• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Intentional phantom hits.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
I am currently perfecting forced/intentional phantom hits. It will add layers of depth to my gameplay.

Simple question, has anyone else experimented with intentional phantom hits? Can anyone do them consistently? I'm practicing with the hitbox bubbles so I can get a feel of the distance needed in order for the boxes to slide acrossed eachother with minimal contact (phantom hit). Progression is quick.

Yeah. It's gonna be interesting.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
You still do the same damage right? In that case this would be a wicked thing to learn.

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
If a Jigglypuff misses a Rest you could spam phantom hits to rack up damage instead of just getting one hit.

But ****, that'd be hard to perfect.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
i find the effort and time spent in perfecting phantom hits, rather than advanced techniques, and tournaments, will all be regretted in the end.

just highly due to phantom hits being worthless.

personally, i cant even think of many benefits of phantom hitting, rather than actual hitting.

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
I have to say that I can't really think of a situation where a phantom hit would be a good thing...unless you can space yourself well enough to land like 3 phantom fsmashes as Marth on a broken shield/missed rest, then right before they wake up, tip the last one. Even then, I think a fully charged tipped fsmash would be better anyway.

Also, I can land intentional phantom hits against a non-moving opponent (I learned how when I was bored a while back), but doing it against a moving, jumping foe takes reflexes. If you're going to try and learn something that requires that amount of timing and spacing, I'd suggest you take up powershielding instead. It's much, much more useful.

EDIT: Red Exodus, phantom hits do half damage, not full. That's one of the other reasons I don't think their worth it.

You know, on second thought, it might be worth learning just because of how insanly flashy it would look to spam phantom hits on a missed rest. Man, just imagine the cheering if a pro did that! XD Yes, I'm aware that this contradicts the entire rest of my post.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I think he could be useful for doing damage without knocking your opponent away from you, but I don't think there's a reason to do that.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
I know it's quite a worthless thing to learn but it's coming quite naturally. It's all a matter of experimentation to find which moves are broken when the effects of their knockback and stun are removed. Imagine landing all of peaches dsmash hits due to perfect spacing, or things like that.

And I'm quite unsure of rest, since not only do the hitboxes have to interlap in order for the move to work, the characters mass does as well.

Although it's a worthless technique it's flashy and at least I can say I can do it :D Got nothing else to learn.

Mars-

Smash Champion
Actually I was trying this too. I figure I can phantom hit my smash attacks, do amazing damage, and then after they hit me I can destroy them since they have so much damage.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
even if u hit the opponent with a phantom hit, they are more than ready to counter hit u, and they will knock u off the screen.

i always hate losing stocks because of this, and i use marth, so i aim for the tip, but sometimes i get phantom hits, and get counter hit in return.

on top of that, ur phantom hit does only half the amount their counter hit back at u, even with peach's dsmash, it would be only 23 damage, and thats not really worth it when peach is so floaty.

Mars-

Smash Champion
WTF are you all talking about, if you master phantom hits, it will improve your game. Even TheManaLord said so.

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
just today, my friend landed a phantom rest on me. i just sat there for a sec like 'what the...', then i rested him. it was funny. but yeah, phantom hits would only be useful against a jiggy that missed a rest. thats it. i mean seriously when are you going to break someones shield in a real match?

cradmazy_SKAG

Smash Ace
shieldstabbing is a much more noteworthy cause.

phantom hit = 1/2 damage. ZERO knockback / ZERO delay inflicted to your opponent.

im a bit confused why you would want to intentionally phantom hit...

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Yea i really can't see why you would want less damage and no knockback... but if your bored more power to yo haha

Cra$hman

Smash Lord
I think theres more to phantom hitting than just barely scraping the hitboxes, just based on the fact that marths intentionally try to hit with the very edge of their fsmash so you'd think you'd see that phantom hit a lot more often.

yugi9267

Smash Cadet
So you want to master pahntom and get my gmae totaly scrapped.

A phamton Warlock Punch on a Pichu at 503% is really frustring cause you get killed by someone who something like 480 damage over you!!!

Phantom hit have no knockback, why waste time on them.

Citrussed

Smash Journeyman
The only situation which Intentional Phantom hits would be useful would be for racking up damage against an opponent who missed a rest/shield break.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
See, since nobody does this **** you gotta keep experimenting to see where it will work. With all the moves and situations in the game there's always the possibility of something that will be good. Just gotta try. I have nothing else to do. Teched out.

cradmazy_SKAG

Smash Ace
See, since nobody does this **** you gotta keep experimenting to see where it will work. With all the moves and situations in the game there's always the possibility of something that will be good. Just gotta try. I have nothing else to do. Teched out.
:confused: you are one confused little chip chip

practice shield stabbing instead!!!

Aftermath

Smash Champion
It might be useful actually, not for the damage or anything, but a ghost hit (less syllables = better term) usually throws off the opponent because they receive the hitfreeze of the move (the time during which you can smash DI) and you don't, so if you were able to pull them off consistently, it'd almost always lead into another attack (at least a tilt) while the opponent realizes what just happened.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
intentional ghost hits (aftermath O_O) eh?
i guess that would be cool to just link multiple ghost hits on a missed rest or broken shield.. but i would rather charge up a smash or something. i would be really impressed if someone did that to me tho.

Top Bottom