• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Instant Rollout Reversal

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWsLhJ9NLDs

This bug ONLY works when the initial Rollout is going right.

It also works on Rollout 2 (lol) but only the first 2 turns.

If attempted on a leftward Rollout of non-max speed, Jigglypuff spins in place at the edge. (This is of dubious value)

Last edited:

Coonce

Smash Apprentice
After messing around with it for a bit, it seems like more of a gimmick. You still need to charge it for decently long, which is a big giveaway. It might be useful against characters with no projectiles, but ones that have them will easily stop you.:c

TPM_23

Smash Cadet
I actually knew about this since earlier this week, but I didn't think it was an actual tech, I just thought Rollout changed direction instantly if you started in the air. It's cost me about 5 stocks in For Glory when I use Rollout as a recovery from the left side of the stage and try to switch left to hit the opponent (expecting the slow turn) and do an immediate 180, flying off the stage.

Hitzel

Smash Ace
After messing around with it for a bit, it seems like more of a gimmick. You still need to charge it for decently long, which is a big giveaway. It might be useful against characters with no projectiles, but ones that have them will easily stop you.:c
It seems to me that this technique will be useful for getting guaranteed punishes on the landing lag of up-B's and such that you would otherwise have to time or aim in some way.

Coonce

Smash Apprentice
It seems to me that this technique will be useful for getting guaranteed punishes on the landing lag of up-B's and such that you would otherwise have to time or aim in some way.
I don't know. I feel like if you have the time to charge it up for a punish, you have the time to maybe get in a rest or bair. So far my best use of this was to break someone's shield. I think it takes 3 or 4 passes to break the shield. Basically as soon as she goes through the shield the first time, mash the stick left and right as fast as possible. It's quite terrifying if done properly. But still, the charge time is what kills its usefulness.

Limbose

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0748-3141-7837
So far my best use of this was to break someone's shield. I think it takes 3 or 4 passes to break the shield.
Yeah, I've done that a couple times too. Although, I've been having issues turning instantly more than 2-3 times. Is that just 'cause I'm not doing it fast enough, or is that the cap?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWsLhJ9NLDs

This bug ONLY works when the initial Rollout is going right.

It also works on Rollout 2 (lol) but only the first 2 turns.

If attempted on a leftward Rollout of non-max speed, Jigglypuff spins in place at the edge. (This is of dubious value)
Having watched that, I don't think that would be particularly useful in general. When would you even use it?

Elthon

Smash Rookie
I used it a few times. I have only used it to kinda stall and get to a different location. But its kinda dangerous. I bet someone will make a good use out of it though.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
It's useful online where nobody sees it coming. Either they'll shield and you can apply pressure or they won't be able to react to it and you get a free hit. The masses are gonna find out about this sooner or later so abuse it while you can.

Coonce

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I've done that a couple times too. Although, I've been having issues turning instantly more than 2-3 times. Is that just 'cause I'm not doing it fast enough, or is that the cap?
I'm not really sure, to be honest. I've only done it once and I haven't tested it much out of concern for my circle pad.

Mettie7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mettie7
3DS FC
2191-8121-7929
This is fun, I'm sure there's mindgame uses and shield pressure against non-counter and non-projectile characters.

RedBeanPorridge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RedBeanPorridge
3DS FC
3823-8771-4471
Alright I just managed to do it, and I was pretty surprised that I managed to pull it off myself. Basically what I did was after the the first collision with the opponent's shield I just vigorously jerked the circle pad left and right and then their shield breaks. I think with a bit of practice I might be able to master doing it. Anybody with an amazing connection or are close to asia wanna test it out with me?

Coonce

Smash Apprentice
Alright I just managed to do it, and I was pretty surprised that I managed to pull it off myself. Basically what I did was after the the first collision with the opponent's shield I just vigorously jerked the circle pad left and right and then their shield breaks. I think with a bit of practice I might be able to master doing it. Anybody with an amazing connection or are close to asia wanna test it out with me?
I mentioned this briefly in a different thread but I believe the reason is possible is mainly due to making contact with something (in this case, the shield). When your hits land, both player suffer something called hit lag (also known as hit freeze or hit stop). Basically it's when everything stops after a hit connects to make it feel like the hit had more weight. Hit lag is reduced significantly when making contact with a shield verses landing the hit, but it still does exist.

I tried testing this in training on 1/4th speed, and it seemed like just mashing directions wasn't good enough. There is some weird time window you need to do your turnaround. But, I believe that window is independent of hit lag. Meaning, if the window is between frames 3 to 15 after the last turnaround, and hit lag lasts 2 frames, you could buffer directional inputs during the hit lag to get several more turnarounds. Which would explain why it's so difficult to do enough turnarounds without hitting a shield.

But as a disclaimer, I think this technique is useless in competitive play. The charge time on the rollout still kill this move's effectiveness.

RedBeanPorridge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RedBeanPorridge
3DS FC
3823-8771-4471
I mentioned this briefly in a different thread but I believe the reason is possible is mainly due to making contact with something (in this case, the shield). When your hits land, both player suffer something called hit lag (also known as hit freeze or hit stop). Basically it's when everything stops after a hit connects to make it feel like the hit had more weight. Hit lag is reduced significantly when making contact with a shield verses landing the hit, but it still does exist.

I tried testing this in training on 1/4th speed, and it seemed like just mashing directions wasn't good enough. There is some weird time window you need to do your turnaround. But, I believe that window is independent of hit lag. Meaning, if the window is between frames 3 to 15 after the last turnaround, and hit lag lasts 2 frames, you could buffer directional inputs during the hit lag to get several more turnarounds. Which would explain why it's so difficult to do enough turnarounds without hitting a shield.

But as a disclaimer, I think this technique is useless in competitive play. The charge time on the rollout still kill this move's effectiveness.
I feel like each time you collide with the shield it allows you to reset the direction of your rollout by pushing the circle pad in the opposite direction in the small time frame of hit lag which delays each collision with the opponent's shield. By jerking the circle pad about I was able to hit every input on time. This may be why you can only instantly change the direction of your rollout a couple times when not hitting a shield. I'll have to play around with this a bit more.

I've found hyper rollouts to be a bit less gimmicky than i initially thought. Though situational, my opponents never expect the instant turn around and dont react to it in time.

Deadshot

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1220-6935-7547
I did this on accident once I think, but really rollout got pretty nerfed it feels like, so I'm not even that stoked.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Awesome. I know that the Wii U and 3DS versions are basically going to have the exact same mechanics, but if this is a glitch, it might not appear on the Wii U one.

NoPLo

Smash Cadet
NNID
NoploSnowman
This thing doesn't work any more after 1.0.4 patch. I tried it.

RedBeanPorridge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RedBeanPorridge
3DS FC
3823-8771-4471
This thing doesn't work any more after 1.0.4 patch. I tried it.
Yeah it was the first thing I checked when i got the update. Damn I used it a lot to catch people by surprise and break shields almost 100% of the time. Never realised how bad rollout is until they patched this. Before I used rollout every time I tried to come back to the stage. Now Rollout just feels so much more sluggish. R.I.P. Hyper rollout :(

Top Bottom