• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Interviews From EVO: "What Does EVO Mean To You?"

SmashBoards Thumbnail.jpg

The fighting game community’s diversity is tremendous, with people hailing from many different backgrounds. It’s insightful to see people's fighting game stories, and how they differ from each other.

At EVO 2019, I asked a few about their stories, ranging from fighting games they grew up with, to what EVO means to them. Check it out!

Author’s Note: What did you think of the video? Also, as asked in the video: If you could only play five fighting games for the rest of your life (Assuming they’d all have active communities), what would they be? Let us know in the comments below!

Blackimar

Comments

EVO meant something to me when it was Melee and Tekken 7 and Street FIghter. Now it doesnt mean as much due to A. the lack of Melee B. they're letting any game be in there now instead of really earning it, and C. It's not as entertaining as it once was (this is a personally opinion)

EVO meant something to me when it was Melee and Tekken 7 and Street FIghter. Now it doesnt mean as much due to A. the lack of Melee B. they're letting any game be in there now instead of really earning it, and C. It's not as entertaining as it once was (this is a personally opinion)
While I think losing so much interest because one game isn't on the list anymore is strange, I can respect that. However, claiming that they're letting "any game be there instead of really earning it" as you say not only serves to put down the communities that play those games, but also disregards the importance of most of these new additions. For example, Samurai Shodown is the revival of a beloved legacy franchise within the FGC, BlazBlue Cross Tag is one of Arc System Work's most ambitious titles. Heck, I don't know how you can say that when Under Night, a game that (similar to Melee) has no dev support, started with just a small scene, and has showed pretty big organic growth due to an insanely passionate community riding for it was a mainstage title this year.

Seems much more like you're unaware of games that get added, rather than them not deserving to be there. I'd highly recommend giving some of those games you don't think should be there a chance if so.

Top Bottom