• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Internet Connection Problems

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
Ok, so I used to connect two computers to one wireless router, one computer was directly connected to the router, the other was connected to a wireless adapter. Well the computer connected to the Wireless Adapter got a virus, and I had to delete everything and start fresh. I plugged the adapter back in, and the light turns green, but no internet. Just for references, I have a Motorola SBG900 Wireless Surfboard Gateway for my wireless router. If someone could help me that would be great! Is there supposed to be a program I have to reinstall now since I restarted my computer? Any help would be great!

M3WTW0 J0SH

Smash Cadet
Did it come with some kind of install disc or something? That might be the problem. Either that or you some how wiped your router. Though I think that's impossible.

XavantTheEnigma

Smash Journeyman
Install Disc, is for the win. If you cannot find it, then you will have to download drivers from the website. Your computer doesn't know how to operate the Wireless Adapter, that's why you need them. But if the light turns green, I dont know if that is indicating if it's receiving wireless signals or it's just powered on.

/me shrug

Your router shouldn't have any problems, as the software/drivers/firmware needed to run the router is already installed on there.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
No, you don't need any special programs or drivers to use a Wifi router. You WILL, however, frequently see CD's shipped with Wifi routers that say "WARNING: RUN ME FIRST".

Nonsense, don't listen. You don't need to run that CD. Wireless adapters (the card that actually plugs into your computer) need drivers, your router does not.

As for you, Jedi... What does "delete everything and start fresh" entail? did you reinstall your operating system, then? What OS are you running? Also, let me get some details clear here about your network...

When you say "connected directly to the router" do you mean a wired connection? Are you using a laptop for the computer you're talking about now? What adapter do you have?

Does your other computer still have internet access? If not, does your internet access work not using the wireless signal? (IE: a wired connection to the router)

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
Ok I figured out the problem, I needed a Road Runner installation disk so that the computer could link it up. But now I have a new problem my CD-ROM file has co mpletely disappeared from My Computer. It won't read anything. help?

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Are you trying to say that you can't use your CD Drive at all? Have you tried using different kinds of CD's? (Music CD's, Data CD's, Game CD's, etc...)

If nothing works for it, you probably have to reinstall the drivers for it. Let us know if you get to that point.

XavantTheEnigma

Smash Journeyman
My CD-ROM drive is plug and play, so it should work. I've installed an alien DVD-drive into an older model computer and it seemed to work just fine. I could be wrong.

If your computer does not show up in My Computer, check your BIOS settings and see if it recognizes your CD-drive. If it does, you could try for drivers if they have any... but you'd have to get it from the website. You can also check your device settings in Control Panel > Administrative Settings > Device Manager (or Computer Manager then find the Device Manager)

All of this is from mind. We had a problem in a classroom on our campus with one of the computers where it didnt show up a CD drive. I tried ejecting the tray from the drive and it didn't work so I cracked the case open to find out that for some reason, the CD-rom drive isn't plugged into the power.If it doesn't crack open for you, then it's a power issue. If it does, then your computer is just not recognizing it. Sometimes people can play with the BIOS settings and tell your computer not to recognize it.

Top Bottom