• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Interesting Aura Sphere Mechanic

Lwin

Smash Cadet
NNID
LwinIsPolite
First of all, hello Lucario boards. I very recently picked up Lucario and have been looking and doing research in this forum.I came upon an odd little interaction between moving platforms and aura sphere.
If you launch AS so that it will look like it's rolling on the platform, by the time it reaches the end of a platform it will slow down so that it travels in sync with the platform. In other words, it will create a stationary hitbox relative to the moving platform until it dies out. This will undoubtedly have its uses, albeit situational ones. I understand it may seem difficult to visualize, but I have a capture card to record this but it's very easy to replicate. Simply go on smashville and throw aura sphere in the same direction as the platform is moving so that it goes through the platform but most of the sphere is above it, more or less. At higher aura, it's enough to stand the platform and use AS for it to stick.
If the platform suddenly halts like smashville's does naturally, then the projectile will zip out forward, I'm assuming to where the AS would be had is velocity not been altered. Sometimes this happens suddenly without the platform halting. It seems that it happens if you aim AS too high.
I apologize if this was known, but as I said I've been lurking and haven't seen any mention of it so I thought I'd try to share this. I also apologize for any spelling or grammar mistakes as I wrote this all with a phone.
One more thing, if it turns out this is a new discovery can we please call it Sphere Locking? I just think that sounds so cool lol.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
First of all, hello Lucario boards. I very recently picked up Lucario and have been looking and doing research in this forum.I came upon an odd little interaction between moving platforms and aura sphere.
If you launch AS so that it will look like it's rolling on the platform, by the time it reaches the end of a platform it will slow down so that it travels in sync with the platform. In other words, it will create a stationary hitbox relative to the moving platform until it dies out. This will undoubtedly have its uses, albeit situational ones. I understand it may seem difficult to visualize, but I have a capture card to record this but it's very easy to replicate. Simply go on smashville and throw aura sphere in the same direction as the platform is moving so that it goes through the platform but most of the sphere is above it, more or less. At higher aura, it's enough to stand the platform and use AS for it to stick.
If the platform suddenly halts like smashville's does naturally, then the projectile will zip out forward, I'm assuming to where the AS would be had is velocity not been altered. Sometimes this happens suddenly without the platform halting. It seems that it happens if you aim AS too high.
I apologize if this was known, but as I said I've been lurking and haven't seen any mention of it so I thought I'd try to share this. I also apologize for any spelling or grammar mistakes as I wrote this all with a phone.
One more thing, if it turns out this is a new discovery can we please call it Sphere Locking? I just think that sounds so cool lol.
I too have noticed this with Smashville, & now I'm thinking if this would word with Town and City's platforms (they probably do). As far as slopes on a stage go, an Aura Sphere fired will travel across the slope & then dip downward, straightening out it's own linear attack direction once the slope terrain is past. I hope to come across more interesting results like these.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbPEnCrm2hE

I already sort of documented this back in December. It's a very unusual physics exploit to say the least. You won't see it happen often, but it has uses for denying options while someone is recovering. Probably better use in doubles if anything.

No need to give it a name. It's just a mere physics exploit. I doubt I am the first person to find it, but if I am, then...no name because I don't care. ;)

Last edited:

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Any moving platform this works on. Including stage tilts from Castle Siege part 3. It might have some more use if it cannot be reflected where it'll hit us, but that requires a bit more research.

Last edited:

Pentao

Smash Apprentice
This property also effects custom Aura Spheres in a strange way.

If you do this with a Snaring Aura Sphere, it sometimes turns into a normal aura sphere for some reason.

Lwin

Smash Cadet
NNID
LwinIsPolite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbPEnCrm2hE

I already sort of documented this back in December. It's a very unusual physics exploit to say the least. You won't see it happen often, but it has uses for denying options while someone is recovering. Probably better use in doubles if anything.

No need to give it a name. It's just a mere physics exploit. I doubt I am the first person to find it, but if I am, then...no name because I don't care. ;)
Oh well then lol. But aren't many AT's just physics exploitsexploits the results of which are useful/unexpected?
Back on topic though the only stage where I can see this exploit being useful on is smashville where you can repurpose default AS to deny the platform for recovery. I couldn't get useful stuff to happen with the slower AS.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Like I said, it only works when someone is a platform is heading towards someone that is recovering, as an example. If they don't know about it, they may not expect it to suddenly stall on the platform or it might clip someone when it zooms off it. It's more to scare someone if anything.

MandL27

Smash Cadet
I started to notice this when I was rapidly creating custom stages with sloped flooring then firing an Aura Sphere uphill (as my userbox says, I main Lucario in Smash 4). If SSB4-3DS gets a tournament scene, and Green Hill isn't rebanned, I can see this getting some usage there as well.

Pentao

Smash Apprentice
but it has uses for denying options while someone is recovering.

I actually had an instance of this occurring yesterday (which means, hey, the patch hasn't removed this) during one of my ladder matches on Anther's. I was facing a Samus player and I fired an Aura Sphere. It eventually got snagged onto the moving platform, and the Samus player air dodged the sphere initially, only for it to get stuck on the platform, killing Samus because it lasted until the air dodge ran out.

Top Bottom