• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Internet connection advice request

vottiking

Smash Rookie
To start off, I'm NOT one of those people who can't spare 20 bucks.

I understand LAN is always better, it's obviously true. The problem is that it would be a lot of trouble for me to get it set up: I'd have to buy powerline, a new UK-to-EU plug adapter, LAN adapter and even get permissions from my landlord...

These are my WiFi stats as determined by the Switch:

- 3 out of 4 signal strength

- 17.0 Mbps download speed

- 4.0 Mbps upload speed

Also, I'm guaranteed to have no ping spikes, it hasn't happened once.

So, do I have to go through all the trouble or would you say I pass the acceptable threshold for serious online play?

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Even if your Wifi is good, it doesn't hold up to a stable connection that LAN provides which fighting games need as packets are constantly exchanged.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
My advice. Either get an Ethernet cable, a wired LAN cable, or don't even bother with the Nintendo Online Service.

I'm not paying $20 a year to play some scrubs with toaster internet.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I was considering writing up a whole post about this but I don't want to indenture myself to answering a bajillion questions so I'll just say this...

Wifi is unreliable. It's unreliable because, no matter how strong of a signal you have, literally every electronic device that's operating nearby can screw it over.

Wireless base station phones function on the same frequencies (usually) and can destroy your wifi. If your neighbor puts up a wifi network that's operating on the same channel as yours, your wifi will suddenly become garbage. Sometimes wifi routers are good about swapping channels to avoid this but a lot of the time they aren't.

I repeat for any who don't get it: WIFI IS NOT RELIABLE AND NEVER WILL BE!!!!!!!!

Play at your own peril, including the risk of being banned for too many disconnects, if you play over wifi.

Top Bottom