• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Intentionally being bad: the next level of play for Peach

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
If you don't feel like reading this whole thing skip to "here" but it makes more sense if you read the whole thing.

If you haven't noticed yet, sometimes not doing the "Right" thing is a good thing to do against highly skilled opponents.

Not always fastfalling, recovering poorly, just plain old doing stupid things, is sometimes a good idea.

This can apply to peach in just dsmashing someone's shield 3 times in a row. Of course, one should do this when they're expecting some kind of other response after the dsmash, like a spotdodge or a roll. (Read->Drephen).

More specifically, I've been thinking recently how to apply this to Peach's shield pressure game.

The recent spamming of CCgrabs by both Marth and Sheik, have made Peach's FC->slap game very ineffective. Also there are many people who now will just wait after aerials for you to do something else on their shield and just grab you after that is over. Most characters buffer their aerial attacks now with something else (another attack or spotdodge), so merely waiting for a few frames after the initial aerial hit accounts for the large majority of mixups in the shield pressure game.

Even for the ones it doesn't, using this method combined with CCgrabs captures even more of the mixups.

Peach's solution?
Being bad at smash in the form of missing lcancels

-here-

I looked very hard for the video Ryoko had up where he demonstrated how the lag on Peach's fair makes her duck under Sheik's grab range. Undoubtedly any Peach player has had this work in his advantage a couple of times unintentionally, but perhaps it's time to make it an intentional tactic?

Keep getting shield grabbed by a sheik? Maybe it's time to stop FCing all your aerials and approach with a slightly less than FCed Fair. Peach's advantage is there is little difference in the way a FC'ed aerial and an nonFC'ed aerial look, the bait should work (in theory) against someone spamming Shield grabs.

Other uses of this idea:
Fair lag ducks these character's grabs:
Sheik
Ganon
Marth?

Nair lag ducks these character's grabs:
Ganon's

I'd love to make a complete list of which lags duck which grabs.

Thoughts/input/criticisms/suggestions?

soap

Smash Hero
hitting shields with lag doesnt seem like a good idea at all, by your reasoning there are too many out of shield options that easily counter. do something smart like grab them immediately after landing if they like to wait.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
The problem is after they miss a grab or two, they're going to start doing other things out of shield. With people like Falco especially, I like JC'ing my shield and just shffl'ing a dair or something. Marth could probably use a fair and Sheik could... I dunno, bwd and dtilt.

I guess it would work once or twice as a situational mindgame - just kinda as another thing that your opponent has to worry about - but it doesn't seem safe to use repeatedly.

Alternately, couldn't you just fc a fair and then dsmash? The dsmash does a lot of shield damage, and combined with the fair would probably be enough to shieldstab, and if they tried to CC grab, they'd get ravaged.

Just a thought.

EDIT: Oh, and here's the vid.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1DavS35HGDE

JFox

Smash Hero
Bad idea. You want people to be in the habit of trying to grab when u FC fair, cuz your FC is fast enough that you can punish if they try to grab with dsmash, jab, or another nair.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
The only way you could build that habit is to let yourself get shieldgrabbed which is an even worse idea.

Sh0ckwave

Smash Journeyman
Good Peaches should focus more on timing than being as fast as possible or downgrading their game to use tactics that will hardly work because they shouldn't even exist. Up against someone who shield grabs as soon as you come down with a FC'ed aerial? Double jab them. Up against someone who waits for the double jab? Jab once, then dsmash or grab.

Or if the person is smart enough, you'll need to mindgame and alternate between the two.

Simple.

Samochan

Smash Master
Mixups and prediction are the keys. :3 But also being very fast does have it's advantages when it comes to breaking shields and pressuring in overall, I like quick fc nairs/fairs into one slap into fc nair to dsmash. :3

Queen

Smash Apprentice
They can grab after the second jab, there are a few frames while it's out that it doesn't have a hitbox...o_O

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Between the first and second jab and after the second jab it can be SG'ed.

The best way to prevent being SG'ed, in my experience, has been a slightly delayed first jab. By delaying it a frame or two I manage to hit people trying to SG me out of their grab animation. Otherwise I jab their shield then get grabbed after the first jab.

Either that or FC-> Spotdodge or FC->grab/dsmash. Those options typically end up without being SG'ed. This idea just seemed to be something which could be interesting, I was just trying to start some discussion.

Magus420

Smash Master
Jabbing in general after FCs can be shieldgrabbed everytime no matter what the timing if they tilt downward slightly and spam shieldgrab, which they really should be doing if someone is relying on slaps too much.

I prefer FC->Dashdance->___ over FC->Slaps->___ for pressure myself though. You can do so much beastly **** with it.

Top Bottom