• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Interview w/ Sakurai

Gumshoe87

Smash Cadet
It's good to know that he supported a lot of the things that we did such as voice chat. This is Nintendo's fault as usual, they are far too protective of their children (like Marlin in Finding Nemo)

Also he is very aware of Smash's popularity and says he isn't tired of doing it yet.

He says "When- I mean if- the next game comes out" lol

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
IGN: We have to ask because there are so many rumors about this. Are there any hidden characters to come? Can you unlock more hidden fighters by way of WiiConnect24 or will you offer new downloadable content -- new fighters, for example. -- using the service?

Masahiro Sakurai: No. There are no characters that can be unlocked via connecting to WiiConnect24 or interacting in that fashion. And I may be mistaken here, but the Wii doesn't have a hard drive -- it's a disc-based system -- so I don't think we'll be doing that, I don't think it's going to happen.

W00T! NO DLC!

M.K

Level 55
IGN: Smash Bros. is a very competitive series, but you have avoided detailed online stat tracking and leader board ranking systems for Brawl. Why is that?

Masahiro Sakurai: Well, I'm sure that people hitting ranks one through 10, were there such a ranking system, would be incredibly pleased with it and having a lot of fun. But, you know, it's not fun for everybody involved per se if such a system were to exist. I was asked this time around to try and get Wi-Fi into the game and so certainly we've managed to get wireless battles so you can play with people in other places. But it's really a game in my mind that has been designed to be played with a smaller group of people -- be that a group of friends or within your house a group of family members -- competing in the small circles and not really worrying about winning and losing so much as the process that gets you there. That is where the fun should hopefully be for a lot of people. It can also be kind of trying and painful for some people who want to be at the top and think that they're really good at Smash and they look at their online ranking and they're the one-hundred-thousandth best Smash Bros. player -- those are some of the reasons I've decided not to go with leader boards.

IGN: Why can't players in random online matches communicate or even see each other's names? What's the philosophy behind that?

Masahiro Sakurai: When thinking about this game and when realizing that we were going to do Wi-Fi, we had to think a lot about the whole idea of communication over the Internet. When we were doing this, one of the things that we paid a lot of attention to is the fact that there are a lot of unpleasant experiences to be had out there, be that being insulted over the Internet or that sort of thing. You know, it's one thing if you're used to it and you're playing a first-person shooter online with 16 people and you know these guys and you're trading insults back and forth and yelling at each other, that's all well and good. But when you've got new players, and one thing I've aimed to do is to really bring new players into the fold, if this is their first online experience I want it to be a pleasant one. I want to dodge and avoid those kinds of situations that could make the whole experience online psychologically damaging or unpleasant, so that's one of the reasons we've decided not to include that feature.

^^Nintendo, NOT Sakurai, makes me sick! Unpleasant Experiences? Yeah, gouging my eyeballs out is unpleasant. Playing the GREATEST game ever made online is NEVER unpleasant.

Libomasus

Smash Journeyman
What is wrong with DeDeDe? They must really suck.

IGN, get your knowledge straight. What losers...

Thanks for the heads-up btw.

slimpyman

Smash Journeyman
i guess alright stuff. hopefully he quits being reserved and starts new smash bros development asap. he can be the most adored man in the world.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace

Y'know, Dedede might be pretty bad for the super-casual playstyle of the IGN team and players like them. For instance if one character had a very poor ground game but a decent air game, a super casual player who does not short-hop aerials and mostly sticks to ground attacks and specials might find that character to be a lot worse than they really are.

Of course I haven't played Dedede yet so I have no idea what makes them thing he's so bad. Looks pretty good from a competitive standard to me.

Libomasus

Smash Journeyman
Y'know, Dedede might be pretty bad for the super-casual playstyle of the IGN team and players like them. For instance if one character had a very poor ground game but a decent air game, a super casual player who does not short-hop aerials might find them to be a lot worse than they really are.

Of course I haven't played Dedede yet so I have no idea what makes them thing he's so bad. Looks pretty good from a competitive standard to me.
Exactly. IGN you blatant ****s, learn how to edgeguard!

I wonder what 1-up would do with an interview like this. They're my favorite, even though some of their writers are also my most hated. They tend to understand most cult gaming communities.

Evilken

Smash Rookie
mmh

I just don't understand. Maybe i'm wrong but, there will be a Mario Kart channel, where you can DL some contents for the game. And Sakurai said the wii cannot implements those contents in general... Why DLC is impossible via a SSBB Channel?

Evilken

Smash Rookie
mmh

I just don't understand. Maybe i'm wrong but, there will be a Mario Kart channel, where you can DL some contents for the game. And Sakurai said the wii cannot implements those contents in general... Why DLC should be impossible via a SSBB Channel?

EDIT: Sorry for the stupid node bug, I have double posted :@

ODIN787

Smash Journeyman
all is well ,that interview prooved that sakurai new what we wanted but could not cause of their stupid rules. sakurai does what nintendont and that is understand his fans.

UncleGrandfather

Smash Cadet
Ehhh, no DLC is not the worst thing in the world. At least now the mods will be able to lock all the threads about it instead of there being so many of them.

It does seem very much like Sakurai completely agrees with Nintendo's policies though. It's not like Nintendo forced him to not use voice chat. I'm not sure that he would have done it even if Nintendo had allowed it.

It's always good to know that Sakurai supports Skype though.

Skype for Brawl!

cobaltblue

Smash Journeyman

Ironicly insults like this is why the man chose not to go along with voice chat.

It really does make sense though as the competive/idiot portion of smash players who trash talk would tarnish nintendo's family friendly name. You can say there is voice is other games such as DS wars, but Smash is one of nintendo's flag ship titles which means its held to a higher standard.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
I was about to go on another tirade about how gimped online isn't to protect the children so much as it is to cater to the Japanese, but then Sakurai spouting that line makes me wonder...

NoNessNoProblem

Smash Ace
I honestly don't believe this...So many games probaby asked because everyone knows about Smash and they can boost a certain characters sells up from this game alone. See MGS4

IGN: Have you received interest from other third parties who would very much like to have their characters included in Smash Bros. Brawl?

Masahiro Sakurai: Nope. No other ones.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
The main issue with the harddrive is not really that there is none but that it's simply too small, by a business aspect it would not be the best idea to have download content take up so much when alot of people have a number of VC games and such as well. And accessing content files from a SD card isn't always the fastest method when it comes to immendent access.

6uardianAngel

Smash Rookie
YES SKYPE.!

We should support that as a community as an alternative to voice chat.

... but the IGN THINKS that Nintendo will address a voice chat solution by the end of '08.
I doubt that considering the lack of .. wait -- actually NO form of communication whatsoever in Brawl.

Even a virtual keyboard would've sufficed .. in the FRIENDS room. Then you could converse about options but you can't.

Top Bottom