial of Gardevoir.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Just a correction meleebrawler meleebrawler , the A aerial move it's not called Magical Leaf, it's called Leech Seed.
Magical Leaf is the A aerial of Gardevoir.
I know aerial A is Leech Seed, Magical Leaf is what I call his aerial ranged attack since it's basically the same thing.

Acker

Your fate is clear!
NNID
AckerPro
3DS FC
2063-0367-4665
I know aerial A is Leech Seed, Magical Leaf is what I call his aerial ranged attack since it's basically the same thing.
Ah ok, I misunderstand what move you were referring to.
If I'm not wrong it's official name is Petal Blizzard but it's really similar to Magical Leaf, yeah.

Comet Knight

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ben.Y32
3DS FC
2208-6123-2254
Ah ok, I misunderstand what move you were referring to.
If I'm not wrong it's official name is Petal Blizzard but it's really similar to Magical Leaf, yeah.
Sceptile can't learn Petal Blizzard but can learn Magical Leaf, and it acts very similar to Gardevoir's Magical Leaf, so it has to be the same move.

Top Bottom